4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, an intelligent garden timer

2.0 out of 5 stars Failed Twice in one Season
Published on July 11, 2009 by S. L. Tabb

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, an intelligent garden timer, August 31, 2008
value hunter (High Point, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Orbit 91932 Lawn & Garden 4-Station Yard Watering System (Lawn & Patio)
This a second purchase for me of an Orbit Yard Watering System. I had purchased a more robust kit at Costco earlier in the year. I use the Orbit as an automated way to manage my drip irrigation system. In the back yard I have four zones, one for each of the four stations the Orbit can manage. This more recent purchase is being used for a two-zone drip irrigation system in the front yard.

The Orbit is pretty simple to set-up but I do have to offer a caveat. It is not possible to set up the different zones (A,B,C,D) to water on different days. All four zones will water in sequence, A through D, on the given day and start time you have established. The system will allow you to establish the amount of time each zone will receive water up to 99 minutes.

All in all, although its not perfect, the Orbit is a big improvement over timers that can handle a single zone. My old backyard set-up required four individual timers on a water distribution manifold. Now a single Orbit controls the timing for all four zones. It looks better and is easier to set-up and maintain.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Orbit System is Fantastic, July 2, 2008
MSU Bulldog Fan (Ocean Springs, MS) - See all my reviews
I have been using this system for over a year and it works great. We travel a lot and I just set my plants out, hook up the sprinkler and it waters them as often as I want. I also have one of the faucets set up with a soaker hose for my beds and they are watered too. You can't go wrong with this unit and the price is much better than an inground sprinkler system. It's battery operated and I was skeptical about how long it would work. Well I'm on the original set of batteries and it's been over a year that I installed the system. Truly a super product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for home watering systems, September 6, 2008
We now own 3 of these for watering our lawns and gardens. They work excellent and have made out life much easier. The units hooked up with no problems and now water our gardens at night. We no longer have to go out to turn on and off the watering system.

Setup was fairly easy, enter the date and time. You then pick which days you want to water or every other day. You then pick the how long you want each unit to water. You can then pick different schedules if you want, we just have one.

The only confusion I had was that you start setting it all up by pressing the Confirm button and then half way through you have to start pressing the Next button. This threw me a bit.

Also realize that you can no longer just go out and turn on the valve to water. You will have to enter next then confirm and then it cycles through all the units.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Service, Price, Product, October 25, 2008
F. Jones (Tidewater, VA) - See all my reviews
Doing a lawn renovation, which needs water every day for 2 weeks. Bought PVC pipe and sprinkler heads at Lowes and HD for a quick above-ground system - dry fitted the pipe. This product was the no-cut, no-drill solution I needed. Read the instructions and learn how to use this thing. It's very capable to handle any watering need without dragging hoses and changing attachments. Having been there & done that, I give this 5-stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of a kind system, April 27, 2009
This is the only option for using multiple sprinklers over a large area. This is because it opens each sprinkler in sequence so you get full pressure to each one. A must have item!

2.0 out of 5 stars Failed Twice in one Season, July 11, 2009
S. L. Tabb (Lakeland, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I have had two of these timers in my garden, one purchased locally, and one I received as a replacement on a return. I will never buy anything by Orbit again. Two different models have failed by letting water into the supposedly waterproof timing device. One time the battery compartment corroded, the other time, the electronics. This water was not water from the hose, but rather from rainstorms. The hose attachment parts are difficult to get a good seal on and both of the ones I owned had continual leaks at the hose collars and the valve collars. If these watering timers from Orbit cannot take being left in an occasional thundershower, they should say so on the box and I would not have wasted my time or money buying any product produced by this company.

1.0 out of 5 stars no wonder it is discontinued, May 15, 2014
this is a badly engineered timer. impossible to program easily. I dont like it and will do a better research before buying orbit. I did buy it at a local store. very expensive and the worse I bought 3 - 2 years ago

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, November 21, 2011
I have used this system for a couple years now and I find it does a very good job once it is setup. Every year I set it up and have to refer back to the directions becasue it is not very intuitive. But once it is setup I don't have to touch it all summer long. Well worth the price if you can reach were you are trying to water with a hose.

4.0 out of 5 stars Orbit 4-station watering system, April 12, 2009
I'm on my second year of using the Orbit to water the hanging baskets and potted flowers. I only use one zone (one water valve). A few big pluses. Since the controller and the valve(s) are seperate, you can unplug the valve(s) and remove the controller to easily re-program. You don't need to futz with the controller as your bending over to the hose bib. Also since I'm using only one zone & my watering needs change due to the Seattle weather, I program each zone with different watering times. If I need more or less water, I just move the plug & don't have to reprogram.