5.0 out of 5 stars Very great and healthy milk
Published on January 14, 2010 by D. A. J.

1.0 out of 5 stars Contains Carrageenan which promotes tumors in the body
I noticed this particular ingredient in the back of this product when I was going to purchase it at Costco: "Carrageenan"
I remember reading something negative about it so I Google it and I found a number of studies describing its toxicity and negative side effects.
Published 11 months ago by AP

5.0 out of 5 stars Very great and healthy milk, January 14, 2010
This review is from: Organic Valley, Lowfat Chocolate Milk (1% Milkfat), 8-Ounce Aseptic Cartons (Pack of 12) (Grocery)
Organic Valley is known as one of the more reputable organic milk companies. I was very happy to find the product here on Amazon as it is very hit or miss finding this in my local grocery stores. The price is also cheaper here than in my local store. There servings are a great size, just right for a children's snack. The chocolate is my favorite as well as one of my little ones. I love that when I need a "chocolate fix" I can grab one of these and not feel guilty. The taste and quality are great. The shelf life is around 4 months in the ones I have received. I love that I can get them delivered regularly through the subscribe and save program. We purchase all 4 flavors and my kids drink them all. The box of 12 does not take up a lot of shelf space, which is really good. While they taste best when cold, they can remain in the pantry, on the shelf, etc. with no problem. Its nice that I can have a healthy drink for my kids when we are on the go (although they should not be kept in the hot sun).
Just a really great product that is relatively healthy, taste very good, has good sturdy packaging, and the company is repuatable and honest with their labeling (something that isn't true for many "organic" companies).

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta love 21st Century technology -- and this GREAT tasting milk, January 29, 2010
*Auntie L* "color & pigment specialist; water... (A few hundred yards from the watery and rocky western edge of North America) - See all my reviews
1% fat. Low sugar. REAL sugar instead of corn syrup. Real cocoa instead of chocolate flavor. Perfect lunchbox, purse, and briefcase size.

and did I mention, Great Flavor!

Yes, I love chocolate milk. And I won't be guilted out of it by the diet police. This is better than any of the over-sweetened whole milk varieties available at the grocery store, AND it is organic and from cows who have not been slathered with growth hormones and anti-biotics.

2 of these for breakfast give me all the calcium I need to help avoid the growing-shorter-grandma syndrom that runs in my family -- plus I'm being treated to something wonderful!

1.0 out of 5 stars Contains Carrageenan which promotes tumors in the body, September 29, 2013
AP (Virginia, US) - See all my reviews
In summary: Promotes tumors, intestinal ulcerations and neoplasms and inflammatory bowel disease.

45 publicly funded studies conclude that "the potential role of carrageenan in the development of gastrointestinal malignancy and inflammatory bowel disease requires careful reconsideration of the advisability of its continued use as a food additive".

Please read it yourself, the NIH has listed several of these studies. This is one:

==========================================================
Review of Harmful Gastrointestinal Effects of Carrageenan in Animal Experiments
Joanne K. Tobacman
College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA

In this article I review the association between exposure to carrageenan and the occurrence of colonic ulcerations and gastrointestinal neoplasms in animal models.

Although the International Agency for Research on Cancer in 1982 identified sufficient evidence for the carcinogenicity of degraded carrageenan in animals to regard it as posing a carcinogenic risk to humans, carrageenan is still used widely as a thickener, stabilizer, and texturizer in a variety of processed foods prevalent in the Western diet.

I reviewed experimental data pertaining to carrageenan's effects with particular attention to the occurrence of ulcerations and neoplasms in association with exposure to carrageenan. In addition, I reviewed from established sources mechanisms for production of degraded carrageenan from undegraded or native carrageenan and data with regard to carrageenan intake.

Review of these data demonstrated that exposure to undegraded as well as to degraded carrageenan was associated with the occurrence of intestinal ulcerations and neoplasms. This association may be attributed to contamination of undegraded carrageenan by components of low molecular weight, spontaneous metabolism of undegraded carrageenan by acid hydrolysis under conditions of normal digestion, or the interactions with intestinal bacteria.

Although in 1972, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration considered restricting dietary carrageenan to an average molecular weight > 100,000, this resolution did not prevail, and no subsequent regulation has restricted use. Because of the acknowledged carcinogenic properties of degraded carrageenan in animal models and the cancer-promoting effects of undegraded carrageenan in experimental models, the widespread use of carrageenan in the Western diet should be reconsidered.
Environ Health Perspect 109:983-994 (2001).
==========================================================

I contacted the vendor to inquire of this, below is their answer:

==============================================
Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response Via Email (Nancy Bruland) - 10/02/2013 04:55 PM
Dear Al,

Thank you for contacting Organic Valley.

