Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Super Humanoids All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween

Format: HardcoverChange

on February 19, 2013
I had purchased this oracle deck because I am absolutely head-over-heels in love with Lucy Cavendish's "Oracle of Shadows and Light" and was moved and inspired by her amazing interpretations and messages for each of the cards. Not only that, I was especially moved by the artwork. To me, the artwork along with Lucy's explanations and meanings behind them is what really made me connect with that deck... and so I bought this deck having fell in love with the artwork after seeing pictures of the cards. I now sorely regret my purchase.

What I received was nothing like what I had saw online. Blue Angel has modified the deck and made a 2nd edition which, in my opinion, is uglier. So what's different?

** Each card had its own different color border that blended in quiet nicely with the artwork. This made for a very full, vibrant-colored deck. Now, each card is confined to the same cream colored border that looks awkward, out of place, and makes each card seem 1-dimensional.

** The back of the cards, which had once conveyed an air of mystery with its pentacle star, is now the Lady Titania card with a brown border.

** The packaging itself has also changed. Instead of the cover image being that of the Wild Huntress, it is now of the Lady Titania as well.

** Some of the cards has had their artwork changed -- for the worse! The Chenguang card in particular went from being a colorful and inviting symbol/icon of a dragon to a lame and boring depiction of what looked like a Chinese emperor with a random (ugly) dragon.

The artwork is certainly beautiful on an individual level for each card, but I was rather turned off by the complete lack of artistic consistency within this deck because the art comes from seven different artists. With only 43 cards, its very easy to see the lack of artistic flow from one card to another. Classic art (Lady Titania), beautiful fantasy painting-like art (The Dragonfae Goddess Tiamet), cartoonish art (Brigid and The Morrighan), to realism (Gwynne & Elluish) -- it's all here.

This deck is certainly not of Lucy's best either as far as the interpretations for each card goes. In her Oracle of Shadows and Light, her writing was extremely moving as it touched you on a really deep and personal level. I did a reading with the dragonfae deck, and while it wasn't necessarily inaccurate, it was too general and the divination meanings seemed uninsightful, and lacking in depth that was seen in her Oracle of Shadows and Light.

Lastly, I'm unsure as to whether or not the art was specifically made for this deck, but I'll go on a whim here and say that it wasn't, because it would be hard to believe otherwise. It seems like Lucy went and picked random artwork that had to sort of look alike, but not quite consistent, and had at least one dragon/fairy/butterfly/any "winged" creature/object in it somewhere just to claim that the person or being in the picture is a "dragonfae". In her Oracle of Shadows and Light, the semi-equivalent of the Time Guardian was the Angel of Time. The artist who drew that entire deck clearly depicts in the artwork of the Angel of Time card, the meanings and interpretations behind it onto the card itself. This was demonstrated by seeing clock gizmos on the angel's wings and in her background. Yet, in the Oracle of the Dragonfae, the Time Guardian depicts a random (yet beautiful) dragon, yet nothing in the image conveys the message that there is no need to feel rushed, or that there is a lack of time. Almost every card tragically suffers from a lack of identity or correspondence to its message. Combine that with everything I said above, it was VERY difficult to connect with this deck on any level.

Overall I really wanted to love this deck, especially after being absolutely blown away by Lucy's former Oracle of Shadows and Light, I expected to find that same quality in this deck. If the second edition didn't change the borders and the artwork of the cards, I might have been more receptive to it in its original form, concerning its artwork. Don't get me wrong, the artwork is certainly beautiful, but they do not convey the interpretations Lucy has given them at all, nor are they artistically consistent.

If you enjoy having different forms of art within your deck and not caring whether or not if the image you are seeing has anything to do with the interpretation, then you would like this deck. I personally don't feel blessed to have this deck in my oracle collection and wish I could send it back.

***I have uploaded images of the packaging and what the cards now look like in the new 2nd edition.***
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 11, 2008
This is an absolutely gorgeous set of oracle cards visually. As with all Blue Angel Gallery products, I adore their bigger included book size, and the quality of their cards. Each of the artists used in this tarot deck are so gifted - I loved loved LOVED each of their representations, and the different energies it brings to this deck.

Aside from the beautiful visual aspects though, I need to say that this is one of the most powerful, accurate oracle cards I've been blessed to experience. Every reading I have done with it has been amazingly accurate, and the wisdom in these cards is powerful and deep.

I also need to say that from the covering box, I at first didn't pick up these cards because it has such a dark cover. I'm so glad I did though - inside it is shining with light, and the friendship of the Dragonfaes.

My highest ho! to Lucy for creating these oracle deck of miracles... you are such a blessing!
HALL OF FAMEVINE VOICEon September 29, 2008
"Dragonfae are powerful and bring deeper understanding and clarity to all things...they tend to come into our lives to remind us who we really are and to active aspects of ourselves that we may have forgotten...Dragonfae help us to access knowledge from deep within. They are truly happy to be seen, felt accepted and heard as they have deep mystical knowledge to share--and they are your kin, and a part of who you truly are." - From the Oracle of the Dragonfae companion book

I first heard of Lucy Cavendish when I experienced her uplifting and profound wisdom through the Oracle Tarot. Lighthearted yet soul centered, her insights were accessible and well, magical!

Although I had no idea what "Dragonfae" were, when I found out she was authoring a new deck titled Oracle of the Dragonfae, I was intrigued and excited.

Well, I received it in the mail today, and it has far exceeded my expectations. I'll share more on my amazing encounter with this deck in a bit.

Firstly, some background: the Oracle of the Dragonfae, published by the wonderful Australian publisher Blue Angel Gallery, features the lovely, vibrant illustrations of seven different artists, with a 163-page larger-than-usual companion book.

The 43-cards are numbered, depicting the world of dragons and those aligned with their energy, for example, Gaia, Brigid, Melusine, Queen Oonagh, Goddess Tiamet, and others. Each colorful card shows the name of the particular Dragonfae, with a short phrase. Here are some examples:

* Tatsuya - Have courage!
* Drystan - Look beyond the surface
* The Wild Huntress - Face your shadow
* Chumara - Web of all life
* The Pendragon - Pure male energy
* The Elder - Heed wise counsel

The sturdy, high-gloss cards from the Oracle of the Dragonfae measure approximately 5 ½ inches x 3 ¾ inches, with the card backings showing a fully reversible, subdued--but attractive--pentagram design.

Now, for my personal experience!

When I received this deck, I did something I don't normally do: rather than look through all the cards first, I just put the deck in front of me, facing outward, asked a question, and drew a card randomly. I had no idea what the cards looked like, let alone the order they were in!

After I read Lucy's interpretation in the companion book, I was stunned. Somehow, her three-page explanation of my card touched on not one, but THREE separate, unrelated issues. Yet, they were melded together by the wisdom of Chenguang, "Be light of heart".

The central, core issue was specifically addressed in this deck (and helped me make an instant decision that lifted a burden and welcomed the fresh air of freedom), as well as two peripheral issues that I've been concerned about, but couldn't seem to coexist peacefully with them.

After receiving such pointed, sage and encouraging guidance from that one card, I began eagerly devouring Lucy's companion book to the Oracle of the Dragonfae. She answers the question of what Dragonfae ARE, as well as their purpose and "calling cards". (Now I know what I keep seeing dragonflies in my backyard and individuals often give me stones, crystals and butterfly tokens!)

I now feel such a kinship with the Dragonfae because of this deck. In fact, when I began writing this review, I felt a strong, huge, heavy beast "curl" around me. I sat very still, felt this powerful, knowing, protective energy--and then the hairs on the back of my neck and arms stood up. (It's happening again as I write this!)

So if you're on the lookout for an unusual, illuminating and spot-on deck, do give the Oracle of the Dragonfae deck a try. I feel you'll be pleasantly surprised by its accuracy and beauty, as well as the otherworldly insights by Lucy Cavendish.

(To see 13 images from this deck, visit the Reviews--Decks section at [...])

-- Janet Boyer, author of The Back in Time Tarot Book: Picture the Past, Experience the Cards, Understand the Present
on November 4, 2008
I bought this deck specifically because I am a huge fan of Michele-lee Phelan's art. Over time, I have also become a big fan of Lucy Cavendish's writings - her cd is also top knotch. I would recommend it to anyone who appreciates fantasy or goddess art. The works are not fluffy. Buy it, and you won't be disappointed!
on December 21, 2008
From one person who: "loves Dragons, Loves Fairies", once I heard the beautiful voice of the creator of this deck, Lucy Cavendish, on Hayhouse Radio with Leon Nacson during his "Interpreting Dreams" radio show, I immediately knew that I would enjoy this deck.

With so much anticipation, and with such weighty pre-concieved ideas about this oracle deck, it was very likely that it may not meet my high expectations.

Well, I can tell you from my own experience with this deck, it has met, and greatly exceeded all possible expecations. I have been deeply moved by the profound messages that are found in the guidebook, and the beautiful artwork images on the quality card stock have proven captivating to say the very least.

I have since been blessed to give others readings from this deck, and here are some words of praise in response to the messages that the Dragonfae and Lucy Cavendish have shared through the Oracle of the Dragonfae:

"Thank you very much!!! I was quite speechless with this message... it is soooo fitting and so resonated deeply within me... going back to the simile between the chrysalis time and the butterfly, I feel like these cards are talking about my time of breaking out of the chrysalis and being tenderly cared for as I try to figure out what to do with my wings... sooooo beautiful... thank you again...
I will be calling on Chumara, Grandmother Magicks and the Lady of the New Buds to come with me and help me on this journey"

"It was intense. I really enjoyed it and felt it was pretty spot on. I felt a different kind of energy just by reading it"

"I know I thanked you in the chat room yesterday but I just have to say it again. Thank you for this very DEAD ON reading! There is so much to ponder. But, more importantly you delivered a message to questions that I have been asking myself for quite a number of days now.

