4.0 out of 5 stars Nice unit, especially for the money.
Published on May 24, 2006 by Jerry C. Welsh, Jr.

2.0 out of 5 stars Adequate product: Lousy service
Owned for 10 months.

Overall: Buy it if you are willing to treat it as a throw-a-way.

Great when it works, fun and a good value BUT junk when it breaks. The "Atomic Time" feature has worked sporadically and worked for less than 2 months in the past 10 months. Other reviews suggest that this problem is typical of this and of other Oregon units...
Published on September 25, 2006 by WPITES

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice unit, especially for the money., May 24, 2006
This review is from: Oregon Scientific BAR608HGA Hide-Away Weather Forecaster with Clock (Kitchen)
I set up the included remote on my back deck at the other end of the house from the base. There are three walls between the remote and the base, yet base picks up the signal perfectly. Just read the directions before starting. The atomic clock didn't find a signal for the first few days but finally I did pickup a signal (I am well over the recommended range of 930 miles or so). You can set the clock up manually if needed, and it's very easy to do. I love seeing both the indoor and outdoor temperature and humidity without switching modes.

My disappointments so far are few. 1) The unit runs only on batteries and manual says no rechargables. There is no ac adaptor option. 2) The backlight only stays on for a few seconds and it really isn't long enough to see everything. It would be great if this were configurable. 3) To change batteries in the remote you must unscrew three tiny, recessed screws so make sure you have a small phillips head screwdriver handy.

Overall, I am very happy with this unit, especially when you consider the price. I was prepared to spend a lot more to get a high end unit that shows both indoor and outdoor temp and humidity at the same time but they just aren't out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally nice unit, June 16, 2006
(Funny how the price of this likes to flucuate, I got it here only a couple days ago and it was a couple dollars more.)

Anyway, this is a decent unit for the money. I actually bought two, when I only needed one. Why? For the second remote sensor. When another unit that includes a remote sensor is only a few dollars more than the only lone remote sensor available, it made perfect sense! lol

My only gripes are: The units just can't find an atomic clock signal here (NJ) for some reason (one finally did after 2 whole days, but the next day it can't again, so I guess it depends on favorable atmospheric conditions? *); the barometer of the two units won't agree (one is spot-on after setting proper altitude; the other is way off at same altitude setting - so I guess the altitude setting is really just a general calibration); and the backlight stays on for only 4 seconds (not 8 as stated in the manual!).

Otherwise, even with its funky off-center design (because of the sliding cover), it's a nice looking unit with decent features that gives you the weather info you want the most. Plus how it rotates the display for the remote sensors is handy.

(* Seems more likely to find the atomic clock signal -- and strong level too -- on overcast days, so it does seem that atmospheric conditions affect it much like ham radio I guess. Also the unit's location around other electronic devices may affect success as well.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!!, July 28, 2006
Sadie (Mountlake Terrace, WA) - See all my reviews
I have now bought 4 of these. I started by buying one for my husband who loves checking weather reports. He now has his own weather station and I have since bought an extra sensor so he can check the temperatures in other areas. My dad saw it and became intrigued, so I bought him one and now have ordered two more for future gifts. Great gift for anyone interested in the weather, temperatures in different areas of your house, yard, RV, etc. Easy to use too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Has its problems, but still a good device, November 30, 2006
Jason P (Pequannock, NJ) - See all my reviews
I have had this unit for a few weeks now and have had a pretty decent experience. The temp and humidity seem accurate enough for my own personal use and the weather prediction is accurate more than 75% of the time.

I did run into the same problem as one of the other users where it wouldn't take the information from the remote unit without it being right next to the base. I proceeded to change the remote and base unit to channel 2 and reset both devices (as I didn't feel like trying to figure out which one needed resetting) and it work immediately.

For the price, this is well worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Precise, but not very accurate, October 25, 2006
Lanier Dodson (New Orleans, LA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a good price, so I gave it 4 stars for value. They say it is a precision instrument (OK, it measures temperature to 0.1 degree F). However, it is not very accurate (I put the remote and main units next to each other and over a two day period the temperature difference between them varied from 0.5 to 1.5 degrees F). I called the company and they say they only guarantee it to +/-2 deg. At least LaCrosse is up-front and tells you in the description of their similar product that it is accurate to +/- 1.5 deg.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just bought another one!, January 13, 2007
S. Brady (Tucson, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
Unit has everything at a great price. One remote sensor is included with unit and even it has a small readout for temperature and humidity. Base unit has included desk stand or you can hang it on the wall. I won't elaborate on the many various readings as the product description covers it well. Besides function it looks great. The setting buttons are hidden behind a sliding panel and the front trim is an anodized gold color with an attractive blue backlight when activated.

With a complement of superior functions at a very reasonable cost I feel conflicted mentioning what could be improved. When wall mounting, both the base and the sensor, it is designed to hang by a nail. Not very secure and even when I press the backlight button the base unit moves to the side. I took care of this with a couple of pieces velcro. You can also secure the sensor in the same manner. Really the only other complaint is that the manuel, as is often the case, does not clearly tell you how to make adjustments. Also, would not count on the forcast function to heavily. Had to experiment; but managed to set everything right. A definite recommendation to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Device Does the Job and Is a Good Value, August 24, 2006
I purchased my first of these in December 2005 for myself, and just purchased another for my 82 year old mother. The display is easy to read, and provides temperature, relative humidity, barometric pressure, a forecast of clear or cloudy, the date and the time. The maximum-minimum feature is what sold me, which you need to clear each day which can be done simply. The remote can signal from quite a long distance away and through several walls.

My complaints would be that this device unnecessarily has an alarm clock and an atomic clock which I don't need. I mention this because the programming to set the units up is not intuitive, and adding these just makes the task more difficlut, unless reading tiny print on technical manuals is something that you enjoy. The batteries for the main unit are easy to install, but the AAA batteries for the remote device require a teeny screwdriver or some jury-rigged device. Why they didn't use the same screws as the main unit is beyond me. You also need to use a paperclip or similar device to poke into a hole to zero things out when you set this up, and I had to contact the company to learn how to do this. For these reasons, I set up my mother's device up before giving it to her. Some of these problems could be resolved by having the unit do only what I wanted it to do -- provide current, maximum and minimum tempertures inside the house and outside the house.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oregon weather forecaster, January 18, 2007
This item was a great deal for the price. It lives up to the previous reviews. 90% accurate,easy to set up. Downside was the small screws in the back of base and transmitter to install batteries. Need one of those eyeglass frame screwdrivers to get the job done . Overall this is a really good item and performs very well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not top of the line - but great for the price, January 18, 2007
I got one of these last year and have had no problems. I have yet to figure out how the forecasting feature works - it does not see to be very accurate. I am not sure that is the fault of the unit - it could be that I do not have it set right or something. That is a small thing to me. The temperature is accurate - both inside and out. This has also ended the heater war - we agreed on a reasonable temperature and if someone is too hot or too cold as long as this unit says it's reasonable, we don't change the heat. In our case this has reduced our heating bill.

2.0 out of 5 stars Adequate product: Lousy service, September 25, 2006
WPITES (Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
Owned for 10 months.

Overall: Buy it if you are willing to treat it as a throw-a-way.

When it breaks: Oregon Scientific email support takes weeks to respond as noted in other reviews. Responses are less than helpful. Then, they make it as difficult as possible to get warranty service. For example, you must send them a copy of your orginal, clearly dated receipt before they will even respond to warranty inquiries. Then, after they verify the receipt, you go through an elaborate registration and approval process before you can return the product.

Oregon Scientific BAR608HGA Hide-Away Weather Forecaster with Clock