Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

The Orient Mako has a great reputation among watch fans and it deserves to be a more widely known brand to the public at large. This watch, the "entry level" Orient, does many things well and is a wonderful introduction to the brand.

Orient is a small Japanese company that is partially owned by Seiko. They've been around for more than 50 years, and their claim to fame is that they are a mechanical watch producer that designs and makes 100% of their movements in-house. The in-house designation is significant as it means the company does more than just buy off the shelf designs but rather is directly involved in creating and tuning the mechanical heart of their product. Rolex is know for their in-house work, but even such costly brands as Omega, TAG Heuer, and Breitling have most of their movements made for them by other companies (ETA for the most part). To have a finely crafted automatic watch in this price range that has been designed and manufactured by the seller is rare to say the least. The watches are also hand made, and in Japan as well.

As mentioned this is an automatic watch. The watch cannot be hand wound so you need to shake it to start it, and then it winds itself as you move your arm during the day - no batteries needed. The timekeeping is a tad less precise than a quartz, and for this movement (Orient's 469) the manufacturer states you can normally expect to lose up to to 20 seconds slow or fast each day. (More on this later.) Two related points: if you want to keep reasonably accurate time, you need to reset your watch every week or so, and if you are utterly sedentary during the day (i.e. drive to work, sit at a desk, drive home, sit in front of the TV) the watch may not get enough winding to stay working. You hardly need to run a marathon, maybe 15 minutes of walking total throughout the day will probably keep your watch (and yourself!) functioning well. The power reserve for this movement is roughly 40 hours, which I believe is accurate based on my own tests. (This is the time the watch will take to stop after you take it off when it is fully wound up.) The watch has a day and date complication, with weekday available in Spanish and English. The date complication is not "quick adjusting" so the day and date should not be adjusted from the hours of 9 PM to 4 AM as the gears are in the process of slowly rotating both day and date dials in that time frame.

Minor annoyance for precisonists: the second hand cannot be "hacked" - that is, when you set the time by pulling the crown out, the second hand continues to turn. That means getting an exact time sync is a challenge, as you will be always be fast or slow by however many seconds the third hand is away from 12 o'clock when you push the crown in. Unless you are leading a commando team on a raid, this probably will not be a major issue, but more expensive Swiss movements like those by ETA do offer the hacking feature as do some pricier Seikos. This and the accuracy issue is the biggest negative differences between quartz ownership and owning an automatic.

As to accuracy --- Orient avoids building your hopes up as the manual tells you to expect +25 to -15 seconds of time loss of gain per day. However, over 3 weeks of testing, my Mako keeps time to within +5 seconds per day. This is phenomenal and is within the realm of COSC standards (the expensive and prestigious Swiss timekeeping standard that watches that cost twenty or more times as much as the Mako are tested to). For a watch costing less than a cell phone to meet this standard over time is pretty amazing! You may or may not get this accuracy - anecdotally, many other web reviewers seem to have encountered this level of accuracy in their tests, so I think Orient is on to something here...

As for durability --- the face of the watch is mineral crystal, not sapphire. The bracelet is solid filled links, and feels and looks costly. The watch itself is water resistant to 200 meters, and features two screw down crowns (one for time setting, one for setting the weekday.) The bezel is steel, and turns relatively easily; it is scalloped, not coin-edged (i.e. needs your thumb not your fingernail to turn). Lume is on the dial numbers, the hour and minute hands, and at the 12 o'clock position of the bezel. The lume is decent, but not as good as say the Seiko Monster series - it will last for maybe 4-6 hours of light after sustained exposure to bright light. Warranty is one year through the manufacturer. Packaging is mundane, the manual barely adequate. The watch will probably need a lube and tune up once every 3-5 years, my estimate.

The watch is attractive and understated in style, especially with its black face. Unlike other inexpensive mechanical watches in its price range (cough, Invicta) the Mako does not strive to slavishly imitate the Rolex Submariner, but instead has its own aesthetic going on. The watch case is 41 mm, and the face of the watch itself is the standard 30mm diameter. On my 7.5 inch wrist, this sizing is adequate, but if the watch were slightly bigger it would probably look nicer, at least according to current fashion. (The newer and pricier Mako II aka "Hogrider" is indeed bigger by 5 mm but for roughly 33% higher cost). The neatest thing about this (or any other good automatic) is watching the sweep of the second hand. The watch mainspring beats 6 times per second (21,600 bph), and the second hand has 6 distinct stops between each marked second on the face. This slow majestic sweep is far more elegant that the clunk-ka-chunk precise once per second movement of a quartz analog. The back of the watch is a solid screw-down design, enhancing durability but without showing the movement inside as "exhibtion" casebacks would. (This is the one point I prefer about the Invicta 8926, though arguably looking at the blah Citizen Miyota movement on the 8926 has pretty limited appeal...)

