From the Back Cover
Learn to optimize and fine-tune your Oracle system's overall performance
Implement tuning solutions using the proven methodology found inside Oracle Performance Tuning 101 gives you step-by-step practical advice for removing bottlenecks, minimizing downtime, and increasing overall system performance. You'll also get tips for identifying Oracle's current bottlenecks, prioritizing and performing tuning operations, writing optimal SQL, interpreting statistics, and much more. Written in a clear and engaging style, this book explains how to manage the tuning efforts of various components of your entire system in a methodical fashion, eliminating all guesswork.
- Understand the key components of a tuning methodology
- Set performance objectives, establish goals, and cease efforts when goals are met
- Learn how to generate well-written SQL commandsand know how to recognize poorly written SQL
- Tune and manage various components of the Oracle Instance
- Use meaningful Oracle initialization parameter settings
- Implement proactive management of space in the Oracle database
- Understand I/O tuning with extensive coverage on implementing RAID on Oracle
- Get details on operating system tuning for Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, and Windows NT
Every chapter includes one or more myths and folklores about the topic, examples, and an "In a Nutshell" section--all geared to reinforce the knowledge you've acquired.
About the Author
John A. Kostelac, Jr. (Houston, TX) has been applying his expertise as an Oracle DBA for close to 10 years. John is Consulting Senior Principal Instructor for Oracle Corporation in Dallas.