Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control: A Complete Guide to Maintaining a Healthy Garden and Yard the Earth-Friendly Way (Rodale Organic Gardening Books (Paperback))
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on July 6, 2010
I have been trying my hand at organic gardening for a couple of years now and I am learning, quite quickly, that it is NOT easy! I am so glad that books like The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control are around to help poor souls like me who just don't have much of a green thumb!

There are 4 parts to this book. Part 1 deals with building a healthy garden so that you can grow healthy plants. This section deals with composting, cover crops, and applying healthy supplements such as seaweed spray. (I have never heard of seaweed spray! I am going to do some research on that!) It also covers topics such as choosing resistant strains of plants and planting at the right time of year. Even a week or two change in when you plant can help avoid certain pests. I do wish there was more information on heirloom plant varieties, it seems like the hybrid plants offer more resistance to disease and the fewer diseases, the fewer treatments necessary, however I love heirloom plants for their uniqueness.

The second section deals with Symptoms and Solutions and the third is Identifying Pests and Diseases. These are very informative sections that takes each individual plant and describes every possible problem you could have with it. You can search by plant type (begonia, carrots, etc) or disease type (fungal, viral, bug, etc) There are some not so pretty pictures to help you identify your garden pest. I discovered that the spooky looking critter on my grape leaves is a leaf hopper. Now, I just move on to the next section on how to get rid of him!

The last section is an extensive collection of how to get rid of your unwanted pest or disease. It includes biological controls, organic sprays and dusts, making your own homemade solutions, and planting things that repel other insects. This is a very thorough chapter and ends with a resource section that you can use to help find the ingredients that are mentioned in the book. Which is a great thing because none of the stores around here I have looked in carry diatomaceous earth and that seems to be a popular pest control method.

I highly recommend this book to anyone trying to grow an organic garden. It is not easy to do but this book will go a long way in making your garden more productive and help you spot issues early before they get out of control.

Disclaimer: I received one copy of this book in order to write my review. All opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.
44 comments|152 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2010
I have been needing a book like this because my yard is filled with all sorts of plants from perennial flowers to fruit trees to annal vegetables to succulents. While i haven't quite formed a total relationship with this book, I am happy with the ability to look things up by plant or by pest. There could be more pest photos, but the ones they do have are very good and in color. I would like to see all stages of life for each pest.
on February 17, 2011
I got several books from the library to decide which i wanted to buy and this one was the best book out of all of them i looked at on the subject. Gives you a lot of great information in an easy to reference guide. Awesome book!
on March 23, 2010
I has been a gardener for more than 25 years, and an organic gardener for about 10 years. This is a great book where you can find a lot answers to problems related to the diseases of plants and how to control them using organic methods. Great reference book!
on August 6, 2010
I found this book very informative with excellent color pictures to help me identify good and bad bugs in my garden, which is why I bought the book.

It also has a ton of information about different diseases of plants. I have grabbed this book several times this summer to figure out what was ailing my plants.

The book is definately one that will get used over and over at my house!
on April 11, 2010
I use this book mostly as reference material. When I am curious about something happening involving a particular plant I can just look up the plant and am likely to find a possible diagnosis. It also has nice color pictures and information on insects.
on May 25, 2011
The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control: A Complete Guide to Maintaining a Healthy Garden and Yard the Earth-Friendly Way (Rodale Organic Gardening Books) is a gardeners "must have" reference book. It is very informative and helpful, and one of the first books I've read that stresses the importance of soil properties and clean tool practices. So glad I bought this and now have it to refer to!
on July 31, 2013
This book help me learn the bad and the good in bugs. Which ones to crush and which ones help. How to prevent, control, and stop the bad of diseases and insects. This is a great go to book and every gardener should have it. The book has good pictures for an easy identification. The book is really easy to flip though. You can go either by plant to find what attacks it or you can go straight to bugs to see what damage it does. My only complaint is the limitation of bugs it covers. There have been bugs in the garden where I go to look it up in the book and it wasn't there like the bean leaf beetle, but no doubt either way I would still buy it because of how useful the information is. Hope this helps :)
on April 4, 2013
this book has a lot of good information. i was looking for specific information on fungal gnats, the organic way. i was disappointed after getting the book on kindle as it did not even mention the fungal gnats. it does have a variety of ways to look up information, such as by plant, disease or symptoms, and includes some pretty good photo's. i was looking for something a little easier to use and something for a specific pest. i will use the book when i have to.
on July 5, 2015
If you are a organic gardener and are not interested in chemicals, this is the book for you. I have not seen any mention of chemicals so far. This book starts off with information about a healthy soil. It talks about composting and cover crops to get healthy soil. From that point, it starts going into details by vegetable, fruit or nut. Once you get to a specific plant, it talks about the culture, problems for that plant, how to solve the problem organically and to avoid the problem in the future.

This book has quite a lot of pictures of pests and diseases. While some pictures are small, a magnifying glass will help since the pictures have a lot of detail Most should be fine without a magnifying glass.

This book has a lot of information in it for a fairly small book. The font used is good enough that I can read it without resorting to using a magnifying glass. If you have vision problems like I do, this should be readable.