Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

TOP 100 REVIEWERon June 30, 2014
Orient is a solid, quality maker. I have two of their models, the MAKO and the RAY. Both are very good watches, and among my favorites. In build quality, workmanship and finish these Orient's are every bit as good as my $200 Seiko dive watches (SKX007 and SKX009). I am totally happy with both, although this review is about the RAY.

The RAY has traditional diver's styling with round hour markers and a high-visibility dial. This one is Blue, but they also come in Black and an Orange also. All the dials have a rich, wavy, iridescent texture which reflects and changes in various lighting. Very attractive effect.
The bezel is unidirectional and clicks quietly but precisely. These are certified to 200 Meters so these are true Scuba watches, not just wannabe's. Faces are easy to read underwater, and luminescence is good (and lasts about 4-5 hours in the dark, which is about par with my SEIKO's).
I'm not obsessive about accuracy, but I find these are accurate to within a minute or two every couple of days, and that's acceptable to me. The day/date is easy to read and operates off its own winding stem.
These feel really good and solid on your wrist. I'm very pleased. They are not 'big' watches by current standards, and not gaudy or hey-look-at-me, but they are a good size and they exude a quiet quality where workmanship matters more than a designer name or high price-point.
They're durable. I don't baby my watches at all, yet I can find no scratches or marks on the case or crystal after about two years of frequent wear.
These are just great watches, they do what they claim to do, and I have no complaints.

The stainless band version usually costs about $20 more than the black rubber 'diver's' band version, so if you are like me and plan to wear yours on a nylon NATO strap, you can save a few bucks by choosing the rubber strap version. The rubber strap is fine in itself, I just prefer nylon.

Lots of online videos and good user reviews of the RAY and also the MAKO on the various online watch forums.

Tip: Prices fluctuate, and vary wildly from vendor to vendor. i see these online around $90-115 shipped, and occasionally less. You can also 'put it in your cart' and wait to click 'buy' until the price dips to whatever you want to pay.
It always pays to comparison shop. And patience can be rewarding, too.

Hope this is helpful. Happy shopping, everybody.
on April 24, 2013
This watch at +/-$105, is a great deal:

The movement seems to be accurate.

The material, and the construction are solid.

The weight is not heavy. I have it on my wrist 24/7.

The lumi on the hands is quite visible in darkness for over five hrs after it last exposed to normal in-door lighting.

The band is, however, unnecessary long.

The screw-in crown mechanism, and the separate crown for the days' adjustment have no added benefit.

Lastly, the watch has no indication of the country of origin.

This purchase is, nonetheless, a pleasant surprise.
on January 8, 2016
I have a Submariner but it's a liability to wear and potentially lose it or get it stolen. So getting something similar has to meet good standards to pass with me. I tried the Mako with a stainless band but it was too heavy and the band wasn't great and the bezel was too thin. The Ray with the Silicone band solves everything in my opinion. The blue is subtle so it provides interest without being gaudy. I'm not 100% sold on the band but it's fine for now. Amazing quality and price. You would really have to use a magnifying glass to criticize any finish issues but it passes with flying colors with me. The extra day adjuster is a little silly but I can live with it. I have the Symphony Orient which is dressier but I prefer this for use at home and work. Reminds me of the Submariner I wore for over 20 years. Killer price
on January 4, 2016
I’ve always heard good things about the highly-rated Orient brand, so I bought myself a present with some of the Amazon gift cards I received this Christmas. I opted for the Orient Ray in blue and I’m extremely satisfied.

It is very accurate (+3 seconds per day at this early point), fits my small wrist perfectly, and the uncomplicated face is easily readable.

I replaced the cumbersome rubber band with a navy blue PerFit® ZULU4 strap from WatchRelated, and it balances the watch beautifully.

I've dealt with Long Island Watch before, and their service is quick and efficient, so I’ve already earmarked my next present when I accumulate more Amazon gift card: the Orient Ray in orange-face from Long Island Watch!
on March 6, 2014
If you have ever had a Seiko Diving Watch (I have two), you know how great they are. Rugged, dependable, beautiful to look at.

Well, the Orient Blue Ray is a worthy rival to the Seiko series with better from-the-factory accuracy.

I have found the Blue Ray, and the Orange Ray on my wrist right now as I am typing this, to have accuracy of about +7 seconds a day. That's outstanding. And my Blue Mako also gives me that accuracy. Seikos out of the box, unadjusted (pricey, requires a watchmaker basically) run about +- 30 seconds.

What makes the Orient line (both Makos and Rays use the same movement) so great is that Orient ADJUSTS them at the factory. No, you wont' get Rolex accuracy of say, 4-5 seconds plus/minus a day. But you won't pay Rolex prices either.

Color. The watch is indoors a more black rather than Blue. If you've seen the Blue Mako, this watch has a darker blue that while iridescent in the sun, is darker than the Mako model. The second hand is illuminated with lume paint, nice in the dark.

As for the rubber wristband, some don't like it but I love it.

First, as work out, or sit around, or work on my computer, or do a number of other things, my wrist will expand or contract during the day. Having a rubber adjustable wristband is nice, it means the watch can fit on my wrist the way I want it that minute, and I can change it any time. Like when I'm on a computer. Some don't like the dolphins on the rubber band, I like it.

Secondly, the rubber is soft and less harsh on the wrist than a steel band. Steel looks nicer, and comes off quicker. But it is harsher. If you wear a watch all day (I do) that's a consideration. Finally, you don't need to get the band adjusted like with a steel band. So you can save around $8-15 at a watch repair place. And wear the watch right away.

Is this watch beautiful enough to simply stare at, day after day? Yes. There are times when you need a moment of zen, and watching the second hand SWEEP not jump can be soothing. At around $125 or so this is a steal. Get it now!
on December 29, 2014
Great looking watch. Accuracy seems good as does the lume. I don't care for the band as it is rather stiff and pedestrian in appearance. Exceptional watch for the price just replace the band with a nato strap. Bezel appears black in the picture but is actually very deep blue.
on April 6, 2016
Love this watch. Even like the pusher to change the date...gives it a unique look.
The blue dial is beautiful and really shines in the sun and under certain light conditions. Otherwise it looks black, waiting to surprise you with it's true color in the right light.
I took the rubber band off immediately and put on the 22mm Brushed Stainless Steel Engineer band sold here on Amazon. A great combination that has gotten a few compliments. No plans to change this combination.
I hear that Orient has stopped making the watch with the pusher because of complaints from customers. Too bad. Without it the watch would look like any other dive watch and not have the uniqueness it has now.
If you can find one, jump on it. If you find it with the rubber band, buy it and replace the band...cheaper that way.
on June 16, 2015
The diver watch market is indeed much sought after, with many notable brands making it and people all over the world wearing it. Yet what makes the Orient Blue Ray stand out, apart from the highly affordable price is definitely the outstanding lume. You don't even have to be in complete darkness to witness the powerful lume the Orient Ray has in store. Also, the blue dial, although seeming black in darker places really does offer a nice surprise when brought under the sunlight as it gleams in several different shades of blue. I've had a Seiko 5 of a similar blue dial previously and it is nothing compared to what the dial of the Blue Ray has to offer.

Regarding the bezel, I've seen other feedbacks on it being difficult to turn but I have personally still found it acceptable. The rubber band is surprisingly comfortable and in fact even rather pretty to look at. If you are intending to change the band anyway, I would highly recommend you to get the model with rubber band instead of stainless steel band since it's cheaper to buy anyway.

Everyone knows that Orient makes their movement in-house, which is a rare trait in most watch manufacturers nowadays. In fact, I personally find Orient's movement more power saving than Seiko. The accuracy is also slightly better.

For less than $150, you really cannot complain much about the Orient Blue Ray. It might not be as accurate as a Rolex Submariner or an Omega Seamaster, but then again you aren't paying Rolex or Omega prices as well.
on May 15, 2015
Quality watch with obvious attention to detail. I have not had the watch recalibrated and it has consistently been within a minute or two of exact time. The blue watch face (very dark blue) looks spectacular in the sun and underwater. This is my daily work watch and I have been very pleased with it thus far.
on July 29, 2014
I went on a binge and managed to buy a Bulova quartz, Seiko SKX009J automatic and the Orient blue ray in a two month period, since then I've also secured an Orient Lexington automatic as a birthday present and I now have a new problem, so many watches and so little time!! This is going to be my go to watch for the next month or until I want a change on my wrist. It was bought with the rubber strap which is comfortable although I used a black marker on the dolphins (sorry Flipper). I just put it on a super oyster and it looks much happier now. The dial looks black at night and a very dark blue during the day. The shape of the crystal and the bezel in profile is what I think makes this watch look so good. The two crowns don't detract from the look and although the bezel is extremely difficult to turn, in the water or out of it, I don't turn the bezel much anyway. It doesn't appear to need much movement to keep it wound as I don't wear it every day yet it has kept ticking since I got it four days ago. Don't buy a 22/22mm watchband. Buy a 22/20mm as the narrower band looks better.