Published 19 months ago by Redwired

Published on October 19, 2012 by C.G.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, but pay attention to directions on the back of the bottle, April 15, 2013
This review is from: Orange Glo Hardwood Floor 4-in-1 Monthly Polish, Fresh Orange Scent, 24 Ounce (Pack of 2) (Health and Beauty)
I have been using Orange Glo hardwood floor 4-in-1 for more than 10 years. I am on Amazon right now because I am having problem finding this product in my usual store. I started reading the reviews out of curiosity. I think my experience may be useful to some. My very large apartment has hardwood floors all over but in the bathroom. I started using orange glo as soon as I moved in. About one year later, I had a cleaning lady doing the floors and she did them better then me. What I like/loved about this product is: floors did look clean, maintained a healthy shine and continued smelling good for a couple of weeks (the good look last longer). Smelling good to me means smelling clean and fresh not necessarily citrusy or orangey: I have two cats and cat owners are supposed to know that cats hate lemons and similar smells and I would have stopped using the product if the smell was clearly citrusy and/or too strong. About three years ago my cleaning lady moved and I hired a new person. In a month or two my floors looked clean only if examined up close and very carefully, otherwise they looked dull and did not smell fresh and clean any longer.After some detective work, interviewing the first cleaning lady and an effort to remember how I used to do the floors when I did them on my own, I identified the step that made all the difference. The second cleaning lady used orange glo 4-in-1 after having vacuumed the floor (no other step). The previous cleaning lady and myself vacuumed the floor and, before using the orange glo, washed the hardwood floor. I remember adding about a cup of ammonia to a bucket (about a gallon) of water and going over the floor with a mop pad squeezed essentially dry, washing it when dirty, re-squeeze etc. The first cleaning lady did the same thing but instead than ammonia she added a cup of vinegar to a gallon of water. In any case, the missing step was not washing the floor before using the orange glo. Reading now the directions at the back of the bottle, they do say to use a hardwood floor cleaner (and specify without oil in it) to clean the floor before using the orange glo 4-in-1, when the floor are very dirty. I never considered my floors to be so dirty to need the equivalent of a shampoo, but I thought they could benefit from the equivalent of a rinse before being dressed up. Clearly that was the right thing to do. I hadn't identified the "why" it was the right thing to do until I read the reviews just now. Now it makes sense to me: not cleaning the floor with a true cleaner (I think that water and vinegar or water and ammonia may be true cleaners for hardwood floors) means a build up of the oil-based orange glo from one time to next and the next and of course the grime not removed by the vacuum cleaner remains trapped as well. I will continue using the orange glo 4-in-1 as I have been doing: after cleaning/washing the floors with vinegar water or ammonia water because I like the resulting shine. At the same time, I have no intention to use a dedicated hardwood floor cleaner AND having to use a hardwood floor polish 2-3 time a year to maintain the esthetical appearance: for me the main reason to have polyutherane-treated hardwood floors is not to have to polish and wax them, as it needed to be done with hardwood floors in the past.
As an additional thought: I do like orange glo products and I am really sorry that their market seems to be shrinking. I like their oil for wood furniture care and I am still using their "orange cleaner though acting degreaser" so true to its name that only a minimal amount is needed to do the job without chemical odors. Unfortunately, they do not produce it any longer. I am still using a bottle I bought several years ago and I am at the end of it.

1.0 out of 5 stars 0 stars is really what this should be! There is a remedy though!!!, October 19, 2012
Don't be fooled! While this might look great at first use or even after a few months, eventually this will wear down or scrape off showing its true nature! Over time it builds up and traps unseen dirt, hair, and dust despite the most thorough vacuuming/sweeping slowly dulling your floors and, if you are unfortunate, starts to flake off in places especially near high traffic areas. After much research and reading many posts by unsatisfied and frustrated people whom have tried many ways to remove this misleading product to include a method that even the manufacturer recommends, I found that Windex works best to remove the residue!

Here's hope! I am currently writing this while I wait for one of the areas I am cleaning to soak hence how I know it works. Save your money on expensive cleaners or even a professional floor restoration as I have tried most of them, save the professional, to no avail!

To remove this gunk, spray a 3' x 2' area heavily with Windex Advanced. I used Advanced solely because that is what Costco carries in bulk. Lightly scrub the area in small circles. You will feel the sticky resistance and scrubbing will cause the Windex to foam. Spray again and let soak for at least 5 minutes. The bubbles cause the Windex to remain on the area allowing it to actually penetrate the Orange Glo otherwise it will evaporate. I am using a KitchenAid dish scrubber with nylon bristles that aren't abrasive as well as a Mr Clean scrubber, which is also non-abrasive, for the more stubborn areas. Note: My floor has taken one of the bulk bottles and looks like it will take one more and my floor is is approximately 600' sq.

Be forewarned! Depending on how often and how much you used will depend on how much labor will be involved. I am in day two of this and hope to be done tonight. I have not been solely working on this as there are other, more pressing matters to attend to but have been working at a reasonably steady pace.

Take heart. This will take some sweat, elbow grease, maybe a couple of not-so-nice mutterings, but it can be fixed. Good luck if you use this and then find you need to do the above to your floor.

The moral- Don't use Orange Glo unless you are planning on using this to get in a workout while scrubbing your floors! Like my hubby commented just now, "A quick fix with long term costs," sums this product up well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leaves floors shiny and protected, March 18, 2012
I've been using Orange Glo Hardwood Floor cleaner for about 10 years. I sweep and mop my floor and use it as a wax/finisher and not as a cleaner. I also only use it about once a month as it will build up on the floor if used too often. I use a Swiffer wood floor product (which doesn't leave the floor shiny) for weekly mopping, and save the Orange Glo for when company is coming.

It leaves a nice shine on my hardwood floors, and protects against drips and dirt scratches. It also covers small scratches and makes my floors look new again. It has a pleasant smell but within an hour or two the scent is gone.

It works best when used with the fuzzy mop they sell especially for applying it, but I've also used a dry swiffer pad in a pinch. It's important to only apply a very thin coat, following the wood grain, and not glop it on. It dries in 10-15 minutes, but I always give it 30 minutes before I let the kids and pets back on the floor.

This is a great product for making wood floors shine like new. Just don't over-use it or you'll have a gunky build-up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cockroaches, Cher...& Orange Glo..., May 5, 2013
James E. Gill (Glendale, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
You've heard the old joke that after the apocalypse, only two things will survive: cockroaches and Cher. Well, add Orange Glo to the list. This stuff absolutely, positively will not come off your floor (after it has gummed up every edge and corner) without a fight--a BIG fight! Orange Glo makes the walking areas of the floor look great for a few days. But, along every baseboard, you'll soon see a growing, ugly, black, dust/lint/God-knows-what-else asphalt-like film of Orange-Glo goop that would make anyone think your floors haven't been really cleaned in months. DON'T believe the people who have posted online that Zep or a 3-1 water-to-ammonia mixture will take off this liquid abomination. It is impervious to such wussy mixtures, as it is to mineral spirits, Goo-Gone and even steel wool and 150-grit sandpaper, at least for the first 2 or 3 minutes of vigorous sanding. I just finished using PURE ammonia, a scrubbing pad and a metal scraper. After about 5 minutes per section, the buildup on my oak floors finally gave way, becoming a grey-ish paste with viscosity similar to Elmer's glue about 180-seconds post-application.

Unfortunately, the only good wood floor product on the market--Rejuvinate--has such crummy spray applicators that it requires several hours of sprayer soaking after each use in order to be able to use the product a second time. Given the fact that there are few alternatives, it's probably your best bet to keep a regular shine on a wood floor. Whatever you do, however, do NOT by Orange Glo unless you really love the smell of pure ammonia and the feeling of sore knees and an aching back from hours of scrubbing and scraping to get this gunk off your good wood.

1.0 out of 5 stars WHY did I buy this S*tuff!! :(, August 26, 2013
In my defense I guess I didn't think you could buy something in a store that claims one thing on the bottle but delivers the exact opposite. Is this possible even? Yes!

