Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on June 2, 2009
I purchased the Orient Black Mako in March 2009 after many hours of research into purchasing my first affordable automatic watch. After owning it for two months, I am not disappointed. It is a solidly built watch and the rubber strap is very comfortable. The bezel is hard to turn but that is not a big issue for me. I like that it is somewhat unique in that Orient is not a common brand in North America and the Mako's styling is it's own. The red tipped second hand is a nice touch as well. The lume is very bright but not particularly long lasting. The watch sits comfortably on my slender wrist. The watch has averaged a +20 seconds/day since I've owned it. This is under the manufacturer's spec of +25 sec/day but I admit I find this slightly disappointing. This is the only reason I did not give it a full 5 stars. Bottom line, this is a lot of watch for the money. Hope my little review helps.
on February 19, 2009
First, I am Mike, Judy'husband, and I purchased the Orient Mens Black Mako in Jan.2009. I have been 100% satisfied with the Orient Divers Watch in the time I've had it. I live in Florida in the winter and have used it in swimming and snorkeling. It is extremely comfortable to wear outside and in the water. The band is very flexible and soft and adjusts to any size wrist. The face is big and easy to read in the water and the hands, numbers, and markings light up very nicely in the dark.
The day, date, and time are very easy to set. It has kept perfect time since day one. (Be aware that it is an automatic watch and if you take it off and put it down, it will stop running in about 3-4 days.) It is a great looking divers watch and I have received many compliments. I could have spent less for a dive watch, but for all the features, comfort, and looks in the Orient, I really beleive it is the best buy in the price range.
on May 3, 2012
FEM65004BW:
Large black divers' watch (41.5mm without crown/46mm including crown:13.3mm deep:98g)
Movement: 469
Features - pros
Sweep second hand with red arrow tip
Large Arabic numerals at 12, 6 and 9, 5 minute indices elsewhere
Day and date in window at 3 position
No power reserve indicator
Unidirectional seconds and divers' bezel
Mineral crystal
Good lume performance
Screw in crown; screw secured push in button for movement of day indicator
200m water resistant
Rubber band with conventional clasp
Designation EM65-C3-A CA No serial number: M9
Description on face: Japan movt TH EM65-A00-R.T
Accuracy: gains 10-15 seconds/day

Cons:
I bought this as a CEM, but an FEM arrived (see summary below)
Least accurate Orient watch
Doesn't hack (as for all Orient automatics at this level)
Unconventional day button spoils otherwise clean lines
Band too long for me
Bezel stiff
No serial number
Dolphin motif on band

Summary:
I bought this watch from Amazon and it arrived in Australia a week earlier than scheduled.
Despite my observations, I like Orient watches. They are comparable to Seiko 5s but more individualistic.
This, the black version of the Mako, is a great looking watch except for the unnecessary button on the outside of the case at 2.
I bought this partially because it seemed a simple movement and so would be accurate. In this regard it has been a disappointment.
See also my review of the CFM/FFM. This is the third of my Orient automatics (out of five) that indicated they were not assembled in Japan and have no serial number other than M5 or M9. The clue is the words "Japan movt" at the bottom of the face (very small lettering; you need a magnifying glass) rather than just "Japan" which indicates it was made there. The other clue seems to be the model number; the prefix C seems to indicate assembled in Japan, whereas F is elsewhere.
88 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2015
Item came as shown. This is my first mechanical/automatic watch. I've never had a watch that wasn't a quartz battery powered movement so this is a real treat for me. I was tired of having watches die, needing to replace & buy more batteries, so I decided to invest in an automatic-mechanical. This type of movement could also be construed as "prepper" friendly. The watch I received is T+12 sec (fast) which I'd rather be faster than slower, so every 5 days I turn it back 1 minute, easy.

*If this is your first mechanical/automatic watch: please be mindful of setting the time on this watch. With this being my first mechanical, I didn't know there was an AM and PM rotation. The AM rotation changes the Date first, followed by the Day, during the hours of ~11pm-3:30am (9pm-4am per manual). Find the AM/PM rotation, read the instructions, then set it properly.

Why this one:
I decided to invest in Orient as they make their own movements, vs. other brands built in Malaysia or other places. Not to say those movements are worse/better (I lack the involved experience to say so), I'm just happy to have an authentic Japanese Automatic movement, and I value companies that make their own internal parts (as with things other than watches). I find the bars on the dial face suit me better than the circles on the Ray, for my "at-a-glance" registering of the time. I find bars less distracting and prefer the look.

Function and Use:
I also like how this is a 'dive watch' model (window cleaner here) rated at 200m water resist, with a proper uni-directional rotating bezel, so I can use it as a poor man's chronograph. The rotating bezel was a feature I was specifically looking for, glad I found it. The rubber strap it came with I found very comfortable, but it's best suited for rather large wrists. I have a 7.5-in wrist and the rubber strap it came with left a solid 1 1/4-in of strap after the sliding keeper on it. I could always take a razor blade and trim it easily, but I ordered a NATO style strap as suggested by others, and I'll recommend the same. The NATO strap is a very simple design that would keep the watch on your wrist should one of the spring bars break, vs. the entire watch-strap and all-just fall off your wrist at whatever time should that happen. I'm not made of money so I prefer to keep my watch if at all possible. The NATO strap also seems to be modeled after a "trench" strap, known today as a "cuff" strap, which I'll be looking to get for this watch later on.

Looks:
I appreciate the basic black/silver combo with the dial and case. This combo works very well for the black/grey NATO strap I ordered for it, so now my watch has a bit more character, and a custom look to it. The red second hand tip is a nice touch in my opinion, as I like to watch it sometimes (look a pun!).

Misc:
I also ordered a 5-in "Spring Bar Tool Set", allows me to EASILY swap straps for my watch. I also haven't encountered any bezel issues as stated by some other reviewers, but we'll see if the watch-work gremlins find me later on... sleep with a gun folks, they're out there.
review image
on November 23, 2015
I received this watch a day ago and already love it. There are many things I like about it, and the only 2 things that bother me. I should also mention that I am not a diver, in fact I don't even know how to swim. I ordered this as a daily wear watch and because of the features I will highlight below.

Pros
+Automatic
+Day and Date
+Clean watch face
+Nice lume
++Smooth (sweep motion) second hand (could be smoother but I still love this)

-+ The bezel is very tight and difficult to rotate. Maybe because I just got mine and need to wear it down a little? Either way if you like really tough rotation then this is good. Personally it was a little too tough for me.

Cons (just the band)
-The annoying dolphins on the band.
-If you have a 7inch wrist like me, you will have like an inch and a half of excess band after its on your wrist. This is annoying for me because it sticks out (as the pictures will show).

Overall: I love the watch but I've only had it for a day. I will update my review after a couple of months to see how it holds up. Reason for giving it 4 stars and not 5 is because of the band. To be fair the band itself is comfortable, but the 2 cons I mentioned above are kind of a deal breaker and I will be buying a another band for this watch in the near future (probably today).
review image review image review image review image
on May 8, 2015
This is the third Orient watch I have purchased, and I couldn't be more pleased. I received the watch very quickly, and immediately removed the stock band (I'm not a fan), and put a nato strap on it. After only a few days, it seems to keep pretty good time (5 seconds off in 24 hrs) and will probably get better. That isn't a big deal to me anyway since I usually rotate what watch I wear, and end up resetting them every time I wear a different one. If you're looking for an inexpensive automatic watch, I would definitely recommend this one!
review image
on November 23, 2015
I bought this to go with Shark NATO Strap Co. - 22mm Black and Gray Striped NATO Strap - James Bond NATO Strap. I wanted a nice watch that met the size needs as well as a watch strap that is easily removable. This watch as fit the bill perfectly! I really like how it turned out and have worn this watch daily since receiving it last week.
review image review image
on May 22, 2014
This is a very good looking watch that has no fear of activities that take it in and out of sea and pool water for hours. It is very comfortable (I had to shorten the band which only took a minute with a sharp knife), has a very clear face and is easy to read in all conditions, both day and night. It looks and feels like a quality watch suitable for both recreation and office wear. After four weeks my summary is that this was a great buy, certainly value for money.
Update after five months.
Unfortunately this watch has started to lose up to half an hour a day. I experimented to see if I was doing something wrong in regard to the auto wind but no good result. Pity. It is still a good looking watch and is generally accurate for most of the day so I persist with a rewind each morning. Annoying but I live in hope it may improve. If it gets worse its gone.
on December 1, 2013
As a similar watch to the SKX007 series in most functions, (automatic, non-hacking, non-hand winding) I would call this a great watch for the money. It keeps accurate time, is easy to set, and for a 200m water resistance, (though no ISO rating) wears very low profile. The only minor knocks I give this are the rubber strap is too long, very odd, the day set pusher is weird but is only an aesthetic issue for me as are the tiny numbers on the bezel. I much prefer the look of the Ray bezel numbers sizing but that doesn't ruin the watch or it's functions. Otherwise, again a great watch for the money.
on June 15, 2013
I bought this watch in January. By April, the date-day button had come off, only the second or third time I tried to use it. I sent it in for repairs to the official Orient repair store on 5/6/13 by UPS, including an additional $12 for them to send it back to me. I have been waiting for 1.5 months for them to send it back. They promised to return it by 6/15/13 as I was going out of the country but nothing...Still no watch and no idea when it will ever come back.