For quite some time we've been actively seeking to reformulate our cream, chocolate milk, eggnog and soy milks in order to eliminate the need for carrageenan. Our award-winning eggnog, for example, was carrageenan-free in time for the 2012 holiday season! And as of September 2013, our half gallon and quart chocolate milk is also carrageenan-free, as well as our soy milk milk is not far behind (October, 2013) ! Please note that our traditionally pasteurized heavy whipping cream has always been produced without carrageenan. We're working hard so that the small number of other products in our line that use carrageenan won't be far behind. [...]

We want to let you know that we're working very hard on the reformulation process and that we've engaged this effort not only because consumers want simpler foods with less ingredients, but because it fits with our overall philosophy of producing food the most wholesome way possible.

Thank you again for your comments. Please be assured that we hear you and hope to give you what you desire very soon!

Sincerely,

The Consumer Relations Team
CROPP Cooperative
Organic Valley/Organic Prairie Brands
1-888-444-6455
==============================================

So I think there is hope and eventually this product will reach the quality level that organic consumers are expecting, however and until that happens, evidence tells us that the toxicity levels created by carrageenan make it extremely dangerous for consumption and in my opinion, irrational even thinking about giving it to your children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than the grocery store, January 22, 2009
Thanks Amazon! And thanks to Organic Valley for a LOW FAT shelf stable milk that tastes great! I always have these handy packs around, and this is the only brand I know of with a low fat option. I started using Parmalat in Europe, but when the company filed for bankruptcy in '04 it became almost impossible to find in the USA....and no one filled the need for UHT milk. Who stepped up to the plate? The Organic milk companies! This size is just enough for a day's worth of coffee drinkers.

3.0 out of 5 stars a good covenience, March 17, 2010
The product is good, not too sweet.
OValley has been able to maintain their quality. They products taste better than Horizon. My kids love vanilla, strawberry, chocolate. Its useful while travelling, an emergency snack in the car.

I do find it expensive at 15.99 .... recently i got the chocolate flavor at costco for $6.
The other thing i did not like was that Amazon sent me a pack of milk with an expiry date of April 24. THis was at the at end of Feb/the beginning of march. I expected a fresh product .... that is why i cancelled the subscription too.

3.0 out of 5 stars good product, no way to know expiration date, November 4, 2007
I like this milk. It's great to take along for after a run (didn't you know chocolate milk is THE post-workout recovery drink?!). My kids like this milk too and since it doesn't need refrigeration, it's handy to bring along. My only issue is that there is no way to know what the "Best Before" date will be when I order it. My latest shipment is Best Before Dec. 1. (about 6 weeks after receiving this delivery)That's a little tight for me to drink 24 little cartons of milk.

By the way, you really do need to shake the carton vigorously or else there can be some sediment. I like that you can use the straw or open the foil top and drink it from the carton without the straw. I also like that I can recycle the cartons.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for work, September 25, 2010
I buy these to use at work--I like milk in my tea but don't want to take up a lot of space in my mini fridge with a big carton. these containers are the perfect size for adding milk to a couple cups of tea. I prefer the organic valley 8 ounce containers to the horizon 8 ounce--the horizon says that it needs to be shaken before drinking, which is really hard if you are planning on finishing the container later. and yes, you can open it up, use some, put the rest back in the fridge, and safely consume it over a couple of days (at least I have never had a problem).

I have never had a problem ordering this from amazon--the date is always good and it is priced competitively.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it!, January 26, 2011
Laura B (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Chocolate milk is one of my special treats that I don't usually buy very often. I saw these on an Amazon special and decided to pick them up partly because I love chocolate milk and partly because my friend's parents own a dairy farm that is part of the Organic Valley co-op. I like knowing that my purchase is helping the family owned farms in our country--and specifically that I know one of those families.

The milk is awesome! It is sweet, but not overly sweet. I've also tried Horizon, which I find to be a little too sweet compared to OV. The expiration date was 3-4 months in the future on the box I received, so it was fresh. I now have it on Subscribe & Save along with the plain 1% milk from OV. They are nice to have when I need a quick pick-me-up and I'm also pregnant and in need of plenty of calcium, so these work great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Convenient, taste good, July 30, 2009
It tastes good and rich. This is my first aseptic milk purchase. The only thing is when I received my package, it's about 3 months from the expiration date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and oh so handy!, October 25, 2009
C. D. Foster "fostercd3" (Olympia, WA United States) - See all my reviews
Absolutely delicious and super handy shelf-stable asceptic lowfat organic milk. Saves time and gas money when I'm out of milk and but need a cup or two; an easy way to live a "greener" life by not driving unnecessarily. In the Olympia area, the cartons can also be recycled; check to see if they can in your area.

These little cartons have earned a permanent spot in my pantry, in fact I've signed up for Amazon's subscriber service where they will automatically send out a box of them at an interval I chose. What could be more convenient?

Rate and Discover Movies