on May 28, 2008
I can't begin to tell you the abuse I've subjected this product to.

1- Used it on my RV. Probe was outside from freezing to desert for 6000 miles.

2- Took it up to Alaska and back, 15,000 miles.

3- Used it to determine the temp. of my developing solution (very caustic chemicals).

4- Now it's being pecked by chickens in my brooder.

I seem to never replace batteries in this. I can only remember doing it twice in 6 years.

Buy this product. Have no worries. It truly is a 5-star product.

2012 Update: Still works in my classroom. I think, after the nuclear armageddon, it will be the only piece of tech surviving.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 1, 2008
After reading a ton of reviews, I decided all of the moderately priced digital thermometers had flaws so I went with the brand that overall seemed well rated (Oregon Scientific). I also read that remote sensors were problematic so I chose this model because it uses an attached (wired) sensor. I am delighted with the performance of this model. I followed the instructions and placed the outdoor sensor in a protected location (the wire fits easily under my window (even with it locked for the winter). I've checked the indoor temp against my thermostat and it is within a few tenths of a degree. I've checked the outdoor temp against weather.com and the local radio station and it is also within tenths of a degree. That's accurate enough for me! I love having the clock too and the back-lighting comes in handy during the winter when it is dark in the morning. If you have a nearby window to run the wire through, you really can't go wrong with this thermometer.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 8, 2007
This does what you want it to. Accurately tells the temp indoor and outside and refreshes itself about every 30 seconds. What more could you ask for? Theres also a blue backlight so you can press any button during the nightime. It also functions as a clock with an Alarm but I dont use it.
on April 14, 2007
I bought this to monitor the evening outdoor temperature. When it finally cools off enough outside, I turn the air conditioner off and run just the fan on fresh air. This was simple to set up and seems to work flawlessly. I like that a change in temperature registers very quickly in tenths of a degree.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Oregon Scientific Thermometer and Clock is incredibly durable. I bought it from Targét 5 years ago - and it still works as well as the day I bought it!

The LCD display is large enough so that it can be easily read from about 15' away. It has a backlight that you can turn on with the push of a button, which is conveniently located in front of the unit. The LCD screen has three lines for:

1) Time
2) Indoor Temperature
3) Outdoor Temperature

The unit has a 10' long probe for monitoring outdoor temperature (or the temperature of the location where you chose to place the probe).

Features
--------
- Maximum / Minimum Temperature
The readings don't show the max/min temperature for the day. It only shows the max/min temperature *since these readings have been last reset*.

The Maximum / Minimum Temperature reading can be accessed with the right-most button on the front of the unit.

> When the button is pressed, lines (2) and (3) display the Maximum Indoor Temperature and Maximum Outdoor Temperature, respectively.

> Press the button a second time to access the Minimum Indoor Temperature and Minimum Outdoor Temperature.

> Press the button a third time to revert the display for lines (2) and (3) to the Indoor Temperature and Outdoor Temperature, respectively.

> Press and Hold the button to reset both the Maximum and the Minimum Temperatures.

- Alarm
The alarm is a little soft and chimes for just a minute. The time of the alarm can be accessed with the left-most button.

- Backlight
The backlight is bright and makes the LCD display easy to read in the dark or in dim lighting. The backlight can be accessed with the button in the middle.

- Degree F or Degree C
The temps can be displayed in either degree Fahrenheit or in degree Celsius (AKA degree Centigrade).

Conclusion
----------
The Oregon Scientific Thermometer and Clock is a durable piece of equipment. The controls are user-friendly and intuitive. Its large and easy-to-read LCD display helps you to easily read the indoor and outdoor temperatures. Definitely recommended!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My future brother-in-law and his wife got this for us for Christmas. I thought it would be a good comparison to the wireless LaCrosse I've been using.

Specifications:
+/- 2F for 32 to 104 F
+/- 4F for -8 to 122 F
+/- 6F for -58 to 158 F
Weight (excluding batteries): 3.17 oz / 90 grams

The unit is also a clock / alarm, but I us it more for a thermometer. The buttons on the front change the mode (alarm/clock), backlit, and min/max temp. The unit beeps each time a button is pressed.

I tested the unit with the external sensor indoors, located right next to the display. I read 69.6 degrees as the indoor, and 70.3 as outdoors. I compared this to my meat thermometer (which hopefully is fairly accurate, but for $10, who knows), which showed 70.0. I think this is fairly accurate, and it's within the 2F accuracy range. It's also pretty comparable to the range I found on the LaCrosse unit I also have.

The LCD display is a bit light, and can be hard to read from some angles and lighting, but this is a common problem across many LCD displays I've seen. It's easiest to read when it's slightly below eye level.

The LED backlight consists of two diodes on the left side of the unit (NOT a full panel backlight like in the photo). Reading the unit at night can be difficult, and the viewing angle is even more shallow.

The unit can be desk mounted or hung on a wall. The back of the unit has a stand, mounting hole, and several buttons to adjust the clock / alarm / settings.
on June 9, 2007
We wanted outdoor thermometer, because the large clay thermometer had broken after three days. This is so much nicer, because you can tell outdoor temperature right inside of the house. Neat, very accurate and yet inexpensive. Comes with 24 hour clock, alarm, too.
VINE VOICEon December 3, 2008
I bought this thermometer to monitor the temperature inside of a wine cooler. So far it has done an excellent job. The unit itself feels solid and sturdy. It takes two AAA batteries that are not included, and the compartment is easy to open.

Setting the clock and monitoring the temperatures is very easy - the instructions are clear but you really don't even need them to figure it out. The numbers on the LCD panel are nice and large and very easy to read. Switching among the functions is easy.

I also like the plastic pull-out stand feature so you can stand this unit up. It is sitting on top of the wine cooler and the "outside" probe is sitting inside of the cooler, measuring the temperature.

Compared to similarly-priced thermometers I've seen at Home Depot and Wal Mart, this Oregon Scientific unit is of much better quality.
on June 27, 2011
I bought 6 of these units to take comparison temperature readings on 6 different items simultaneously. First I connected all 6 probes to the same item, and discovered none of the units displayed the same temp, and to make matters worse, re-taking the measurements at close intervals showed the units unable to give consistent values for the same thing. If the readings were at least consistent, even if not all the same, I could have compensated, but it was not the case.

If you want to hook one up and have it tell you it's this or that temp, but you don't care if it isn't correct, go for it.

Unfortunate waste of time and money for me. I'm also surprised because I own several other OS products that I think are great. These units may just be factory 2nds or 3rds someone re-packaged, but I sent them all back as totally unusable for me.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 8, 2009
Tested with 5 other thermometers and was accurate plus/minus .5 degrees. Helped me in proving the accuracy of my readings with my landlord.

See 1 answered question