5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful quiet and fun activity
My two children, 3 and 5, love these mosaics. It keeps them occupied for a long time, and they have something beautiful to show everyone when they're finished. I highly recommend it, especially if your child likes to figure things out (e.g. puzzles or mazes).

Published on March 11, 2008 by Bookworm Momma

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed
The overall concept of this toy is good but the durablility is not. The easel for pictures is flimsey and the picture sheets themselves are thin. There is a really good number of the magnets in case you loose some.
Published on September 1, 2009 by SLP

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful quiet and fun activity, March 11, 2008
This review is from: Orb Factory Magnetic Mosaics Kids (Toy)

If you're giving this as a present, you'll want to plan ahead, for the following reasons: 1) The cubes do not come already separated; they are in one block for each color, with the foam already cut but the magnetic backing only perforated. It takes quite a bit of time to carefully break them apart (remember, it's 600 cubes!). 2) The foam cubes had an overwhelming smell of volatile chemicals when we opened the box. This is normal with foam, but you don't want your children breathing it in. Just break the cubes up, arrange them on some trays, and let them outgas for a week or so in a very warm room that no one uses very much. When the smell is almost unnoticeable, they're ready to use.

Also, you can't complete 2 mosaics at the same time with the cubes provided. (The set only comes with one magnetic board, but we had an extra one, and my children of course want to work on these together.) For the mosaics that don't completely fill the paper with cubes, they have been able to just use different colors in some spots, but with most of the designs, even this won't compensate. I am probably going to buy another set since they love these so much.

Also, there are downloads of new designs available on the manufacturer's web site; just click the "Downloads" link on the bottom right corner of the home page. There are currently only 3 designs for the Magnetic Mosaics Kids available, and they are on letter size paper (much smaller than the designs that come with the set). But my kids didn't seem to mind!

Again, I highly recommend this toy. It has great educational and aesthetic value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mosaic Magic, October 30, 2009
This review is from: Orb Factory Magnetic Mosaics Kids (Toy)
This is a great toy. It refines small motor skills while teaching both colors and numbers (up to 12). My 4 year old granddaughter is enjoying it very much. She will work on a single picture in short periods of time over several days. It's a masterpiece and she is very proud of it. I purchased a plastic case with 12 compartments for storage of the colored foam pieces. Makes it much easier to access them. Plastic ziploc bags were a hassle and the only other option is to have all the pieces jumbled together.

4.0 out of 5 stars A toy with staying power, July 23, 2008
J. Logan (Grand Rapids, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Orb Factory Magnetic Mosaics Kids (Toy)
So often, the toys bought at Christmas lose their luster within days or hours. Magnetic Mosaics, on the other hand, has enjoyed lots of playtime at our house. The kids enjoy seeing the mosaics come to life and having their artwork displayed - there's an included easel. I enjoy the fact that it's a quiet non TV-based activity, can be done by one or two kids, and there's virtually no mess! Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for all ages, December 15, 2007
This review is from: Orb Factory Magnetic Mosaics Kids (Toy)
This is a very fun toy for kids ages 4-8 but adults and older kids can enjoy this too. The only thing I didn't like was that there aren't many extra pieces and some of the pictures need to use nearly all of one color so be careful not lose any of the pieces. This toy isn't for a child who puts things in their mouths, for they would pose as a choking hazard. There are lots and lots of pictures including with this and it will help children with their colors and numbers. I got this for my twin daugters 6th birthday and they have enjoyed putting together many of the pictures already.

4.0 out of 5 stars simple and fun, January 19, 2008
Stephanie Mclaughlin (Eugene, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great introduction to mosaic building. So far, we haven't had enough time to really play with it due to the large volume of other interesting toys that came at Christmas. The foam squares smell a little funny at first. We bought this one and the next level mosaic kit that comes without templates, but that one seemed less beginner-friendly so we started with this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mosaic magnet toy, January 11, 2009
This review is from: Orb Factory Magnetic Mosaics Kids (Toy)
The mosaic magnet toy is fun for kids of all ages who have seen it. The adults seem to enjoy it, too. The blocks are a good size to work on small motor skills. The only problem is that the magnets have come off of some of the foam blocks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift, January 1, 2008
This review is from: Orb Factory Magnetic Mosaics Kids (Toy)
My 6 year old daughter received this as a Christmas gift. The entire family has enjoyed creating the mosaic pictures. I liked it so much that I ordered one for my classroom for indoor recess days. I did purchase a small clear storage box to keep all of the tiles in. Some pictures require all of one color so you must be careful not to lose any tiles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Quiet Activity, July 19, 2010
This review is from: Orb Factory Magnetic Mosaics Kids (Toy)
I would highly recommend this toy for anyone with a 4 year or older. This is a very fun thing and it keeps them busy for a long time. It's very exciting to see their faces as the pictures come to life. Plus, with so many designs, they can try a great deal of options before becoming bored. What child doesn't love playing with magnets?! I have a 4, 3 and 2 year old. This toy is wonderful for the 3 and 4 year old. We usually try to do this while the 2 year old is napping. The durability ratings are based on her curiosity about this toy.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed, September 1, 2009
SLP (Howe, TX USA) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but room for improvement, May 4, 2013
This review is from: Orb Factory Magnetic Mosaics Kids (Toy)
I cannot say enough good things about this product, it is exactly what I was looking for. My son loves doing sticker mosaic projects like My First Sticky Mosaics® Vehicles, but he goes through them fast and it can get pricey. With this he can use it over and over and there are even more designs you can download and print out from the magnetic mosaics website. My 4 year old enjoys this, although the designs are big enough that it sometimes pushes the limits of his attention span. He is able to do it independently and it will keep him busy for long stretches of time. It's great for developing fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination. We got a 12 compartment container to store the blocks in because it's easier than digging through the big plastic bag they come in and my son enjoys sorting the colors.

All that said, I really wish it was higher quality - I appreciate that it's inexpensive, but I happily would have paid more for something more durable.

Like most foam items, the blocks have a very strong odor at first and you will want to air them out for awhile before your child uses it. You'll also need to separate all the blocks which can take some time. The paper the designs are printed on is very thin and I worry they won't hold up over time (they also smelled terrible at first too, which I didn't expect). The magnets on the foam blocks are thin and probably wouldn't hold up anything more than the thin paper the designs are printed on. I was going to print more designs out on card stock to last longer, but I don't think the magnets will hold it. I didn't notice at first, but the magnets only stick to one side of the board, so if you're having trouble with that flip it over. There also aren't many extra blocks, if any. Some designs will use every last block of a color, so if you lose any you're in trouble and I haven't seen anywhere to order more.

Orb Factory Magnetic Mosaics Kids