Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

Oreck VersaVac Stick Vacuum
Price:$154.96+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Oreck VersaVac makes an excellent vacuum cleaner, but a so-so steam mop.

The VersaVac is almost completely assembled when you take it out of the box. The only thing you have to do is insert the handle, which simply slides into place. The materials and assembly quality is high, and the Oreck feels sturdy in hand. The vacuum has a nice integrated carry handle on the rear, and weighs about as much as a typical stick vacuum. It should be easy for most people to carry.

Using the VersaVac is simple. There are two knobs on the front to control the vacuum. One knob allows you to choose between the vacuum mode, vacuum mode with the beater bar turned on, and steam mode. The knob below that controls the temperature of the steam for different floor surfaces (tile, linoleum, and hardwood). The steam temperature control knob is a nice touch that the steam mop I already own, a Hoover, lacks. There are three indicator lights on the front of the unit that indicate if the steam is on, when the steam is ready, and if the beater bar is running. The lights are large and bright. To use the steam mop you click on the steam base and attach one of the two included (machine washable) pads. The cord is fairly long and, while it might not cover the whole house, you shouldn't have a problem reaching a few rooms from one spot. On the front of the Oreck is the water resevior, and on the back is the vacuum's dust bin. Both are easy to remove, and empty or fill, respectively. There are various filters that are also easy to get to and clean. All of the filters for the vacuum system are washable, while the hard water filter for the steam mop system needs to be replaced yearly.

The vacuum part of the Oreck works well, and was able to clean up dog hair and granola out of the carpet easily. The brush roll is powerful, and cleans deeply. Moreover, a really nice feature is that the brush roll is direct driven, so there are no belts to break or replace. Additionally if anything get wrapped around the brush roll you can remove and clean it without using any tools. The steam mop part of the Oreck clean very well and makes copious amounts of steam. After you turn it on, the steam is ready in about 1 minute, and you simply hold down the trigger in the handle to release the steam. The trigger also has a lock so you don't have to hold it down continually while cleaning a large area (also a nice touch that my Hoover lacks). It easily cleaned salad dressing and sour cream off of my tile floor without much effort. When vacuuming or steaming the Oreck is fairly quiet and you don't need to yell to be heard over it. It's also easy to push and pull in both steam and vacuum modes (except when steaming on linoleum for some reason, where I resorted to pushing it forward with the handle almost on the floor to get more leverage, and then raised the handle for the back stroke).

The Oreck is such a great machine that it pains me to say that when used as a steam mop the head of the machine is simply too large and unwieldy to get into tight spaces. In order to get between my toilet and the wall I had to push the Oreck in sideways, and forget about getting behind the toilet. I guess that's the one drawback of a combination machine like this. Since the head also has to be a vacuum it needs to be wide and square, so it can't fit into tight spaces like the small triangular head of my Hoover steam mop can.

All in all...as combo machines go, you can't go wrong with the Oreck, unless you need to steam in tight quarters.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 10, 2012
I was so excited to try to VersaVac but am disappointed in the steam mop -- I'm hoping it's defective. I just got it yesterday and tried it out immediately. I really like the vacuum. It's lighweight and the suction and broom action seem very good. The steam mop, however, leaves much to be desired -- hopefully, it's not supposed to work this way. The steam only comes out of the right side of the unit. There is a hole in the middle that shoots out the steam. Supposedly, it should spread to the entire mop. The dirt being picked up on the mop is mostly on the side where the steam seems to be coming out correctly. The rest of the mop stays cool and not moist; and is not picking up much dirt. The coverage of the steam mop is very limited. My sister has the Han steam mop and loves it. She said it has full coverage and that there are holes for the steam throughout the mop. Not sure if this is a design issue with the VersaVac; or if mine was defective. I will keep you posted and will update this review when I get the replacement -- currently scheduled for December 17th.

UPDATED ON NOVEMBER 20, 2012: I received my replacement VersaVac and am very sad to say that I'm returning it once again for good. I still love the vacuum and would purchase the vacuum-only version of this product at a lower price. The replacement steam mop was much more consistent in terms of coverage; and the steam did come out on both sides of this particular unit. Unfortunately, the steam mop leaves streaks on my hard wood floor. I have always used and loved Bona for my hardwoods but thought that a vacuum/steam mop combination that only used water would be awesome and would sanitize my floors without chemicals. I'm not so sure it's sanitizing, but what it is doing is leaving streaks on the floor. At first I thought maybe it was my floor. But when I used my Bona mop, the streaks went away. I'm very sad because I was really hoping that I could use this on my hardwoods and tile. It was VERY easy to switch from the vacuum to the steam mop. I REALLY wanted to like this product. It's so simple to use and, if it worked well, would be incredibly awesome. If you don't mind streaking, you may still like this product. Regarding the coverage, the mop itself only appeared to have dirt on certain sections which indicates that it's not full coverage and might be why there is streaking.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon December 12, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Overall I was fairly impressed by this as a combination machine. The vacuum is better than I expected, and does a great job on both carpet and hardwood floors. Granted, I'm comparing it to vacuums at about this price range or under, but in my opinion it does a great job. I like the option to switch the brush on and off. It is easy to dump out the collected dirt as well. Of course, only time will tell how long it performs this well, which is always a question for me with a vacuum. If you're looking for extra tools (for corners, upholstery or stairs) the VersaVac does not have them.

