5.0 out of 5 stars Oregon Got It Right!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this light! I'm so happy to finally have just the right sunrise alarm clock. I've tried many, and granted, I'm picky, but I can honestly say that Oregon Scientific got this one right! This light works great and does not deserve it's low rating.

Published on January 14, 2011 by (: So Happy In Sonoma :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Close, but no cigar.
So, I did a bunch of research online before purchasing a sunrise clock. There are several dawn simulators on the market, from full-scale alarm clocks/reading lamps with bells and whistles like white noise, to timer/dimmer attachments that you simply attach to your own bedside lamp to get the same effect.

However, all the reviews I read were mixed. A lot of...
Published on July 31, 2010 by Lina

3.0 out of 5 stars Close, but no cigar., July 31, 2010
This review is from: Oregon Scientific WS902 I.wakeup Sunrise Clock, White (Health and Beauty)

However, all the reviews I read were mixed. A lot of customers mentioned poor quality buttons/casing, confusing interfaces, and features that randomly stopped working, or irreplaceable bulbs. This made me a bit gun shy, since all of these clocks seem to be in the $100+ price range.

When I discovered that there was a sunrise clock from Oregon Scientific, a company known for their quality, I was excited. Unfortunately, there were no reviews to be found, but I took a chance anyway. It turned out to be a mistake, sadly.

I've purchased two of these clocks to date. The first one was the British/Hong Kong model, because their US model was unavailable. I used a proper voltage converter in order to run the clock. It seemed fine...for about five minutes. Then the bulb refused to light up. After playing with it for a while, I discovered that a poor fit between the [included] light bulb and the bulb socket in the lamp was causing them not to make good contact, causing the bulb to flicker out and not stay lit. I tried a new bulb, but the problem persisted. After shoring up the plastic part of the socket with a piece electrical tape so the bulb would fit tighter, it did stay lit. But I was, understandably, uncomfortable with having tape in there indefinitely.

Nevertheless, I wanted to try it out for a few days and see how the rest of the features were before sending it back. And, for the most part, they worked flawlessly. Nature sounds were great. Sundown feature (sleep mode) was great. Radio worked fine. Motion-activated snooze worked. And, most importantly, the sunrise feature on the alarm worked.

The only problem? At one particular stage of the dimmer cycle, the bulb would flicker uncontrollably for about a minute as it went through its sunrise or sundown mode. My husband and I called it the Disco Clock. The flashing was so annoying that it basically canceled out the soothing effect of the sunrise/sundown feature. Bummer. In addition, when I looked at the return policy online and discovered that I needed to get a "return reference number" before shipping it back, I both telephoned and emailed them to get this...and still haven't heard back. This was a week and a half ago.

Despite the flaws, I still really wanted this product, and I thought perhaps this was a fluke, or had something to do with my voltage converter. Then, days after I gave up on my UK version clock, the US clock came back in stock. I ordered it, hoping that it wouldn't have the same problems as the previous one.

I've been using it for a week. The bulb, thank goodness, fits the socket just fine and has good contact, so it stays consistently lit. However, there is a similar problem with the dimmer cycle. Except, instead of flashing/flickering on and off like Disco Clock, at the very last setting of the dimmer before shutting off completely, the bulb lights up to FULL INTENSITY. And then shuts off.

This means, in the morning with the sunrise feature, the first light to come on in the room is FULL INTENSITY 60 WATT BULB. Then, a moment later, it switches to the next setting on the dimmer, which is a very dim light, and continues up gradually to full brightness from there. It also means that, when using the sundown feature, I start to drift off to sleep near the end of the dimming cycle, only to be BLASTED AWAKE by the full intensity bulb for about a minute before it shuts off. Awesome!

I could have maybe lived with this, given that all the other features worked fine. I was considering just keeping it...until today, when I realized that, inexplicably, the nature sounds won't come on anymore, after having worked perfectly. (I really like those damn crickets. They help me fall asleep.)

I haven't done anything to this clock. Never dropped it, didn't mess with it in any way. I have no explanation for why the features are so buggy, other than that, apparently, it's really hard for a company to combine a dimmer switch with a timer on a light bulb. I have no other explanation. Given that I had similar problems with two different clocks, I guess it's not just a fluke.

This clock was such a disappointment, the only reason I'm giving it 2 stars instead of 1 is because the buttons and casing felt sturdy and high-quality, it has lots of features, replaceable bulb, and the interface is good. Too bad the *most important feature* is so badly flawed. If it worked, this could be the best dawn simulator on the market. Close, but no cigar.

---

Edited to add: Totally randomly, after I used this thing for a few more weeks, the dimmer cycle straightened itself out, and the crickets (and other nature sounds) returned to function. The motion-activated snooze stopped working, but I'll take it. It works well enough now, so I'll upgrade to a 3-star review, but I'm still disappointed that I spent a lot of money on this thing (got it from Oregon Scientific itself for $130 before the price dropped here significantly) and had to go through 2 clocks. One of which I'm still having trouble returning.

1.0 out of 5 stars Light malfunctions, flickers - product quality problems, August 26, 2010
G. Romero (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
First the clock is great, but as the other review stated - the light doesn't last. Same symptoms as the other review with flickering and flashes. It works literally for 5 minutes, then the problem is exposed. The product idea is great, but very poorly executed when the main feature - gradual light doesn't even function right. Moving on to try another brand, buy at your own risk - you are warned!

1.0 out of 5 stars Science and technology FAIL!, October 15, 2010
I was very disappointed to find that my new Oregon Scientific i.Wakeup Sunrise Clock (Model WS902) is defective. Unlike the previous reviewers, my clock exhibited all of the lighting issues straight out of the box - it never functioned correctly at all.

The lamp just does not dim properly - starting at full intensity (no "gradual sunrise!!") in "alarm" mode (it stayed this way for the full 20 minutes - never faded to start the sun-up cycle, even after toying with the various lamp dimming settings which are conveniently "stored" for the next time you turn on your lamp). Then the gently fading evening light in sleep mode quickly switched over to * full intensity and full volume * FOR 3 MINUTES at the end of sleep mode before it shut itself off into complete darkness and silence. Very disruptive and not at all in-line with its intent. In addition, the digits are sort of oblong and awkwardly shaped, so reading the clock from any distance is a bit difficult.

The performance of the I.wakeup Sunrise Clock lends to neither a gentle nor restful way to wake up or fall asleep. I am wholeheartedly disappointed, as the concept of awaking to gentle light is immensely appealing. This clock is definitely going back, since it never worked correctly to begin with. Hopefully Oregon Scientific will get it right- I've been very pleased with the rest of their product line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oregon Got It Right!, January 14, 2011

But Buyer Beware: I bought this from an Amazon vendor and had the exact same problem the other reviewer described -- the pop of light at the beginning of the sunrise and at the end of the sunset. It was very jarring, not at all relaxing, and was the reason I returned it, despite loving it otherwise.

I took a chance and ordered another one (this time buying it directly from Oregon Scientific in case this one went bad after the first 30 days) and I'm so glad I did because the second clock works perfect!

The buttons are a little sticky, but there are just enough of them (not too many and not too few), and they only operate one function each. (This a feature other clocks like this lack -- the trend seems to be less buttons that do more. That looks clean and minimalistic, but it's not functional or easy to figure out in a sleepy haze in a dark room without my glasses on.)

The radio has very precise reception (88.5 for example looks like 88.50) and the sound is good.

The amber light is very pretty and calming. I don't think I could ever go back to an alarm clock with a red or green display now.

And the low LCD display setting is very visable and the high is not blindingly bright.

I really love the nature sounds. The crickets are wonderful, as are the birds that chirp, as one of the back up wake up sound options.

The light stays on for 60 minutes after the set alarm time, which, to me, is important in a sunrise clock, because the sun shouldn't shut off just because I hit the snooze button.

Oh, and the snooze feature is very cool. You just wave your hand 3 inches from the front of the clock and you're snoozing. No buttons to fumble for and press. It's a motion-sensor snooze! And it works really well!

The light bulb is replaceable and there's a battery back up in case of a power outage.

You can even plug in an ipod. (Just unplug the connector cable when not in use, of you can use the radio or nature sounds features.)

Like I said, I LOVE this clock. It's well worth the risk and deserves much better ratings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Same problem with light that other users reported: FIXED!, February 16, 2011
I took a chance and ordered this clock in spite of other reviewers' comments that the light doesn't operate correctly. Sure enough, from the minute I plugged it in I'm experiencing the same problems they reported. When put the lamp on "sleep" it does gradually dim at the end of the sleep period -- then flashes to FULL brightness before turning off again. When the wake-up process started the next morning, the light inexplicably flashed on to full intensity right away (I know this because a phone call woke me up just beforehand). It neither dimmed nor brightened, then just as inexplicably turned off after a short period. A few minutes later the light gradually turned on just the way it's supposed to, and the birds chimed in after 20 minutes just like they're supposed to. But I was already wide awake and grumpy about the harsh flashing waking, so it didn't do me much good.

All the other features on this clock are very nice. The amber numbers are readable but not jarring on the dim setting, the light does have a sunny glow, the nature sounds don't sound too fake or artificial although they are of course repetitive. My only other complaint is that the radio still experiences static on my favorite station, no matter where I place the external antenna -- so I can't wake up to the radio.

I like all the other features on this product enough that I'm going to exchange it and hope the replacement doesn't have the same problem... if anything changes I will update the review.

UPDATED: I received a replacement lamp from Amazon.com and have had it for about three days now. So far, it doesn't have the problem the previous lamp had, so I am encouraged. I really, really, really like this clock; the light is pleasant and I find myself waking up peacefully and much better-rested than I did with my cell phone alarm. So I'm going to give this product four stars. I'd give it five, but there is still a dismaying amount of static in my favorite radio stations (which come in clearly on my other radio), no matter where I place the antenna. Still... fabulous product and occasionally the radio does work okay.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor design, poor quality, November 20, 2011
Frederick Charette (Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
A great idea wasted.
Impossible to operate the buttons with one hand.
And major quality issues: bought 2, had to return 3, and the ones I have are still not fully functional...
Really too bad since the idea of a progressive wakeup is grounded in solid science.
Use a recent iphone/ipod with 99cents sleepcycle software, you'll save $100 to achieve a better outcome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Second time's a charm, May 5, 2011
I love this clock! I looked at all of the sunrise clocks, and this was the only one with all of the features that I wanted. However, the reviews concerned me. The first one I got from Amazon had the flickering problem that others reported. I sent it back as defective and the replacement one Amazon sent was perfect. The feature combo I wanted that this clock had was the sunset feature, gradually increasing nature sounds during the sunrise (instead of a one volume obnoxious beep), a back up battery, a replaceable bulb, and the sunrise light staying on during snooze. I wasn't sure about touchless, hand-waving snooze feature but I've never accidentally activated the snooze so the feature is better than I expected. And the nature sounds turn on in the last 2 minutes or so before your set alarm time, but they increase in volume until you turn it off or hit snooze, so you can't sleep through it. I wake up more relaxed, more rested, and in a better mood than I ever did with normal alarms. I love this product!

