Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

86%
14%
Format: PaperbackChange

on April 27, 2010
I love simplicity and given the myriad books on leadership in the marketplace, this one is a perfect guide for those looking for simple, common sense philosophies and easy-to-implement practices that are sure to enhance your leadership practice. Indeed if you integrate the simple practices, you will become a more conscious leader.

The chapters are short, and deliver practical wisdom. Read it cover to cover or open up to any page and use it as a daily or weekly reflection. Though the book is chock full of gems, I mention 3 that stood out for me.

Reading Oracle of the Obvious reminded me that today's business environment is chaotic and punctuated by sound bites, email and text communications, and organization-wide memos. Indeed it can be overwhelming for aspiring and seasoned leaders at times. Thankfully, this book offers refreshing reminders that a leader's true work lies in having meaningful conversations that matter. Such conversations become meaningful when they are practiced as learning conversations marked by simple guidelines (the authors call them learning conversation guidelines) that allow the conversation to flow easily in a safe setting and encourage each person's voice to be heard and responded to in a respectful manner. This practice sets the foundation for conscious leadership and has changed my personal and professional relationships immeasurably already.

If you are part of an organization, community, or family you are part of a living system, which means it is paramount that one recognizes and honors the interdependent relationships of which they are a part. Jorgensen and Hurst introduce the concept of systems thinking which is an approach to organizational change and sustainability. They unveil systems truths that leaders should reflect on before embarking on their change initiative. Doing so provides them with a holistic and informed picture to consider when making decisions that impact the entire organization; systems thinking is inclusive, thus embracing and practicing learning conversations will help nurture the conditions for change.

Learning is about changing one's behavior, which takes place through thinking, reflection and action. Conscious leaders, those who will continue to make meaningful and sustainable impact in the world, need to take time to reflect and learn from their experiences. The authors suggest taking time each day for a reflective practice. From my perspective, doing so has helped me process conversations, events and my leadership practice more quickly and seemingly more effectively, which has prompted more immediate changes in my practice. Though you may have a personal practice, Jorgensen and Hurst have offered journal prompts taken from Otto Scharmer's Theory U and I highly recommend taking the time to reflect on them thoughtfully and honestly.

If you want to lead a more conscious life, both personally and professionally, this book is a must read!
on April 26, 2010
I think my favorite thing reading the Oracle is how easy the concepts are to understand and apply. I was most amazed at my reaction as a leader to some of the counter intuitive things we do daily in our leadership lives that sabotage our power and our ability to inspire another's participation. The Oracle is simple to read and the practices are easy to apply from the moment you've put the book down. I found that I was able to take these concepts into my daily life and apply them everywhere, not just at the office.
on June 6, 2010
This book is for anyone who holds a position as a leader, or is aspiring to become one. This book will help in creating successful learning conversations in any environment, whether it is in private or public institutions. The guidelines discussed, if followed, will help create a system for convening conversations that matter, and create consensus and alignment within an organization, the goal of any great organization.
on April 9, 2013
When I received the book, I seriously thought they'd sent the wrong order. It's a thin paperback that is so small, it was literally shipped in a large envelope instead of a box. Amazon has the new price listed at over $400. I purchased a used copy for around $30---yet there's a price of $14.95 printed on the back cover. I typically stay away from books on management because most of them simply tout the latest fad, accompanied by all the latest buzzwords and cliches. The only reason I ordered this is because my boss happens to be into Jorgensen. All I can say is that I'm glad I didn't pay the full Amazon price.
on January 7, 2011
Ray helps put leadership tools in a simple, easy to understand manner. This book has fundamental methods for consistency as a leader. It helps to create communication and clarity. Everyone should read it!!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2010
What a great, common sense book on leadership. The concepts are easily understood and presented. If you want to learn how to be a better leader, this is a MUST READ!!!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse