4.0 out of 5 stars Nice choice!
Published on June 2, 2009 by rangers27

3.0 out of 5 stars Good looking but disappointing
FEM65004BW:
Large black divers' watch (41.5mm without crown/46mm including crown:13.3mm deep:98g)
Movement: 469
Features - pros
Sweep second hand with red arrow tip
Large Arabic numerals at 12, 6 and 9, 5 minute indices elsewhere
Day and date in window at 3 position
No power reserve indicator
Unidirectional seconds and divers'...
Published on May 3, 2012 by Caxton

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice choice!, June 2, 2009
rangers27 (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Orient Men's CEM65004B 'Black Mako' Automatic Rubber Strap Dive Watch (Watch)
I purchased the Orient Black Mako in March 2009 after many hours of research into purchasing my first affordable automatic watch. After owning it for two months, I am not disappointed. It is a solidly built watch and the rubber strap is very comfortable. The bezel is hard to turn but that is not a big issue for me. I like that it is somewhat unique in that Orient is not a common brand in North America and the Mako's styling is it's own. The red tipped second hand is a nice touch as well. The lume is very bright but not particularly long lasting. The watch sits comfortably on my slender wrist. The watch has averaged a +20 seconds/day since I've owned it. This is under the manufacturer's spec of +25 sec/day but I admit I find this slightly disappointing. This is the only reason I did not give it a full 5 stars. Bottom line, this is a lot of watch for the money. Hope my little review helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for the buck!, February 19, 2009
First, I am Mike, Judy'husband, and I purchased the Orient Mens Black Mako in Jan.2009. I have been 100% satisfied with the Orient Divers Watch in the time I've had it. I live in Florida in the winter and have used it in swimming and snorkeling. It is extremely comfortable to wear outside and in the water. The band is very flexible and soft and adjusts to any size wrist. The face is big and easy to read in the water and the hands, numbers, and markings light up very nicely in the dark.
The day, date, and time are very easy to set. It has kept perfect time since day one. (Be aware that it is an automatic watch and if you take it off and put it down, it will stop running in about 3-4 days.) It is a great looking divers watch and I have received many compliments. I could have spent less for a dive watch, but for all the features, comfort, and looks in the Orient, I really beleive it is the best buy in the price range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding watch, December 17, 2011
Nikita Kharlamov (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this watch four months ago from Amazon. I wanted a waterproof watch for my swimming workouts. This watch exceeded all my expectations. I wear it all the time and work out in the pool five or six times a week (I never tried to actually jump into the water with it, but I do swim underwater a lot, going all the way down to 13 feet), and have no leaks or any other problems like that. The display is clear and legible, the clock hands are well visible, the luminescent coating is very bright in the darkness, and it stays bright for quite a long time. The rotating bezel is handy for keeping track of time during lecturing or presenting. I love the way it looks (although I would probably prefer no dolphins.. but then I am OK with dolphins too). And best of all, I adjust it maybe once a month or so - it sticks to the time better than any other clock I have around me. Clearly the very best thing I bought this year.
There are only two drawbacks: it is automatic, so you have to wear it all the time. Initially I was a bit disappointed because I was hoping to find a watch that I could wear just to the pool and not all the time (heh, the cell phone effect...), but now I am sooooo hooked back to the wrist watch! And the other minor drawback is that the band was a bit too long and stuck out uncomfortably. I guess I just have very thin wrist :) (I use the first hole - somebody with a thicker wrist should not have this issue). I actually cut the band by maybe half an inch or so. I doubt anyone notices. 5 stars despite the wrist band length.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good looking but disappointing, May 3, 2012
FEM65004BW:
Movement: 469
Features - pros
Sweep second hand with red arrow tip
Large Arabic numerals at 12, 6 and 9, 5 minute indices elsewhere
Day and date in window at 3 position
No power reserve indicator
Unidirectional seconds and divers' bezel
Mineral crystal
Good lume performance
Screw in crown; screw secured push in button for movement of day indicator
200m water resistant
Rubber band with conventional clasp
Designation EM65-C3-A CA No serial number: M9
Description on face: Japan movt TH EM65-A00-R.T
Accuracy: gains 10-15 seconds/day

Cons:
I bought this as a CEM, but an FEM arrived (see summary below)
Least accurate Orient watch
Doesn't hack (as for all Orient automatics at this level)
Unconventional day button spoils otherwise clean lines
Band too long for me
Bezel stiff
No serial number
Dolphin motif on band

Summary:
I bought this watch from Amazon and it arrived in Australia a week earlier than scheduled.
Despite my observations, I like Orient watches. They are comparable to Seiko 5s but more individualistic.
This, the black version of the Mako, is a great looking watch except for the unnecessary button on the outside of the case at 2.
I bought this partially because it seemed a simple movement and so would be accurate. In this regard it has been a disappointment.
See also my review of the CFM/FFM. This is the third of my Orient automatics (out of five) that indicated they were not assembled in Japan and have no serial number other than M5 or M9. The clue is the words "Japan movt" at the bottom of the face (very small lettering; you need a magnifying glass) rather than just "Japan" which indicates it was made there. The other clue seems to be the model number; the prefix C seems to indicate assembled in Japan, whereas F is elsewhere.

2.0 out of 5 stars Orient Black Mako: unreliable watch, bad customer service, June 15, 2013
I bought this watch in January. By April, the date-day button had come off, only the second or third time I tried to use it. I sent it in for repairs to the official Orient repair store on 5/6/13 by UPS, including an additional $12 for them to send it back to me. I have been waiting for 1.5 months for them to send it back. They promised to return it by 6/15/13 as I was going out of the country but nothing...Still no watch and no idea when it will ever come back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Watch, August 6, 2010
This Black Mako was an excellent purchase. The automatic movement is excellent and does not need adjustment on a daily basis. Keeps excellent time. I keep watch on a winder, so it is ready to go. The rubber strap is excellent. It is not a hard rubber and does not take alot to get used to. Really molds to your wrist and will not move with the body heat. I appreciate the size for a woman's wrist, yet, on occaisions, my husband can wear the watch.

I appreciate the opportunity to purchase at a fair price with Amazon, also, this makes it easier and I trust their system.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mako is a Shark that Eats Your Money., June 5, 2013
Supposedly nobody buys Orient watches in America because they are unknown in our market. So if you do know about them it's because you really care about and have an interest in watches. If you read about them on the various watch forums they are depicted as this small boutique watch making company that fabricates these excellent little gems. I would go so far as to say if you are reading this review you probably have some interest in getting a "kinda special" watch that's within your price range, or looking for a beater watch that has a bit of class. So, from someone who cares about watches to someone who probably cares about watches I'd like to tell my horror: Mako - The Watch that Eats Money.

One day, about three months of wearing my mako constantly, I was having a conversation with another watch loving friend about my mako when I looked down at my watch and noticed it stopped. How I rue the day I ever clicked that button on Amazon confirming this purchase. No problem I thought, it's under warrantee, it will get fixed. So $12 postage plus $12 return fee and a month and a half wait get's me my old watch back - fixed apparently. I had spoken to customer service a few days before receiving the watch back from orient usa, at the time of the phone call they seemed to not know where my watch was and then seemed to know that I was at fault for the watch stopping. I guess that my So don't send emails, answer a phone or make coffee while wearing a mako, because it just can't handle the stress.

After a month and a half I receive my fixed watch back. It broke again when I put the watch band back on it and started making an internal clinky sound. I sent it back again. It came back untouched and unfixed. Orient Watch Company = Customer Service Night mare. I want to write more but I feel like I'm about to get mean. Suffice to say I will never_____________you fill in the blank.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good looking, quality watch. with 5 month update., May 22, 2014
This is a very good looking watch that has no fear of activities that take it in and out of sea and pool water for hours. It is very comfortable (I had to shorten the band which only took a minute with a sharp knife), has a very clear face and is easy to read in all conditions, both day and night. It looks and feels like a quality watch suitable for both recreation and office wear. After four weeks my summary is that this was a great buy, certainly value for money.
Update after five months.
Unfortunately this watch has started to lose up to half an hour a day. I experimented to see if I was doing something wrong in regard to the auto wind but no good result. Pity. It is still a good looking watch and is generally accurate for most of the day so I persist with a rewind each morning. Annoying but I live in hope it may improve. If it gets worse its gone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working right after the warranty expired, January 21, 2013
I would not recommend buying from Orient - they do not stand behind their products. This 'legendary' - as Orient says - watch stopped working after 14 months of using it and it was a birthday gift, so I felt so uncomfortable when this piece of junk was 2 hours late. Then it was 3 hours late. And then it stopped working completely. I contacted the Orient in Japan via e-mail and all they advised me is to send like $50 check to their repairs center, just to take a look. This means that the repairs for something for which I paid $96 would be up to $100. This is because $50 was supposed to be just a deposit, not to include shipping and handling. A total ripoff and untrusted product. Steer away from the Orient and purchase Seiko instead!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Was going to buy an Omega Seamaster, but the Orient won my heart for a while, October 10, 2011
Scott B. (Petaluma, Ca) - See all my reviews
It is not an Omega, but it sure has the simplicity I was looking for and it is very well built. You do have to wear it or the self-winding mechanism runs out after about a day. I like it because it is old school. Time, date, and sturdy. It is like an old car that focuses on a simple mission. This watch also seems to become better looking the longer I own it. I like the way it makes a statement that flash is not always the best.

As an update to the above review; water got into the watch and I sent it back to Orient. They either fixed it or sent me another. I couldn't get it to keep time and keep the date function working well so I have given up on the watch and now wear a Citizen.