on May 25, 2013
My wife purchased this for me for my birthday from Amazon. I love this watch. And I am beginning to understand the near cult-like following Orient watches have.

The watch came in a nice gift box from Long Island Watch. And I must say the watch is well-built. It has a nice solid feel to it I appreciate. The bezel and sides are a nice lightly brushed stainless steel. The space between the lugs is polished, but you have to really look to notice it. It has an unsigned, polished, stainless screw down crown (the little knob thing on the side you use to set the time and date.) The crown screws on fairly smoothly for a watch of this price. The screw down crown helps it achieve its water resistance rating of 100 meters, which should be good enough for snorkeling, but probably not scuba. The flat mineral crystal is perfect after nearly three weeks of constant wearing.

The printing on the dial is high-quality. And the semigloss black is very attractive. The center section of the dial has a radial sunburst effect and the outer section has a brushed pattern that is circular with the sweep of the hands. This is a very, very subtle effect that I saw only on close inspection. This is a detail that you rarely find in a watch of this price.

The Aviator Nav-B style dial is supremely readable with the white hands and numerals, and black dial. Even in the lowest of light, I can still make out the minute marks even though they aren't lumed (glow-in-the-dark). When there is no light, the green colored lume is fantastic! The hour and minute hands are brightly lumed, as well as the numerals, and five minute markers. The inner circle and hour numerals are not lumed. The seconds hand is not lumed as well. The lume lasts about seven hours. Though, after seven hours, it is considerably weaker, it is still pretty readable.

But in the morning, if there is just a little light, you don't need the lume to be able to read the dial. It's no wonder why this dial style was developed for aviators during WWII. They are very, very easy to read in all situations. I just love the way the hands end in very fine points. It is very satisfying to me that the minute hand precisely lines up on the minute marks when the second hand hits the center of the twelve o'clock position. I had to work at setting this up. But once set, it stays that way. Ok, maybe I'm a little/lot anal, but not all my watches can do that. Also, to speak of the quality of the watch, the width of the end of the minute hand is exactly the width of the small minute marks on the dial. I absolutely love that small detail!

The band is a very nice, thick, black leather band with black stitching. It's about 4 mm or so thick. I have a 7 3/4 inch wrist and the band gives me a couple extra holes. I was worried that it wasn't going to fit, but it does. The band is still breaking in after a couple weeks of wear, but it has never been uncomfortable to wear and should just get better as time goes on. The lug width is 22 mm, so finding a replacement strap, should you choose, will be a snap. I'm thinking about putting it on a black and gray or black and red NATO or Zulu to dress it down on the weekends. Maybe something like this 22mm James Bond Grey / Red Nylon Nato Ballistic Military Watch Band Strap G-10.

Speaking of dressing it down, I find it is easily dressy enough for the office, especially with the original band. It works with a suit and tie, or just dress shirt and slacks. It's a little too dressy for me for just jeans, but that's just my "fashion impaired" opinion. :)

This watch has Orient's ER2A movement (the guts, the gears and all that makes the watch keep time.) This is a non-handwinding, non-hacking automatic winding movement. In plain English this means that you have to shake the watch a little bit to get it to start working, and once you put it on, it automatically winds itself whenever you move. No battery needed, but you just can't stop moving for more than about forty hours or it will wind down and stop. The non-hacking part means that the second hand does not stop when you pull the crown out. This can make it a little difficult to set the time accurately with atomic time. However, it is capable of "back hacking" to precisely set the time. This means that if you rotate the crown ever so slightly "against" the flow of the second hand you can get it to stop. It takes some fiddling to do it. But, if you're like me and want your watch set exactly on time, the extra effort doing this is worth it.

The spec sheet that comes with the watch says the watch should be able to keep time +25sec/-15secs per day. I've found that mine runs about +12 secs per day on the arm. This is well within specs and is respectable for an automatic watch of this price range. People spend thousands on the big name Swiss watches that keep time to within +/-2 seconds a day. So, in my opinion +12 seconds is quite acceptable. For you watch guys (you know who you are): dial up +12, dial down +15, crown up +2, crown down +25/secs per day. The power reserve is about 40 hours, so that lets me leave this watch on the night stand over the weekend without it winding down and stopping. (I do give it a little shake on Sunday just in case.) Set on edge, over the weekend the watch only gains 4 secs in two days. Your experience will more than likely not be the same as mine as no two automatic watches behave the same. Such is the nature of the beast and why "watch guys" prefer automatics. It's an interactive experience. :)

So I do love this watch a lot, but here are some small nitpicks I have with it: 1) the date window seem out of proportion with the rest of the face. It seems too small. 2) the fact that this is a aviator style dial, leads me to feel it would be nicer if there were no logo or scripting on it other that the numbers as well as no date.(but I can't live without the date window). 3) the lume is SO good I wish the seconds hand had lume as well. 4) I wish it had a more period style band, maybe like this one Military Flieger Watch Band, "Big Guy" Leather, Black, 22mm.

But even with these minor criticisms, I think this is a great aviator style watch. If you're in the market for one, this definitely should be considered, even against watches costing five times it's price.

Update 9/14/14- I'm still loving this watch. It's calmed down to about +2 seconds/day on the wrist and dead on sitting crown up. That's about as good as it gets for a mechanical watch, including Rolex and the rest of the multi-thousand dollar watches out there. The band shows some wear around the part that gets bent as you're treading in through the buckle, but otherwise still looks great. I never did replace the band, and I probably won't for a while longer as the original is still going strong.
on January 25, 2014
Verified Purchase
UPDATE: Four months in, and it still keeps perfect time. The only time I have to adjust the time is when i change time zones.

It's tough to review an inexpensive automatic watch after just a few weeks of owning it, but so far, I love it. It's clean, simple, well-sized and attractive. I love that the seconds hand moves in tiny increments so it looks like the hand sweeps, rather than ticks. The date is easy to read and the lume is excellent. Many other lume watches I've owned maintain a green shade even during the day, which has always bothered me. I want my lume to look white when it's not dark. This lume looks perfectly white, yet after 8 hours of sleeping with my watch under the covers, it reads as clear as day in a dark, early morning room. I can't comment on the stock strap since i replaced mine immediately with a Panera style brown leather strap (note it's 22mm).

So far, it keeps time perfectly. I match it up against my phone's time daily and it's always spot on. I've even dropped it hard into my sink once and it didn't impact its ability to keep time (many autos don't take impact well at all). Time will tell (no pun intended) if the watch deserves 5 stars. For only $150, I expect an auto to start sucking within a year or so. If it gives me 2-3 years of accurate time keeping, I'll be very happy.
on July 22, 2013
Verified Purchase
Super impressed with this watch. Great construction, looks awesome and a great size on the wrist. It really stands out and looks much more expensive than it is. The case is great and well constructed. The only complaint is that the band is just so-so. After a few months of near daily use, the band is starting to show signs of wear. Either way, this is just a good excuse to buy a new band.

I will definitely recommend Orient watches in the future and buy some more myself!
on January 17, 2014
This is my first automatic mechanical watch and I'm loving it. It has a neat design that sits equally well with a shirt and tie as it does with jeans and polo shirt. There is a lovely understated elegance to it that sits very well with me, just large enough to get noticed but not flashy. The face is large and exceptionally clear, with high contrast between the black face and white hands; you can tell the time with all but the briefest of glances, great for driving. I checked the lume after being in the office all day under florescent light and it was a bit weak, I will report back after a few weeks to see if has improved. The watch is very very clear in partial/gloomy light even without the lume however.

Although this is non-hacking movement (the second hand does not stop when the crown is pulled out) you can briefly stop or reverse the second hand by slowly rotating the crown anti clockwise, or there is a trick to stop the second hand - check online. I easily got mine bang on GMT when I set it.

Ive had the watch for about 30hrs now and it is keeping exceptional time (-2/4 secs) but only time will tell whether this accuracy will continue, I will report back. Mine seems to run a bit slow during wear, so I place it face up at night to gain a few seconds overnight. There are other tricks if your movement is slightly slow/fast or you can have it regulated. I will update after a few months of ownership on its accuracy.

The strap is very nice in my opinion, despite negative reviews elsewhere. It is very thick but is a bit stiff new, so not exceptionally comfortable at present, but perfectly acceptable. I'm hoping it softens and moulds to the wrist with use.

In summary, at this price I really don't think there is a better value automatic watch in the marketplace at present as I researched long and hard before buying. Certainly I think it is better value than a "swiss made" movement that has been 49.9% assembled in the far east.

The delivery from Long Island Watches was exceptionally fast. I placed the order on Friday, the seller posted Monday afternoon in NY, US and I had the watch thursday morning in Billingham, UK. Thats 3300 miles in a little over 3 days.
on June 11, 2014
Verified Purchase
I had been in the market for a new watch for a couple of months. I made a couple of missteps and got roped into some of the new companies that are making low quality timepieces and offering them at high discounts off the MSRP (which they set by the way). So after some bad experiences, I discovered the Orient brand. I couldn't have been happier.

I was looking for something with an aviator look, moderately sized (I'm not a fan of what I call the gauntlet watches that some companies are putting out there these days), with a quality automatic movement. .

The Orient was everything I was looking for in a watch. A good price point, quality workmanship, a classic look, and dependable time keeping.

I will definitely be looking at Orients in the future.
on May 5, 2013
Verified Purchase
It works well. Keeps time well enough. Great build quality. It Looks downright sexy with a brown leather zulu strap.
on June 4, 2014
Verified Purchase
I love the look of the watch and so far it's keeping time to within a few seconds a day.

The band that is comes with is pretty cheap though. Not really a issue as I was planning on replacing it anyway.
on May 6, 2014
Verified Purchase
i love this watch, it look amazing, i think this is one of the best watches i have ever had
on September 24, 2014
Verified Purchase
The watch looks great and keeps excellent time with a great power reserve. The black strap is good quality and comfortable, it's hard to beat this watch from a value standpoint.
on February 5, 2015
Verified Purchase
This is my favorite watch out of the 13 I own. It is one of my least expensive too. It is very nice looking, light and comfortable to wear.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations