5.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality watch. Looks better in person!
Published 22 months ago by Troy Brewster

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really a good time keeper
after years of purchasing Swiss made watches I thought I give it a try and a chance to a japan made watch and in particular the Orient Mako II or XL. Well after two days is sad to say there no way that can come close to the time keeping of least expensive Swiss watches that I own. Is has been running fast, and I don't mean 4 -5 seconds a day I mean 30 or more in 10...
Published 10 months ago by D. Kontakos

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality watch. Looks better in person!, February 25, 2013
Troy Brewster (Beaverton, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Orient Automatic Dive Watch CEM75004B (Orange Bezel Mako II) (Watch)
Bought this through Island Watch. Very good seller. This is my first Orient. I have read many reviews about their watches and rarely are their poor reviews. The pictures don't really do this watch justice. It's a very nice looking, heavy watch. Modeled (possibly unintentionally) after the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean. I wouldn't call it a homage watch because the only feature that is similar is the orange bezel. The watch looks way more expensive than it is. My only recommendation is to purchase a watch winder, especially if you have multiple automatic watches. You can't wind this watch which is a downside but I also have yet to have to reset the time and date. The bracelet is solid and heavy. I really like this watch and will be a welcome compliment to my Steinhart Ocean 44. I would purchase another Orient in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't be disappointed!, August 16, 2013
I just ordered and received my very first Orient watch, the Mako XL (or Mako II). This particular model is also known as the Planet Orient because for its resemblance to the Omega Planet Ocean. Whether the resemblance is intentional or not, the watch is simply stunning in person as the pictures on the internet do not do this watch justice. Some of the features of the watch are; an automatic movement, day and date, 200m water resistance, screw-down crown, 60-click unidirectional bezel, divers double clasp on the bracelet, and a quick set for the day and date.

I have had the watch for 3 days now and the time is very accurate. Since receiving the watch, I have only taken it off to shower and to sleep. I have gotten many compliments on it and people seem to love the orange bezel. It is very comfortable on the wrist and is also very easy to size yourself. There is a bit of weight to the watch so that may be a consideration if you don't like a heavy watch. Once you have it on your wrist though, you really don't notice the weight, you notice the beautiful watch on your wrist.

Now for some of the cons. There is no true hacking function for this watch (as is true for many Japanese brands) so, if you are a real stickler when setting your watch that may be a draw back for you. You can "trick" the second hand by slightly winding the watch backwards and holding the second hand in place and then releasing it. Also, the crystal is mineral and not sapphire so it will scratch if enough force is applied. Possibly a drawback if you are someone who is rough on watches. And finally, the end lugs are not solid but rather folded. Personally, I think that these are all minor considerations as I would be shocked to find these features on a watch at this price point.

If you are looking at this watch, you should just order it. You won't be disappointed and you will probably be pleasantly surprised when you actually see it in person. Yes, it's that good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Teriffic looking watch, great timekeeper, poor lume, December 31, 2013
This watch captures some of the Omega Planet Ocean style without being a knockoff (of which there are many, most of them very disappointing up-close), with extremely high quality. Despite its size and colored bezel it is discreet and fits well under a cuff. It uses an in-house movement from an established and well-respected maker. At its price I do not expect hand-winding or hacking (i.e., a second hand that stops when crown pulled out, for precise synchronization with another time source). I would prefer better luminous material, as the time is not very visible in the dark, or visible at all for more than a few hours. At its price point however, it is one of the best-looking and highest-quality watches out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks better than a photo can depict, February 8, 2014
I wanted a nice automatic dive watch for my collection. Now, I don't dive any more than I fly, but have been enamored of this style after seeing a Rolex Submariner, which is many tens of thousands out of my price range. I did not want to buy a pretend swiss brand or a pretend german brand sourced from the far east.

I love this watch. Fit and finish look great, and the orange bezel is lovely. Orient is a well regarded manufacturer from Japan, and the Mako lines are among their most popular, so you will likely find it reliable and durable.

Style-wise, its big, somewhat heavy, and quite noticeable. So you wouldn't wear it to a job interview. But it will be right at home on casual Fridays, or on your yacht, if you have one that is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this watch!, April 4, 2014
Wanted one since the minute I saw it. Its quality folks, like 95%

The bracelet is lacking, but the watch is so nice...who cares, buy a few nato straps and there you go.

movement is precise and its losing maybe 5 - 10 secs a day which I believe is better than the ratings!

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further for affordable quality, February 22, 2014
This is an outstanding value. This is truly a beautiful watch, nice size, nice weight; but, what seals the deal is outstanding time keeping. You can go weeks without any adjustment whatever. It is as accurate as Swiss watches costing 20 or even 30 times more. A must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great timepiece, January 22, 2013
The watch arrived a day before it was scheduled to! great service. Quality of this product is unbelievable. I have not taken it off my wrist in the week I've owned it, and it is keeping perfect time. A local watch maker that is rebuilding a Seiko for me commented on the looks of the watch, thinking it was a Planet Ocean. I told him it was a Orient Mako XL, and he commented that he does not know how Orient can build such quality at such a good price. Pick up a Orient before they become one of the most popular brands around.......the prices will not stay this low.....enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mako XL Orange, December 11, 2012
If you're searching for a better price you won't find one, as of the date of this review, but your search should include the correct name of this product which is the Orient Mako XL in orange, product number CEM75004B. And fear not, despite the name of the company selling this here on Amazon not being listed as an authorized Orient dealer, which would seem to leave the purchaser without a warranty, the company actually has two names, Island Watch, which is listed as an authorized Orient dealer, and Long Island Watch, which for some reason they've hung onto as they're website name and used here. I don't know if they need to update Amazon or Orient.

5.0 out of 5 stars Orient Automatic Watches, December 3, 2013
Bought this for my good friend Trey for his birthday....he is a HUGE Tenessee Vols fan and although I thought about the orange faced Mako divewatch, I thought this was a bit more subtle. Orient Watches are one of the best watchmakers for the amount spent. This is the 10th Orient Automatic I have bought (I own 4 of them and I have purchased 5 for friends/family). I have owned my four for 3-5 years now, but they are fairly accurate....all 4 of mine stay within 3 minutes per month...most gain about 30-40 seconds per week. I could not be more pleased with Orient, their pricing for their quality are hard to beat!

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful watch - with a small flaw.., August 26, 2013
I really like this watch. Its very beautiful and looks really expensive.
But I must say that the lume on this watch is very bad. Even if I have it in the sun for a long time the lume is weak and only lasts a short short time. But, its still a very nice watch and I would buy it again.