on September 7, 2013
Great quality for the money, but I got a dud.

The second hand will periodically pause, usually right at the 12 second mark. It resumes if you shake the watch a bit... however, no matter how much I wind it, this problem still occurs. I sat on my couch twirling it around for 10 minutes today, and 1.5 hours later I look down and it's dead still.

Luckily I noticed this within the return window. Exchange is processing now, we'll see how the next one does.

When it runs, it seems be pretty accurate.

The bezel is pretty tight. I usually have to remove the watch to turn it.

UPDATE: The replacement watch was flawless--keeps great time and the bezel turns easily, but not too easily. After wearing this for a few months my only complaint would be the hollow end links on the bracelet. They can rattle a bit. I ended up grabbing a 3-ring zulu strap for $13, which is much more comfortable anyway. Bracelets always pull on my hair.

My watch gains about 1.5 seconds per day. The power reserve is around 30 hours in my experience, which means you really need to wear it every day to keep it going.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 26, 2015
I love this watch.
Was looking for something colorful and this one is certainly it. I usually hate dive watches, but this one has so much character. The automatic movement keeps near perfect time, typically within about 10 seconds per day and is almost silent compared to my Seiko5 SNZG. The lume is super bright and stays charged for a good long time (see photo). No problems with a tight bezel as others have mentioned.

The orange color kind of changes around based on what light you're in. Dim indoor light is a very nice deep orange, but in bright light or at the right angle, it can look a little faded. The band is probably the weakest point of the watch as the links are pretty loose and allow for some lateral slop in the bracelet. Not nearly as tight as my Seiko5. Pictures rarely do the small details justice though. The lume markers are perfectly centered on the raised chrome markers, the hands are very precisely cut and painted, the gold Orient logo is raised and very detailed and the bezel around the day date window is very precisely placed/cut.

Honestly the only drawback to this thing is the bracelet and there's no display back. If you don't like the orange, then get the blue or black one!
on January 5, 2013
For some strange reason, this particular watch model is listed at several price points by various vendors. I reviewed this watch on one of the other listings so here's my review which is more applicable to this listing!

I picked up this Orient Orange Ray watch for myself as an early Christmas present. It is another outstanding Orient watch design. The Orient Ray series diver watches are identical to the Orient Mako series, other than a slightly different dial design and a slightly different bracelet. I got this for $112.99 which made it about a dollar cheaper than the Orange Mako. These Orient diver watches are very well-made, with screw-down crowns which allow you to wear them while swimming. They are not recommended for scuba diving though! I removed a few links and have been testing the accuracy of this watch. It has been running about +/- 2 seconds a day, depending if I lay it face-up or crown-down when I take it off at night. That is exceptional accuracy for a watch at this price point (or any price-point, for that matter!). The bracelet is a solid-link design utilizing push pins to hold the links together. A cheap link removal tool makes resizing the watch a ten minute job. It looks much nicer in person than the accompanying photo suggests. You won't be disappointed with this Orange Ray!
on May 21, 2015
I bought this watch while debating between several dive watches. The seiko orange monster, the skx011, and the other skx models. I heard about orient watches and the day, and I saw the orange model and thought it was the best designed orange diver I'd seen this far, so I bought this and a matching nato strap, and waited patiently.

The watch arrived, nice box, manual all that. I took the watch out and was really surprised at how much nicer it looked than I expected. It really pops, the orange is bright and nice. Just the same shade as a delicious ripe orange, ready to be peeled and eaten.

I immediately took off the steel bracelet, and put on my orange grey black nato, and imo It's a perfect match and really even looks like it should be sold this way. I set the time and date, 4:35 Wednesday the 13, and then I went on to work. That was one week ago, and today it's still directly on time, aside from being about 15 seconds fast now. For the watch to be directly on the minute for an entire week is enough to impress me, but since it's only 15 seconds fast now, at this rate it'll likely make another week before having to be reset.

This level of accuracy in a mechanical watch is considerably amazing. I would expect this level of quality spending 500 to 600 dollars on a watch.

But I didn't :)

Great watch buy if you like orange
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 31, 2015
Just received this....absolutely stunning watch. The pictures do not do it justice at all. It looks quite dull in the picture, but in person it is MUCH more pleasing and much higher quality than the picture would seem to indicate. I have a similar Wenger watch, which I like very much, but this one puts that one to shame aesthetically and workmanship wise. It was about 35% more than the Wenger, but it feels like 3X the watch. Very happy with this purchase!
on January 30, 2013
This watch keeps good time - probably a minute or so fast a week. It looks good too. I have small wrists and this, unlike many of the watches today, does not look too big.

When it arrived the screw-down thread around the day pusher was stuck at the top of the pusher. I had to use a pair of pliers (wrapped in a soft cloth) to fix this but all is fine now.

You can't beat this for the money!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Orient is a solid, quality maker. I have two of their models, the MAKO and the RAY. Both are very good watches, and among my favorites. In build quality, workmanship and finish these Orient's are every bit as good as my $200 Seiko dive watches (SKX007 and SKX009). I am totally happy with both, although this review is about the RAY.

The RAY has traditional diver's styling with round hour markers and a high-visibility dial. This one is Orange, but they also come in Black and a Dark/Navy Blue. All the dials have a rich, iridescent texture which reflects and changes in various lighting. Very attractive effect.
The bezel is unidirectional and clicks quietly but precisely. These are certified to 200 Meters so these are true Scuba watches, not just wannabe's. Faces are easy to read underwater, and luminescence is good (and lasts about 4-5 hours in the dark, which is about par with my SEIKO's).
I'm not obsessive about accuracy, but I find these are accurate to within a minute or two every couple of days, and that's acceptable to me. The day/date is easy to read and operates off its own winding stem.
These feel really good and solid on your wrist. I'm very pleased. They are not 'big' watches by current standards, and not gaudy or hey-look-at-me, but they are a good size and they exude a quiet quality where workmanship matters more than a designer name or high price-point.
They're durable. I don't baby my watches at all, yet I can find no scratches or marks on the case or crystal after about two years of frequent wear.
These are just great watches, they do what they claim to do, and I have no complaints.
The Orange dial is a matter of taste, and it's not for everybody. Personally if I could have only one RAY I would choose the blue dial. YMMV, and they're all the same high quality watch.

The stainless band version usually costs about $20 more than the black rubber 'diver's' band version, so if you are like me and plan to wear yours on a nylon NATO strap, you can save a few bucks by choosing the rubber strap version.

Lots of online videos and good user reviews of the RAY and also the MAKO on the various online watch forums.

Tip: Prices fluctuate, and vary wildly from vendor to vendor. i see these online around $90-115 shipped, and occasionally less. You can also 'put it in your cart' and wait to click 'buy' until the price dips to whatever you want to pay.
It always pays to comparison shop. And patience can be rewarding, too.

Hope this is helpful. Happy shopping, everybody.
on January 15, 2014
I bought this watch because I wanted to have an automatic from Orient and I found this particular design really attractive. It is water resistant to 200 meters, which means that while it is not rated to be diver's watch, you can use it for skin diving but may be limited in scuba diving depth. This watch is the new version of the Mako design with many improvements, both technical as well as in aesthetics. I really like the design and the size. I have a thin wrist and this watch look really good. The angled bezel makes it look thinner than it actually is. As far as accuracy goes, after wearing it for about 5 days I started tracking its performance for a total of eleven days and most days it lost around 2 seconds but one day it lost 3 and another day lost 4. The average for the 11 days was 2.28 seconds (lost 25 seconds in 11 days). I think that's really good performance. I used it day and night during that period. It's actually one of my best performing automatics at the moment with my best one being one of my Seiko 5's. Not sure how much performance will change in the future but I'm pretty happy with it right out of the box. I can't say anything about the bracelet since I'm wearing it on replacement NATO bands for now. I have a few that look really good with this watch, my favorite ones being the full orange and the black with single orange stripe. I would really recommend this watch to anyone looking for a good quality automatic at a very reasonable price.
on June 16, 2015
Love the watch so far. Has nice lum and easy to read at night. Gave it 4 out of 5 because the OEM springbars are junk, had 1 come lose today after a slight bump to my watch. Luckily it landed on a blanket or I would probably have a broken watch. I replacing them and I suggest you do it as well.
on January 15, 2015
Manual says that it has >40 hours reserve. Handsome looking appearance, but also has an annoyingly tight rotating bezel and a flimsy crown. I wouldn't want to change the time too often.

Chunky solid watch, nice polish, decent back. Non-hacking but apparently can manually wind. After a week, average accuracy is.+8 seconds/day. Acceptable for this price point.

Unlike premium watches, this Orient watch has a great deal of variability. Low variation when left on a watch winder. Considerable variation when worn actively.

Haven't tested it in the water.

Like almost all recent watches, it uses a non-radioactive lume. Sufficient for a short period of diving. Useless for night work. That said, the lume on this watch was intense while it lasted.

The watch was not too heavy and balanced well on my thin wrist.

Pleased with my purchase. Great value as a functional watch. Not a premium watch.