5.0 out of 5 stars Too good with this tiny object
Published on November 1, 2005 by K. Wu

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be better
PLUSES:

1. Self setting - worked great for us in the Pacific Northwest, especially for the time change.

2. Nice display in the dark

3. Battery backup ensures it continues to work if there's a power failure

4. Alarm is gradual, starting fairly quiet, and ending up louder& faster.

MINUSES:

It's tricky to find...
Published on November 9, 2006 by L. Crawford

5.0 out of 5 stars Too good with this tiny object, November 1, 2005
This review is from: Oregon Scientific RM313PNA Self-Setting Projection Clock, Silver (Kitchen)
Besides the projection clock, Atomic setting, it shows the indoor temperature. It also displays the date + weekday (Mon~Sun) with 3 languages settings (English, French and Spanish). Another feature I love, even it includes the 3V adapter, it works fine with only battery operated so that it becomes portable. The alarm has the special beeping which it beeps in the first 20 seconds, then 2 beeps between 20~50seconds,3 beeps between 50~1 minute, then it continues beeps after 1 minute. It's good since simetimes you don't want the clock interrupt your wife's sleep. I think it's a good buy with $19.99 (but I saw somewhere selling it at $18.50 :-()

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely satisfied, October 15, 2007
This clock is not the most perfect alarm clock ever made - but it fits the bill for what I was looking for. I'm not a morning person and an alarm clock is a serious purchase for me. Twenty two years ago, I bought a tiny battery operated clock in a garage sale for 15 cents. No, I'm not kidding. I loved it - the beep was just right, it was small and portable and I only had to change the battery every 5 years or so. It was impossible to read at night, but for 15 cents, it served me well until I dropped it one too many times and made the snooze function unusable.

I'm old and cranky - I need a good snooze button! I like to sleep in near complete darkness, so at first, the red glow of the numbers on my ceiling made me aware of an ominous glow above me - but just like the moon and stars, you kinda adapt to the subtle ambient lighting. In the dead of night, as I roll over in bed, I can look up at my ceiling to see the time without waking all the way or assaulting my eyes.

When the alarm goes off, it a simple beep - not beeps - one single beep that is loud enough to wake you, but not so loud it startles you. It will be followed by other single solitary beeps about 3-4 seconds apart. I can always slap the snooze button before the second beep comes along. The snooze is just the right time interval for me - 8 minutes. I can actually get another few minutes of true sleep before waking fully.

If the alarm goes off when it is still dark outside and it's dark in your room, the glowing blue of the clock might startle you - as it is bright. Plugged in, the red numbers are available at all times. When running solely on the 9v battery, the red light is only available when pressing the snooze bar to illuminate the time - on the face. You get both when you hit the snooze - you can't have just the red numbers. When set to alarm mode, however, I see the red numbers, but the eye-assaulting blue screen is off.

It is very easy to set the alarm. There are not 50 menus to jump through. A single button press on the center button either enables the alarm or disables it. The atomic clock feature means that I'm always on time when it's time to rise. The rubber coated 'feet' of the clock keeps it from sliding across my night stand as I fumble for it when it goes off.

Less than perfect rating is for a few things:

1.) you can't disable the bright blue backlighting or even dim it if you press the snooze bar for a status in the middle of the night (why isn't this also red?!)
2.) I would have liked to have seen this in a metal case - something more hearty and sturdy
3.) I can find no way to turn off the 'confirmation beeps' as I reset the alarm and there is no 'fast forward' - so if I wake up at 5:30 and decide I'd rather wake up at 6:45, I'm having to hit the 'up' button 15 times to go from 30 to 45 - each time with a corresponding beep which is not soft ... meaning if your husband or wife is trying to sleep - good luck in trying to reset the alarm without being sent to divorce court.

Overall, I am very pleased with this purchase and I appreciate the thought that went into its design.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish that I had bought one for myself, too!, January 3, 2005
Fun NY Mom (Chilly New York) - See all my reviews
This clock is great! I bought it for my 11 year old son for a Christmas gift. He loves it. It supposedly takes 2 to 10 minutes to automatically set itself. Ours took twelve (our kids were in a small panick) but was worth the extra wait. The time shines in red on your ceiling in nice, large numbers... probably 6 inches by 15 inches and is very clear and easy to see, even when it is not completely dark in the room. I only wish that the blue back-light would stay lit. When you press the the button, it only stays lit for 5 seconds. I have to say that the red numbers on the ceiling scare our 5 year old son, but he doesn't mind it when we position the clock to shine on the wall. All in all, I wish I had thought to buy a second one for my room. It is a real bargain and definitely worth buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to beat for the price., December 16, 2007
Seth Eliot (Seattle, WA, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Overall I am happy with this purchase. For the price this clock is a great buy, and it serves my needs well.

*** When I was looking for an alarm clock, I knew that two features were must-haves on my list:

1. Auto synchronization via the atomic cock signal.
2. Ceiling projection.

---Auto synchronization via the atomic cock signal.

I already have a watch that synchs to the atomic clock, and I love this feature. Eventually all clocks in my house (and on my person) will be auto synch (either via atomic clock or cell phone carrier). In my opinion it is the only way to go if you want to be assured of accurate time keeping.

Note that some alarm clocks are advertised as "Automatic Time Set" (for example Sony ICF-C218 Automatic Time Set Clock Radio (Black)), but these do not automatically synchronize their time setting. They call themselves "Automatic Time Set" but all this means is that they come pre-set from the factory with the correct time and have a daylight saving auto-adjustment.