The watch itself is superbly made. Everything feels solid, from the bracelet to the crown to the bezel. There is an Orient logo on the face and on the bracelet that is not problematic due to its subtlety. This doesn't look like a Rolex, but the level of quality is immensely impressive given the price and few observers will think this is a cheap watch by just looking at it. One issue: Orient almost always ships the wrong manual with the watch. None of the watches in the manual I got looked like the actual model, and some features had to be puzzled out. You can also download the correct manual from the manufacturer's website.

All in all, for a dressy though sporty office watch, you can't go wrong with the Mako in black. As a stylish "beater", this would also be a good choice, as it is sturdy, handsome, and yet inexpensive enough that if you somehow did damage it, you wouldn't be crying the same tears that you would if you mashed up your $4,000 Omega Planet Ocean. If you were actually using this for diving, you would probably want either a different color face on your Mako or probably something with ISO Diver certification like the more expensive and less accurate Seiko Orange Monster.

The Orient Mako is a great watch, and hopefully at its low price point and high quality will help Orient establish itself firmly in the US market. Try one and see!
33 comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2012
I've got a few other Orient watches, so I've been aware of the brand for a while. I was recently in the market for a new dive style watch to replace an aging Seiko and I decided to give the Blue Mamo a try after reading so many positive reviews.

The watch arrived quickly and my first impressions were very positive. The blue face is very deep and seems to change colors depending on the light. It can range from almost black to iridescent blue. The bezel is a nice deep blue enamel that matches the dial nicely.

The bracelet is very nice for a watch in this price range, it's all solid stainless links, but where the bracelet joins the watches' lugs it is just a folded link, not a solid link. The folder over clasp works well and is very secure. I have a large wrist and the bracelet has plenty of length for me. Positive marks to Orient for making the bracelet long enough for a big wrist (one of my Orient's with a leather band is too short for comfort on my wrist, so I was a little worried about this watch). My other nit with the bracelet is that the links do scratch fairly easily. It's not a huge issue as the bracelet is subtly brushed, but it will scratch if you bang it on a desk or other hard surfaces.

The bezel is unidirectional, but like other reviewers have written it's VERY tight. My example takes two hands to turn, but it does turn. I'm hoping that it will losen up a little with more use.

The performance of my watch has been good. I don't have it down to seconds fast/slow per day, but it's been fine. An automatic watch is never going to be as accurate as a quartz watch. So far I've not had any issues with it making me late (or early) for any appointments.

The lume on the watch is nice and bright - a green color. I haven't gone out of my way to to expose it to bright light, but it's easy enough to read in the middle of the night when I wake up. The lume overall on my Seiko Black Monster is stronger, longer, but this is no problem to see in a dark room even after 5+ hours.

For the cost this watch is very impressive. I am very happy to have it in my collection.

Pros:
* Looks fantastic in person
* Large enough bracelet for good-sized wrist
* Keeps time well enough for an automatic
* Screw-down crowns for time/date & day
* 200M WR rating
* Solid links on bracelet (for all but end links)
* Good lume on numbers & hands - lume last a long time
* Orient makes all their movements in-house

Cons:
* Can't wind the watch manually, can't hack the movement.
* Bezel is extremely tight to turn
* Folded links at the ends (not solid)
* No lume on second hand
* Uses mineral crystal, could scratch easier than sapphire
* Bracelet links are pretty easy to scratch
33 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 3, 2008
I have owned this watch for approximately 2 months now. I was hesitant to buy an Orient watch, mainly because I had never heard of the company. However, after a thorough search of user reviews, Orient stood out as offering an excellent watch for the money.

Pros:
-Awesome dial color. Classy design. Looks like a Sub homage, but with some distinctive design tweaks.
-Easy to read, dial is very clear.
-Has a nice weight to it. Fit and finish is very nice. Does not feel cheap.
-It wears well in numerous settings. Its dressy enough for a shirt and tie, but causal enough to wear with shorts and a teeshirt.
-Keeps excellent time for an automatic (about 2+ per day)
-Very efficient, I wear the watch 10 hours, five days a week, and it has not stopped.

Cons
- I "feel" the movement of this watch more so than other automatics I have owned. Some people won't see this as a con.
- The bracelet is comfortable, but it is not as substantial as the watch itself.
- Not a sapphire face

Overall, I am very impressed with the watch. It wears very comfortably and looks great!
review image review image
on January 18, 2013
(One month ownership review added Feb 21 below!)

Orient was a brand that I was familiar with from years ago based on their name. However, I was not aware of their In-house based production of really good automatic watches until I started investigating here on Amazon and on the net in general. Pretty soon, it was evident that the Mako was a bit of a legendary timepiece and got rave reviews in forums and also here on Amazon. In short, about a week ago I placed my order on Amazon for the Blue Mako and today, about one hour ago I got it to my door by UPS.

Packaging:

The actual watch box comes in the usual Amazon box with bubble wrap for protection. The outer, white Orient box was without damage. Inside the white box is the beautiful Orient black box with a metal badge with the Orient logo. Opening it, the watch sits securely on a white pillow with all plastic and paper protection intact on the band and clasp as well. In the box is also the guarantee and instructional booklets.

The watch:

First impression, the watch simply looks stunning! No pictures or videos I have seen online can justify how good it looks in person. Taking it off the pillow and holding it, it feels nice and heavy like a quality watch should. Many reviewers has praised the blue dial and I have to agree. It has a dark shimmer and in dim lighting appears almost black. Turning it slightly towards any light source, the deep blue colour comes through beautifully. Everything on the dial is clear and well proportioned and looks really classy and high quality. It is actually hard to believe that I am looking at a 119 dollar watch! Owning several watches including an IWC Ingenieur automatic with white dial (price around 8000USD) the Blue Mako holds its own amazingly in comparison. It actually puzzles me a bit! :)

The watch was already ticking along as i opened the box. The second hand has the familiar smooth movement around the dial. Setting the time and date was simple and quick using the screw down crowns. This is also clearly described in the manual. I found a point to set it with my iPhone clock so I am curious to see the accuracy since Orient automatic movements are known to be as/more accurate than movements found in Omegas and TAG's.

The bezel has been a subject in many reviews. Some say that its really hard to move. Mine moves like a charm using two fingers. It feels nice and firm. Maybe Orient has responded to some of the feedback they have gotten through the years about this?

The movement:

The Orient In-house automatic movement's has gotten rave reviews all over the net. I think Orient really has made an effort to make the movement the best feature of their watches. For me, this is the most important part of an automatic watch. To think that brands such as Breitling, TAG and IWC uses "out-of house" movements is a bit of a turn off! The In-house Orient movement is really what makes this watch a true gem!

The bracelet:

Bracelet feels solid and, in my opinion, not flimsy or cheap at all as a few reviewers have stated. Also, I am a person who tries to take good care of my watches so I expect it to do its job for many years. The clasps are secure and is easy to open and close

The size:

First off, I am used to wearing substantially larger watches. My IWC is around 46 mm including crown and I have got several other large chronographs. I was a bit concerned that the Mako would look small since I have large wrists and hands. It is definetely smaller than what I am used to but it has a very nice prescence on the wrist. Because of its size and general design it looks nicely understated, classy and masculine. For me it makes a nice change. The watch will look great with any wear and in any situation.

The price:

The price tag on this marvellous watch is the most amazing. To be able to buy such a great looking/feeling automatic watch with in-house movement of such quality for 119 USD is hands down fantastic and a bit unbelievable. I checked the retail price for the Mako here in Norway and it retails for between 4 and 500 dollars!

Finally, if you are bit by the Mako bug, look no further. Order it! It is an amazing watch at an unbelievable price!

I will update the review after seeing how the Mako performs for the next few weeks!

ONE MONTH UPDATE, February 21, 2013:

So I have had my Blue Mako for about a month. I have worn it almost constantly, usually alternating with my other new Orient purchase, the Thresher. I have jogged with it, swam, showered and worked with it. The crystal has no scratches and the bracelet has held up with no problems. The bezel moves easily but firmly. I had no issues with water leaking in or mist on the inside of the crystal.