Thank you again for this reading!!!!! "

I can't personally take any credit at all for the amazing readings. That goes directly to Lucy and the Dragonfae.. Bravo!!

But I can say that I am very, very pleased with this oracle deck, and the potential for discovery that lie within the mystical, magickal delightful Dragonfae..
on May 31, 2009
This is a magical deck, inspirational, and highly recommended
for all whom dare to enter its realm. The Dragonfae are powerful
beings, if you were guided to get them, do so you will not be
disappointed, the magic is immense within this deck, A++++
on September 16, 2008
I had never used any of Lucy Cavendish's cards before I bought these. I do not regret my purchase! Not only are they beautiful to look at (I fell in love with Michele-Lee's artwork), their very powerful messages are what I need exactly at the time I will draw a card. These cards turned me into a fan of Lucy's. I highly recommend them. They will open your world to the Dragonfae. . . ancient friends that have been waiting to reconnect to us.
Note: There are about 20 incredible cards that Michele-Lee did the artwork for in this oracle deck. Absolutely breathtaking work!
on October 8, 2009
"In a not so far away past... we worked, loved and lived with all of the elemental beings.
~ Excerpt from "The Magickal Guidebook"]"

When you open the box of this deck and book set, you will find yourself, instantly being greeted by a deck of forty-three incredibly magical beings. You can almost feel the elemental strength and protection surround you as you flip through the cards. You will find the beauty of the Faerie Realm combined with the strength of the Dragon.

The artwork for "The Oracle of the Dragonfae" deck, is that of seven different artists. There is a small bio about each one of the artists in the back of the Guidebook. The artists use of color in the artwork is brilliant, bold and well thought out, creating very powerful imagery.

The author of "The Oracle of the Dragonfae," is also the author of "The Oracle Tarot", "Magical Spell Cards", and "White Magic", which are all published by Hay House. Lucy describes herself as a "book witch", she adores writing, reading and creating enchanted workshops. She currently lives in Australia with her daughter.

The deck is a bit taller and wider than standard, is of a quality cardstock, with medium to heavy lamination. The cards are numbered, at the top, from one to forty-three. Each card holds the name of the Dragonfae and a keyword or phrase, at the bottom. Narrow borders give plenty of room for the artwork. The backs of the cards are beautifully done, with green dragons and but are not reversal friendly.

This deck would feel comfortable in the hands of the young, novice to advanced, professional reader. This set would also make a nice gift for the Faerie and Dragon friendly folk.

The one hundred sixty four page, paperback, "Magickal Guidebook" shows a small black and white copy of each card and details each card. You will find a message from each Dragonfae, information about each one, the Divinatory Meaning and how to work with the energy of each Dragonfae.

The Guidebook also includes information on handling the cards, from shuffling, reading methods, Dragonfae truths, myths and how to communicate with them. It also includes two spreads, from an effective three card spread to a larger, more in-depth eleven card spread. The author also encourages using other spreads.

Upon further exploration you will find that these elementals are much more than they appear. They have been designed to help us heal ourselves, others and save our planet. They encourage you to see the magic in the world around you, every day! Even though this deck is very beautiful, this is not a fluffy faerie deck. Be prepared to do some soul searching, when using this oracle.
on March 4, 2009
As a fan of the magick of dragons and the mystical fae, the combination of these worlds into the Dragonfae Oracle deck seems like a perfect match. I am a huge collector of Oracle and Tarot decks, but even with all the fantastic decks I already owned and used, this has actually become my absolute favorite. First of all, the art work is exquisite. Each image leaps out with a personality and history of its own. However, I often find that in many decks either the artwork is elegant and the book is shallow or the other way around (i.e. don't waste your money on Amy Brown's deck unless you really just want to collect the images!) In the case of the Dragonfae Oracle, the writing complements the images well. The book gives a story, some history and a divinatory meaning for each card that does an excellent job of expanding on the image without taking away from the reader's own creative intuition in studying the card. Of course, this is not a full Tarot deck, and reader's looking for a full spread may be disappointed. But if you are like me and enjoy a quick reading or grounding you will love Dragonfae. It is second perhaps only to Brian Froud's Faery Oracle, but then Froud is in a league of his own! PS After I purchased the Dragonfae Oracle, three of my good friends ran out and bought one, too, as they loved it so much!
on September 14, 2008
I mistakenly bought this deck thinking all the artwork was by Michele-lee Phelan. The cover is hers, and 6 of the 8 pictures featured on the back of the box are also. From the small pics I'd seen only the internet I thought they were all hers, but 2 turned out to be Selina Fenech - which is ok, because she is a fine artist also. After buying the deck I found out it is a collaborative effort of seven different artists. Unfortunately, not all of the artists are a talented as the 2 represented on the box - a sentiment it seems Blue Angel Gallery agrees with, otherwise why not give a more accurate representation? Still, Cavendish is an imaginative writer and the deck is probably worth having - just a bit of a disappointment considering what a great deck it could have been.