on December 22, 2012
My review is not to advertise this product, but to help other people to make a right choice. I picked out this watch after I read other's reviews and I don't regret. Let me summarize my reasons:

1. Accuracy. It loses 5 sec/day. For an automatic is a very good accuracy. Seiko SNZG 15, a watch that I also like, is 15 sec/day slow. Accuracy range acceptable for this category is +/- 15sec. It doesn't have a "no hack" caliber but you can trick it. When you set the time, turn the crown, just a touch, counter clockwise, until the seconds hand stops. Wait until the reference device got with the seconds hand in the same position with your Orient stopped seconds hand. In that very moment, turn the crown clockwise and set the minutes and hours hands. This is just for accuracy maniacs!

2. Appearance. Although is a diving watch, it is elegant enough to wear it in different occasions, even like a suit accessory. Replacing the hours numbers with dots along with the metalic band, both polished and brushed contributes to this feeling.

3.Sport side. I didn't try, but the company ensures for 200m water resistance. It is quite amazing for diving lovers. Seiko SNZG15, I have mentioned before ensures for 100m. It has also a unidirectional bezel that allows setting a time referrence.

4. Night visibility. It has luminous hands, indices. I can tell you they are bright enough and the light last good hours.

5. Band. It comes with the full length in order to fit differrent hand size. This is the laborious part, because, frequently, you need to size the bracelet by removing some links. In my case, 7" wrist, I had to remove 2 links. You can do it by buying a tool kit from Amazon, what I recommend, or go to a jewler.

6. Delivery. It shipped right away and I got it in 3 days.

7. Finally. I got complete satisfaction with the ORIENT BLACK RAY watch.
review image
on August 2, 2014
I have always thought the Rolex Submariner was the most beautiful design I have ever seen - timeless and understated, yet masculine. I can not afford one, and would have a problem in wearing one because of the connotations it brings. I searched for something that would look like one but not have the stigma of a counterfeit. Reading watch forums I came across the Orient Ray - it looked gorgeous on their website. I have always worn Edifices and Eco-Drives in the past, having a mechanical watch was not very enticing. Since I have got it, the watch is amazing and has put to rest my fears. I can leave it for a day and it will still run, keeps time very accurately and it is often mistaken for a Rolex Submariner - I like telling the backstory to this sub-brand of Seiko. If you like how the watch looks I am pretty sure you will enjoy it in person. Its an excellent purchase and have no regrets - rather am a bit evangelical about it. Also note - the lume is unlike any I have seen, powerful and long lasting with an other worldly glow.
review image
on February 26, 2014
What I like about it:
- It keeps excellent time. It's more accurate than I expected at this price point (beating out a more expensive Seiko Automatic in my collection, for instance). Mine gains exactly 15 seconds per day.
- It has an excellent power reserve. It stays running off the wrist longer than any of the other auto's I've got.
- The lume is great! It's really bright, making it easy to read in the dark.
- It's great looking at arms length. It looks like a classic diver (bringing the Submariner to mind), and is the right size for me (with my 7.5" wrist). It's got the right blend of polished and brushed surfaces on the case and bracelet to *appear* elegant, but not showy.
- Finally, it's a good looking watch I can wear anywhere without the fear of losing or damaging an heirloom.

What's not so good:
- While the internals are surprisingly good, the exterior fit and finish (especially the bracelet) leaves a lot to be desired. Specifically, the safety latch on the clasp doesn't sit flush like it should. Not only does this bug me whenever I look down and notice it, it makes it possible to snag the safety on things and pull it open. Very annoying.
- Worse still, where the bracelet meets the case, the "end-links" that make the transition between the two are loose and shaky, making an audible noise when I move my arm (they're also not contoured as artfully as you'd find in a high-end diver's watch, but there's no sense comparing this to a timepiece costing 10x or more the price). I tried tweaking them with my various tools to firm up the connection, and I made it better, but they still rattle. With another go at it, I can probably settle them down. (Update: I took off the bracelet and tightened those links up by bending them slightly with my fingers. Much better. If yours rattles and you don't want to adjust it yourself, have a jeweler make this simple repair. I'm enjoying the watch much more now)
- The crystal must not be Sapphire (no real surprise at ~$150), because it's very easy to scratch (although the bracelet shows no scratches at all, after 3 months of wear).
- The uni-directional bezel WAS nearly impossible to turn at first. After three months, it's merely difficult. That's a good thing... unless the loosening trend continues indefinitely.
- Others have complained that the Day and Date don't line up squarely in the windows. I've observed this problem, but also found that if I tickle the crown/pusher *very* carefully, I can get them to line up better (and they stay lined up for me until I have to reset the watch).
- Finally, the extra screw-down pusher for advancing the day (at the 2-o'clock position) works fine, but looks... extra; unnecessary. Doubtless this was a compromise they had to make to deliver this kind of accuracy and all-stainless construction at this price point, but it makes it that little bit harder to set compared to my other single-crown autos.

