5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!
The Oreck air cleaner works great and made a noticable difference in the air quality after just a day or so. I tried shutting it off for a day, and the difference was amazing so it is definitely turned on for good. Thinking about getting a second one for in the bedroom.
Published on August 18, 2008 by Joseph W. Ellis

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I expect too much
Published on April 20, 2009 by TerraByte

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, August 18, 2008

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I expect too much, April 20, 2009
TerraByte (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
I got one of these about five years ago when my daughter got a ferret. It never did anything for the odor. The light that is supposed to light up when the unit needs to be cleaned, never did. I cleaned the unit monthly and there was a lot of dust on the filters, but I could still see a lot of floating dust in my 12'x15' living room. Maybe I expected too much. It still works, although it is now so noisy it gets turned off whenever anyone is in the room.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Powerful Air Purifier for a large area., February 1, 2009
I purchased this air purifier for my 11' x11' bedroom. I was constantly coughing. It was annoying. I believe it is too big for my bedroom.
So I put it in the basement to control mildew in the summer, although right now it is winter.

But the other day, I was knocking down a wall in my bedroom and there was thick sheetrock dust in the air. I brought the air purifier up and the air was clear in about 5 minutes. Yes, powerful! And then the unit starting making a clicking sound, as the instruction booklet said it would when it needed to be cleaned. I took the unit apart as instructed. It was very easy to clean. It started right back up again with no problem.

This is a serious air cleaner. But I suggest paying attention to the size of room it covers before purchasing. I don't know why it made me cough so bad.

It is somewhat noisey on high. But a comfortable noise level on low. It has 3 settings.

1.0 out of 5 stars creates ozone, November 18, 2008
Creates ozone. I used this for two years before discovering that I was actually hurting my children. It makes me really angry that a company can sell products like this and get away with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oreck makes products that suck., September 30, 2008
Just like their line of vacuum cleaners -- this product also sucks, big time. Especially when you consider the pricetag... it's like $300 on the Oreck website.

I have allergies and asthma. Way back when I had a HomeMedics filterless air purifier and it worked great up until it died. I could feel a difference after minutes of it being on. But, once the motor failed I was hard-pressed to find an affordable substitute.

After reviewing numerous pages of filters & purifiers I noticed a commonality; none of the reviews here on amazon are 100%. In fact, few of them are better than 60%. Half the time the bad reviews aren't even really related to the product, they're just people complaining like I'm doing right now. But here and there you read a review where the filter died after two months. How on earth do you choose with odds like that?

So, this model had 100% satisfaction on amazon -- so I bought it. Plus it has that bs endorsement by the allergy sufferers of america or whatever it's called. Look that up and you'll find it means nothing. They are not certified by anyone and their endorsement is groundless. A consumer advocate website tested this product as only filtering about 30% of whatever is floating around in the air of your home.

Personally -- after having this on for 24 hours I couldn't tell a difference at all. I suspect some of these other reviews are fake... take a look at the other products they've reviewed... they don't offer any real insight into the product, they simply love everything they buy.

Anyway, save your money, this machine is not worth the hype. I kept it for a week and I think that was a fair opportunity to see what it's capable of. I can honestly say I couldn't tell a lick of difference in the air quality of my home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oreck XL Aircom1BRP the Miracle Machine, March 21, 2009
I have been skeptical of air purifiers, not beleiving they really work. This spring I have had terrible allergies and asthma. My huband talked me into purchasing the air purifier to see is it would help. We have been so amazed that since we have plugged this Oreck extended life air purified in, my allergies and asthma have gotten better every day. We have had it plugged in for about 9 days, and I no longer need my inhaler to breath. It's like a miracle. I have suffered with allergies and asthma for 41 years, and now I can even sleep through the night, breathing through both sides of my nose and without waking up coughing to get air. Thank you Oreck!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars loud but powerful ionic air purifier, December 31, 2009
This is my 3rd air purifier, after trying the silent ionic one in the past as well as currently using the Alen T300 conventional multi stage HEPA air purifier.

I would say this Oreck XL falls somewhere in between these two. It's main filtering element is essentially ionic-based system with additional "pre filter" netting, similar to anti-bug netting you'd see on home windows, plus optional charcoal based "odor eliminating" filter that needs to be replaced every few months. Neither of those additional layers is able to stop anything smaller than a hair, so all of the real filtering is done by the ionic cell that has metal plates charging and collecting the dust particles. The main difference with the pure Ionic purifiers is the powerful fans that push a lot of air through the elements to make the process more effective.

Compare that to the Alen HEPA filter i have, which does the bulk of the work with it's actual thick filtering element that traps most of the particles, even those small enough to not be visible to the naked eye. It also has small ionic element as well as the UV lamp to deal with bacterias.

The upside of the Ionic cell approach used by Oreck is that you dont have to buy and replace filter element as with traditional HEPA filters (although the optional charcoal odor filter does need replacing), the ionic cell can be cleaned with just soap and water every once in a while to assure effective operation. The downside however, is that it is probably not anywhere as effective on removing small particles, pollen, bacterias etc as the HEPA filters.

The noise is also an issue, it's quite loud at higher settings and a little bothersome in bedroom at night even at the lowest setting. It makes about as much noise on lowest setting as the average size fan, where my HEPA based system on low setting is practically silent.

In the end, Orick XL is a decent Ionic cell-based air filter especially if you don't want to deal with replacing HEPA filters every few months, but given the filtering effectiveness and noice issues, i will stick with my Alen T300 for filtering the air in the bedroom.

1.0 out of 5 stars Works great, for a limited time., July 20, 2009
These work really well, but degrade pretty quick. By their own submission their filter requires replacement, and it isn't cheap. These units work efficiently for under six months, then they are just wasting power. I cannot believe they are still being sold!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my allergies!!, June 25, 2008
This really helped my family's allergies and the refrigerator purifier was a nice bonus! I would definitely recommend this to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works great!, September 29, 2008
This item works great, was received quickly and the price was better than buying direct from Oreck.

Oreck Air Purifier with HEPA Filter Silver