5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for!
After spending a day or two looking at all the different digital timers I could not find one that you could program each outlet independently. I ended up seeing this one at Costco for $34 and I decided to pick it up, although the packaging lacks any type of description of its capabilities.

So after playing with the timer I discovered you can set the two...
Published on June 15, 2010 by Random

Published on June 18, 2010 by E.C.

3.0 out of 5 stars Convenient and functional timer, but plastic connectors not great, June 18, 2010
E.C. (San Diego, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Orbit 3-outlet Digital Watering/Sprinkling Timer Set (Misc.)
I found this timer at Costco but couldn't find any reviews or detailed specs for it anywhere. The advertised description is badly lacking, but I decided to give it a try anyways. I'm using the timer to control two drip irrigation lines to my vegetable garden and some potted plants. I've had it running about 2 weeks so far, so I thought I'd share some initial impressions and provide some details.

The timer has two programmable outlets and one manual pass-through. The timer can only be set to run at regular intervals from a specified start time. Intervals can be set to 6 hrs, 12 hrs, or 1 - 7 days. Watering duration can be set anywhere from 1 to 240 min, in 1 min increments. All settings can be set differently for the two programmable outlets. The clock does not recognize days of the week, and you cannot specify exact times for multiple starts during the day. Ideally I would have preferred to set 2-3 start times during the day and have it stay off overnight. But the closest I can get is to set it for every 6 or 12 hours. Finer control of short durations also would have been nice for people who are not using this timer to water the lawn, but that seems to be a common limitation of many timers.

When in the default auto mode, there is a button to manually start a watering cycle immediately without affecting the timer schedule. For the manual start, you choose one of the programmable outlets and a duration from 1 to 240 min. It does not automatically cycle both outlets. You can also set a rain delay to suspend timer operation for 24, 48, or 72 hours. The manual 3rd outlet operates with a lever.

It runs on 2 AA batteries (included), and has a low battery indicator. Additional included accessories are brass quick connects, and a mounting bracket if you want to affix it more securely to a wall. The hose connections on the main unit are plastic, but the overall construction seems reasonably sturdy. I have all ports connected and haven't seen any leaks. The manual doesn't say anything about weather-proofing, but it looks like they've made some attempts to make it water resistant. (At least the battery compartment seems to have a seal around the edge.) But based on the complaints I've read for many other timers, where they often seem less rain resistant than you'd expect for this kind of device, I'm keeping a plastic sheet over mine just to be safe.

So far I'm pretty satisfied with this unit. A little more control over the exact timer settings would have been nice, but it does the basic functions I need. Having the three outlets is convenient, and the included quick connects are a nice bonus to avoid wear on the plastic threads for the line I'll have to periodically disconnect when I mow the lawn.

UPDATE: Not even a week after writing the above, mine did start to leak between the top hose connector and the main body. It appears the plastic connectors do not hold up well to stress. My unit was attached directly to a faucet with a slight angle (maybe 10 deg off vertical). Probably the weight of 3 hoses hanging off the bottom, together with the slight bending stress from the mounting angle, caused the joint to eventually leak. I changed my setup to feed the unit from a short hose from the faucet, so that I could lay the timer on its back with less strain on the connectors, and the unit has been pretty much leak-free since. Bottom line: Given that the average user is going to hang the timer directly off the faucet, Orbit should have avoided using so much plastic. But if you're able to set it up without too much stress on the connectors, the timer may work fine for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for!, June 15, 2010

So after playing with the timer I discovered you can set the two programmable outlets for separate times as well as separate days!!! This thing is beyond easy to set up, no funky codes like 1, 2, A or B. The device itself is made out of plastic but seems very sturdy.

I have only had it for a week so I can't say how long it will last.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked well for a month, then leaks, June 19, 2010
This is a very nice product when it doesn't leak. I purchased two these from the local warehouse supply place. The setup is easy as other reviewers have stated. I use this time hooked up to my drip irrigation system and have around 30 hanging baskets, deck pots and containers being watered twice a day.

Around one month into owernship of the first time it started to leak internally. How do I know internally? I disconnected all of the hoses and just left the time hooked up to the faucet. With the faucet on, the timer leaks from the seam at the bottom of the device. Obviously the valve of some other component inside of the device is broken.

This was such a disappointment. I know this device is plastic, but I had high hopes for it. Usually this warehouse club sells quality items and not the common place throw away stuff.

Hopefully I just got a bad unit, but somehow I think that this device is just a larger throw away unit. Will try exchanging it one time and see how it works out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Orbit will help, August 11, 2010
That is too bad that some have experienced some problems with this timer. Mine has functioned flawlessly. Orbit typically sells very innovative products at good prices. They offer the best warranty (6 years on this timer), they are based in the US (speak great english), and are very friendly and have done a great job following up with me in the past. Give them a call, I am sure they will make it right with you. Orbit Help Line: 1-800-488-6156

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked great for one season, then developed internal leaks and became worthless, July 16, 2011
I purchased this timer at Costco a season ago. It offered two zones and three outlets and an easy to program interface. And it worked great last year.

This year, I attached it, tried it out, and it had developed an internal leak. Nope, not a leak at the hose attachment points, and not at the point the timer attaches to your water faucet. The leak is internal. The timer is thus worthless after one season.

Fortunately, Costco took it back. But I wouldn't buy this brand or model again unless you are buying it with the idea that it will be worthless after one season.

Too bad. Good functionality. Poor construction. Too typical of this product segment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little timer.., July 4, 2011
Lets face it, if you're buying this unit you are avoiding paying for a sprinkler system. It works great for what it is, and you can also get one with up to 4 stations. [...] Buy the black flex hose and fittings and do it yourself sprinkler.. Easy, and I did 4 stations for under $400. I have two units and haven't had issues with leaks. You can set the timers for every 6-12 hours or once a day. Next best thing to a professional watering system.

5.0 out of 5 stars dindybear, July 22, 2011
We have over an acre and a half and I have these set up all over. I run all my drip line and some sprinklers off this timer. I have 11 of them now, the batteries last for well over a year, they are easy to set and very convenient. I bought my original 9 at Costco and was excited to find them on Amazon.

2.0 out of 5 stars 3 outlets, but only two can be timed, June 27, 2010
Bill Kearney (Bethesda, MD USA) - See all my reviews
When I saw this at Costco I figured it'd be worth buying. I've had other Orbit timer devices in the past. I'm disappointed with this one. The construction quality is not very good. The fitting on the top (the inlet) does not make a very good seal and tends to leak. You can reduce this somewhat by putting a thicker washer in there. But it still tends to weep a couple of drops.

My main complaint is misleading packaging. You'd think that a 3 outlet digital timer would offer control over THREE outlets. This is not the case. It only controls TWO of the outlets. The third is basically just a bypass for a hose. Well, that pretty much makes it useless for me. Be warned.

The new rotary dial programming is a bit friendlier than the old pushbuttons. It also has a very easy to use delay feature. You can easily tell it to skip watering for a few days, great for when you know it's going to be raining, etc.

If it was actually three outlets and did a better job of making a seal then it'd deserve a better review. My advice, skip this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dumb software, May 11, 2014
Want to water multiple times during the day, but NOT in the middle of the night? You need to buy a different timer. Boo to orbit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy these items, October 20, 2013
Stan Minasian (Larkspur, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought two of these units, brand new. I loaded them with lithium batteries and programmed them and initially they both worked fine. four weeks later the left outlet on both units flows uncontrollably even after reprogramming the unit a dozen times. Outlet #2 works well, but outlet #1 on both units does not and it seems there is nothing I can do about it, and Amazon will not allow me to return or exchange them. Needless to say, I'm pretty pissed off about this.