5.0 out of 5 stars Wow this thing is light!
Published 19 months ago by Howard

3.0 out of 5 stars Many Fine Features but Two Major Drawbacks
I was eager to evaluate this new model, but I found several things that lead me to subtract stars.

First, the positive aspects:
* It is lightweight and easy to handle.
* It easily makes the transition from carpet to hardwood floors and does not scratch the wood surface.
* The edge brushes are convenient and save time from having to manually...
Published 8 months ago by Lizz A. Belle

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow this thing is light!, May 21, 2013
This review is from: Oreck Magnesium RS Swivel-Steering Bagged Upright Vacuum, LW1500RS (Misc.)
Picked the Oreck Magnesium RS up last week directly from Orecks website during one of their 30% off sales. Also I just adopted a Shiba Inu dog and I plan on having a lot more dog hair around the house. I had always been interested in the Oreck Vacuums but I usually stuck with Dysons (which I have also). Anyways I decided to go with the Magnesium RS mainly because of the swivel head, but also because it was the 3rd iteration of the magnesium line so it had the latest updates (Swivel head, horse hair side brushes and wireless power switch) and I'm assuming they worked out any kinks/issues they found in the previous two versions.

The order process was quick and actually got the vacuum 3 days after I ordered it. (small beef) it came in just a shipping box, I would of preferred it came in an Oreck vacuum box and then packaged in an outer box. It was raining that day and when I got home from work the box was soaked and a little dinged up, luckily the Oreck managed to stay dry and was not damaged.

I quickly assembled the Oreck which took less then 2 minutes and proceeded to test it out. I brought it into the living room first (holy smokes this thing is light) I'm used to lugging around a 20+ pound Dyson. I turned on the vacuum and started vacuuming the rug. (this model has this new wireless power switch, from what I read it works like a remote control so there is no wires connecting the handle with the power switch to the motor, will see how reliable that is.) I went over the rug a few times, one of my favorite parts was being able to clean under the coffee table, you can get this vacuum to lay completely flat while still pushing it. I had no problems easily maneuvering around my 5x8 rug and under the coffee table.

Next I put it on low and went over the hardwood floor, didn't really get much of a sense of cleaning here since the floors were pretty clean. Lastly I took it to the basement which is full carpet and did a quick pass, again very easy to move around the carpet and looked like it did a good job grooming the carpet.

So now just a few other things of note:

This vacuum comes with a 7 year warranty, which to me equals about $150ish on most other electronics, so I feel pretty comfortable that if Oreck offers such a long warranty they believe in their product. It also includes 5 annual tunes up which is a nice addition. I've never actually taken a vacuum for a tune up before, but I'm assuming its like taking your car for an oil change, just make sure everything is still in optimal working condition.

I can't remember the last time I had to purchase bags for a vacuum, a 6 pack of HEPA bags for this vacuum run about $15, and I'm guessing depending how often you clean you may use 1 bag every 2 months, so you need to figure your going to at least be spending extra money on bags. Also I haven't actually determined how to tell if the bag is full yet, (I guess 1 benefit of the bagless ones, you could easily tell when the dustbin was full).

Ok so no attachments on this vacuum, I've read a lot of poor reviews of the hand held Orecks so I didn't get one, when I need to to clean the cobwebs or something from a corner, I will still be relying on my trusty Dyson.

Now the scary part though, 2 days after I ordered the vacuum I saw Oreck filed for chapter 11. Hopefully they find a buyer quick and all is well, but it does make me a bit nervous, if god forbid they end up going out of business, I'm assuming my warranty would be worthless, and obviously finding replacement bags could start to become an issue.

In summary, while this is an expensive vacuum it does a good job and comes with a great warranty, but you should "NOT" pay anywhere close to full price for it. For now I'm going to give this vacuum 5 stars because short of the bankruptcy concern it hasn't shown me any reason (in its cleaning ability) to give it anything less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Vacuum Hands Down, December 24, 2012
This vacuum sucks up everything including the hard to get pine needles. We have hardwood floors and used to have a Shark. It was terrible on hardwood floors. It would not pick up all the dirt unless the brushes were on, but when the brushes were on it tended to fling the dirt instead of suck it. This vacuum sucks it all. I especially like the brush sensor that shuts off if the brushes if it sucks something it should not. You just pull it whet ever got sucked it right out. It does not tangle in the brushes. It is very light and very easy to move around. You can back it go flat to get down on the hard to reach places. The big wheels are nice also as we have hand scraped wood floors and the old vacuum would rumble over the floors. The big wheels allow for a very smooth vacuum. I cannot say enough good things about it. Don't waste your money on the expensive Dyson's. All the attachments those have just make for weakened suction. We got the Oreck® Ultimate Handheld for vacuuming the things we needed attachments for and this does an equally as nice a job. For the two items I am still cheaper then a Dyson. I only wish this Oreck was made in the USA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for thick deep carpets, April 24, 2013
Danny Creech "RetiredDan" (Ventura, CA United States) - See all my reviews
We just had new frieze carpet installed. It is very thick, deep carpet and our old vac that we both liked, would not adjust high enough to push thru this carpet. We looked and tested different companies vacuums to see how well their vacuum cleaners worked on a piece of test carpet we took with us and the Oreck was one of the few that would roll comfortibaly on our carpet. It also has great deep cleaning power. We purchased it from our local Oreck dealer and are very happy with this vacuum cleaner.

