Verified Purchase
If you are reading this, you are considering buying an Oreck Orbiter floor cleaning machine. I want to share my recent experience using this cleaning system.

The problem carpet in my house covers the family room and a short hallway to the kitchen, which includes a closet pantry. It is a white berber. The hallway builds up a lot of dirt, as it is high traffic. Additionally, we had stains around the pantry door where a bottle of apple juice had at one time spilled. The family room carpet had stains from spills, and as we raised four puppies, has had pet stains over the 19 years we have lived in this house.

We had tried many carpet cleaning solutions. All failed to clean the apple juice stains and the worst of the pet stains. None made the pathway dirt in the hall look more than a dismal gray color. Here is what we had tried:

1. A traditional professional steam cleaner. No effect at all on the juice or worst pet stains.
Little effect on the path dirt.
2. Sears Dry System for carpet cleaning. The results were the same as the steam cleaning.
3.A Bissel home steam cleaning upright unit. Once again, same results as 1 and 2.
4.The Rug Doctor steam cleaning unit (as a rental), which you have seen advertised on TV. Once again the worst pet stains and the juice stain remained. It did the best job on the pathway dirt, but did not eliminate it.
5. The Bissel Spot Bot, which uses brushes to scrub one small circular area at a time. It made progress on the pathway dirt, but again only to a gray color. It made no progress on the juice stains. Some of the pet stains got lighter after repeated usage, but were never completely removed. Sometimes this unit fails to actually pick up the dirty water it creates and just spreads out the stain rather than removing it.

Then we tried the Oreck Orbiter. It got the high traffic area more clean than it has been in MANY years, after only one pass. The juice stains were not completely eliminated, but were reduced to the point where you have to look for them to see them. Again, this was after only one try. I am confident that repeated usages, especially if we use the brush attachment, will remove them completely. The tough pet stains were cleaned up entirely. These are stains that had resisted FIVE other cleaning systems, and they disappeared ... the first time! ... using this Orbiter and the carpet cleaning chemicals that Oreck sells to use with it.

I believe the difference is the orbiting action, along with Oreck's superior cleaning chemicals. You literally get dozens of cleaning passes over the trouble spot in the same time and effort that would provide one or two passes with the other cleaning machines. And unlike steam cleaning in particular, no stains have started to mysteriously reappear a few days later. I believe the reason for that is the cleaning methodology. You first spray the carpet lightly with a cleaning solution, and use a separate solution on tough stains. Then you spread a powder over the area to be cleaned. As you use the orbiter, the powder soaks up the dirt, and is in turn picked up by the fabric pad on the bottom of the orbiter. When the dirt is gone, its in the cleaning pad, not forced down through the fabric of the carpet into your carpet padding.

If you are considering a permanent carpet cleaning solution, this is a good choice. And it really isn't physically difficult to use. It is about the same effort as vacuuming, from my experience.

It is not particularly inexpensive. Eighty dollars in chemicals were required for two hallways and two large rooms. We did have some chemicals left over, possibly enough to do half of one of the large rooms. If you don't have problem stains or areas, you may do as well with less expensive alternatives.

However, this is the ONLY way I will ever clean my carpets from now on.

Carpet cleaning is of course not all this unit will do. Because of the orbiting action, it will clean hardwoods, tile, and linoleum too. You could probably get away with using it on smooth concrete, such as your garage or carport surface. I have not personally used it other than on carpet, but I will be doing so in the near future. I'll update this after.

I hope this has helped you in evaluating whether to purchase this unit for you own use. This review contains my actual experiences over 19 years of trying to keep my berber carpet clean. The first time you use it, you will experience the same results I enjoyed. This is possibly the most enthusiastic recommendation I have ever given a consumer product. And no, I am not affiliated with Oreck in any way. LOL I'm just pleased with how much cleaner my carpet is.