In sum, applied on my knees (very carefuly), and only once. You have to be familiar with waxers, since it dries fast, and all mistakes shows. I must say that where it worked, the floor looked really shiny and it covered scratches well. However, since nobody is perfect, it was streaky in places from the beginning... Then my hs though he would be helpful in the kitchen and slobbered it on the best he could. Now -- that is one streaky floor - every movement of the rag shows - so if you want to use this - be sure to know something about applying stains/ finishes/ and waxes to any floor - or wood for that matter...

When I looked up how to remove this stuff from the kitchen (to reapply myself) I found out that it is a nightmare to remove - and that is very very true. The shine is disappearing with the first floor wash and the white streaks people are taking about show already. Thanks! I will be spending the next whole week on my floor!
I am so upset that I threw the 75% filled bottle out and all other Orange Glow products that I had and will never ever EVER buy another Orange Glow product - any kind! Plus this stuff smells like chemicals - and do not use without gloves - you will be able to smell it for hours on your skin.

Yesterday I finally did my homework and researched floor cleaners/ wax and settled on Weiman. Will update on progress & results.

UPDATE: Figured out that the best way to remove this stuff from the floor, after trying everything under the sun that other people have recomended, was baking soda. Put in a spray bottle with water, and use papertowels (wet and dry) so you do not smear this cr*p any futher. Yes, it is a lot of work that takes hours upon hours, I am currently spent at least a solid 20 hours on 200 sf. Get a toothbrush to get the baking soda residue and wax out of the groves. However, it was faster then removing a bit at a time with Windex, which was the second most effective method. (Orange Glow - never AGAIN!!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Orange Glo, December 12, 2012
I know there are some complaints about this product, but I've been using it for years, and I really like it. I've tried other cleaners, including Bona, but Bona comes in that spray bottle that wears your hand out if you have a large expanse of hardwood, which I do. Orange Glo leaves a nice mellow shine on the floor, and it does a good job cleaning. My only complaint is that the top always clogs and it's a pain to unclog. I'll take that over the spray any day, though. Anyhow, I'm a happy customer of Orange Glo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps my wood floors clean and shiny!, March 26, 2014
I have two dogs and they leave paw prints everywhere! So, recently I decided to save a few bucks and buy a commercial wood floor cleaner from one of those big box hardware stores. Sure, I saved a few bucks, and my floors were clean...but they were also very, very dull. Orange Glo keeps my wood floors clean and shiny!

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Cleaning Product I have Ever Used - DO NOT USE, December 6, 2013
This product is awful and it's unfortunate that a zero rating is unavailable. The product was recommended by our floor installer. Yeah, it looks very good the first few times after cleaning, but what Orange Glo does not tell you is that this product leaves a waxy buildup on the floor. After several months, our new floors looked awful and we began searching the web for a better product. Fortunately, we came across the Bona Professional line of products. To remove the Orange Glo film from less than 1 year old floors required wetting small areas of the floor with a cleaner, and using a razor blade to remove the film in strips. I did not want to refinish 1 year old flooring. Needless to say, on 1500 sq. ft. of hardwood flooring, this took a long time. After 2 years of using the Bona products, our hardwood flooring looks much, much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Floors Look New, April 1, 2014
We rented a house for several years which had non-polyurethane hardwood floors. I used this quarterly to brighten and revive the floors throughout the house. When we moved out the owners came for the walk-through and were stunned at how good the floors looked. They actually thought we had refinished them and were amazed at how great they looked.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not use this product!!, February 9, 2014
After using this product for several months I noticed a haze and build up of the product. I tried several cleaning products to remove this, but only after I researched on the internet did a find the solution. There are many consumer postings regarding the same issue and a "fix" from Orange Glo's customer service that involves using another product (ammonia) to dissolve this build up and restore your hardwood floor. Unfortunately, the work involved in this process is very time consuming and there is also the risk of damaging the floor. Orange Glo does have any disclaimer on this product. Take my advice and do not use.