5.0 out of 5 stars The Honda of automatic watches
The Orient Mako has a great reputation among watch fans and it deserves to be a more widely known brand to the public at large. This watch, the "entry level" Orient, does many things well and is a wonderful introduction to the brand.

Published on April 3, 2010 by Severian

2.0 out of 5 stars broken crown stem
Published on June 8, 2009 by John C.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Honda of automatic watches, April 3, 2010
This review is from: Orient Men's CEM65002D 'Blue Mako' Automatic Dive Watch (Watch)

Orient is a small Japanese company that is partially owned by Seiko. They've been around for more than 50 years, and their claim to fame is that they are a mechanical watch producer that designs and makes 100% of their movements in-house. The in-house designation is significant as it means the company does more than just buy off the shelf designs but rather is directly involved in creating and tuning the mechanical heart of their product. Rolex is know for their in-house work, but even such costly brands as Omega, TAG Heuer, and Breitling have most of their movements made for them by other companies (ETA for the most part). To have a finely crafted automatic watch in this price range that has been designed and manufactured by the seller is rare to say the least. The watches are also hand made, and in Japan as well.

As mentioned this is an automatic watch. The watch cannot be hand wound so you need to shake it to start it, and then it winds itself as you move your arm during the day - no batteries needed. The timekeeping is a tad less precise than a quartz, and for this movement (Orient's 469) the manufacturer states you can normally expect to lose up to to 20 seconds slow or fast each day. (More on this later.) Two related points: if you want to keep reasonably accurate time, you need to reset your watch every week or so, and if you are utterly sedentary during the day (i.e. drive to work, sit at a desk, drive home, sit in front of the TV) the watch may not get enough winding to stay working. You hardly need to run a marathon, maybe 15 minutes of walking total throughout the day will probably keep your watch (and yourself!) functioning well. The power reserve for this movement is roughly 40 hours, which I believe is accurate based on my own tests. (This is the time the watch will take to stop after you take it off when it is fully wound up.) The watch has a day and date complication, with weekday available in Spanish and English. The date complication is not "quick adjusting" so the day and date should not be adjusted from the hours of 9 PM to 4 AM as the gears are in the process of slowly rotating both day and date dials in that time frame.

Minor annoyance for precisonists: the second hand cannot be "hacked" - that is, when you set the time by pulling the crown out, the second hand continues to turn. That means getting an exact time sync is a challenge, as you will be always be fast or slow by however many seconds the third hand is away from 12 o'clock when you push the crown in. Unless you are leading a commando team on a raid, this probably will not be a major issue, but more expensive Swiss movements like those by ETA do offer the hacking feature as do some pricier Seikos. This and the accuracy issue is the biggest negative differences between quartz ownership and owning an automatic.

As to accuracy --- Orient avoids building your hopes up as the manual tells you to expect +25 to -15 seconds of time loss of gain per day. However, over 3 weeks of testing, my Mako keeps time to within +5 seconds per day. This is phenomenal and is within the realm of COSC standards (the expensive and prestigious Swiss timekeeping standard that watches that cost twenty or more times as much as the Mako are tested to). For a watch costing less than a cell phone to meet this standard over time is pretty amazing! You may or may not get this accuracy - anecdotally, many other web reviewers seem to have encountered this level of accuracy in their tests, so I think Orient is on to something here...

As for durability --- the face of the watch is mineral crystal, not sapphire. The bracelet is solid filled links, and feels and looks costly. The watch itself is water resistant to 200 meters, and features two screw down crowns (one for time setting, one for setting the weekday.) The bezel is steel, and turns relatively easily; it is scalloped, not coin-edged (i.e. needs your thumb not your fingernail to turn). Lume is on the dial numbers, the hour and minute hands, and at the 12 o'clock position of the bezel. The lume is decent, but not as good as say the Seiko Monster series - it will last for maybe 4-6 hours of light after sustained exposure to bright light. Warranty is one year through the manufacturer. Packaging is mundane, the manual barely adequate. The watch will probably need a lube and tune up once every 3-5 years, my estimate.

The watch is attractive and understated in style, especially with its black face. Unlike other inexpensive mechanical watches in its price range (cough, Invicta) the Mako does not strive to slavishly imitate the Rolex Submariner, but instead has its own aesthetic going on. The watch case is 41 mm, and the face of the watch itself is the standard 30mm diameter. On my 7.5 inch wrist, this sizing is adequate, but if the watch were slightly bigger it would probably look nicer, at least according to current fashion. (The newer and pricier Mako II aka "Hogrider" is indeed bigger by 5 mm but for roughly 33% higher cost). The neatest thing about this (or any other good automatic) is watching the sweep of the second hand. The watch mainspring beats 6 times per second (21,600 bph), and the second hand has 6 distinct stops between each marked second on the face. This slow majestic sweep is far more elegant that the clunk-ka-chunk precise once per second movement of a quartz analog. The back of the watch is a solid screw-down design, enhancing durability but without showing the movement inside as "exhibtion" casebacks would. (This is the one point I prefer about the Invicta 8926, though arguably looking at the blah Citizen Miyota movement on the 8926 has pretty limited appeal...)

The watch itself is superbly made. Everything feels solid, from the bracelet to the crown to the bezel. There is an Orient logo on the face and on the bracelet that is not problematic due to its subtlety. This doesn't look like a Rolex, but the level of quality is immensely impressive given the price and few observers will think this is a cheap watch by just looking at it. One issue: Orient almost always ships the wrong manual with the watch. None of the watches in the manual I got looked like the actual model, and some features had to be puzzled out. You can also download the correct manual from the manufacturer's website.

All in all, for a dressy though sporty office watch, you can't go wrong with the Mako in black. As a stylish "beater", this would also be a good choice, as it is sturdy, handsome, and yet inexpensive enough that if you somehow did damage it, you wouldn't be crying the same tears that you would if you mashed up your $4,000 Omega Planet Ocean. If you were actually using this for diving, you would probably want either a different color face on your Mako or probably something with ISO Diver certification like the more expensive and less accurate Seiko Orange Monster.

The Orient Mako is a great watch, and hopefully at its low price point and high quality will help Orient establish itself firmly in the US market. Try one and see!

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, runs well, excellent price, January 25, 2012
jcazz (Indianapolis, IN United States) - See all my reviews
Length:: 7:54 Mins

I've got a few other Orient watches, so I've been aware of the brand for a while. I was recently in the market for a new dive style watch to replace an aging Seiko and I decided to give the Blue Mamo a try after reading so many positive reviews.

The watch arrived quickly and my first impressions were very positive. The blue face is very deep and seems to change colors depending on the light. It can range from almost black to iridescent blue. The bezel is a nice deep blue enamel that matches the dial nicely.

The bracelet is very nice for a watch in this price range, it's all solid stainless links, but where the bracelet joins the watches' lugs it is just a folded link, not a solid link. The folder over clasp works well and is very secure. I have a large wrist and the bracelet has plenty of length for me. Positive marks to Orient for making the bracelet long enough for a big wrist (one of my Orient's with a leather band is too short for comfort on my wrist, so I was a little worried about this watch). My other nit with the bracelet is that the links do scratch fairly easily. It's not a huge issue as the bracelet is subtly brushed, but it will scratch if you bang it on a desk or other hard surfaces.

The bezel is unidirectional, but like other reviewers have written it's VERY tight. My example takes two hands to turn, but it does turn. I'm hoping that it will losen up a little with more use.

The performance of my watch has been good. I don't have it down to seconds fast/slow per day, but it's been fine. An automatic watch is never going to be as accurate as a quartz watch. So far I've not had any issues with it making me late (or early) for any appointments.

The lume on the watch is nice and bright - a green color. I haven't gone out of my way to to expose it to bright light, but it's easy enough to read in the middle of the night when I wake up. The lume overall on my Seiko Black Monster is stronger, longer, but this is no problem to see in a dark room even after 5+ hours.

For the cost this watch is very impressive. I am very happy to have it in my collection.

Pros:
* Looks fantastic in person
* Large enough bracelet for good-sized wrist
* Keeps time well enough for an automatic
* Screw-down crowns for time/date & day
* 200M WR rating
* Solid links on bracelet (for all but end links)
* Good lume on numbers & hands - lume last a long time
* Orient makes all their movements in-house

Cons:
* Can't wind the watch manually, can't hack the movement.
* Bezel is extremely tight to turn
* Folded links at the ends (not solid)
* No lume on second hand
* Uses mineral crystal, could scratch easier than sapphire
* Bracelet links are pretty easy to scratch

5.0 out of 5 stars You cannot beat the value Orient gives you!, April 4, 2007
Angelis (New York City) - See all my reviews
This is the Orient CEM65002D.

This watch is a solid masterpiece. It is so solid, and so well-made, you won't believe how little you paid for it---a comparable Swiss piece would have cost at least $350.00 more. The blue dial is simply stunning--with a wet/glassy look to it. The contrasting blue bezel is beautiful, with very smooth clicking.

It has proven itself reliable to me, and it's a dressy dive watch. Let me tell you about the lume--very bright green.

It's one of Orient's best, and so so affordable.

I am sure you will love it, and it makes the perfect gift.

SPECS:

Movement Calibur: In-house 469, 21 jewel

Case material: Brushed solid stainless steel casing

Case dimensions: 40mm in diameter without the crown, 43mm in diameter with crown; 13mm in thickness

Bezel: Stainless steel

Crystal type: Scratch resistant mineral crystal

Crown: Signed screw-in crown, screw in date pusher

Water resistant: 200 meters

Face color: Blue--mirror-like

Lug size: 20mm

Band type: Brushed solid stainless steel bracelet with folding clasp with push button

Band length: 8.75 inches including the watch, sizable down to 6 inches

---Angelis

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Watch, Great Value!, May 3, 2008
Lpj8 (Tampa, FL) - See all my reviews
I have owned this watch for approximately 2 months now. I was hesitant to buy an Orient watch, mainly because I had never heard of the company. However, after a thorough search of user reviews, Orient stood out as offering an excellent watch for the money.

Pros:
-Awesome dial color. Classy design. Looks like a Sub homage, but with some distinctive design tweaks.
-Easy to read, dial is very clear.
-Has a nice weight to it. Fit and finish is very nice. Does not feel cheap.
-It wears well in numerous settings. Its dressy enough for a shirt and tie, but causal enough to wear with shorts and a teeshirt.
-Keeps excellent time for an automatic (about 2+ per day)
-Very efficient, I wear the watch 10 hours, five days a week, and it has not stopped.

Cons
- I "feel" the movement of this watch more so than other automatics I have owned. Some people won't see this as a con.
- The bracelet is comfortable, but it is not as substantial as the watch itself.
- Not a sapphire face

Overall, I am very impressed with the watch. It wears very comfortably and looks great!

2.0 out of 5 stars broken crown stem, June 8, 2009
I wore my 'Blue Mako' watch only a few times, so each time I wore it I needed to set the time and get the movement going. After less than a month the stem that attaches to the crown (the knob used to set the time) came loose and fell out of the case. The crown won't screw back into the case. Although under warranty I will have to ship the watch to L.A. at my expense and send $20 for return shipping cost. Numerous emails to Orient USA regarding this problem have gone unanswered.

5.0 out of 5 stars This watch should be in your collection like it is mine now, June 8, 2009
David Duty (Boquete, Panama Central America) - See all my reviews
I've been collecting watches for a number of years and I have some what most would consider high end watches that I paid over $3,000 for. This is my first Orient but it will NOT be my last.

This watch is stunning! The blue dial is just beautiful. The craftsmanship on this watch is every bit as good as some of the watches that I paid $1,000 for and I really mean that, not just hyping you.

The only thing(s) I don't like is that the second hand does not hack (stop so you can set the time to the exact second) and that you can't manually wind the watch; you have to put it on and wear it for it to wind and get it's power. I have only had the watch for three days now and it's only about 10 seconds fast in THREE days. That's amazing and it's much better than some of my Swiss watches are doing that I paid 15 times as much for.

This watch wears well and just as important it shows well. It does not look like a cheap watch my any stretch of the imagination. I ask a guy at breakfast this morning who was wearing a stainless Rolex how much he thought this watch cost and this was after I told him it was not expensive. He said $1,250. I can tell you that I've seen watches for that much money that can't compare to this watch.

Don't think about buying this watch because it's "cheap" as I can tell you that you will not be disappointed in the quality of this watch.

I liked it so much that I've ordered a "high end" Orient from Japan that you can't get in the USA. I can't wait to see one of their "high end" pieces after seeing what I got for $132 here on Amazon.

David

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPER dive watch, August 29, 2005
It's clearly one of those times you're happy like a child.. I got the watch in super fast speed and test it immediately. FANTASTIC. Let me explain. The blue color (specially in ring not the inside one) was clearly viewed at 37 meters in depth. And the watch is TYPICAL a diver watch: UNIdirectional ring, great phosphorus, accurate and great glass. The metal bracelet could be a little bit better and longer, but then whoever doesnt like it you can always change it. GREAT VALUE. YOU WANT IT.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch - With improvements could be perfect!, May 1, 2009
This is undoubtedly a great watch at a great value. There are a few minor issues, which I'd like to point out.

The bracelet is a multi-link solid stainless steel bracelet. I love when watch makers don't fake the bracelet links. However, the internal links only swivel at one end of the outer links. The links are a pretty tight fit, but are minimally noisy when you shake your wrist. As shown in the pictures, it can lay completely flat, which is great. The sides of the links are polished and the tops and bottoms are brushed. I really like this, since the parts that are most likely to get scratched are easily cleaned up with polishing wipes (aka Cape Cod wipes). The dual-deployment buckle is very solid and easy to deploy. In other words, you won't feel like you're ripping your fingernail off to take the watch off! The only issue I have with the bracelet is how the end links connect to the lugs or lug links. They seem to lock in place either horizontally or vertically. It's hard to describe in words, but it's somewhat frustrating.

The stainless steel watch case is similar in design to the bracelet, in that it's polished on the sides and brushed on the top. The case back however, is completely polished. The pusher and crown are both screw down. The screw down is very well done. There's no sense of missing the threads as in some lower quality watches. The crown 'pops' out very nicely.

The bezel and face are a really interesting blue. However, they do appear to be different shades of blue. The face is definitely a royal blue, while the bezel is more of a cobalt blue. It also depends on the angle. Both colors are quite nice and somehow seem to go well together.

Now onto the movement, which is the only real source of my frustrations. My first and major complaint (of the whole watch) is that you can't manually wind the watch. When the thing is 'dead' you have to shake the watch. Of course, it's an automatic, so that shouldn't be a big deal. I would rather wind it up (a lot) via the crown. The second major complaint I have is that the seconds hand doesn't stop when you're setting the watch. It's very hard to set it accurately, when the second hand continues to tick away. I don't like when the minute hand is sitting between tick points and the seconds hand is at 12. I haven't been able to test the accuracy yet, but according to the manual, it's between +/-30 seconds a day. I do hope that it's a little better than that, but I don't plan on wearing it every day, so that shouldn't be a big deal since I'll end up setting it every time I put it on.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the watch. It's clearly a great value and a nicely designed watch. If Orient can make the updates to the movement, it WILL be the perfect watch!

Pros
====
- Excellent finish
- Very easy to read dial. Lots of contrast
- Bright luminescent
- Great minor details, such as brand logo on crown and bracelet.
- Perfect size at ~41mm. Not too big, not too small
- Convenient day pusher
- Excellent screw down crown and pusher

Cons
====
- Bracelet end links lock into place. It doesn't make it uncomfortable, but depending on your wrist size, you may feel extra pressure on your wrist
- No manual wind with crown
- Seconds hand doesn't stop when setting the watch

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money but not perfect, December 8, 2009
AR PSU "aratpennstate" (State College, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this watch about 3 months ago from Amazon and have been using it daily [except weekends]. I moved from a quartz Casio and did a decent amount of research. As mentioned in other reviews here and on watch sites, Orient watches are good products. My experience has been positive overall. Here are some observations based on my use:

* I have medium sized hands (about 8-9 inches in circumference) and the watch looks fine on the wrist... not too big or thick IMO.

* The watch has a Japanese automatic movement. FYI, automatic movements are powered by motion (say of your hand when wearing the watch or when it is on a winder) and not a battery. The movement is pretty accurate and it looses about 10sec/day on average [more initially and then settles down]. This is excellent for something costing <$150.

* The watch moves from dates 1-30 and doesn't automatically adjust for the 31st of a month. This is understandable for the price [those that account for this are typically much more expensive] but is a pain in practice as the watch needs to be re-adjusted manually every time [unless I am doing something wrong].

* Another annoyance with the watch is that the date changes somewhere between 10 and 12 every 24 hours. So, if you have set the time to 9am when the watch is in the "9pm" position internally (remember, the watch doesn't show am/pm), it will move to the next day/date at about noon. This is not a fault but something that you need to keep in mind when setting the time to get accurate day/date movement. Simple fix if you see the problem; just move the hands by 12 hours and reset the date/day accordingly.

* The watch came off when I was playing catch outside... not a game but just casually in the yard with a friend. I didn't knock it anywhere and it just came off from the movement presumably. Clearly not meant to be worn when playing but I was surprised at the relatively flimsy construction. Was able to fix it by reinserting the rod where the band is fixed to the main watch. A couple of scratches from the drop.