Update: Seven months and three cleanings later, I just get more and more happy with the performance of this tool. I just got through cleaning all the carpets in the house in preparation for a New Year's Eve party where we'll be having eight guests, some of whom may stay over in guest rooms. One of the guest rooms suffered from a leak that developed in the condensation catch pan under the air handler in the attic. The carpet had rust spots and overall just looked pretty disgusting. Before just scrapping it, I decided to try cleaning it. I got out every rust spot except for four tiny spots where the water had really settled in where the bedposts were pressing into the carpet. Since the bedposts are going right back on top of those four spots, I wasn't too unhappy. There was one rust colored stain which was about 4 inches wide and more than three feet long. It disappeared completely without much effort on my part.

I did try a new trick, as I knew these stains would be a challenge. Instead of the normal "tough stain spray", I used Spray and Wash. This turned out to work great. I also developed a technique for a really stubborn spot where I sort of turn the orbiter up on its edge a bit and walk in a circle around the stain to put some extra force on it from 360 degrees. That is also pretty effective.

I've started waiting a little longer than the instructions say before the final vacuum pass. I stay off the cleaned carpet, and let it completely dry. Then I vacuum it VERY thoroughly.

I had some really unattractive spill streaks and stains in the family room this time, and they completely disappeared just in the normal course of this cleaning. I did pre-spray them with the Spray and Wash, and let it sit on them for a few minutes before I used the normal prep spray and spread the powder.

I mentioned above that running the orbiter isn't a lot different than running your vacuum cleaner. I'd like to amend that. I'd RATHER run the orbiter than the vacuum cleaner. It sort of glides around all on its own with just a bit of guidance. Shoving and pulling that vacuum cleaner is WORK! LOL

I have now used this on our hardwoods and tile twice. It does a good job, but you DO need to mop afterwards. The orbiter will loosen dirt and stains, but the pad won't pick up everything. Note that the instructions for cleaning hard surfaces DO tell you to mop afterwards, so this is an expected part of the process.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 27, 2012
Verified Purchase
The Oreck orbital scrubber/buffer/sander is excellent. My hard wood floors have only been mopped for twenty years. Never scrubbed. Never renovated. Once over with the Oreck scrub attachment, polished and buffed and the floors are like new. If needed, the Oreck has a sanding attachment that, I am sure, would have worked great. The buffer was excellent and will be used weekly for less time and effort than the past tense dry mopping. The head is heavy, so is a little weildsome putting on attachment. The flipside is that weight allows the user to simply guide the machine along the floor. No exertion needed. Very quiet.

I also used on my bath and kitchen tiled and grouted floors. Same history. Never scrubbed, etc. Only mopped over twenty years. Same results. Excellent. The girlfriend's "...must do a renovation" was completely quieted. Girlfriend has same satisfaction as I.

Do not have carpeting. Machine has carpet cleaning attchments available.

