4.0 out of 5 stars Not worth extra money - get ProfessionalCare 5000 instead
Summary: Just buy the cheapest Oral-B ProfessionalCare model you can find on the market and you will get all of the wonderful teeth cleaning the reviewers here have been raving about without wasting money on useless features.

Review:
Published on January 11, 2006 by sfchris

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Toothbrush, High Price Tag
Published on January 2, 2007 by Suz

4.0 out of 5 stars Not worth extra money - get ProfessionalCare 5000 instead, January 11, 2006
sfchris (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oral-B Triumph Professional Care 9400 Power Toothbrush (Health and Beauty)

Review:
I bought this one after the unreplaceable battery on my Oral B 3d Excel (older equivalent of the ProfessionalCare 5000) failed on me. After comparing the two, I have decided that the cheapest ProfessionalCare model they offer which costs half the price had all the features I really needed.

The key features for me are:
* Rechargeable - everything from ProfessionalCare 5000 on up is rechargeable
* High speed 3d oscilations - ALL of their models from the ProfessionalCare 5000 on up have the same rotating speed and they all do side to side and front to back movents!
* Needs to supports all brush heads - Aside from their incompatible sonic line, all their brushes support all their brush heads. I bought the Triumph mainly because I liked the idea of their FlossAction head, and on their web site they claim that it only works with the Triumph. THIS IS INCORRECT. The floss action head works with all their models!!!!!! They claim the triumph brush detects a "smart chip" in the flossaction head that causes it to modify the way the motor works, but all it does is restrict you to the most powerful setting. I tried the Flossaction head on my cheaper 3d excel and it works just fine.

All the other features of the triumph are no big deal - the display screen to tell you the charge, etc. All that stuff is not worth paying twice the price to me.

Features they tout as unique to the Triumph that I don't care about:

* Multiple cleaning speeds - unless you have incredibly sensitive gums, you will just use the maximum speed every day.
* LCD display - You can't see it when you are brushing anyway. When you are done it tells you exactly how many minutes you brushed. Who cares about that? The pulse warning after 2 minutes during the brushing (on all their models) tells you that anyway. And it's pretty easy to remember to stick the thing in the charger once a week... you don't need an LCD display with the exact charge. That's overkill.
*FlossAction support - This is a great brush head but as I said above, this works in all their models even though they claim it does not.

They need to justify a higher price so they just packed on features that don't mean much... my advice is just to get the cheapest ProfessionalCare brush model you can find and it will be just as good.

On top of all this, the Triumph display screen requires a bigger battery and is heavier, which is a slight annoyance.

Go to oralb dot com website where they do a comparison of the features of all their models. Keep in mind that their statement that the Flossaction only works on the triumph is incorrect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Triumph or Sonicare Elite, February 26, 2006
RTH "RTH" (Havertown, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I have both the Sonicare Elite and the Triumph. Both do an excellent job of cleaning your teeth. The Sonicare has more side to side action while the Triumph has a more circular motion. The Sonicare beeps at you to move every thirty seconds, the Triump makes a motor sound prompting the same action. Both have excellent grips and its easy to change the brushes. And both have good battery life, though I'd give a small edge to the Triumph.

I really like my Triumph because it holds its charge well and the brush motion feels more like what the dental hygenist uses. Some reviews comment that the brush is too noisey -- give me a break. Both the Sonicare and the Triump make noise appropriate to the task at hand.

The best part of these two brushes is that they make you brush for two minutes. The Sonicare asks you to get a new brush every 6 months, the Triumph every 3 months. Replacement heads for the Triumph are less expensive.

If you asked me which brush I'd grab for a trip, my preference would be the Triumph, But, if I grabbed the Sonicare by mistake, all would be well.

Either one does a great job.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST TOOTHBRUSH OUT THERE, June 6, 2007
I'm an RDH and *this* is the recommend power toothbrush we sell (at no commission and for very little profit) in our office. It is better than the lower priced versions of the other Oral-B power brushes, though I would heartily recommend most Oral-B products because of their superior quality and longevity.

The Triumph is different. Yes, they all have two minute timers, but the Triumph skips every 30 seconds so you get to divide your mouth equally into four parts. And while the floss head does work on different models it doesn't work as effectively, still, I urge my patients to switch over to using the Triumph brush heads regardless of the model they own. The rubber tips on the floss head brush is extremely effective at getting in-between the teeth.

I usually recommend the slower mode but you do have even more than those two options, you also have a massage (for your gums)and a polishing (which is very valuable when you are in the process of bleaching your teeth.) So, that extra brush head really is useful!

It is also terribly easy (read the manual!!) to program the Triumph to notify you when it is time to change the main brush head and this applies to more than one person. The device knows the difference between the two (or three, ect.) My only suggestion (with any power toothbrush more than one person is using) is too write your name in permant ink on the brush itself. The color rings just never stay on.

Having been a hygienist for over 25 years and used practically every power toothbrush on the market, this is something I was very excited to share with my patients. It is by far the most effective and versatile power toothbrush I've ever utilized and couldn't possibly be a greater advocate for this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Second Oral-B, September 10, 2006
I researched pretty heavily when deciding how to replace my old basic Oral-B model. The old one had lasted me a good five years and was not holding a charge very well any more so it was time. I finally settled on the Triumph 9400 partly due to the great deal that Amazon.com was offering at the time. I am not disappointed, to say the least. My teeth have never felt so clean as they do everytime I use this brush, it really is just like a dental cleaning feeling! One major plus is that I am no longer having to use the sensitive teeth toothpaste. After about a month of use my teeth are no longer experiencing the sensitivity and that is worth the price of the unit alone.

The charge lasts well over a week, which is long enough for me. The display is nice, I especially like the smiley face if you go the whole two minutes cleaning time. The only thing I can say negative is that I still don't know what kind of toothpaste I am supposed to use with the polishing head, the directions don't tell you.

I would buy this unit again and highly recommend it, especially if you get it on [...].

September 9, 2008 update - Still using my Triumph and still working great!

March 22, 2010 update - Still using my Triump and still working great! Still keeps a charge for over a week too.

February 14, 2012 update - Still using my Triumph daily and works great. Does not hold the charge like it used to, but impressive for the age. I would definitely buy it again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Toothbrush, High Price Tag, January 2, 2007
Suz (Fort Worth, TX) - See all my reviews
I've been using the Oral B Triumph for a few months now. I've probably had half a dozen electric toothbrushes over the years. It does a good job. It is a little heavier and more wieldy than most, but nothing near enough to keep me from buying it again. I really like how it gives a short buzz after each 30 seconds, alerting me to move on to the next quadrant, and a longer buzz after two minutes.

What I don't like is that this is by far the messiest toothbrush I've ever owned. For the first time in my life I have occasional little projectile bits of toothpaste/saliva flying out of my mouth. Not attractive. And I inevitably have to wipe a few of them out of my long dark hair when I'm done. And I've learned the hard way not to put on a dark colored shirt before I brush my teeth. Yuck. Even more annoying is that the brush and handle are hard to keep clean. Prior to this, I always just rinsed my toothbrush then gave the handle a quick swipe with a handtowel. Never had any problems. This one, even when I take extra care to wipe it, still leaves little toothpaste rings on the counter and toothpaste trails down the handle. Gross.

Overall, it's a great toothbrush but quite frankly, so are most electric toothbrushes except the real cheapos. Would I pay an extra $50 again just to be reminded to switch quadrants every 30 seconds? Probably not. I'd rather have a clean sink. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars A new cleaning experience, April 17, 2007
Before I purchased this product, I had owned a Sonicare Elite 7800 toothbrush that I absolutely loved. I know it sounds stupid that I went with a different toothbrush after having one that was perfect, but I have to say that I was very impressed with my new toothbrush. They say it can do 40,000 brush strokes per minute. This was faster than my previous toothbrush, and I didn't really know if that meant anything in the grand scheme of things. What really impressed me was when after 3 months of use, I went in for a dental cleaning and my dental hygienist was shocked to see that I had no plaque or tartar built up on my teeth. This was unlike any previous visit there. Now don't assume that I was just some slob who started brushing when I got this new toothbrush. I brush 3 or more times daily and floss twice daily. I rinse every time I brush. I am very particular about the care of my teeth.

I would recommend this toothbrush to anyone who is looking for a more intense cleaning when they brush their teeth. It is the Ferrari of electric toothbrushes. It has 4 useful and cool settings. It has many available brush heads for all of your oral hygiene needs. It is great. That is all I can say. I plan on having it forever, or until the battery refuses to charge anymore.

If you have something against Oral-B, then I would recommend this toothbrush instead, which is great as well.PHILIPS SONICARE PROFESSIONAL ELITE 7800

3.0 out of 5 stars Good brush but bad battery, December 4, 2006
E. Brown (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
We've had this toothbrush for more than a year. I won't get into all the interesting functionality; several reviews here do that very well. This works great at cleaning your teeth and making your gums feel good.

I have a problem with the battery life. I don't know exactly what I ought to have expected, but I certainly expected better. After less than 1 year, the battery began to wilt after just a few brushings. With two of us using it only for our evening cycle, we are finding it necessary to recharge it every couple of days. With the price we paid for it, I would think it would last longer. I could have purchased a lot of manual brushes for the same cost.

I remember it having a one year warranty, though I never sent in the card and have since lost the manual. This is my fault.

Bottom line: good toothbrush, but send in your warranty card and keep the help-desk number.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Toothbrush!, July 14, 2006
I had an earlier model of an Oral B Professional Care toothbrush for almost four years. I really like Oral B, and my dentist highly recommended me to continue to use a similar brush. It works great, and my teeth feel really clean. I really like that I can get to each tooth. It has a digital timer on it so you know how long you have been brushing. When you brush for 2 or more minutes a smile face shows up next to the time - which is kinda cute. There are three different modes you can use to brush. Every thirty seconds the brush will vibrate a little to let you know to move on to another section of your mouth. Then at two minutes it will vibrate twice as much to tell you that you are finished. It has a nice travel case, which I really like. I couldn't really travel with my old toothbrush. The base for the toothbrush is very convenient. You can choose to just use the charger part which isn't as bulky, or you can use the other parts which hold the extra toothbrushes and create a bigger base. You don't have to keep it on the charger all the time, although you can if you want to. It will work off the charger for about a week's worth of brushing (2x a day). It's easy to keep clean and is well worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Toothbrush--How did I live without it???, November 9, 2005
J. Rios (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
I first tried an Oral-B 7500 series. I didn't like it because it didn't have the shudders every 30 seconds and it was very harsh. So then I bought the Triumph 9425 from Costco (for only $100)! I LOVE THIS THING!!! I started on the Soft setting for my sensitive teeth, but after only a few days I was using the Clean Setting and it didn't hurt at all! I love the way it feels like I've just been to the dentist. There's not much vibration. It has a polish and massage function which I haven't used yet, but I will. It also has a smiley face when you've completed your 2 minutes, which can be motivational (even though I'm over 30).

My teeth feel better, and my breath is fresher! This is a great tool! I definitely like it better than Sonicare because there was too much vibration and the brush head was too large. I love this brushhead because it fits behind and around my teeth with ease. It's so easy to use and you get amazing results!

3.0 out of 5 stars average, April 6, 2007
I attempted to find out though all previous reviews which one is better?

Sonicare or Braun? Now I know. I used to have Sonicare from the time they first came out and loved it. But I was curious if Braun is as good and bought the new Braun. I must say that they are not equal! I would compare Sonicare to Mercedes and Braun to Traband (the worst east German car ever).

--It is loud and feels like a drill. Sonicare truly sound like sonic wave toothbrush.

--When it lets you know that you need to switch sides, it sounds like a pneumatic drill--literally!

--In my experience it does not even come close to cleaning power of Sonicare. After brushing with Sonicare I always had a nice tingling feeling, Braun--nothing

--It seems inferior to Sonicare overall.

Here are good things about Braun:

--When brushing with Sonicare, you have to keep mouth closed while brushing, because it splashes around (Sonic waves work through water better-closed mouth helps cleaning )Braun does not seem to be sonic wave toothbrush and you can keep mouth open while brushing with no problem. This is good option especially for children.

--Brush replacements are cheaper than Sonicare

--Because of small size toothbrush, I think you can reach your back teeth slightly better with Braun

Hope it helps.