5.0 out of 5 stars Best vacuum cleaner I have owned
I was always a bit skeptical of Oreck with their bowling ball commercial. I was given a chance to try out the Oreck Magnesium and didn't know what to expect. I find myself pleasantly surprised.

Published on June 5, 2012 by Quoad Toad

3.0 out of 5 stars Good performance, high price, annual maintenance cost.
I had always shied away from Orecks in the past. I have friends who absolutely adore them, but as they explained their experience with Oreck I was always unsure it was a good idea for me to buy an Oreck for myself.

Why?

Well, there are two reasons really.
Published on June 8, 2012 by Just Trying to Help

5.0 out of 5 stars Best vacuum cleaner I have owned, June 5, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

First, the Magnesium is very light. The cord almost feels heavier than the entire vacuum cleaner itself. Set up took less than a minute. The Magnesium comes almost assembled - you just have to attached the handle, which doesn't require tools and takes a couple seconds.

The rest of the construction feels solid, apart from the plastic tube near the back. I wish that was made of the same material as the handle. The bag and zipper parts also feel well made. I never owned a bagged vacuum cleaner before, but Oreck's bagged system actually works well. The bag seals itself, so there's no mess (unlike with my bagless cleaner that ends up spreading dust around when I dump it out). I'm also a sucker for the electric blue accent color of the bag portion.

As for cleaning, the Magnesium is excellent. It cleans much better than my clunky Bissel bagless. I have a dog whose fur gets all over my floors and the Magnesium sucks it up without pushing it around. I have both hardwood and carpeted floors. I have had an especially difficult time vacuuming my hardwood floors in the past. The Magnesium actually picks up the fur though. My hardwood floors no longer have a fine coat of dog fur. The Magnesium also does well on carpet. There is no need to change settings when going from hardwood to carpet.

This vacuum cleaner also feels powerful. It almost propels itself along the floor. I can push it along my hardwood floors with just the slightest tap. It feels like it wants to "take off." It is smart enough to auto shut off if something gets stuck. I have a bad habit of vacuuming over things, like blankets accidentally tossed on the floor. If something gets caught, it automatically shuts off and the item can be easily removed.

The Magnesium doesn't have any attachments, but that allows it be flexible in other areas. You can lower the handle down all the way to the floor. The vacuum cleaner is thin enough that it can fit completely underneath my bed.

Overall, I love the Magnesium. Yes, you'll have to buy a hand held or canister vacuum cleaner since the Magnesium doesn't have attachments. However, the Oreck does what it's supposed to do exceedingly well. It's agile and I enjoy vacuuming with it. I hope to keep it for many years to come.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good performance, high price, annual maintenance cost., June 8, 2012

Why?

Well, there are two reasons really.
1) Regular maintenance despite a higher cost up front. Orecks cost more than most other vacuums as a rule. But once you pay the premium price, you have to take it to an Oreck service center annually to replace motor parts, gaskets, and belts. This is not the case with any other vacuum brand that I am aware of. Of course, my friends had their Oreck vacuum for years and years, but over the lifetime of the vacuum they continued to shell out money on something they already purchased.
2) Orecks are never rated very highly by Consumer Reports. I've never seen any Oreck model in the top ten vacuums in independent testing of 50 vacuums.

Now, my Oreck fanboy friends never like it when I point out those two little details. People who like Orecks, really like them. So I may be somewhat unpopular for letting that cat out of the... um... vacuum bag.

But let's be honest, I don't buy things just because a magazine told me it was the best. And it's very possible that this vacuum may be perfect for me regardless of these two details above. There must be a reason so many other people love Orecks, and I was ready to find out if I would become a convert!

Just for reference, the last vacuum I bought was a Hoover Platinum Lightweight Upright Vacuum with Canister, Bagged, UH30010COM. This vacuum is a close match for the Oreck in basic function and design. The Hoover Platinum also has a hose-less design where the air goes up the "backbone" of the vacuum, just like the Oreck Magnesium. And, depending on the prices at any given time, you can buy 2 of the Hoovers for the price of 1 Oreck. I bought the Hoover because it had performed so well in the independent testing done by certain magazines, and the Hoover met my expectations (for its price) in actual use.

I feel that if you are considering an Oreck you should consider the Hoover Platinum as the lesser price competitor as the basic design is almost the same.

Oreck Magnesium Performance:
I have to say I was pleased with the Oreck.
1) It is amazingly light. The Hoover Platinum is 12 lbs, and the Oreck weighs in at almost 8 lbs. It feels like nothing in your hand, and vacuuming is effortless. But don't try to vacuum quickly, its so light that there is nothing keeping the vacuum head on the ground at the end of the stroke. Slow and steady wins the race with the Oreck Magnesium.
2) The Oreck proved to have adequate suction, although sometimes I felt that the lightness of the action made the operation of the vacuum feel too insubstantial. I tried vacuuming white dog hair off a black rug (talk about contrast!) and it sucked up *almost* all the dog hair on the first pass, every time.
3) It restored the nap on my rug better than the Hoover.
4) The advertised ability to lie almost flat is a true benefit, and my 8 year old daughter was able to vacuum under a low coffee table easily.
5) The large wheels did make transitions from slate tile to rug and back very effortless.

Overall the Oreck does an admirable job as a vacuum, and its certainly easy to use, much easier than any other vacuum that I've owned.

What you give up: the lighter weight is largely from the lack of a removable hose that can be used to get trouble spots. This vacuum is not for corners and certainly could not be used on stairs.

To solve this problem you would want to buy a combo of an upright vac and a canister vac. Oreck sells a bundle with a cannister for that purpose. The Hoover Platinum also sells an upright+cannister combo. You can buy 2 Hoover platinums with canister for the price of one Oreck with Cannister, and have money left over. Since it costs double, you would expect double performance. But you don't get double performance, the Hoover seems to work as well or better when I compare the two. And if you throw in the cost of Oreck's recommended Annual Maintenance, then I feel the Oreck is not a very good value, and the lower weight comes at a huge premium in price.

So what about the maintenance? Well, when I went to Oreck's website, they boasted that if you buy the Magnesium from them, they will include 3 annual tune ups. So, I guess the Magnesium requires annual maintenance like the rest of the Orecks. I was unable to find any information about the annual maintenance online, other than the fact that it is, indeed, included when you buy from Oreck. I wish this information were better represented on the Amazon product page or on Oreck's website, but, it is not. To find out more about what this requires, and what it costs, I called the local Oreck service center. I was promptly told that the Magnesium requires an annual service, which takes about a week, and costs $40. You can prepay for 3 years of service for $60. (At least thats out in the open now!) They replace some parts in the motor every year, check the belt, and clean it up. if you buy your vacuum from Oreck, it will come with the 3 years of service. On a lark I called Dyson's toll free number and asked them if they even recommend an annual service for their vacuums. They don't. Even the Roomba robot vacuum doesn't require annual service, and its the most complex vacuum I know of.

Imagine if we lived in a world where your dishwasher had a required annual service of $40. Or your ceiling fan (or any fan in your house) needed to go to the shop for one week annually at any price. You simply wouldn't stand for it. And yet, for Oreck, its a fact of life.

One must assume that failing to replace the motor brushes means that performance will worsen quickly, otherwise they wouldn't tell you to do it. So, thats not so good.

I'm not very happy with the warranty at all. A list of my "Warranty blues":
1) The 7 year warranty is only in effect if you buy the vacuum from Oreck or from an Oreck Authorized Reseller. The manual is very clear that if you do not buy from the right people your new vacuum is sold "as is" with no warranty. So are all those sellers on Amazon "Authorized" or not? I guess thats up to you to check.
2) To keep the warranty you have to do the annual maintenance. The required annual maintenance will cost you over $120 to $180 during this time period, too, depending on whether you got 3 years free when you bought it. Its ironic to note that the warranty is sold in 3 year increments but the warranty is for 7 years, making you re-up your service contract just before the warranty is out. (I derive this from the fact that the Warranty is void if you abuse the vacuum, and neglecting the required maintenance is the most common form of abuse for any product).
3) The warranty is void if you use the vacuum for commercial use (for your office or if you run a cleaning service).
4) If you are still eligible for the warranty all it does is replace the defective part. You will not get a new vacuum. So I tend to feel that the warranty is not financially equitable.
The warranty is not a selling point to me because of cost of the required service and caveats therein.

In the end I give the magnesium 3 stars. I think that the vacuum performs well and I love the light weight. As far as the "out of the box" performance I would give it 4 stars. I have had other vacuums with more suction, so I can't give it my best rating for performance.

But I am really put off by 1) the required maintenance and 2) the flimsy warranty. Its conceivable that whatever you spend on this vacuum today, you should plan on spending an additional 50% of that over the lifetime of the vacuum. I feel like thats a hidden cost. And the required annual service isn't even mentioned on the Amazon product page! I'm very displeased with that fact.

I had been hoping that the Magnesium would require less service, but it seems to be a permanent part of the Oreck business (profit) strategy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Important Aspects To Consider, March 11, 2013
This review is from: Oreck Magnesium Bagged Upright Vacuum, LW100 (Misc.)
First, some quick background info.
I did quite a bit of research prior to this purchase. I own a 20 year old home in need of new carpet so, we decided to go with a high quality carpet; Mohawk SmartStrand Silk. This carpet is an average length cut yet super dense pile and it is a darn good thing that I asked our salesperson what vacuum was recommended. He gave me a certain model of Oreck vacuum.

Prior to this I was looking into a Rainbow vacuum because I always wanted one but, I am glad I decided against it because a Rainbow vacuum requires some minor cleaning after each use, and my wife and I did not want the extra work. Secondly, I was considering a Miele because of the superior engineering and the quiet/easy operation. But, I began to consider an Oreck after it was recommended by our local flooring company that has a long standing positive reputation in our community of about a quarter million population.

The local Tarjay has the Oreck Magnesium for sale and I had been thinking about what it might be like to own a vacuum that weighed so little.

After our carpet was installed I ran our Hoover WindTunnel (we have model UH70105) over the new carpet and I could barely push or pull the vacuum !!!
I made sure it was on the Highest setting! Still, the new carpet proved to be too thick for the vacuum. Consider also that this carpet is an average length (aprox 5/8 inch tall), it is both the thickness of each carpet strand and the density of strands per square inch that make this carpet very tough on the wrong vacuum.

Right then and there I decided on the Oreck and it proved to be the perfect vacuum for this carpet. I must also point out that this is by far the very best vacuum that I have ever used on flat hard surface floors. The rest of our home has ceramic tile and new type of synthetic hardwood flooring (vinyl like material).

This Oreck has two speeds, fast for carpet and slow for hard surface. The slow speed uses a slower rotation of the brushes without spewing the dirt out of the suction area. The vacuum does not allow the suction area to “stick” to the flat floor like most vacuum hard surface attachments! Somehow this design uses the exact combination of brush speed and suction as to allow instant pick up on the flat surface. Since the base rolls over the floor smoothly, there can be no possibility of scratching or marking your hard flooring with an attachment that rides directly on the floor surface...an ingenious idea taken for granted by most vacuum manufacturers.

Most reviewers will state that this vacuum is very easy to use, as if it pulls itself across the carpet. Our carpet is so dense that we need a very lightweight machine so that vacuuming does not become so difficult that we do not want to do it.

The Oreck Magnesium is so light that you will find that your floors stay cleaner due to the fact that it is so easy to use you will actually vacuum more, not less! This is our experience and one of the main reasons why we are so happy with this purchase. My wife likes to vacuum and I just made that job enjoyable, and the house gets vacuumed way more often than it did with our old carpet and our old Hoover...which is a beast btw!

This vacuum uses a bag system that has a bag material that is superior to other vacuum cleaner bags on the market. The bag is virtually dust free, it is almost cloth-like as it is a true HEPA filter bag. WAY cleaner than the wind tunnel design as they emit all sorts of dust when being emptied. The wind tunnel needs to be emptied perhaps 5 to 7 times before you need to change bags on your Oreck.

The true drawback to this Oreck is that it has no hose therefore, you cannot clean window sills or baseboards with it. For us the pro’s far outweigh the con’s.

For the other vacuuming around the house I would actually recommend a small shop vac, with one caveat: Get a shop vac that you can put a vacuum cleaner bag in--this is a trick of the trade that will keep your shop vac dust free as shop vac’s are notorious for leaking dust and clogging up (loosing suction) particularly when sucking up drywall or cement dust. Yet, a shop vac with a bag inside it will provide superior suction (about twice the suction power of any consumer vacuum) without clogging, for the places inside the home where dust collects and they can be outfitted with fantastic attachments and extension pieces. Not to mention the benefits of using it for heavy duty and wet work (remove the bag for wet work).

In summary, the Oreck Magnesium vacuum is superior for those consumers who are looking for a design that makes vacuuming easy and works extremely well on all piles of carpet as well as superior performance on hard surface flooring where you want to avoid abrasion from the equipment. Also, the unit has a low profile and can roll under bed frames as you can actually vacuum when the handle is in the horizontal position--carpet or hard surface !!

It is my contention that the unit is so lightweight that you will actually maintain a cleaner house because you will NOT be reluctant to use it more often than usual.

One years use of this vacuum could be the equivalent of three years of another brand, it is truly that easy to use. So far, we have used this machine at least twice as much within a three month time frame as was used our Hoover WindTunnel.

As for the warranty warnings stated in another review I will only say this...it is a non issue as this is not a unit that one spends so much money on that you need to take in for servicing to insure you get your moneys worth. If you get merely three years out of this vacuum, you have more than paid for it!

If the Oreck Magnesium were made of carbon fiber, titanium, tungsten, kevlar or equivalent materials and were it machined to exact tolerances where I could get decades of life out of it, I would not hesitate to pay over a thousand dollars for it--just for the superior design alone (materials and machining notwithstanding). The only design improvement I could think of that would make it even easier to use is a ball pivot at the base where the handle-bag assembly meets the motor-brush assembly. It is obvious to me why Oreck chose not to include this as it would make the cost increase out of the target price, which I think is very reasonable making this vacuum an intelligent frugal purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars There are things to like about this vacuum... and things not to like..., May 22, 2012
Positive impressions:

1. It is very light and easy to push around the carpet, thus making it easier to vacuum larger rooms without issue. This will be a good unit for people with physical limitations.
2. The beater seems very strong, so strong, in fact, that it almost seems to be self propelled. This could actually end up being a negative, as you might not spend enough time vacuuming.
3. You can lean the vacuum down flat and it can get under furniture that most other vacuum cleaners can't.
4. It has a fairly long cord, allowing you to clean more carpet without unplugging and moving the cord.

Negative impressions:

1. No hand tools at all. You will need something other than this if you want to clean couches, tight corners, curtains, etc.
2. The cord is about 8 feet shorter than the cord on the Dyson vacuum that I have.
3. Uses bags instead of canister. The bags will add up over time and will add to the price of the vacuum.
4. Does not vacuum even nearly as well as the Dyson DC07 that I have had for many years.

My testing involved vacuuming a large room where our dog plays that had not been vacuumed in a month. I vacuumed the floor VERY slowly and carefully with the Oreck first. I vacuumed up/down, then right/left, with overlapping patterns. My test involved cleaning the floor slowly in each direction to get the maximum coverage and suction possible. After finishing the room with the Oreck, I vacuumed again with a Dyson DC07. The Dyson picked up a whole lot of dog hair and other smaller (dusty/powdery) material from the carpet. It picked up so much that I checked the Oreck to make sure that it was actually sucking up dirt; it was.

There are certainly things to like about the new Oreck Magnesium, but the sole purpose of a vacuum cleaner is to clean your carpet and this one does not perform as well as it should on moderately thick carpet. The price is entirely too high for this cleaner and I would not recommend it unless you really need a lightweight vacuum.

I am giving this vacuum a three-star rating because of the weight, as I believe that it will be a good choice for people who have physical limitations that make it difficult to use a heavier vacuum cleaner. Other than those who need a lighter cleaner, I cannot really recommend the Oreck Magnesium. It hurts to say this, as I had an Oreck before and it was a monster of a cleaner, this one just doesn't measure up.

5.0 out of 5 stars lightweight and powerful, May 16, 2012
This review is from: Oreck Magnesium Bagged Upright Vacuum, LW100 (Misc.)
I haven't stopped vacuming since I purchased the new Oreck Magnesium 3 weeks ago. I have only had two vacumn cleaners in my 70 years of life. Now I wanted something lightweight, easy to store (for when I move to a condo), yet powerful to do a job that a perfectionist like me would be satisfied with. I shopped online at Oreck and in stores looking at different brands. I narrowed it down to two vacumn cleaners and took both home. The Oreck MAGNESIUM won hands down. My 20 year old carpet feels new again. I am totally amazed. There are only two negatives...louder than I am used to, and the sides do not clean as well. Otherwise, this is a winner.

1.0 out of 5 stars Had to take it back, my friend took hers back too, February 14, 2014
This review is from: Oreck Magnesium Bagged Upright Vacuum, LW100 (Misc.)
At first I LOVED the Magnesium, so light, so easy to use, I would vacuum more often just because it was fun. I let my friend use it, she loved it, bought one for herself and then hers broke in the first week of use. Mine never did do well on flat floors - just blew the breakfast cereal out the back instead of picking it up - even on the low setting. Then it clogged with dirt somewhere between the base and the top of the bag, a place I couldn't see even after taking as much of the clog out that I could.

But that's not why I took it back…

I took it back and bought an Electrolux because the sales person at the Oreck store (where I took it for a 6 month turn up) explained to me how that "version" of the Magnesium wasn't powered enough to pick up flat floor dirt, it's good for shag carpet only. What the what? If it can't pick up oatmeal, how was it going to grab dirt out of a shag carpet? Are we to think that a fluffy carpet equals clean? He explained it again in tiny, little terms so that my pea brain could understand that it wasn't the fault of the sweeper that it was underpowered and didn't work, it was the fault of the Sears sales person who should have sold me a higher version of the Magnesium that had 10% more power. What the what? Isn't this the company that power branded itself by sucking up bowling balls? Why destroy our brand with bad performance? I bought my first Oreck 13 years ago and loved it. This version can't do what my hand held car vacuum can do.

BTW, I had vacuumed the floor with the Magnesium before I left for Sears. When I came back, I vacuumed THE SAME CARPET and sucked up 1.5 cups of dirt. I measured it to make the point. You get what you pay dearly for, a lightweight sweeper than can't perform its prime function. Buyer beware.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money, July 2, 2013
This review is from: Oreck Magnesium Bagged Upright Vacuum, LW100 (Misc.)
If I didn't know this was an Oreck, I wouldn't have believed it. It is light and easy to use and that's all that's good about it.
I have only owned it a little over 6 months and the first problem I had was the cord clasp at the top. It does NOT hold the cord. I actually use a twist tie to keep it in place. Okay, I can live with that. While using the vacuum, the belt beneath the head snapped. I went to my owners manual and found out that they call this belt an "Endurolife" belt which NEVER has to be replaced. Really? What kind of magic belt is this? I called two vacuum shops in my area, both of whom said that of course the belt breaks. Only one of them had the Oreck tool needed to replace this belt. (The other said they use a needle nosed plier because the tool from Oreck costs over $150.00). Anyway, as the closest Oreck Center to me is an hour and one state away, I called Oreck customer service who basically said that's too bad, and I took the vacuum to the local shop who had the tool. At a cost of $45.00 they changed the belt. On top of the $329.00 that I paid for the vacuum only 6 months prior, I was not happy. I wrote to the Oreck Corporate Office and described everything in detail. I got a letter back saying that the repair would have been free had I taken it to an Oreck Center. Did they even read my letter? They said that they value me as an Oreck family member and were sending me some bags. Enough said. I only bought this thing to use on bare floors, it does not perform even close to a regular Oreck XL or other vacuums on carpet, I should have just saved a lot of money and bought a stick vac instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, December 25, 2012
This review is from: Oreck Magnesium Bagged Upright Vacuum, LW100 (Misc.)
Best I've ever gotten. So light too. I would recommend this for anyone. I m ow a true Oreck user.

2.0 out of 5 stars Skid Marks, December 17, 2013
Amazon Customer (Richmond, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oreck Magnesium Bagged Upright Vacuum, LW100 (Misc.)
Great suction, light weight and maneuverable, but.....
If you have any white baseboard trim, be prepared to have to clean the trim after your vacuum. Why? If the black rubber material of the Oreck Magnesium hits or brushes against the trim, you will be left with black skid marks. Yes, I said black skid marks. Kinda like the marks your tires leave on a concrete curb when you park too close to the sidewalk. Due to that issue and there being no after market product the I can add to the base of the vacuum to address the issue, I would not recommend buying the Magnesium. Cleaning your baseboard every time you have to vacuum your carpet is totally unacceptable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Former Dyson fan, November 4, 2012
This review is from: Oreck Magnesium Bagged Upright Vacuum, LW100 (Misc.)
I recently bought this after my Dyson fizzled . I was heartbroken and tried to fix it and decided to move on after I spent $$ to fix it and it lost suction a few weeks after that. I was nervous about going back to a bag with this Oreck. I am pleased to say I am so very happy with this vacuum! It's lightweight, easy to use, and works really well. The brush bar is magnetic so stray paperclips ( I am a teacher)are easily found before they wreak havoc in the machine.my machine came with a second small hose vacuum for the stairs/car. Even my preteen children like to use it. I haven't had to change the bag yet, but it looks easy. I don't usually write reviews, but had to give s thumbs up for this one.

Oreck Magnesium Bagged Upright Vacuum, LW100