Choose your attachment package mindfully, as the attachments are on the pricey side. The attachment make the job.
on December 14, 2011
Verified Purchase
We have three cats and this machine (with the Oreck wood floor cleaner) eliminated all marks and odors generated by three cats and two humans. The Orbiter is so easily maneuverable, with little physical effort required. The rubber edge protects walls and furniture against scratches. This is the first product I have purchased, in which I feel strongly enough, to write a review. I highly recommend it for those with laminate flooring. I also purchased the Oreck hard floor buffer to finish the job with a nice polish. *Love it.*
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Based on the lengthy first review comparing the Oreck with other floor cleaning methods used we bought the device. We ended up using a local store for immediate access and paid about $50 more but they threw in 3 pads and dry powder liquid activator. We brought home the Oreck and immediately went to work. We had, unfortunately used "mop and glo" on our prefinished bamboo floors. What a mistake. We learned that product quickly builds up a residue and is next to impossible to remove. The Oreck with Bona floor cleaner is doing a great job of removing the old product and making it ready for the Bona restore product. It is amazing how difficult it is to remove the old product. I had tried for 30" with a scrub brush and the cleaner on hands and knees and was only able to remove a spot about 1' square. This is not sustainable since we have our whole apt in bamboo with persian rugs. With the Oreck we covered a large portion of the floor in about 3 hours and much easier use. Because we had so much of the product on high traffic areas we are going to have to repeat the process to get all the product off down to the prefinished bamboo in many spots. It is such a relief to have a technique that will work to keep the floors beautiful long term and will preserve the beautiful bamboo floors! Not only that, we can use this device on our persian rugs as well, using the "dry cleaning" method, without having to remove them and send them to a rug cleaner. This is particularly difficult since we have marble tables. We had considered the other floor scrubber device but ultimately decided it would not be heavy or durable enough for our needs. The store, Stark Vacuum in PDX, confirmed this conclusion - that the Oreck is the best/only device for home use that can be expected to achieve good results and is easy to use. We are very satisfied with the Oreck purchase.
on February 26, 2012
Verified Purchase
This product arrived on time, in excellent condition. However, I would caution new buyers to read the product description very carefully. This purchase includes the floor machine only, it does not include any brushes to clean the floor. I went to use the new product after the holidays, and realized I could not use it until I had in fact made an additional purchase to receive the brushes.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 17, 2012
Verified Purchase
This buffer has been a AWESOME ADDITION to my Cleaning & Jaintorial Business.
It does everything the big rotary buffer's can do with ease .
Troy F
A.T.Your Service Cleaning & Janitorial
on September 20, 2011
Verified Purchase
Great machine to clean floors in our commercial buildings. It's easy to manage, heavy enough to do the job and sturdy. Saved a lot of money getting it through Amazon after price comparing.
on June 13, 2012
Verified Purchase
I have found the Oreck Orbiter Multi Purpose Floor Machine fantastic! I have been able to remove years of ground-in dirt from original wide-board pine floors in my "antique" house far more successfully than I would have believed. I am a "senior citizen" and find the machine easy to use and control; in fact, I find it less strenuous than mopping! The caveat is that the pads and solution do not come with the machine, so new users need to include these with their purchases. I highly recommend this great machine and can't wait to try it on carpet and tile!
on October 10, 2012
Verified Purchase
I have about 1200 sq ft of brazilian walnut floors that are pretty dark with a satin finish. The floors are not hand scraped so they are flat and show dirt more than I ever imagined they would. The only way to get them extremely clean was to get on my hands and knees with a microfiber cloth and scrub them but more importantly buff them dry so that there would be no streaks. This was a lot of work and used to take well over an hour and destroy my back and knees. Now with the orbiter, I can clean the floors in about 20 minutes but the results are much better. I did find a site online to order 13" microfiber bonnets ($10 each) and they work much better than the terry cloth bonnets from oreck. The microfiber bonnets clean and then buff the floor dry very fast and I barely use any floor cleaner. I'm using about 1/4th the amount of cleaner I used to use when I did the floors by hand. Handling the orbiter is so easy, even my 2 year old can do it. I have been using the Bruce hardwood floor cleaner and it works very well with no residue or streaks.

As far as using it for carpet cleaing it does work very well in some applications but for cleaning up fresh spills or dog vomit I use my rug doctor to do a wet extraction. As far as old existing stains and traffic, the oreck does very well but you may have to clean 2-3 times to get good results and since the chemicals are NOT cheap, it is expensive. Lowes does carry the same powder but a different brand for much less than oreck sells. I think I got twice the amount for half the cost.

Overall, it's a very quality piece of equipment. Be very careful to make sure the switch is in the OFF position before plugging it in, so it doesn't spin out of control and break anything or hurt anyone.

Overall, for hardware floors I give it a 10/10 and for carpets an 8/10.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 5, 2012
I got this product 4 weeks ago from Delta Skymiles MarketPlace and have used it a few times on my hardwood floors and marble floors. I absolutely love this product. My hardwood and marble floors look almost new. I used a mixture of baking soda and warm water for my marble floors: sprayed mixture, buffed with Oreck, let it dry for a few hours, rinsed and dried. For my hardwood floors I used Earth Friendly Products Floor Cleaner: sprayed and buffed. The last time my floors looked this good was when I purchased my property (new). Highly recommend the Oreck Orbiter!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations