5.0 out of 5 stars Get Rid of Diseases and Insects Safely
Bravo! Finally a book that not only tells gardeners how to avoid getting diseases and undesirable insects in their gardens, but how to get rid of them safely.
Published on October 12, 2000 by Rebecca Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Complex
The book was very good from a technical standpoint but more than I wanted or needed. I was looking more for the home remedies to my garden problems. Things that I would normally have in the kitchen, such as soap, garlic, pepper, etc. It did have some of those remedies but there were many more technically more complex and commercially available fixes to my garden problems...
Published on July 28, 2008 by Robert M. Zippay

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Rid of Diseases and Insects Safely, October 12, 2000
This review is from: The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Insect and Disease Control: A Complete Problem-Solving Guide to Keeping Your Garden and Yard Healthy Without Chemicals (Paperback)
Many books addressing insect and disease control problems would have you believing gardening is chemical warfare! Following their advice, I acquired an arsenal of chemicals in my garage that would kill virtually any creepy crawly thing that dared slither into my garden.
What these books failed to tell me is the more you use these chemicals the more you need to use them. In a sense, your garden becomes addicted to them, as they kill all or most of the natural organisms in the environment that help your plants combat natural occurring bacteria, viruses and insects. Eventually your plants' only defense to such pathogens is your habitual spraying.As The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Insect and Disease Control explains, if left to its' own devices, nature will frequently correct the imbalances that caused the disease or insect problem long before any serious damage is done. This book clearly explains how plants naturally defend themselves against pathogens and how we can help them without harming the environment. It's no-nonsense, common sense approach to gardening makes you wonder what the human race was thinking of when we created all those dangerous chemicals.Every gardener wants his or her garden to be perfect. However, sometimes we get carried away, forgetting that earthly gardens are not sanitized portraits of heaven. This book brings us back to reality and reminds us to enjoy nature, not fight it.
This is definitely one of the best gardening books I have read in a long time!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great reference., July 9, 2001
This is a overall a great book. One of the easiest to use I have found. The only thing which bothers me (and it is a minor detail) is that for each plant on which aphids are a pest, the book merely says "aphids" (green, black, white, red). There are many types of aphids, and it would be nice to know if I am looking for black, green, red, etc on a particular plant. Also for some species more aggressive management is needed than for others, but this book makes no distinction.
However, if you are considering this book, don't let that very minor detail stop you. This is definitely one that should be on every gardner's shelf! It is a wonderful reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good listing of what goes wrong and what to do, June 16, 2006
I love the listing of each plant species in this book, and the lavish pictures of pests and diseases. You can take this out to the peach tree or the magnolia and figure out what is wrong.

We use an organic lawn service and I do organic gardening (what of it I do, not much...no time) but it's essential to us not only as "green" folks but because I am chemically sensitive. I just can't have sprays or chemicals around me. I think this book is also wonderful because these chemicals are not to be lightly handled, and if you are pressed for time, it's better not to be careless with harmful pesticides and herbicides and just go for the more gentle organic way.

While learning how to control pests the organic way takes a lot of time (because you learn to plant and cultivate in such a way as to mitigate them and find an equilibrium with your local environment) this is a wonderful reference book and better than most others I've read.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended by Illinois Mastergardeners, October 14, 2003
Paul's Nana (Illinois, United States) - See all my reviews
This book is recommended by the Illinois Mastergardeners as a great reference book/diagnosis tool to have on hand. It includes an encyclopedia of 200 popular garden plants with care instructions and potential problems, an insect identification guide, a disease symptom guide and organic control practices and methods. I wish I had remembered I had it on my shelf when a "fungus" hit my tomatoe plants earlier this year. Everyone at the community gardens tomatoes looked like they had fusarium wilt. I eventually found out it has been happening for several years now. Now the search is on to find resistant cultivars because the fungicidal spray that was recommended to me (locally) did nothing and was applied after the fact instead of as a preventative at the beginning. I am moving this book off the shelf and next to my 'reading' chair to help plan my vegetable garden for next year. Forewarned is forearmed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, concise and informative book on organic gardening., February 5, 1999
By A Customer
I had checked out the book first from the library and now I am buying it because it is such a good reference book for organic gardening. It is a great "how to" book for beginners or for anyone who wants to solve pest problems without all the chemicals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable source of information for a healthy garden., March 2, 2006
P. Warfield (Naperville, IL) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best gardening books that I have used. As a Master Gardener, I find this book has the most complete information on insect and disease control without the use of expensive chemicals. The book is very well organized and I find helpful in identifying most gardening problems that arise and answers for a safe and healthy garden. The detailed pictures of the diseases and insects are great and very, very helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super compilation of info, March 31, 2003
Debbie A Dallas Kennedy (Bryan, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
I have lots of organic gardening books and this is one of the best overall. It is detailed, informative and written in an easy to understand manner. Great as a first book for the budding organic gardener.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great descriptive and helpful book, March 27, 2001
"rosemary04" (Buenos Aires (Argentina)) - See all my reviews
Not knowing anything about this book ( as I live in SouthAmerica) I bought it from Amazon, thanks to others reviews.And it is now one of my favourite books on the shelf! It has plant data entries as well as it helps us to recognize pests, and different deseases in our plants and gardens. It has a wonderful insect identification guide, which covers from trips to beetles, mites, and other crop damaging pests. And it suggest all the organical methods to help and control plant deseases.This is just a short review, the book is really useful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Help with learning what is wrong -- and what to do about it, November 7, 2002
"linlawless" (New Brunswick, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I find this book to be quite user-friendly and helpful in identifying different diseases and pests that are affecting my garden. It is also helpful as I plan what to grow because I can decide which varieties are most likely to be successful with relatively little pest and disease control effort on my part.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Book I Grab to Solve Problems, June 8, 2003
Carol Mcsheehy (Athol, ID United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great book and the first I grab when I need to get information or to solve a problem. If I could only have one book on organic solutions I'd pick this one hands down.

Rate and Discover Movies