5.0 out of 5 stars Great clock
I almost did not buy because of the negative reviews. Glad I blew them off. If accurate weather forecasts is your primary goal then turn on the TV or better yet look outside. The forecast is based on the change in barometric pressure. The projection on the ceiling is very good day and night. The alarm is very light especially for the hard of hearing - me.
Published on April 2, 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars sometimes an hour behind atomic clock!
Published on July 31, 2011 by pbug56

3.0 out of 5 stars sometimes an hour behind atomic clock!, July 31, 2011
This review is from: Oregon Scientific BAR339DPA Daylight Weather Projection Clock (Kitchen)
I've had mine for about 2 years. Starting several months ago, once in a while I'd find that the clock had dropped back exactly one hour. Sometimes it would fix itself a few hours later, sometimes it would take days and numerous reset attempts to get it to show the correct time. I reported it to OS. Person on the phone put me on hold a while, then came back to tell me that he was told a few of these clocks had a defect that caused the problem. To determine if mine was one of them, I was to do a full reset. If it was, they would replace it at no charge. I put new batteries in the sensor and reset it. I unplugged the clock, removed its batteries, waited 90 plus minutes, put all back together and did a reset. A few days later the problem returned. Called back, got told that there was no such problem or policy. I persisted, was told that my complaint would be escalated, that I'd hear back in about 24 hours. That went by, but it's now over the weekend - maybe I'll hear back Monday.

FYI, I have an older version of the clock. Other then projection issues (the clock fell a few times and part of the lens assembly is gone), it works well. We have a few other OS products, including a rain sensor system, which other then the pain of changing the batteries seems to work just fine. I'm not anti OS, but I'd really like to know that my alarm clock doesn't sometimes run an hour late!

1.0 out of 5 stars projection clock/outside thermometer, November 7, 2009
Alternating between outside temperature and the clock is irritating. I want to glance up and see the time and temp, not have to stare at it to come around to the time or temp. When I bought this the alternating was not specified and the pictures are misleading. They claim their Weather Forecaster method is accurate 75% of the time per the user manual, how about less than 25 %, if that...The older model this replaced was much better and about half the price, one of the silver projection clock thermometers. The projection surface with this has to be about 10 feet away to be focused, I had the old one focused above the bed but this one isn't clear until you aim it further away, on the wall at the foot of the bed in our case.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, August 22, 2012
The Oregon Scientific clock I replaced would sit at my bedside facing me and project the time and temperature constantly on the ceiling above my head. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the clock and sensor reception ran off of battery instead of the DC adapter (the latter is only used for the projection) and so had the very annoying side effect of the slowly fading over time as the batteries drained. (I ended up hacking the old unit, which I am back to using since this clock is such a lose, by connecting a second DC adapter in place of the batteries.)

The one good thing about this clock is that they *finally* power the clock/sensor/projection from the DC adapter and have batteries to keep the time in case of a power failure (the clock does not display anything if unplugged from the wall but keeps time).

The fatal design flaws of this unit are:

1) The projection can be rotated 180 degrees but cannot be rotated in 90 degree increments (which you need if you want to look at the clock on the bedside but be able to look straight up to see the projection) or freely (like my old unit). If I have the clock placed so I can see the face at the bedside, the projection is sideways on the ceiling as a result.

2) It displays worthless weather forecast icons along with the time instead of the time and the outdoor temperature (like my old unit). You can have the clock cycle between displaying the worthless icons + time and the outdoor temperature, but you cannot have both projected at the same time. If you want to see both pieces of information you have to keep staring at the projection until it cycles.

3) There is no way to adjust the brightness of the projection. It's nice and bright so you can see the projection in the day time, but this means it's way too bright at night time. It looked like it had a light sensor so it could auto-dim, but alas no.

Stay away from this product! It's a shame that there's nothing on the market that combines the key features necessary with the quality I have come to expect from Oregon Scientific.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Product if you like a night light....., November 7, 2011
NanReviews (DC Metro Area) - See all my reviews
We purchased this clock because it also displayed the time and temperature during the day which we thought would be really nice and it was. However, at night it was a blinding beacon of light on my night stand and I couldn't sleep! My husband put 2 DARK sunglass lenses from an old pair of sunglasses on top of the projection light and we turned off the display on the clock itself in order to make it dark enough to sleep. We were still able to see the time/temperature through the dark lenses at night and during the day, which gives you an idea of how bright it is! The only other thing I didn't like about it was the fact that it toggled between the time and temperature. I would prefer them to be displayed together so you don't have to stare at it to wait for the information to display. So the bottom line is, if you don't mind light in your room at night or waiting for the time and temperature to display separately this is a great product. After giving this product a try, we decided to return it for an Oregon Scientific model that does only projects at night and displays the information simultaneously which we have had before and really liked. We'll miss the daylight display though!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great clock, April 2, 2011
Amazon Customer (Yorktown, VA United States) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars If you Don't Like This, Try This Substitute, November 12, 2013
I do not own one of these, but I had to enter a rating in order to post this so ignore the 3 stars. I bought several of the older model Oregon Scientific BAR338's when they were available and gave most of them away as gifts. I at least had the foresight to squirrel a couple of them away for the future since nothing lasts forever. I always thought it was weird that the entire clock was not powered by the DC adapter.

Hammacher Schlemmer Model 83134 ($80) is a good substitute for the BAR338 - it's almost a clone. I have one and it's all good so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a daylight projection clock!, July 8, 2013
Judith Bronowski (Pacific Palisades) - See all my reviews
This is really brilliant. The projection is not too bright at night (doesnt light up the whole room!) yet is really readable all day in bright light. The forecasting graphic feature is sort of lame but who needs it. Temperature could read a bit more clearly, hard to distinguish from the time sometimes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much Too Bright for Bedroom Use!, October 31, 2012
This appears to be a very nice instrument. However, the projected light output is MUCH too bright for bedroom use. If you want to use it in a lighted room (living room) then its great. However, if you want to put this in a bedroom (as I did), prepare to have the whole room lit up at night in a red glow like you might expect in a photographers darkroom. There is a photo sensor, but it only minimally dims the projection in a dark room. (I'm going to set this in my backyard so I can project the time/temp/weather on the clouds like a "bat signal" for my whole town). Seems to be good quality though...

5.0 out of 5 stars This product is fantastic ~ In my opinion the negative reviews are unwarranted, April 7, 2014
I almost didn't purchase this product due to the abundance of negative reviews. To me, they're unwarranted.

This weather projection clock is extremely easy to set up. It provides accurate indoor and outdoor temperatures, as well as the exact time courtesy of its radio controlled receiver. Mine was able to pick up the time signal from CO within a few hours, even though I live 2,000 miles away from the transmitter.

The outdoor temperature transmitter comes with self adhesive tape on the back side and can be installed anywhere in just a few seconds. The instruction manual is simple to understand and the display unit is extremely easy to read. If you choose not to have the front display on, you simply flip a switch and the screen goes dark. You can still read the information, but it will be faint. I chose to leave the screen turned off, as I purchased this primarily for the projection and didn't want the added light showing at night.

The projection device can be rotated 180 degrees, which worked out perfectly for me. Many reviewers have commented that they don't like the fact that the projector alternates between the time and the temperature/weather forecast. I don't understand what the big deal about this is, as it doesn't bother me at all.

One of the main reasons why I purchased this particular projection device is because it also displays the time and weather information during the day. Since I'm a night-owl and get up late, I like the fact that I can read the temperature and time when the room is light. To me, this is a fantastic feature. The projector automatically adjusts for dark and bright rooms.

I have the projection displaying on the ceiling above my bed. The only thing that bothered me at first, was the level of brightness at night. When I first used it, I thought that it was a little too bright. Now, after getting used to it for a week, I no longer find this to be an issue. Oregon Scientific probably should have installed a sensor that gradually adjusts the brightness according to room light levels, but that would have added to the cost of the product. To me, that's the only area where I think the product could be improved, and as mentioned it's not a factor for me.

The weather forecast icons, while not perfect, do a pretty good job of predicting future weather events. The icons are derived from a built-in barometer. Instead of seeing the actual barometric pressure, the projection clock interprets the barometric conditions and temperatures, than displays the appropriate icon. If the barometer is falling, expect to see the rain or snow icon, depending on the outside temperature. If it's rising, expect to see the sun. If it's steady or rising/falling slowly, expect to see partly cloudy or cloudy icons. As mentioned, reviewers have stated that it's not accurate. I would agree that it's not perfect, but neither is a real barometer at forecasting the weather.

All in all, I think this is a fantastic product and I disagree with those who have given it a bad review. One thing you might want to note if you live in a state where the temperature goes below zero in the winter. Instead of using an alkaline battery in the outdoor sensor, use a lithium one. The manual states that the display will only read as low as -4 degrees Fahrenheit. What they neglect to tell you, is that this limit is only when you use alkaline batteries. Alkaline batteries are only capable of working to levels a few degrees below zero. On the other hand, lithium batteries can be used to forecast temperature down to -40 degrees Fahrenheit or below.

The bottom line is that this is a great product. With its focus wheel, it provides very sharp readings on a ceiling or wall. Both the time and temperature are accurate, and the item is very well made. I give it 5 stars.

Addendum: 06/10/2014 ~ While I still believe that this product deserves 5 stars, the customer support department deserves zero stars. If you call the toll free number with technical questions, the representatives are incapable of answering even the most basic question. Even worse, if you contact the company by email, you'll never receive a response. I should know, as I've tried doing so 3 times.

4.0 out of 5 stars needs some fine tuning, February 19, 2011
Was frustrated at first. Focus dial was tough to move, had to kind of break it in. Backup battery compartment was difficult to open. Alarm is a bit soft.

Otherwise cool, love the projection (once I could loosen up the focus wheel.)

Oregon Scientific BAR339DPA Daylight Weather Projection Clock