* Power reserve is <48 hours. So if you take it off on Friday, it will have stopped before Sunday evening. So, it'll require a little bit of use over the weekend or a winder. Just keep this in mind when evaluating the watch and your typical use patterns.

* Luminescence is poor ... the markers (which are too small in my opinion) on the face glow decently for a short time and then fade out. You can't really see them after about 3 hours or less. For a diver watch, this is unacceptable.

* I have not used it for any diving, only swimming so can't comment on water resistance (the watch is rated to 200m) other than to say it worked fine after a dip in the pool! The bezel is a bit hard to turn but feels solid. As a dive watch, you don't want it to turn too easily. In comparison to a friends Rolex diver, the bezel's movement in the Mako is less pleasing.

* The watch looks great!! I've received positive comments from a couple of friends who own a Rolex and Omega respectively. Given the price, I think it is really good.

* The watch arrived in what I can only describe as a "sleeve" ... essentially a piece of cardboard wrapped around the watch box (which was covered by a layer of bubble wrap itself). I was disappointed with Amazon's packing.

Despite some criticism above, I must emphasize that I like the watch, have no regrets on the purchase so far and would recommend it to a friend. Good luck with your search and purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking for an automatic watch with quality, style, accuracy? Start here., July 21, 2014
Stephen Dempsey (Haddon Heights, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
I've now had the Orient CEM65002D, commonly called the "Blue Mako" in watch circles, for three weeks. It's been on my wrist every day all day over that entire time, I think that's long enough to get a good feel for the watch. Disclaimer: I've had one watch for the last 17 years and this was to replace that. I'm not a watch collector or expert so this is the opinion of an average user looking for a watch to wear every day, but looking for value but with a quasi heirloom quality, something I can pass on to my daughter as a keepsake someday. I think I found it in the Blue Mako.

First thing, this is an automatic watch meaning it is a mechanical watch with gears and springs and stuff and it is self winding. Mechanical watches are not as dead-on accurate as a quartz but they give you a sense of being hand crafted. If you value the idea of wearing a high precision hand crafted machine on your wrist and don't need sub second accuracy this is a good place to start. That's where I was. I wanted a keepsake watch that I could give to my daughter down the line and not feel like I was giving her a dressed up circuit board but rather a precision hand crafted timepiece, all without spending thousands. This fit the bill nicely.

So how accurate is it? Well I tracked mine over the past three weeks. I basically noted the time on the watch and recorded the time on my PC as a reference clock. Not the most accurate method but best I could do. What I found was that over three weeks, it gains about 2-3 seconds per day. For a mechanical watch this is very very good. From what I've read, top of the line Swiss mechanical watches from companies like Rolex and Omega are no better than this. You will have to adjust the time once a month, give or take, as these daily errors add up. For me this is not a big deal, especially since I travel across time zones periodically and need to adjust my watch anyway. So accuracy meets my needs.

Styling is great. The red second hand, the large numbers on the dial, the chrome surround on the day/date window, the polished edges and brushed top all give the watch a very "finished" look and to me it looks more expensive than it is. Many people complain that the bracelet has "hollow end links" i.e. cheap links to hold it to the watch. Well, this isn't a high cost item so the cost came out somewhere. Still, I had no issues with the bracelet until a few days ago when it started to rattle a little. One end link has loosed up. So unless I can fix that I will likely have to change the bracelet out at some point. Not a big deal.

Dive functionality isn't perfect. It lacks a bracelet dive extension to accommodate fit over a wet suit. The glow on the dial is very bright initially but fades fairly quickly so may not be that useful under water. For some the bezel is too stiff to easily use but for me the bezel was a little stiff first time, nowhere near as much as others say they've experienced. After rotating it around a few times it now spins very easily. I think this stiff bezel thing might be an issue which resolves itself with use. I like the style of a dive watch more than the function as I'm not a diver. These imperfections don't really effect me but they're worth noting. I can say after taking it into my pool every day that the watch is water resistant for swimming at least. Can't say how it handles depth. Truthfully, if you are looking for a workhorse watch for diving, probably not this one. It's more suited for a casual person who likes dive style watches and may get it wet but won't rely on it for life and limb under water.

Overall I really love this watch. I highly recommend it.

Orient Men's CEM65002D 'Blue Mako' Automatic Dive Watch