5.0 out of 5 stars This vacuum really sucks, and that is GREAT!, March 30, 2014
Length:: 1:05 Mins

The Oreck Magnesium is by far the best vacuum I have ever tried. Don't believe me, check out my video. I compared it to my Dyson DC17 and the Bissell Power Clean Rewind. The Oreck was able to do the job the other two vacuums could not do. It is so lightweight and able to reach those hard to reach spots since it can lay flat and swivel with ease. Since it is lightweight there are some benefits you have to give up like attachments or bagless option. The less it has, the lighter it can be. The on/off switch is conveniently located on the top of the handle, and you can also chose to use high or low settings.

Works on any surface, from hardwood floors, slate tiles to high carpet. It feels like it just glides all by itself as if it was self propelling. The suction power is incredible to say the least. I actually believed nothing compared to a Dyson, well Oreck has proven me wrong. No need to be going over the same area repeatedly anymore, now one pass will usually do the job.

Did you know you can get a yearly FREE tune-up for your Oreck for 5 years which includes replacement of belts, cleaning and an overall "physical" of your vacuum. Also comes with a 7-year warranty.

The replacement vacuum bags are not inexpensive, but they are HEPA filtered bags. I ordered my bags through EZVacuum.com which accepts Amazon payments and is listed on the Oreck Magnesium RS main page in the bottom section under "Products From External Websites". You can get a 6-pack of bags for $25.99.

3.0 out of 5 stars Many Fine Features but Two Major Drawbacks, April 16, 2014

First, the positive aspects:
* It is lightweight and easy to handle.
* The edge brushes are convenient and save time from having to manually gather dust along the base boards.
* The swivel feature makes vacuuming near furniture a breeze.
* The HEPA filter bag captures dust so it doesn't get expelled back into the room. (Bags are available from Amazon).
* The original packing box is strong and parts are easy to assemble with simple written and pictorial instructions.

Now for the two major drawbacks:
* I have a dense area rug in my living room and the vacuum shuts off after 10-15 seconds; this is a protective feature for the motor. (The instruction guide mentions this problem among trouble-shooting issues.) However, I now must use my old upright for just one room.
* There are no attachments for vacuuming furniture, drapes, etc., which again requires a second vacuum to handle these items.

Overall, the performance was satisfactory, but for a high-end vacuum at this price I would like to have an all-purpose machine. I now have two upright vacuums plus a small hand-held vacuum...seems redundant.

Addendum on April 21: I neglected to mention that the machine lies flat allowing easy access under tables and some furniture; this is a real plus. Two minor issues to note: The placement of the power switch on the handle has resulted in accidentally turning off the machine while vacuuming on several occasions. The lamp on the vacuum head is rather weak and thus, doesn't really illuminate the carpet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oreck Magnesium RS, January 31, 2014
I wanted a "light-weight" vacuum and had heard about the "Oreck". I couldn't find one in any local store or outlet to look at so I decided to order from Amazon. I ordered the "Oreck Magnesium RS" on 12/31/13 and received said item in 10 days. It was all I could ask for,.....weight (can lift with one hand).....it picks up great on both carpet and hardwood....easy to maneuver......It's just great to use. My previous vacuum was a Hoover "Wind Tunnel" and very heavy. Now I breeze through the house, and enjoy every minute. Thanks Oreck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pound for Pound Performance Can Not be Beat, April 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This Oreck is indeed extremely lightweight at 7.7 pounds and I can’t believe how much easier it is to vacuum with something this lightweight without sacrificing much suction power. Yes, it has a little bit less suction than some of the powerhouse beasts; however, that is the opportunity cost of a lightweight vacuum and unless you have thick pile or shag carpet you should be okay and this is phenomenal on hardwood floors and tiles.

I have a three-story home with multiple (carpet, hardwood, laminate, tile (granite and ceramic) floor surfaces and this works well on all of them, and on many of the hard surfaces the lower of the two speed settings is adequate. To put this in perspective, at under 8 pounds this is comparable in weight to handheld portable vacuums so a full size vacuum, with this power, at this weight is a remarkable feet of engineering and design. This lightweight is great for folks a little more advanced in age, anyone with physical challenges or heck anyone who just enjoys the comfort and ease of not having to lug around a heavy vacuum cleaner.

I had it out of the box and assembled in three minutes. I am impressed at the height of the handle. I am 6’4” and constantly find myself hunched over when using any vacuum and that is not the case at all with this vacuum as I can hold and maneuver this vacuum with ease. Yes, the vacuum does adjust down (great for getting under tough furniture).

