5.0 out of 5 stars The best Nance has written
I have to pay for my books - so when I buy all the authors I follow, I have big expectations that I will be entertained, excited, informed, entranced, all of the above and more.
Orbit: A Novel satisfies on so many levels - A story about Kip Dawson, who has won a trip on a commercial space craft and what happens to him. Things go awry, and he is the only living person...
Published on March 4, 2006 by ellen

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it could be, but readable
Others have written excellent summaries of the book, so I will just share my observations. Overall, the book was a quick and enjoyable read, based on an interesting idea. There were some irritations, though, like sand in my swim suit, that I'd like to express.

1. There was one female character. One. She was partially developed, given her overall minor role...
Published on April 9, 2008 by Janita Bennett

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Orbit is a good read., May 11, 2013
This review is from: Orbit: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
My wife had read this book earlier and enjoyed it but she has always liked Nance's books so I was somewhat skeptical as to how a book about a space flight could hold my interest (I like action books). I was pleasantly surprised by this story. It has a lot going for it such as our space efforts and current problems, human interest at several levels, technology issues, politics as well as drama, all cleverly woven together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, March 24, 2013
This review is from: Orbit: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
Deffinantly a book that society needs to read, it keeps you captivated from the very first word. i would recommend it to everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars I was surprised I liked it., December 31, 2012
This review is from: Orbit: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
The basis of the book does not seem like it would hold your attention but it was captivating and interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Orbit Novel, November 30, 2012
This review is from: Orbit: A Novel (Paperback)
Just plain a great fun way book to read. It is a fast read and presents many issues that we will soon face in our space endevors.
Tony, Colfax

5.0 out of 5 stars Orbit, March 31, 2012
This review is from: Orbit: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I read everything Mr.Nance writes he keeps you on the edge and guessing whats going to happen next I love reading stories about Flying and have read all of his books can't wait till the next one comes out

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventurous, October 7, 2011
This review is from: Orbit: A Novel (Paperback)
Not only did John J. Nance write an chair gripping novel, he also read it on Audio on Compact Disc. He is very talented is both fields. The relationship between adventure and personal growth, is clearly understood in Nance's main chacter, Kit Dawson. What an exciting story.

2.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing, July 26, 2011
This review is from: Orbit: A Novel (Paperback)
The idea behind this book is interesting but the author's decision to have the main
character write his memoirs instead of trying to save himself is boring
and unbelievable. I've enjoyed some of Nance's other books but unfortunately, this
one was very disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some sci-fi, lots of emotion, July 19, 2011
This review is from: Orbit: A Novel (Paperback)
Kip Dawson, a pharmaceutical rep has won the lottery. Or something like it - he has won a trip to outer space aboard a commercial space craft. When he decides to go on the trip, he angers his wife Sharon, who believes that he is putting himself in grave danger and risking the future of his family for what is essentially a pleasure trip. Dawson plows on ahead undeterred, even when he is informed by the Company that he will be the only passenger aboard, the other three paying passengers having been unable to fly. D-day arrives and the flight takes off smoothly. All is well until a small piece of flying debris crashes through the spaceship, kills the pilot and knocks out the communication with earth, leaving our intrepid hero, Kip, to fend for himself. Dawson, now for all purposes alone in the world, must figure out, sans help, how to get out of orbit and back to earth.

At first unable to believe that such an accident has happened, Dawson succumbs to despair. Then, he begins to fight back trying to recall the training and beginning to look for manuals which will help him get his house (or ship) in order. His efforts fail though when he misses the window time to remove the ship from orbit, and as he contemplates death by carbon-dioxide, he begins to record his thoughts on a laptop. Unknown to him, his musings are being published on the internet, via a remaining communication link. As people on earth begin to read his logs, preparations are also afoot for a rescue mission. Will Dawson ever get to see another earth dawn ?

This is the first Nance authored book that I have read, and if this is the kind of story he spins, I wouldn't mind reading all the rest of them. This is a good old fashioned yarn, well-told and nicely paced. Nance intersperses his writing with cleverly placed twists which keep one engrossed. Note that although this is the sci-fi genre the book doesn't delve too deeply into scientific matters. The middle of the book did get quite emotionally heavy, as Kip alone in orbit reminisces about his family and his life. So although this book has a "space/science fiction" setting, this book can be enjoyed by everyone - not just sci-fi afficionados . The writing is simple and serves to convey the plot, and the emphasis is on the human story.

The story is told from Kip's point of view and Kip is a hero you can get behind. Still, I do have to agree a bit with the Kirkus Review which pegged this book as being about "men doing manly things". Kip is quite a hero, but he isn't perfect - note the wandering eye and the lissome, leggy Diana Ross - I haven't read many books where a married heroine would admire the physical attributes of a man. I wouldn't say that this detracted from the book, although I'm a little miffed that Kip is not above reproach - a hero needs the 100% support of his readers.

This book will become a movie in 2013, it's rights having been bought by Fox, and I can quite see this as the perfect candidate for a film, because - and this is my grouse with the book - it is a cliched story. Man goes into space - reluctant husband, not-great-father, uncaring son and comes back reformed and appreciating life and family, having realized the error of his ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book doesn't even need my review, January 25, 2011
Wonderfully written and thought out. I read it in a single day. Fast paced and able to connect to the humanist. I don't need to say much more everyone else has written great reviews already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everybody should read this!, May 8, 2010
This review is from: Orbit: A Novel (Hardcover)
A private space company sends lottery winners into orbit around the earth. Through a freak accident, Kip is stranded alone, stuck orbiting the earth. He starts journaling his life on the computer, but little does he know everyone on Earth is able to read his journal.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 | Next ›

Orbit: A Novel
Orbit: A Novel by John J. Nance (Paperback - February 5, 2011)
$18.99 $16.97