Even though I wrote more about complaints than praises, I gave the watch four stars, because I do feel it delivers great value (especially in the accuracy department) for the modest investment. I would buy it either as place-holder until you can afford the diver you *really* want, or as a stunt-double for your fancier watches to be worn when theft or damage seem likely.
on March 18, 2013
Own several Orient watches and have found them to be THE best price meets performance deal on any watch made!

Am currently wearing this one and feel safe horsing around with the dogs, doing yard work in it and showering/swimming with it on.

Lume is not the brightest but at this price point, is better than expected.

Cannot recommend this watch and this brand enough.

I have a 7.5" wrist and had to remove one link for a "loose bracelet" fit.
on April 1, 2013
Solid build, only like -6 seconds per day, looks great. Lume is amazing. Only a few complaints: can't "hack" the second hand and I don't like the second crown for the day setting. Also the bracelet can get caught on arm hair a lot. Its worth the money though.
on November 26, 2012
Unparalleled quality at this price point. Feels and looks like a watch that costs much more. This is my second Orient watch and will not be my last. Don't hesitate to buy.
on August 13, 2012
I have worn this watch for about 6 months now, I couldn't be happier its an amazing value. I have purchased 2 more as gifts and both people thought I had spent way to much money on them. It is keeping perfect time and the lume on the dials is very impressive.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Orient is a solid, quality maker. I have two of their models, the MAKO and the RAY. Both are very good watches, and among my favorites. In build quality, workmanship and finish these Orient's are every bit as good as my $200 Seiko dive watches (SKX007 and SKX009). I am totally happy with both, although this review is about the RAY.

The RAY has traditional diver's styling with round hour markers and a high-visibility dial. This one is Black, but they also come in Orange and a Dark/Navy Blue. All the dials have a rich, iridescent texture which reflects and changes in various lighting. Very attractive effect.
The bezel is unidirectional and clicks quietly but precisely. These are certified to 200 Meters so these are true Scuba watches, not just wannabe's. Faces are easy to read underwater, and luminescence is good (and lasts about 4-5 hours in the dark, which is about par with my SEIKO's).
I'm not obsessive about accuracy, but I find these are accurate to within a minute or two every couple of days, and that's acceptable to me. The day/date is easy to read and operates off its own winding stem.
These feel really good and solid on your wrist. I'm very pleased. They are not 'big' watches by current standards, and not gaudy or hey-look-at-me, but they are a good size and they exude a quiet quality where workmanship matters more than a designer name or high price-point.
They're durable. I don't baby my watches at all, yet I can find no scratches or marks on the case or crystal after about two years of frequent wear.
These are just great watches, they do what they claim to do, and I have no complaints.

The stainless band version usually costs about $20 more than the black rubber 'diver's' band version, so if you are like me and plan to wear yours on a nylon NATO strap, you can save a few bucks by choosing the rubber strap version.

Lots of online videos and good user reviews of the RAY and also the MAKO on the various online watch forums.

Tip: Prices fluctuate, and vary wildly from vendor to vendor. i see these online around $90-115 shipped, and occasionally less. You can also 'put it in your cart' and wait to click 'buy' until the price dips to whatever you want to pay.
It always pays to comparison shop. And patience can be rewarding, too.

Hope this is helpful. Happy shopping, everybody.
on July 16, 2014
I purchased this watch as a gift for my husband. It did not disappoint. This is a very fine looking watch, and thus far it's been keeping perfect time. My husband did take it to a jeweler when he first got it, and they were the ones who initially set up the watch for him ... but the primary purpose of the jeweler visit was to have a few links taken out of the watchband -- I'm sure we could have figured out the initial set-up ourselves if need be. As other reviewers have noted, this watch looks expensive, but in an understated way. It looks good on my husband's wrist whether he's wearing shorts and a t-shirt or a suit. I'd never heard of the Orient brand before, but I'm very pleased with the overall quality of this watch.
on April 2, 2015
I have had this watch for less than a month so I am NOT going to write a review on whether it is gaining or losing any seconds because that is not that important for a watch at this price range. That being said it seems to keep time very well and I did own a Bambino and it also kept time very well. This watch has a lot of heft to it and does not feel or look cheap and I have absolutely no complaints. I would recommend this watch to anyone and I would buy another watch from this company.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations