4.0 out of 5 stars The best consumer ionizer to date
Published on February 2, 2012 by Matt

1.0 out of 5 stars Makes me nuts
This product drives me crazy. It cleans the air nicely but every time the Truman Cell filter needs cleaned, you have to use a horrible smelling, very messy chemical spray and then every time I put the very carefully cleaned metal filter back in, the whole machine rebels -- flashes, quits working, etc. The Oreck store guy was very nice and replaced parts for me each time...
Published 15 days ago by Farmgirl

4.0 out of 5 stars The best consumer ionizer to date, February 2, 2012
Matt (Missouri USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oreck Dual Max Air Purifier (Misc.)
I've been waiting for a forced air ionizer/air cleaner like this for awhile. I use fan based HEPA air filters, and this is by far quieter than any of those. On medium and low settings, the Oreck is nearly completely silent. Even on high, for the amount of air it puts out, I still consider it moderately quiet. Remember, I'm accustomed to fan based HEPA filters, so this is by far more quiet than any.

As for the odor absorbency, this leaves a bit to be desired. It does work but not in a single pass manner. Many carbon filter manufacturers (the part of HEPA filters that scrub out odor) usually pride themselves on single pass efficiency. In other words the ideal goal is to eliminate 99.9% of odor on the first pass. I am a smoker so this becomes important to eliminate smell ASAP.

On all settings, low, medium, high, the odor would be scrubbed about 85% out. For non smokers or low to moderate odor environments, this is probably good enough. The odor scrubber is simply a few strips of ultraviolet LEDs' that can be turned on and off, though I see no reason to turn it off. Ultraviolet light is the best odor absorber to date; however being LEDs' and the fact that a little odor remains tells me the LEDs' don't put out true UV light, or are simply not powerful enough.

Pros:

Super quiet
Easy to clean, nearly fool proof
Doesn't get dirty too quickly
It will dry the "Truman cell" ionizer prior to energizing it, so it doesn't cause permanent damage.
Nightlight that has 3 brightness levels (off, low, high)
Remote control

Cons:

Odor absorbency could be better, but is adequate.

I will update further if anything changes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, clean air at last!, August 11, 2012
This review is from: Oreck Dual Max Air Purifier (Misc.)
After suffering with allergies for years I have tried nearly every air purifier, cleaner and ionizer on the market. I saw Oreck Dual-Max in an info-merical one night when my allergies were keeping me awake. I decided it was worth trying and I am so very glad that I did. On the medium setting my living room, dining room and kitchen smelled wonderful and my breathing was much improved. The congestion I had suffered was easing and I decided to get a second for my bedroom. Since the product is costly, I checked Amazon and found a great deal for a new Dual Max. I cannot tell you how happy I am that I did. My congestion that I suffered all day and night is incredibly improved, just about gone! We are in the worst allergy season in my part of the country and when I go outside the allergies start to act up again. I come back home to the smell of sweet air and feel so much better! If you are thinking about getting any air filter, don't let the price of this make you hesitate. There are no filters to replace, just monthly maintenance. You cannot put a price on breathing better, sleeping better and feeling so much better.

On the lowest speed there is virtually no sound. On medium, which is what I keep both of mine on, there is a slight hum that is not at all bothersome. On the high setting it is noisy. However I only use that occasionally, such as after cooking a meal that has made a lot of smoke, etc. Then I return it to the medium setting. I am just thrilled that I found this purifier and have no doubt it will be working for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will keep updating, October 2, 2012
This review is from: Oreck Dual Max Air Purifier (Misc.)
5 stars because its beautiful and easy to plug in. My allergies are gone and boy does this thing suck the dirt out of the air. You can tell that even the tiniest particles are being filtered out. Works IF* you dont have an arc protector circuit in your bedroom. The ALCI interrupter will have to be bypassed with a surge protector strip, which is what I did and it works fine. Low speed it is quiet. High speed, it is LOUD. Will update how my allergies and 4 am sneezing reacts to this puppy being in the room. Love the fact that the filter is permanent, and has such a large cleaning surface area on the cell.

**** been a few days now. My sneezing at 5 am is gone!!! It was back last night, when I realized my bedroom door was completely open, and closed it... perfect. My sinuses open up every time im in my room, and I cannot recommend this more. So glad I chose this over replaceable filter ones. So easy to clean. Simple to put back.

I have been telling my parents to get one, and have told my brother to get one as well. Just cant believe what a ionic filter can actually accomplish.
6 Stars.

*UPDATE FEB 2014: Item still working great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy it it really works, December 1, 2013
This review is from: Oreck Dual Max Air Purifier (Misc.)
First night sincerely what a difference. I LOST MOST OF MY LEFT LUNG BEING A 30 YEAR FIREFIEGHTER AND BREATHING AT NIGHT IS VERY DIFFICULT. USED TO GET HEADACHES AND NOW 7 DAYS INTO THIS I HAVE TO ADMIT THIS UNIT HAS REALLY HELPED ME SLEEP

4.0 out of 5 stars Great air purifier., December 20, 2012
This review is from: Oreck Dual Max Air Purifier (Misc.)
The first day I got this product the air in my entire house felt less 'stuffy'. I use it in my room to combat the smell of my chinchillas, and it works perfectly. It's super easy to clean and works like a charm, why not buy it? Only negative, and it is a small negative, is that the machine is only quite on the 'low' and 'medium' settings; once you place it on the 'high' setting it gets pretty loud. Yet, you really only need to turn it on 'high' when there is a strong smell or a lot of dust in the air; in those cases the purifier cleans the air in a few minutes and you can lower it back to 'medium'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, June 18, 2012
This review is from: Oreck Dual Max Air Purifier (Misc.)
Air is cleaner, operates almost completely silent. No need for costly replacement filters. I received my order in 2 days

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful unit!, September 27, 2013
This review is from: Oreck Dual Max Air Purifier (Misc.)
Unit immediately made a difference in the room. Easy to clean- love not needing to get filters! I am very pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars Air Purifier, June 2, 2013
This review is from: Oreck Dual Max Air Purifier (Misc.)
Works great. A little hard to clean and somewhat noisy but does a great job. Have two of them. Would buy again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review Dual Max Air Purifier, October 29, 2013
This review is from: Oreck Dual Max Air Purifier (Misc.)
I bought a refurbished model on Woot a while back (more than a year ago) and have struggled to get it fully functional. I washed the electrostatic dust collecting panels using water & dish soap, but it failed to "really" clean the panels. There remained a black residue that, while I was unsure as to its nature (it could be not worth removing), I suspected it reduced the efficiency of the unit. I then bought the Oreck branded "Assail-a-cell" cleaner, but found it too had issues with getting the panels as clean as I wanted (plus it was waaay expensive). Then I used a cotton swab + isopropyl alcohol combination to achieve the clean I wanted (the black residue largely removed) but using the swabs left fibers in the cell (in violation of my now lapsed warranty) and caused the Truman Cell to not "reset" without excessive effort.
After research on commercial electrostatic panel maintenance, I found that those manufacturers recommended a mildly alkaline, aqueous cleaner to clean those commercial panels. After additional searching, I found that Simple Green is mildly alkaline and water based (+ non-toxic). Using it to clean the panels has gotten them as clean as they were when new. This is a super easy, cost effective regimen that I can use to get the most out of my system. Please read your warranty to determine if this may cause a violation of your warranty before employing, but if you are beyond your warranty period and want to get an easy clean consider this solution. Note, the SG instructions recommend good ventilation and I concur.

In closing, it is noisy on it highest setting (I call it the "when I am at work" setting, but the slower modes work too) and is bright blue on the lamp highest setting as well (easy to dim). If you keep the panels clean expect a lot of dust to be pulled from your air.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some reviews were not so good on this unit, August 23, 2014
This review is from: Oreck Dual Max Air Purifier (Misc.)
Some reviews were not so good on this unit. I like it! It works just as I wanted and all of the negatives others reported I did not experiance.

Oreck Dual Max Air Purifier