Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 29, 2009
I'll put it right out here. I like Philip Glass - not everything he's written, but a lot. I echo another reviewer here, I don't like every piece on this download, but I like most of it. Yes, Glass is a minimalist and he doesn't appeal to everyone, but his body of work is tremendous and this download would be a good introduction and most people will find something they like. It will give you enough of a taste that you might want to explore his body of work even more. In addition to his classical works he has done soundtracks like "The Truman Show" and collaborated with David Bowie to write the "Low Symphony" And it is free! Thank you Orange Mountain. I own many Glass cd's and I probably will purchase more in the future. It is nice to have something free.
on October 28, 2009
This is an excellent sampler of Glass' music. The selections are from a variety of compositions written over a period years for different combinations of musicians. This is a great place to start an exploration of Glass' music and you will want to move on from the selections you like to the larger works from which they are excerpted. There are many hours of musical exploration here. Thank you Amazon.
on October 28, 2009
This is both an amazing collection of music and surprisingly accessible. I appreciate modern classical music, but I am no aficionado. After listening to this compilation, I felt like Glass has a lot to offer and you don't have to study the minimalists to "get it." What an amazing composer.
on August 29, 2012
This is a really great sample album of Philip Glass music, very melodic and user friendly. Some of his pieces can be repetitive and hard on the ear, but the selections in this sampler are mostly not those. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon August 25, 2011
The Orange Mountain Music Philip Glass Sampler Vol.I is a wonderful blend of instrumental music as well as a few vocals thrown in for good measure. There are several piano pieces, saxaphone pieces, orchestra pieces and a music box trac. It is 67 minutes of listening pleasure.
on August 27, 2012
A true minimalist. An outstanding musical sonata of symphonies.
I really enjoyed the music fest.CLASSIC! Philip Glass is one of the living classical composers that I know. This album is commendable to audiophiles like myself. - Ryanski R. Arutnev
on May 12, 2014
It is hard to imagine that Phillip Glass is considered one of America's most influential composers of the 21st century. Indeed, he has a readily distinguishable style of repetitious, alternating pitches that is often used for movie soundtrack scores. Every one of his songs sounds like the last, with meager variances and lacking creative exploration of other rhythmic or tonal patterns.

After I downloaded and listened to this album, I felt so neurotic, that I was compelled to delete it from my extensive music library...something I have never done with any other musician or album.
on October 13, 2009
Philip Glass is one of my favorite living classical composers, along with Ligeti, Thomas Ades and John Adams, who my wife studied with at the S.F. Conservatory.

Anyway, watch Koyannisqatsi again if you haven't lately... and no need for me to ramble on too much. The 5-star rating must be shared by AMAZON for being such a cool music seller. This is the best kind of enlightened self-interest! If only Porsche would do something like this.

(A. Garrison... if you're within the sound of my voice, I'm listening to my new Mozart sampler as this all downloads... ain't life great!?)
55 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2012
Free music isn't always worth the time to download. I recommend downloading this collection of largely piano pieces, but other pieces too. It sounds great, makes good backing music to work or play, and is just good listening. The music ranges from simple to complex, easy to difficult (if you plan to play along, I mean), and slow to... Well, moderately paced. Anyway, an enjoyable listen.
on March 5, 2010
I am a soundtrack (movie score) enthusiast. There are alot of composers right now who are writing excellent music, all to be hidden in movie soundtracks. Most people don't even realize that the music they are hearing behind all the action, talking or what have you, is what is setting the mood for that scene.
However, the stuff I collect are the loud, orchestra driven guys. John Williams, Harry Gregson Williamson, Hans Zimmer, Klaus Badelt. I like action movies and the scores that go with them.
That being said, when I came across this with the free downloads, and saw the tracks being offered, I figured what the heck, its free. I honestly had never heard of Mr. Glass. Now that I have, I will be looking for more of his stuff.
Different moods are covered in this collection, from quiet and relaxing, to pensive. The orchestration is quite good, and the solo piano pieces are wonderful and relaxing.
Thanks to Orange Mountain Music for this wonderful collection, and to Amazon for offering this in a way that helps to get this type of music heard.