4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product 4.5 stars
I ordered this device in order to assist me in accurately measuring my body after reading about it in the 4 hour body book.

Published on December 25, 2010 by Vaguedreams

2.0 out of 5 stars Started out great, finished as a flop
The first couple weeks I had m OrbiTape, it operated exactly as advertised. Easy to use, easy to read, and capable of measuring body parts. I was even willing to look past the unnecessarily silly design choices (star button, overly-bulky body) because it just worked.

Published on March 11, 2011 by B. King

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product 4.5 stars, December 25, 2010
This review is from: OrbiTape Body Mass Tape Measure (Misc.)

I found the product to be exactly as described and extremely easy to use for measuring accurately, quickly, and easily. The product shipped quickly, and was an excellent price. At the time I ordered they were on special for five dollars, but I would easily pay double that, it's just that convenient.

A regular measuring tape works fine mind you, again, this is just more of a convenience item. There are a few things that stop this from being a perfect product for me, but they are all fairly minor.

1.) The Nub that locks the tape into a loop can slide out fairly easily. It would be nice if it had a slightly tighter fit so it would not slide off during a measurement. It is easily resolved by adjusting how you do things, but it's a slight irritation.

2.) The tape does not lock at any point like a regular measuring tape. What this means is that you can't lock the tape and take it off to look at an accurate measurement. Honestly, this is very minor because all it means is that you need to get the reading while it is on you. This is what it was designed for though and it only bothered me when attempting to see my waist measurement.

3.) The biggest gripe in my opinion, and the only one that really marks it down for me is that for the extremely obese (like myself) the tape is not long enough to get an accurate measurement around my body. For most, this is a non-factor, but for me it stops me from easily measuring my waist. If the tape was just a few inches longer this would not be a factor. It's a small hindrance though and there is no one else to blame but myself, but it stops it from being absolutely perfect for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use, accurate, nice design, January 12, 2011
Amazon Customer (Broomfield, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OrbiTape Body Mass Tape Measure (Misc.)
Very simple to use, very reliable. Nice design. Easy to read even if you have bifocals or other issues with reading it on your body.

* Wrap the tape somewhat loosely around the desired body part, placing the nub into the hole it goes into.
* Press the star button to get it to retract to a constant tension. Release the star button.
* Remove the nub from the hole you put it into - without pressing the star. The reading is now locked in.
* Put the tape up to where you can read it - the tape will stay locked - if you don't press the star.

You can now read the circumference of whatever just wrapped it around - provided it's between about 6 inches and 60 inches.

2.0 out of 5 stars Started out great, finished as a flop, March 11, 2011
This review is from: OrbiTape Body Mass Tape Measure (Misc.)

Fast forward to a month later, and the tape no longer retracts at the push of the starbutton. Now you have to mess with the tape and tweak it around just so, and maybe the tape will retract. Because of this, it's no longer easy to operate with one hand, and has lost a lot of functionality. I'm throwing my OrbiTape away, and will not be buying another.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, April 10, 2011
This review is from: OrbiTape Body Mass Tape Measure (Misc.)
I've had the Orbitape for about a month now. I think it's easy to use and fairly accurate. I haven't had a problem with it retracting like some people have written. It's much easier than using a regular tape measure.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for long, April 3, 2011
This review is from: OrbiTape Body Mass Tape Measure (Misc.)
I was able to take three measurements. And then it all poured out on the floor.

I could not get the tape to retract. How cheap can you get? Good idea, bad manufacturing!

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken, June 29, 2011
This review is from: OrbiTape Body Mass Tape Measure (Misc.)
On arrival this was broken a bit but with a little effort I was able to put the tape back in the correct position to make it usable. Within the first month of use it came apart once again and the whole thing tape, spring and all unraveled and was thrown out. The tape was torn 3/4 of the way from the end that gets placed in the round hole for measuring as well. While I think the idea is great I will be looking for a different brand tape with similar functions that will hopefully be of much better quality. The thing about this tape that makes me the most frustrated is that had they put something to keep the two plastic halves together there wouldn't have been any issues.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, June 21, 2012
This review is from: OrbiTape Body Mass Tape Measure (Misc.)
I bought this measuring tape after seeing all of the great reviews. I only used it one time and it doesn't retract anymore. Wasted $6 for a one time measurement.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ouch!!, December 6, 2012
T (toronto, canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OrbiTape Body Mass Tape Measure (Misc.)
The idea of this tape is a good one but they need to fix the construction. It has no locking or securing mechanism of any sort so the tape slides right out of the hole and whips you!! In one round of body measurements, I got whipped by the tape at least 6 times and this was with me securing the tape inside the hole with my finger. It is very painful!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great while it lasted, February 20, 2013
This review is from: OrbiTape Body Mass Tape Measure (Misc.)
It is super handy and gives consistent tension for a consistent measurement. It's cheaply made and didn't last very long, unfortunately. At first it would stay extended until you pushed the button to tighten it, but it stopped staying extended after a couple of months (used only by me 2-3x per week). Then the tape started to tear around the rod. Right now it's hanging by a thread, so I'm shopping for another one. I'll try a different brand this time, but since they are all priced the same, I'm guessing they are all made about the same. All in all it has lasted about six months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius in a Tape Measure?, July 2, 2011
Amazon Customer (Silver Spring, MD, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OrbiTape Body Mass Tape Measure (Misc.)
I resisted buying this for months because I figured what do I need a special tap measure for. I heard about it through Tim Ferriss and the 4-Hour Body, and I had been using a soft tailor's tape measure to measure my Total Inches to track weight loss. Then it dawned on me that sometimes I'm pulling harder on the tape measure and making a smaller measurement, and lighter at other times, which would make for a slightly larger measurement. Minor, but inaccurate, so I couldn't trust my "progress". This one is spring-loaded, so it's always using the same tensions, so I can trust the consistency of measurements more.

Once I got past that hurdle of a real need, then I realized just how much easier it is to use one-handed. Clipping the end in on the other side removes the need for another hand, and makes the measuring fast. Fast measuring means it's easier, so I do it more often, which is much better.

So, now I see what they invented a new tape measure. Thanks!

OrbiTape Body Mass Tape Measure