This has its pros and cons as a steamer. Mine provides nice, even steam. Attachment of the steamer head is nice and easy, and it comes with two machine washable mop heads. (I find the instructions to wash them separately from other fabric ridiculous - run a whole extra load of laundry every time you mop? - but I've ignored this and washed with towels with no problems so far.) This is the only one I've seen that allows you to select the steam level for different type floors, and also the only one I've had with an option to lock the steam switch for continuous steam. Otherwise you tend to get hand cramps from holding a steam button down. After using the steamer, I could see streaks on my hardwood floor, at least when the sun was shining on it. However, that's also been equally true with the other two steamers I've owned.

The overall downside is that this is a bit bulkier since it's dual purpose. It's somewhat hard to maneuver, though not too difficult for me to use, and I'm a small person. It also won't fit under cabinet edges in my kitchen, leaving spaces that will need to swept or hand cleaned if they started out dirty.

For comparison, I also own the BISSELL Steam & Sweep Hard Floor Cleaner, 46B4 and the Hoover TwinTank Disinfecting Steam Mop - WH20200. The Steam and Sweep has a sweeping function rather than a true vacuum so there's really no comparison on that count - VersaVac wins. The TwinTank excels in maneuverability and also does a good overall job of cleaning. It has an advantage of adding option disinfecting cleaner, but lacks the VersaVac's option to lock steam function on.

My assessment is that if you are in the marker for both a decent vacuum AND a steamer, this is a pretty good combination, especially if space motivates you to choose just one machine. The main floor of my home has tile, hardwood, carpet and rug, and this could be the one thing I use on all of them - with the exception of tidying up with a broom under unreachable edges. However, the steamer itself isn't outstanding, so if you already have a vacuum you like, then shopping for a separate steamer may be more economical and at least as satisfying.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The 2-in-1 VersaVac works as advertised. It does a nice job vacuuming and also works well on hardwood floors as a steam mop. Besides this vacuum, I own an electric broom and a full-sized vacuum. I also have a Swifter and I used Swifter refills on my hardwood floor.

I hoped that the vacuum would replace the electric broom, the full-sized vacuum, and the Swifter, but it didn't replace any of them. The VersaVac has a more powerful suction than the electric broom, but it is also more heavier than the electric broom. Accordingly, I would not want to have to run up a few flights of stairs with the VersaVac in order to pick up a small spill. However, the VersaVac would do a better job cleaning up a small mess than an electric broom and surely a dustbuster.

Unlike my large vacuum, the VersaVac does not have the extension parts that can be used to clean small corners and stairs. I'm not sure if these accessories can be bought separately but I'm not sure how one can truly clean a house without the attachments.

Finally, the VersaVac does a nice job cleaning hardwood floors and I like that it uses water to clean the floors rather than chemicals, as does the Swifter wet pads. The VersaVac, however, requires a push to move it across the floor, so once again, it is not as good on the back as the incredibly lightweight Swifter.

Therefore, while the VersaVac is a good vacuum/mop, I'm not sure if it is ideal to have in place of the regular standby floor cleaning apparati. However, it is nice to have as an accompaniment.
on October 13, 2014
DO NOT BUY from AMAZON. My VersaVac steam function stopped working in 9 months. Used only 2 times so far, cleaned nozzle etc...still not working. Amazon denied return so I called Oreck. Read carefully.....what Oreck said....if u buy from Amazon third party, Oreck will not cover. Why Amazon sells thru third party if there is NO MFG. warranty???? PPL should buy ONLY from COSTCO and WALMART since they back up their suppliers. Oreck is ruining their reputation as well since NOT honoring MFG. warranty even though seller claims 1-2 years of mfg. warranty.
on December 6, 2012
Received this for my birthday and was excited to use this. I have tile and hardwood floors and needed something lightweight to clean with. Suction is fantastic on the vacuum and love the bagless feature. The steam mop has a large surface but not all of the surface effectively cleans. Used this item twice and was fairly pleased with the results. Left streaks but my floors were pretty dirty. While steam mopping, the handle completely snapped off. I don't know why or what caused the handle to break off. I only could think that it tipped over and might have weakened the handle. I tried returning it to my Oreck dealer and they said they wouldn't except this broken machine because they do not sale the VersaVac because of bad reviews or poor quality. They suggested I call Oreck directly.
I really like the dual purpose so I probably will risk getting a replacement.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon November 23, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm a huge steam mop fan. We have a large-ish home with all hard surface (natural stone) flooring, and steam mops are, for me, the best, safest and easiest way to clean them weekly. I've tried multiple models--five, including this one--and my current favorite remains the Haan FS-30 Steam Cleaning Floor Sanitizer which has been going strong for more than a year now.

The Haan's ease of use, durability and effectiveness will in no way be challenged by this Oreck combo.

First the good ... The unit is easy to get up and running (took less than 5 minutes, out of the box) and seems to be well made and sturdy. It has large, easy to use knobs and buttons, with a straightforward industrial design. It is relatively lightweight, though not as light as a steam mop alone. (It can't be, given the vacuum element.) And, as a stick vac alone, it works pretty great. I tried it on bare floors and rugs and both picked up very well, managing dust and dog hair with no problems. The canister is easy to empty of debris, though not as easy as my regular vacuum, a Dyson DC41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner.

Still, having said that, you can find stick vacs for a lot less than this Oreck which work just as well, or better. And I'm sad to say that "steam mop" component of this is flat out worthless. Fiddling with the various filters (both vacuum and steam) was also a hassle, but that wasn't really the big issue. This thing just plain doesn't generate true steam, or at least not enough of it to do any good. And the small output it does have, seems to emanate only from one side and then ends up in puddles on your floor, by then way too cool (despite the "temperature" knob, which seems pretty pointless) to have any actual cleaning or sanitizing properties. You'd be better off throwing a Dixie Cup of hot water on your kitchen floor and saying you'd "cleaned" it. And getting the Oreck to suck the deposited water back up, was a very hit or miss prospect, that more often than not left bits of debris from the vacuum element (I assume) streaked across the floor. (Every other steam mop I've tried uses a pad or cloth system to distribute the steam.)

As a light duty vacuum I'd give this one three stars, mainly because of the price. (There are equal or better options out there for less.) But as a steam mop this is a big, fat zero in my book.

Too bad, because the combo for quick cleaning is a great idea.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 8, 2014
I must say it has lived up to it's hype.. I had a bit of trouble straight out of the box with the steamer. After only about 2 minutes into steaming my tile floor the steamer stopped steaming. I had received a small pin with my documentation that indicated that water deposits may build up and need to be maintained. Initially I didn't think this was going to be an issue but then when I filled my water canister up I noticed another label indicating that ALL units are tested prior to shipment and water residue my be visible. With this been said I put 2 and 2 together and decided to clean the steam nozzle and wallah it works like a charm. I was very impressed with the suction power and the quietness of the vacuum too. So far I am very please with my VersaVac! Also, by reading many product reviews about this cleaner prior to my purchase, I new to wet my steam cloth prior to my first initial steam cleaning. It was smooth and no resistance at all. Not hard to push like some reviews indicated.
on January 25, 2013
So I was looking for something that was an all in 1 that worked as great as separate devices and I found it in the VersaVac!

The suction on the vaccum is awesome! It's amazing what all my regular vaccum cleaner missed that my Versavac picks up with hardly any effort!

And the steam mop cleans great and dries almost immediately! The key to the steam mop (as others have rated that it does not work) is that you have to move it slowly back and forth across your floor. You can't rush through it like you would a wet mop. When used right, the results are beautiful!

I keep this in my kitchen and use it on my hardwood floating floor as well as the carpet in the living room. It changes from vac, to vac with brush in secs and vac to steam mop in less than 2 minutes!

Definitely keeps me more accountable to cleaning my floors because it is SO easy! You won't be disappointed!
on September 2, 2013
I have 3 kids under 10 with tile and hardwood floors. I can't explain how much I love this product. Light weight and very slim to fit under furniture. I was steaming the title floors today but forgot to vacuum one area and in 5 seconds I had converted back vacuuming. The cord is very long so no stopping to unplug and plug back in. Doesn't vac up small rocks or items of similar weight - the only draw back - but great for all the crumbs and dirt that gets tracked in. Love Orek products (Have a vacuum, canister and steamer. Now the versa vac). Product was cheaper on amazon than Orek.