--- Ceiling projection.

I had never had a ceiling projection clock before. I was concerned that the projections would be too bright and would interfere with my sleep. This fear was unfounded. The projection of this clock is easily read in a darkened room, yet does not give off appreciable light itself. The projection is red, and looks much like an LED display.

Unfortunately and predictably, in a fully lit room you will not see the projections.

*** Other features of this clock that I like:

--- Progressive Alarm

The alarm starts out as a single beep, and then progresses into multiple and more frequent beeps. The volume also seems to increase (but I am not sure of this). I find that I usually wake up in the early single-beep stages, but I am secure that if I am in an especially heavy sleep that the progression of the alarm will serve its purpose and wake me up.

--- Position of the snooze button

It is big and on top of the clock.

--- Small form factor

It does not take up too much space.

--- Temperature display

A nice bonus.

*** Features of this clock I do not like, or are missing:

--- No alarm volume control, and no choice of alarm.

The alarm sound is what it is (see above) and there is no changing it

--- Position of the alarm button

The button used to cancel the alarm in the morning is on the front of the unit. The good news is it is raised higher than the other buttons making it easier to find. The bad news is that located on the front of the unit it is awkward to hit (especially in a groggy state). Since the clock itself is so light, you have to grab the clock and hold it in order to hit the cancel-alarm button. This button really belongs somewhere on the top of the unit.

--- Clock face display only illuminates on request

You cannot read the clock face in the dark without first hitting the backlight button. Much better would have been an always-on LED display.

--- No aiming feature on the projector

The projector is fixed relative to the clock. To move the orientation of the projected time, one must move the clock. Said fixed orientation of the projection relative to the clock seems odd to me: If you have the clock on a nightstand with the display facing you, then the projection on the ceiling will be sideways relative to your point of view. Similarly, if the projection is moved so you can read it, then the clock display is no longer facing you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this clock, November 9, 2006
CookieMonster (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
I got this clock to replace the last one, which was almost identical.

Some great things:

1. It projects on the cieling - I can't live without this anymore.

2. It's atomic, but you can set everything manually.

3. Battery operated, so it doesn't go off if power goes out, but plugs in so you never have to change the batteries.

4. It's very compact and the housing is very durable.

Less good -

1. Sometimes the radio signal takes a while to catch on, with the blinds shut and everything - may just be my area though

2. Last one died (after 3 years use) - it would reset it self every time you hit snooze. It had problems after a while.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be better, November 9, 2006
L. Crawford (Victoria, BC CANADA) - See all my reviews
PLUSES:

2. Nice display in the dark

3. Battery backup ensures it continues to work if there's a power failure

4. Alarm is gradual, starting fairly quiet, and ending up louder& faster.

MINUSES:

It's tricky to find just the right spot to place the clock so the display shows where you want it to. I'd prefer to have it on the wall by my bed rather than the ceiling. How difficult would it be for Oregon Scientific to put the laser display on some sort of a swivel?

I guess I'll have to wait and see how long it lasts. We've only had it about 6 months now.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice ideas but lacking in a lot of areas, June 25, 2006
I bought this to replace a cheap ikea wind up alarm clock. Unfortunately this clock doesn't do a very good job of waking me up in the morning. The main problem with the alarm is that it isn't constant. It will go off once or twice and then nothing. I need an alarm clock that is like hell fury to wake me up in the morning. Something that will go off until I hit the snooze button... not something that goes off a couple of times then puts itself to sleep.

Another issue is that when you set the alarm sometimes it won't go off the next day. I have no idea why it does this but if you set it the night before it will not go off until a day after you set it. In other words it goes off 48 hours after you have set it.

Pros: The auto set feature is nice. It can tell the temperature of the room it's in.

Cons: The alarm is very weak and shuts off by itself. The alarm sometimes doesn't go off at all until 48 hours after you have set it. The projected display is useless if there is any ambient light in the room what so ever. The LCD display on the clock is so small that you can only see what time it is if the clock is half an inch away from your vision.

So I guess I'm in the market for a new alarm clock now.

1.0 out of 5 stars do NOT buy this clock, May 27, 2006
Jim "jimnjean" (West Chicago, IL, United States) - See all my reviews
This clock is complete junk.

Here's what's wrong with this toy clock:

-You can't focus the projection

-You can't flip the projected image

-The projected image is tiny, very tiny

-You can't swivel the projection to get it where you want

-The time on the clock itself is very tiny - almost unreadable

-When you "glow" the clock, it buzzes awfully

-The buttons on the clock are so small, you're likely to hit the wrong one.

We bought this clock, and even our six year old hated it. Don't buy it!! Instead of this one, search for Amazon ID B00005NN95 - a much, much better Oregon Scientific Projection Clock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Teens, January 4, 2008
Every young member of my family has been given one of these clocks, and I have one in every room of my house. Everyone loves having the time displayed on the ceiling with atomic precision. It is small enough to be unobtrusive on the bed table and works great. Recommend highly

1.0 out of 5 stars oregon scientific projection screen, May 30, 2013
My wife and I bought the Oregon scientific model# rm313pna two years ago.
The projection screen stopped working in both clocks after two years. Her son has one too,
and it stopped also. The damn thing is only good for two years. Company says it can't do anything
about it, because it has a one year warranty.
DON'T BUY THIS CLOCK, IT' JUNK