Orient Men's EM65008B "Ray" Stainless Steel Automatic Watch
Price:$146.60 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Orient is a solid, quality maker. I have two of their models, the MAKO and the RAY. Both are very good watches, and among my favorites. In build quality, workmanship and finish these Orient's are every bit as good as my $200 Seiko dive watches (SKX007 and SKX009). I am totally happy with both, although this review is about the RAY.

The RAY has traditional diver's styling with round hour markers and a high-visibility dial. This one is Black, but they also come in Orange and a Dark/Navy Blue. All the dials have a rich, wavy, iridescent texture which reflects and changes in various lighting. Very attractive effect.
The bezel is unidirectional and clicks quietly but precisely. These are certified to 200 Meters so these are true Scuba watches, not just wannabe's. Faces are easy to read underwater, and luminescence is good (and lasts about 4-5 hours in the dark, which is about par with my SEIKO's).
I'm not obsessive about accuracy, but I find these are accurate to within a minute or two every couple of days, and that's acceptable to me. The day/date is easy to read and operates off its own winding stem.
These feel really good and solid on your wrist. I'm very pleased. They are not 'big' watches by current standards, and not gaudy or hey-look-at-me, but they are a good size and they exude a quiet quality where workmanship matters more than a designer name or high price-point.
They're durable. I don't baby my watches at all, yet I can find no scratches or marks on the case or crystal after about two years of frequent wear.
These are just great watches, they do what they claim to do, and I have no complaints.

The stainless band version usually costs about $20 more than the black rubber 'diver's' band version, so if you are like me and plan to wear yours on a nylon NATO strap, you can save a few bucks by choosing the rubber strap version.

Lots of online videos and good user reviews of the RAY and also the MAKO on the various online watch forums.

Tip: Prices fluctuate, and vary wildly from vendor to vendor. i see these online around $90-115 shipped, and occasionally less. You can also 'put it in your cart' and wait to click 'buy' until the price dips to whatever you want to pay.
It always pays to comparison shop. And patience can be rewarding, too.

Hope this is helpful. Happy shopping, everybody.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 4, 2014
This is my 2nd Orient watch. My first was Blue Mako bought in 2010(I think), and it's still ticking great!

I chanced upon this on Amazon with free shipping to Singapore. I can't seems to find it in retails. At USD138, finds it rather ok price.(I bought Blue Mako at S$165, at People's Park)

I love the dial and bezel(seems like a cross breed between Submariner, Aquaracer and Seiko 007). The bezel are much smoother and easier to turn compared to Mako. Lume are great on Ray, but maybe it's because Ray's markings are bolder and bigger compared to Mako - thin markings and thin numerics.

When turning the time, I was amazed how "tight" and solid it feels! Mako does feels tiny bit "loose gear", but Ray is good feel!

The bracelet with mix of stainless steel shiny and matt looks good. No issues with the "hollow" feel (according to some feedback)

I have yet to test the time and accuracy, I just give this a miss since that few seconds difference wouldn't hurt or missed much.

Only negative was that the clasp was not smooth and pretty "out of dimension/place" tight. Could feel it's being friction-ed when opening or closing. Maybe I am unlucky with this defect.

Overall, great and masculine watch!
review image
on May 26, 2013
The packaging makes for a nice presentation. The overall watch's finish and detail are as represented in the pictures; maybe even better. This is my first mechanical auto-wind watch and I know the accuracy varies a little. So far it gains about 20 secs a day but I'd rather it gained than lost. The rotating bezel is smooth, the dial lights well at night, and the red tip on the second hand provides a nice counterpoint. I have not been swimming with it yet but based upon feedback from other owners it should do just fine. So far this watch has exceeded expectations and I would recommend it to anyone considering their first mechanical dive watch.
on November 11, 2013
Opened up my Black Ray and discovered "MOV'T JAPAN, CASE CHINA" stamp on the inside back of the case (see uploaded pics). See my more detailed review here Orient Black Ray Automatic Dive Watch CEM65008B.

All Orient watches have (ostensibly) Japan movements but Chinese or other offshore-made cases and are cased in China or other offshore countries.

Same is true of Seikos, Citizens and most certainly all watches in the $200 (really $1000) or below price point.

Just a head's up in case you think you are buying a "Made in Japan" watch.
review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 21, 2015
Fantastic. The overall construction looks and feels solid, the style is timeless, and the function so far has been excellent. It is clearly inspired by the Submariner, but with enough original styling cues and features to stay out of the "knockoff" realm. Casual observers will assume it's more expensive than it really is, average watch aficionados will appreciate it as a great timepiece, and Rolex snobs will be angry that other people admire your sub-$200 watch as much as theirs. I'd say anyone who buys this watch instead gets the better deal. Looks sharp with a suit or nice jeans and a t-shirt, and anything in between. If you're on the fence, wait no longer, this watch is great.
on July 7, 2013
Great watch for the price. Its an Automatic so you may need to get used to resetting it when not in use for a few days. It looks great and holds up very nicely. I've already worn it with everything from a suit to a bathing suit. A great watch for all situations that you don't have to worry about beating up.
on June 5, 2013
This is a great watch. It seems solid and well made. Looks really classy on my wrist without being overly large and "blingy", as a lot of watches seem to be these days!

It seems to keep very accurate time. Over a couple of weeks it seems to have only gained 10 seconds, at most.

I like the bracelet. Its nice and solid and is very comfortable. (I wear this watch all day).

The only thing that would be nice is if the second hand would stop when setting the time. This is not a big deal and its not a common feature for automatic watches in this price range.

I highly recommend this watch if you are looking for an automatic, divers style in this price range.
on January 2, 2015
Like the Orient Mako, this is a nice looking watch that keeps time with great accuracy. It has unidirectional bezel, day and date, 200m water resistance and in-house automatic movement. Orient makes its own movements and this watch is one of their most sold time pieces. Many mistake this watch with other well known brands. Very nice lumination. I receive many complement about the look of this watch and value. I wish Orient will offer this watch with exhibition case back like FER28004B0 which is another Orient sport watch that I have. Great look and excellent value.
on June 24, 2013
What can I say about this watch? I simply love it. It is solidly built, gorgeous, with immaculate fit and finish. The bezel clicks hard and lines up perfectly. The band is solid and heavy and the lume - man, the lume is out of this world. I have found it within 4-5 seconds per day so far with every day wear. A watch of this quality at this price it would make a great gift. Go for it!
on December 4, 2014
I love this watch. It is now my everyday watch. It looks a lot more expensive than the cost. I do have to remember to wear it daily otherwise it will die since its an automatic. Its the perfect size for me. Some watches are now getting huge faces and this watch is great. I will definitely purchase another Orient watch.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations