5.0 out of 5 stars Oral-B Pro-Health Battery Toothbrush Precision Clean
Published on August 22, 2010 by boostjuice

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost a great product with a serious design flaw.
Published 23 months ago by Ian Park

5.0 out of 5 stars Oral-B Pro-Health Battery Toothbrush Precision Clean, August 22, 2010
This review is from: Oral-B Pro-Health Precision Clean Battery Toothbrush, 1 Count (Health and Beauty)
If your sick and tired of buying rechargeable toothbrushes with internal batteries that quickly loose their charge capacity and can't be replaced, then this toothbrush is for you. These toothbrushes also feature electronics that keep the motor voltage constant - and hence maintain optimal orbital brushing speed - even as the battery voltage declines as they discharge. So motor power is held consistant right up until the end when the batteries near complete depletion where finally the motor just stops. So you get optimal performance right to the end of set of batteries! This feature also means despite the lower voltage of using 2x 1.2V NiMH rechargeable cells, you get the same brushing speed and power as using 2x 1.5V Alkaline cells. This is great! as rechargeable NiMH cells last longer due to holding more charge capacity, are cheaper in the long-term, and save you throwing out bucket loads of spent Alkaline cells that would end up in landfill.

Build quality of the units is great as you'd expect for a Braun, even for a cheaper unit. The battery chamber seals well but can be perfected by applying a thin layer of vaseline or other grease around the O-ring of the lower snap out section. This guarantees moisture vapour can't get into the battery chamber which over time can corrode rechargable batteries in long term service.

The on/off switch is smartly sealed beneath a rubber membrane which ensures water can't get into the internals.

The 2-minute timer is a nice feature. At this time interval the motor briefly oscillates off-on-off-on to let you know how long you've been brushing but if you wan't to keep brushing, you can as it doesnt turn the motor off.

Overall this brush is great, especially for the price. The fact that ageing rechargable batteries can be replaced as their capacity diminishes means you can expect years of service from one of these, whereas the more expensive units with internal batteries are useless junk as soon as they loose the majority of their capacity.

I changed from using a Spinbrush Pro clean to this Braun, and the improvement is terrific. The Spinbrush ran too-slow on lower voltage rechargable batteries, the battery chamber leaked, the button corroded and became unreliable, and batteries quickly corroded due to the leaking chamber. All these problems are remedied with this Braun model.

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost a great product with a serious design flaw., January 8, 2013
First of all, I have been using this product for over 18 months. I liked it enough initially to buy two more and if I wrote this review earlier, I would have given it a 5-star rating. As many reviewers already mentioned, I bought this because of the replaceable batteries. I put 2 Eneloop rechargeable batteries and this toothbrush rocks for over two weeks. I tried the Vitality model before but was disappointed the charge would gradually diminish over time so that you have to charge it daily.

Why then the 3-star rating you ask. After about six months, I broke the cover trying to replace the batteries. I bought two more and then subsequently the covers of those broke as well. I wrote to P&G and they are sending me a replacement but that doesn't address the basic flaw with the design.

Not all AA batteries are of the same size. Depending on the brand and model, length of AA batteries can vary as much as 2 milimeter. That's why you read reviews of this model which mentions the impossibility of putting the cover back in. If you have a set of batteries that are longer than the norm, you can not put the cover back in without breaking it. I informed P&G the fact and I hope they redesign the cover to address the issue. As is, it's almost a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent toothbrush, November 27, 2009
Pro:
- It can clean teeth very well. Much better than manual toothbrushes. Much better than Crest Spinbrush. I am very happy to have it.
- It takes 2 AA rechargeable batteries. A full charged hybrid batteries will last more than 2 weeks. (it depends on how long your batteries hold the charge). Alkaline batteries last a month. So it is very useful for traveling.
- Since the batteries are removable, you can use different set of batteries until the toothbrush broken. Note that, you can not replace the batteries in any toothbrushes with built-in rechargeable batteries and one of the most common reason for a toothbrush ends its useful live is the death of its built-in batteries.
- If you want to save the environment and you don't want to throw dead batteries into garbage cans then you don't like toothbrushes with built-in rechargeable batteries. It is very hard to remove the batteries from the unit to handle them properly.
- This is the least expensive electric toothbrush from Oral-B. But it performs really well.
- This toothbrush uses the same refill brushes that other expensive models use. So you get similar result for much less money.

Con:
- This one does not have a timer. You can pay couple more dollar to get the one (also from Oral-B) with the timer.
- People reported that this toothbrush lasts from 1 to 2 years. Well, the most expensive (about 9 times more expensive) Oral-B electric toothbrush lasts from 3 to 5 years. If you do not care about other features the expensive ones offers, I think this has more value.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great toothbrush ruined by a lousy battery compartment, July 11, 2013
NolaKate (Chicago, USA) - See all my reviews
I've gone through several of these toothbrushes the last several years and each one has had the same problem: faulty battery compartment covers. Unfortunately, Oral-B refuses to use screw-on battery covers and instead uses squeeze-on ones. With each model I've owned, eventually the cover breaks. With a crack down the side, water enters and corrodes the batteries, and soon both the batteries and the toothbrush are useless and have to be thrown out. What a waste! If they used screw-on covers the toothbrush would be last longer and the batteries too. But then perhaps that's the point. They are selling these at disposable prices. Sad, especially since we don't need to be making more plastic trash. :(

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it !!!, August 19, 2010
This was my first electric toothbrush and I think this is the best thing happened to my teeth since my birth. I'm 31 years old and my teeth structure is prone to hiding food particles. I had to use toothpicks and floss regularly to keep them clean. I'm using this brush since last 1 month and I must say "Wow". I don't know what was holding me not to buy this product earlier. I think everyone should be using this product to better take care of teeth health.

Positive reviews here at amazon helped me to buy this product and hence I'm leaving my feedback also so as to encourage those who are still undecided. Go for it, it might be one of the best buys of your life.

Update-11/10/2014: So, after using it for 4 years, this brush is still going strong and gives me the same feeling which I got after first use. I'm glad that I found this product and that there are companies which make these type of products. My love with this product continues...

5.0 out of 5 stars Manual Toothbrushes: Ancient Relic of the Past, September 3, 2011
SooperFlye (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
I've been brushing my teeth since I was 3 or 4 years old, that's 50 years of manual teeth brushing. Why it took so long for me to buy an electric or battery powered toothbrush is beyond me. However, I'm glad I finally woke-up and bought this "Oral-B Battery Toothbrush", I'll never buy another manual toothbrush again.

It's a Great Toothbrush. JOIN the 21st century and BUY IT, you won't regret it.

It comes as advertized with two AA batteries, just plug them in and you're ready to go. It has a neat 2 MINUTE TIMER, which by the way is a long time when you actually start brushing. And that's a good thing.

I got one tiny, insignificant gripe, it's hard to see the (+ -) battery POLARITY on the side of the toothbrush after removing the battery cap. When I installed the batteries the first time it wouldn't start, so I had to switch the batteries around, and now I have to remember the correct installation the next time I add new batteries. It's nothing to lose sleep over.

Speaking of battery caps, removing & replacing the batter cap may be a serious problem especially for those people who suffer arthritis of the hand but it's do-able. You have to "squeeze very hard" two rubber spots on the sides at the bottom of the toothbrush to release the battery cap. I caught hell trying to replace the cap as well. I have to place the cap against something solid and push down hard to lock the cap.

With that said, that too can be a good thing, because that means the battery compartment is airtight and waterproof. I still think Oral-B will have to send this one back to R & D to improve the ease of removing/replacing the battery cap. Still a 5-Star brush!

The ON/OFF switch is covered in some type of rubbery, waterproof membrane and is very responsive; quick on, quick off. The brush itself has a nice weight to it, not too heavy, not too light. Has the right amount of balance as well.

The handle is made of two types of materials: rubber and a very smooth plastic, there's enough rubber on the handle so you don't have to worry about it slipping from your hands, even when wet. The package doesn't mention anything about what type of bristle comes with this toothbrush (i.e., soft or hard bristle), however, I felt NO irritation or discomfort what-so-ever.

The overall length is 8"; brush head length is about 2.75", width of the handle is about 1.5" x 1".

- There are four different styles of toothbrush refill heads available for the "Oral-B Pro-Health Battery Toothbrush Precision Clean":

1)-Oral-B "Precision" Clean Brush Head (which comes with this toothbrush)
2)-Oral-B "Pro White" Replacement Brush Head
3)-Oral-B "Dual Action" Premium Power Toothbrush Head
4)-Oral B "Floss Action" Brush Head

I plan on stocking up on all 4 refills. I have all 32 of my teeth and I plan on keeping all 32 teeth, for as long as I can. And this battery powered toothbrush will definitely help me do that.

- REMOVING & REPLACING THE BRUSH HEAD:
Get yourself a clean paper towel because you'll need to clean the toothpaste residue at the base of the brush head.

1-Grab the base (brush handle) and take hold of the brush head.
2-Slowly pull the brush head straight up. Easy isn't it?
3-Take your paper towel and clean wherever you see toothpaste residue.

PLEASE NOTE: Your new refill might include a small colored plastic ring. Mine came with a yellow one.

4-Place the small yellow ring at the base of the new brush head (it seems to work like a gasket or washer).
5-There's only ONE way to replace the brush head, just look inside the new brush head and you'll see a tiny notch.
6-Take a look at the part attached to the base, you'll notice a groove on ONE side of this base part.
7-Match the notch inside the brush head with the groove and slowly glide the brush head onto the brush. You're done, HAPPY BRUSHING!

Bottom-Line:
Highly Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars good oral hygiene, May 25, 2010
As a former dental hygienist with the same dental practice for 44 years,
I highly recommend this battery operated toothbrush.

It does a great job along with making the mouth feel good. if one keeps it in the mouth for the two minutes and moves it over all of the teeth during the time.
There are many different brands on the market, however this is less costly than many and if used properly does an excellent job of providing good dental hygiene.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little toothbrush!, March 29, 2011
Just bought this after having used conventional toothbrushes for almost 25 years and wow, what a huge improvement! My teeth feel cleaner than ever before (sounds cheesy, but its true!). Here's what I think after having used this product for just about 2 weeks:

1. The design is very simple. The battery enclosure is rubberized, stays water proof and the whole toothbrush feels sound and well made. It came with Duracell batteries which was a pleasant surprise.
2. The cleaning action is fantastic. My gums are quite sensitive but this toothbrush has really gentle bristles that don't hurt my gums at all.
3. I love the awesome 2-minute timer that lets you know that you've been brushing for 2 minutes with a slightly different 'vibration' pattern.
4. Strangely, I've been brushing my teeth 3 times a day since I got this brush!

Overall, I have absolutely no complaints. I love this toothbrush and its a phenomenal buy for the price. Amazon rocks as usual. I noticed that replacement heads are a little expensive but really worth it (make sure they're from a reputable seller due to fakes on the market). I'll be sticking with the Oral-B Precision Clean line for life.

UPDATE 8/18/11: After almost 6 months of use, this little guy is still going strong! I've had to replace both the batteries and head only once the whole time. Very happy with this toothbrush!

UPDATE 6/1/12: I'm nearing a year and a half of use, this toothbrush is still going strong! I'm on my third replaceable head and I've had absolutely no problems. I can't believe this product has worked so well for the price- what a value! I've switched to using the Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries and I seem to be getting a lot more use (almost 2 weeks) out of a single pair of batteries than standard batteries so I highly recommend them. My teeth and gums have stayed in fantastic condition since I got this toothbrush. Now I swear by this product!

1.0 out of 5 stars timer causes brush to misfunction after only 2 months of use, September 6, 2011
When I had to replace my Oral B battery powered electric toothbrush that finally died after 4 long years of twice-a-day use, I was really pleased when I found a 2 for 1 sale on the Braun Oral-B Pro-Health model. Other than the addition of the two minute timer, this looked exactly like my old brush; the sale was so good that I bought several of them. Now I know why they were on sale! My old brush without the timer worked just fine for several years with yearly battery changes. After only 2 months of use, the timer function on this new brush keeps kicking in after barely 10 seconds of operation instead after 2 full minutes as stated on the package! To do a thorough job cleaning my teeth, I have to turn the brush off and wait at least 30 seconds before turning it back on only to have the same problem reoccur after only 10 seconds or less. To get the full 2 minutes of brushing time now takes 8-10 minutes or more!!! Of course, this problem didn't show up until AFTER the 60 day product warranty had expired!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Oral-B, September 12, 2010
This is a replacement to my original Braun. Needed a non-rechargeable.
Pro: This is a great toothbrush. Comfortable to use. Like the 2-minute timer
Con: it is kind of loud
Overall it's exactly what I wanted. Very Happy