2.0 out of 5 stars Works great for me-not anymore, February 22, 2011
Ashley (Belmar, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I would give this a 3.5, but I bumped it up to 4. Maybe Oregon Scientific made improvements, because I don't have the problems with the light that others do. But it is a little touchy. If the alarm isn't set right, the light does come on to full brightness for me instead of gradually getting brighter, which I found out while testing it. But when everything is correct, it works perfectly for both the alarm and the sleep mode. I did have a problem with the display not showing the whole radio station number, but it turned out to be a problem with how I had reattached the shade (that's probably the worst thing about it, how hard it is take that darn thing off and put it back on, and how the pressure on the LED is touchy). And when I first started to program the time, etc. and tested it, the bird alarm wouldn't stop, even if I turned on the radio or tried to use a different sound - it just kept going like a broken record. But again, I think I caused it by doing too many test scenarios at once. Thankfully when I pressed the reset button and reprogrammed everything, it was fine and has been working great for the past 2 months. And if something goes really wrong, I'll send it back under the year warranty.

So that said, I absolutely love this alarm. My fiance hates the light, but I feel so much healthier and less groggy all day. It has everything I was looking for - the light of course, dim display setting, nature sounds, motion sensor snooze, and even iPod capabilities, though I wish it were a charger too. The yellow/orange was weird at first and is absolutely unacceptable on the high setting, but on low it is kind of soothing, not like those harsh reds or blues that keep you awake, and it matches the FIOS box :) It's definitely not the best manufacturing though, as is evident by the problems, but if it were it would probably cost like $300 (I would buy that clock if it existed, as long as I never had to buy another). But as it is, I'm happy to have found something that has what I was looking for and that has been working great overall!

Edit 4/1/14: power went out twice yesterday, and it no longer works. It's not a complicated electronic, so I can only assume it's just poor quality. All the other stuff in my house still works fine, including the 20+ year old alarm clocks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use even though there are so many options, October 26, 2011
I really like this clock/lamp. It does so many things but it is still fairly easy to use. I am still terrible at getting up in the morning but I am looking forward to using this in the winter when it is darker in the morning. A few of the features I really like are:

The motion sensor snooze, it is not easy to accidentally turn off and it means that you don't have to touch the lamp possibly pushing it backwards.
The dusk simulation is helpful when I read in bed it is a nice way to remind you that you should start to go to sleep.
Even though there are lots of buttons, they are all very clear in what they do, no clicking until you find the right function.
The display is nice and clear and you can see exactly what time it is, when the alarm is set and what type of alarm is set all in one glance.
The display is a decent size too

A few things that could be better:

A better antenna on the radio would be good. Even a socket for adding a better one yourself.
I would have liked this to be dual voltage (I am in Australia and need a step down transformer to make this work) This would expand their market.
The nature sounds are not really all that useful and on a very short loop.
The maximum volume of the radio is not that loud.

I am still glad that I bought this. I have not been able to find anything quite like it here in Australia and the delivery was earlier than expected even with the standard shipping.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall I like it, April 21, 2011
I've had this sunrise clock for 3 weeks, and I like it a lot. It took me a long time to decide which clock to get, because it seemed like there were flaws or mixed reviews for each one. Here are my thoughts:

Pros: Good shape - taller than wide, so it doesn't take up too much room on the bedside table; pleasant light with 20 brightness increments; has both sunrise and "sunset" if you put the light on sleep function (though I don't really use the sunset feature as much as I thought I would); option to have back up wake up sound be radio, beep, or birds chirping; has 4 nature sounds for white noise, relaxation or sleep; has several different control buttons for a more logical set-up than trying to scroll through one or 2 buttons for everything.

Cons: First, the nature sounds are pretty lame. They are on an obvious 5 second loop. In the clock's defense, it is primarily a sunrise light, and the sounds are extras. But it would be nice to have better sounds. Second, the clock has worked perfectly for the 3 weeks that I've had it EXCEPT one morning in the second week the light came on as set but the birds did not chirp. The volume was up and the setting showed that birds were supposed to chirp, but it did not work. It has worked every morning since then, but this one fluke made me not trust the clock. If it's really important, I set a back-up alarm clock too.

Overall, as long as the one malfunction was a one-time fluke and it doesn't happen again, I love it and would recommend it.

Oregon Scientific WS902 I.wakeup Sunrise Clock, White