The power button is on the handle rather than the base of the vacuum and that is very convenient for me and a simple thing I had never thought of before. It has a battery in the handle (a CR2032 that is a button cell that is used in many cameras and car alarm remotes) that is easy to find in store and easy replace (it lets you use a quarter as screwdriver to open the compartment) when the time comes and it is readily available and cheap at most big box stores. This battery lets the power button as well the two buttons which control the two speeds on the handle communicate electronically with the base to turn the motor on and off. It operates like a wireless remote.

I love that I can store this under a bed when not in use and not take up closet space. It is easy to navigate and the swivel head works great. The tiny little side brushes look like big eyelashes but are great for taking out dust and cobwebs in corners. I also love that this has a more than adequate, 30 foot, length cord that is still easy to maneuver (the cord does not weigh as much as other cords). I hate having to constantly unplug and replug a vacuum cleaner as I change rooms or move down a hallway and this Oreck solves that problem.

I am a little obsessive about being able to adjust the settings on a vacuum to how close it is to the carpet and while this vacuum does not have that feature, this Oreck does a nice job of self-adjusting. The manual says to use the lower of the two settings for hardwood floors and I did that and it worked fine. Since I am a rebel I also tried the faster setting and had no trouble with scuffing on wood floors. This vacuum is outstanding on hardwood/laminate floors! I have been looking for the right balance in a vacuum cleaner for that purpose. The big bulkier vacuums are overkill and the Swifters of the world are expensive and the smaller portable vacuums all seem to lose power after just a couple of months. This machine does the trick perfectly and is so easy to maneuver.

If carpet or area rugs get jammed in the Oreck it has a shut off feature to protect the vacuum (and the carpet). The outer blue bag gives you ample space to unzip and remove the old inner bag to dispose without having to force it out and get dust all over the place.

The manual is adequate and while it does not go into great detail, it is a vacuum cleaner and it is not all that complicated to vacuum. The product is more about advanced engineering and product design anyway than about lots of bells and whistles and control. There are just two speed controls and a power button so a long manual is not needed.

I love how you can get under furniture with this so easily and the HEPA filter is a nice selling point. In terms of aesthetics, I love the bold blue color and high quality of the outside bag.

I love the 7 year warranty and the fact that they allow you to bring it to an Oreck dealer for a free tune up (including belts) once a year for a five-year period. If you follow the news Oreck is in a bit of financial difficulty and the company will likely change hands or be restructured so hopefully the warranty/tuneup is honored as they have a lot of value in helping to defray some of the original costs of investing in such an expensive vacuum cleaner. This is not the first generation of the Magnesium product and it is fairly established with not all that many moving parts (considering it is a vacuum cleaner) so one would think this should hold up to the test of time.

The inner bag is a proprietary Oreck product that can only be replaced via Oreck or one of their retailers; I wish it was more of a standard type bag that could be found at big box stores as these bags are fairly expensive but they do have the HEPA filter and they can be ordered in bulk for a discount.

It is a bit awkward to lower the vacuum from its upright position (it does not have the standard pedal on the back of the vacuum as many vacuums do to release it from its upright position). However, that just takes a little getting used to.

While the swivel head is a nice feature on solid ground it does make vacuuming stairs a bit tricky. It is also a bit of a smaller width than other vacuums so it might require a few more back and forth passes, however, this is well worth the tradeoff in weight and portability.

I would also like to have seen a couple of attachments, however, this vacuum is so maneuverable and designed for portability and simplicity so I don’t know that is that necessary in this case based on what this vacuum is designed to be. However, an upholstery, drape and crevice tool (even if it did not attach to the vacuum when not in use) would have been a nice touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic vacuum, October 30, 2013
I recently bought this vacuum from the Oreck store. I have had 2 other great Oreck vacuums but this is by far the best. It is light weight, easy to use on my new plush carpet and the swivel feature which I didn't think I needed is very useful. It goes under furniture and railings easily. I have 2 stories and 2 staircases to vacuum and this vacuum makes the job much easier to do. I have a German Shepherd and 2 cats and the vacuum picks up all the pet fur with no problem. The start button is now in a more convenient place and the plastic piece that holds the cord in place is doing its job - on the first Magnesium vacuum I had, the cord fell out frequently. I can't say enough good things about this vacuum. I hate to vacuum and this new vacuum makes life easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, December 6, 2013
This is the vacuum I've been looking for. I've been using an XL 2000 for 10 years or so, gave it to my son when I bought this one. This vacuum cleaner is incredibly light, and it does seem to be self-propelled. Its quiet, extremely easy to maneuver with the swivel action and picks up everything in my carpet and hard floors. Dog hair is no problem, it picks up better than my XL, which was great on it's own. I used to work up a sweat after 30 min. of vacuuming, but not with this one. Highly recommended, I hope it lasts as long as my previous Oreck.

4.0 out of 5 stars I am pleased, January 25, 2014
C. Fielding (Orange Park, Florida) - See all my reviews
The machine is extremely easy to navigate, it is very light in weight and easy to carry up/down stairs. Most importantly it quickly picks up dirt and does it very quietly.