The accuracy is amazing! When I wear it several days in a row it has slowed down just 5-10 seconds during a 7 day period. The 40 hour power reserve is great. When I dont use the watch for a day or two, it still runs and is ready for use.

Setting the time, day and date is ultra easy. Some reviewers complain about the extra crown for setting the day but I think its one of those things that sets the Mako apart from other similar watches.

I love the design and the blue dial colour. It is timless, discreet and classy. I have worn it with suits as well as my jogging gear and it fits perfectly.

As I stated in my original review(above), the size of the Mako makes a difference to me compared to my other watches which are significantly larger. However, even when I have worn my IWC (46mm), my Roamer chrono (also 46mm) or my Nautica chronograph (53mm) and switches to the Mako, it has a great prescence and feeling on the wrist, although smaller and more discrete. A nice change and a more classic look.

So after one month of use I can still recommend the Blue Mako 100%!
review image review image review image
on April 4, 2007
This is the Orient CEM65002D.

This watch is a solid masterpiece. It is so solid, and so well-made, you won't believe how little you paid for it---a comparable Swiss piece would have cost at least $350.00 more. The blue dial is simply stunning--with a wet/glassy look to it. The contrasting blue bezel is beautiful, with very smooth clicking.

It has proven itself reliable to me, and it's a dressy dive watch. Let me tell you about the lume--very bright green.

It's one of Orient's best, and so so affordable.

I am sure you will love it, and it makes the perfect gift.

SPECS:

Movement Calibur: In-house 469, 21 jewel

Case material: Brushed solid stainless steel casing

Case dimensions: 40mm in diameter without the crown, 43mm in diameter with crown; 13mm in thickness

Bezel: Stainless steel

Crystal type: Scratch resistant mineral crystal

Crown: Signed screw-in crown, screw in date pusher

Water resistant: 200 meters

Face color: Blue--mirror-like

Lug size: 20mm

Band type: Brushed solid stainless steel bracelet with folding clasp with push button

Band length: 8.75 inches including the watch, sizable down to 6 inches

---Angelis
66 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2012
UPDATE: I couldn't keep the date knob tightly closed because there is no friction to speak of on the threads. So after 3 years 5 months the dial fogged up indicating internal moisture and some degree of corrosion. Orient only warrantes against defects for 1 year. It remains to this day the only watch out of 2 dozen or so mechanical watches I've owned to EVER fog up. It remained to the end more accurate than my Omegas. Three years use for $100 is fair I suppose. I replaced it with an Orient Aviator.

I got mine for a ridiculous $106 (plus really cheap shipping to me here in Japan). For that cost this watch is just amazing. Orient must be loosing money on each one they sell just to hook buyers on their brand? IT WORKED.

Visual style is a great balance of toughness and class. Can wear with a wetsuit (200m WR but not ISO) or a business suit. The rotating bezel has suitably small numbers sufficient for timing events or recording intervals which I do frequently; but the numbers aren't over-the-top huge. Dial is a beautiful electric blue. Looks almost black in most lighting; in sunlight or bright lights the blue iridescence is visible. Not like in the stock photos.. more of a radial pattern; I'll try to capture it in a pic and post.

Visual workmanship is astounding in this price range. Hour and minute markers are perfect under 10x magnification; better than my Omega speedmaster and seamasters. Basically it's a 'retina dial'(to copy Apple's term); if there are imperfections they can not be seen with the un-aided eye.

Accuracy. Best of all my mechanical watches. Far better than my Speedmaster and Seamaster. Note, if you are new to collecting watches and care MOST about accuracy, get a digital watch. The reasons for accepting some loss in accuracy to use a purely mechanical watch vary by individual. As for me I enjoy owning a finely made and well operating machine. The movement of a modern mechanical watch CAN really be an amazing combination of value and performance. I say CAN because there are many expensive mechanical watches which keep bad time. I own(ed) two Omegas which were just pathetic. I thought the 7S26 in my Seiko's was acceptably accurate. The Miyota movements Invicta uses are acceptable as well. However my new standard is the In-house(!) movement in this Orient. It, as well as the watch are ASSEMBLED BY HAND IN JAPAN. I thought that impossible in a watch at this price range. Again, Orient must be loosing money on each.
...So, the accuracy: I set the watch a few days ago and have been checking it a few times a day. It fluctuates in a range of -20 to +20 seconds a day, but depending on my level of activity it runs faster or slower, so looking at it now.. it happens to be at -2 seconds to GPS time. Yes, 2 seconds. My Omegas and Seikos consistently loose time each day until they need to be reset by hand. This $100 orient just trumps my $2,000 Omega in accuracy. I used to be impressed with those brand names; now I want a mechanical watch which tells me what time it IS.
[long term update: used it a few weeks now, and it cycles between running a little fast when sitting on the dresser, and running a little slow. Overall it has not been outside +/-30 seconds. Most importantly, it does not consistently gain or lose time. Remarkable]

Bracelet. Solid links, Divers clasp, my favorite design, the oyster type. I don't have the adjusting tool with me here so I'm wearing it on a 22MM NATO band currently. Very comfortable. update: adjusted the links.. Very comfortable bracelet which 'disappears' so it is not consciously felt. Three micro adjustment holes on the clasp which are great for fine adjustments as one's wrist swells or shrinks with temperature etc. these are adjustable easily with a simple push-pin(tack).

To be continued, just one more point for now, this is not a real ISO dive watch. It fails some of the criteria in ISO 6425. However, when I dive I'm going to have a dive computer as primary, and some watch as a backup; not the other way around.

In short, this is the most accurate mechanical watch I own. One of the best looking for almost any situation, and an absolute STEAL at $110 or so. This ranks up with the Invicta divers and the Seiko Monsters as a classic affordable mechanical watch. If this was lost or stolen I'd order another immediately for fear Orient might stop making these or raise the price.

Update: Another three week trial: Indicated time varies from +\-30 seconds. Checked it today and it's at +20. This is not just acceptable, it is astounding for a mechanical watch at any price point. 10x more accurate than my Omega and 20x my buddies Rolex. This is the first mechanical watch I can truly TRUST to stay within one minute.

The one negative comment I have is with the knurled knob used to adjust the Day. No matter how I try to tighten it, it loosens. This will negatively affect the water resistant rating.
on July 21, 2014
I've now had the Orient CEM65002D, commonly called the "Blue Mako" in watch circles, for three weeks. It's been on my wrist every day all day over that entire time, I think that's long enough to get a good feel for the watch. Disclaimer: I've had one watch for the last 17 years and this was to replace that. I'm not a watch collector or expert so this is the opinion of an average user looking for a watch to wear every day, but looking for value but with a quasi heirloom quality, something I can pass on to my daughter as a keepsake someday. I think I found it in the Blue Mako.

First thing, this is an automatic watch meaning it is a mechanical watch with gears and springs and stuff and it is self winding. Mechanical watches are not as dead-on accurate as a quartz but they give you a sense of being hand crafted. If you value the idea of wearing a high precision hand crafted machine on your wrist and don't need sub second accuracy this is a good place to start. That's where I was. I wanted a keepsake watch that I could give to my daughter down the line and not feel like I was giving her a dressed up circuit board but rather a precision hand crafted timepiece, all without spending thousands. This fit the bill nicely.

So how accurate is it? Well I tracked mine over the past three weeks. I basically noted the time on the watch and recorded the time on my PC as a reference clock. Not the most accurate method but best I could do. What I found was that over three weeks, it gains about 2-3 seconds per day. For a mechanical watch this is very very good. From what I've read, top of the line Swiss mechanical watches from companies like Rolex and Omega are no better than this. You will have to adjust the time once a month, give or take, as these daily errors add up. For me this is not a big deal, especially since I travel across time zones periodically and need to adjust my watch anyway. So accuracy meets my needs.

Styling is great. The red second hand, the large numbers on the dial, the chrome surround on the day/date window, the polished edges and brushed top all give the watch a very "finished" look and to me it looks more expensive than it is. Many people complain that the bracelet has "hollow end links" i.e. cheap links to hold it to the watch. Well, this isn't a high cost item so the cost came out somewhere. Still, I had no issues with the bracelet until a few days ago when it started to rattle a little. One end link has loosed up. So unless I can fix that I will likely have to change the bracelet out at some point. Not a big deal.

Dive functionality isn't perfect. It lacks a bracelet dive extension to accommodate fit over a wet suit. The glow on the dial is very bright initially but fades fairly quickly so may not be that useful under water. For some the bezel is too stiff to easily use but for me the bezel was a little stiff first time, nowhere near as much as others say they've experienced. After rotating it around a few times it now spins very easily. I think this stiff bezel thing might be an issue which resolves itself with use. I like the style of a dive watch more than the function as I'm not a diver. These imperfections don't really effect me but they're worth noting. I can say after taking it into my pool every day that the watch is water resistant for swimming at least. Can't say how it handles depth. Truthfully, if you are looking for a workhorse watch for diving, probably not this one. It's more suited for a casual person who likes dive style watches and may get it wet but won't rely on it for life and limb under water.

Overall I really love this watch. I highly recommend it.
on July 10, 2015
I did a great deal of research on this watch vs. the Seiko SKX before purchasing. It came down to the fact that my current watch selection did not include any watches with numbers and didn't have any blue. I went back and forth on getting the Pepsi vs. black vs. blue vs. the SKX models. I read reviews, read forum posts on WatchUSeek, and tried to figure out if I'd be happy. Quite a bit for a $140-$180 purchase.

Anyway, I chose the blue Mako and could not be happier. I'm sure I'd have been happy with any color or the SKX because these are all watches you can't go wrong with. My first impression was that this watch looks better than the pictures. I had thought the numbers on the bezel looked kind of cheezy and had heard that the bracelet was flimsy. When you see the watch in person, it looks great. The navy on the bezel is dark with sort of a satin finish. The blue on the dial has a sunburst that really comes out with the light shines on it. The white numbers have a chrome around them and are risen off the dial just enough to create depth. The Orient logo actually looks great I think and the fonts chosen work really well with the look of the watch. I would feel comfortable wearing this with anything from a suit to a swimsuit on the beach.

The movement is cool as this is my first automatic. Similar to the Precisionist movement, but not quite as smooth. More of a constant ticking, yet noiseless. The bracelet feels as solid as my Seiko and Bulova, despite the hollow end links. It has a brushed stainless finish, except for the sides, which I thought I'd hate because I love shiny things. It actually compliments the watches looks well as it tones it down a bit. The sides of the bezel are polished so it gives it a bit of a transition. If all of it was polished, it would be a little too fancy looking as well as lend itself to scratches. The double clasp really works well and feels solid. The bezel moves easily as well. The lume is better than any other watch I have, though I've heard it's better on the Ray and the SKX, which both have circular indices with more surface area so that makes sense.

The screw down crowns are easy to operate and the day crown is actually pretty cool and different. It makes changing the date pretty easy. My first order of business was to go for a run - held up great and gave me a good charge to the spring system. I honestly can't stop looking at this watch and has made me very happy. Being mechanical, it's also that much more interesting in my opinion and the fact is has a great water rating.

If you're looking for a watch to wear every day for basically any situation, I'd get this one. In blue. Black works well too, but for me, I wear more browns and I just haven't gotten into mixing brown and black for the most part. Get some NATO straps or leather straps and you have a watch that can be dressed up or dressed down, taken into the water, beaten up a little bit all for under $200. You can't go wrong. I'm very pleased with this purchase!
review image review image review image review image review image
on October 11, 2014
If you have an interest in getting a reasonably priced automatic (self winding) watch, the Orient Mako is a great place to start. It has rugged good looks, is accurate - especially for a mechanical watch, and just a nice piece of man jewelry. The distinctive blue face is easy to read, and I really like the day and date display.

If you've never owned a mechanical or automatic watch before, you may be a bit disappointed by the difference between a mechanical watch and a quartz watch. Generally speaking, a mechanical watch will never be as accurate as a quartz watch. A quartz watch is frequently accurate to within a five or ten seconds a month, and can run for a year to as much as five years on a single battery. A mechanical watch is powered by a spring instead of a battery, and even the best are probably only accurate to a minute a month or so. An automatic watch is a subset of a mechanical watch. Its spring is wound by the movement of your wrist while performing daily activities such as walking, exercising, etc., and as long as you are moderately active, should run continuously for you without a hitch. Fully wound, an automatic watch will run for about a day and a half on the reserve power stored in the watch's spring and no additional movement. Some automatic watches let you hand wind the crown or watch stem, but not the Orient Mako line. You have to start the watch by just gently shaking the watch simulating the swinging movement your wrist would make if you were walking normally. Once started, set the watch and start your daily routine. The automatic movement will take care of the rest.

So if a mechanical watch is less accurate than a quartz watch, why buy one? It's a matter taste. You can instantly tell the difference between a quartz and mechanical watch just by looking at the second hand. A quartz watch's second hand jumps at one second intervals while a mechanical watch's second hand sweeps smoothly around the face of the watch. It's not a big deal, but it's a dead give away. Owning a mechanical watch is also a tip of the hat to the craftsmen who make and assemble them. It's a skill, probably a dying skill, and it's amazing to me that they can craft such a fine piece of machinery for at price that so many people can afford. I own a couple of quartz watches too, and they're amazing in their own way, but they have more in common with a laptop computer or a cell phone.
on November 9, 2013
The Orient Mako is a phenomenal choice for the sub $150 price point, but it has some flaws. It was my first automatic and I'll always look fondly at it.

Unlike most affordable dive watches which are homages to the Rolex Submariner, the Orient Mako is an homage to the Omega Seamaster. This makes the watch stand out a bit more among a sea of Submariner look-alikes. Orient is a company heavily tied to Seiko, so you can be sure that the automatic movement powering this watch is affordable but rugged and effective. If you're new to watches and don't understand automatics (as many first-time Orient buyers are), let me explain a couple things.

First of all, the watch is powered by motion, not a battery. That means if you don't wear the watch (or put it on a watch winder) for a couple of days, the watch will stop (depending on the length of the energy reserve in the movement). Second of all, automatics are much less accurate than quartz. If they're less accurate, why would one want an automatic? Well, not having to change a battery is an obvious benefit, but there's a certain je ne sais quoi about automatics. It's just a different feeling wearing the watch to know that your movement is helping power a series of rotors and gears to power a timepiece with absolutely no electricity. Automatics also have much smoother second hand than quartzes, which have very jagged "ticks." The sweeping second hand is very addictive once you notice it!

Opening the watch for the first time, I was quite impressed. The dial is a very nice shade of blue. Indoors it can be mistaken for black, but outdoors or in high-light situations, it's a beautiful light royal blue, similar to the hue on the picture here. The watch has a nice weight to it. It is 43mm in diameter, but wears smaller than that to a nice medium size.

DIAL, CRYSTAL, AND LUME
Like I said before, the watch is a Seamaster homage, with the large 6 9 and 12. It also shows the date and day, which can be adjusted to either Spanish or English. The lume is quite nice and bright, but it doesn't last terribly long (in my experience, it begins to fade after 30-45 minutes). The dial notes the 200m water resistance of the watch, which I cannot verify as I've never taken it diving. I've read several accounts of people diving with Makos, and I myself swim with it with no problem. Like most cheaper watches, the crystal is mineral crystal and not sapphire. Mineral crystals are more shatter-resistant than sapphire but scratch more easily. The crystal also smudges often in my experience. The crown is at 3 o'clock and the button at 2 o'clock quick-changes the day.

BEZEL
60 click unidirectional bezel. It has a good grip to it and turns well enough, but one little detail drives me crazy: the arrow does not line up perfectly with 12 O'clock on the watch. Many dive watches are like this, so it isn't a knock specifically against the Mako. It's mostly a function of having a 60 click instead of a 120 click bezel.

BRACELET
Very nice brushed stainless steel. It has a good weight to it and is very attractive. However, the end-links are hollow. This won't bother you at first, but with experience you'll appreciate solid end-links as they are more sturdy. On the Mako, the end-links and springbar tend to get bent so the end-links may actually "lift up" as you wear the watch. I suspect this is an easy fix that involves bending the bottoms of the end links and replacing the spring bars, but I haven't done it yet. A decent third-party stainless steel bracelet will end up running you over half as much as you paid for the watch itself. As such I can't say it's worth it financially to replace the bracelet on this watch with another stainless steel one, but NATOs and leather straps are also options and are substantially cheaper.

Overall, the Orient Mako is beautiful, a great value and I don't think there's a better option at this price-point. The downsides of this watch that I pointed out (mineral crystal, short lume, the bracelet) are downsides in almost every single affordable diver out there. Still, I wanted to note them so that no one buys this watch thinking its quality will match that of a much more expensive one.