5.0 out of 5 stars Big, Heavy, and Stunning!
Published on March 27, 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch is OK except for the bracelet and poor regulation
UPDATE

After 3 months, this watch stopped running. I sent it back to Orient to fix and also asked them to regulate the watch, it is losing 20-30 seconds a day. Orient took 4 months to get it back to me without contacting me once. They did fix it - but it still runs 20 seconds slow a day. Worse than any of my 10 other automatic watches.

While...
Published on November 8, 2012 by Richard Mathews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Big, Heavy, and Stunning!, March 27, 2012
This review is from: Orient Men's SEL03001B0 M-Force Automatic and Hand-Wind Watch (Watch)
The M-Force is absolutely beautiful! Once again, Orient has produced an affordable watch for the dive watch lover. I love this watch and I'm having difficulty taking it off my wrist, even just for a little while. The only disappointment is Orient's choice of band size. When measured, the inside distance lug to lug is 23MM, not 24MM as indicated in Amazon's specs listing. 23MM is a somewhat odd choice for band size. But, other than that, Orient hit this one out of the park.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal on Amazon, March 25, 2013
I love the dial with its stark contrast between the lume markers and the black background and the power reserve always easy to read to let you know if you need to wear it or wind it to get the power back. I love the case. I love the buttery smooth unidirectional bezel.

The bracelet sadly is not L316 grade steel but it's not as bad as some complain. At the price point featured on Amazon, well under $300, it's a lot of watch for the money. The bracelet is small so that on my 7.5 inch wrist I had only one link removed. Therefore, if your wrist is much bigger than 8 inches, this watch won't fit you. Also don't get the more expensive Japanese-made version WV0011EL). It costs twice as much and it's the SAME watch. I mention this because I made this mistake.

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch is OK except for the bracelet and poor regulation, November 8, 2012
UPDATE

While waiting for my Orient watch back, I purchased a Seiko Monster 2nd Generation - the new one with hacking and manual winding. In my opinion, it's a much better value. The Seiko bracelet is reasonably thick and has solid end links. It runs about 2 seconds fast a day. It cost me $50 less. Its only downside is that it does not have a sapphire crystal. I can get one put in for less than $50. BTW - it looks like the price for a new Monster is going up.

----------------------------

ORIGINAL REVIEW (except where starred)

I own many high and mid level Swiss and German automatic watches. From $400 to $4,000 list prices. This watch can hold its own with my watches around $400 to $500 except for the bracelet. The bracelet looks pretty good at a casual glance, but upon closer inspection, is more like one you could purchase at any mall watch shop for $30 dollars. It does not, in any way, match the quality of the rest of the watch.

Besides the weak bracelet, the fit and finish is pretty good, but the winding mechanism and screw in crown both feel gritty to me. In addition, my watch loses 10-15 seconds a day and will need to be adjusted to gain some seconds each day.

On the positive side the watch is substantial, looks great and feels good on my wrist. It also has hacking and manual winding which are a must for me.

I would only recommend this watch if you can get it for less than $300 new.

***If it doesn't keep time within 15 seconds a day or better in the first 3 weeks after you purchase it, I recommend you just send it back to Amazon. If my experience is any guide, Orient will be of no help to you.***

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this watch!, December 3, 2012
I had to buy a new watch, because the old one was dropped on floor by my lovely daughter when she tried to bring it to me after bath. That was a quartz watch with Sapphire window. With that experience, I realize the Sapphire material is indispensable for a watch to last. This time I chose Orient Men's SEL03001B M-Force Automatic, but I pursaded my wife to buy it as a birthday gift to me, because I will wear it for a long time.
This is a solid but no fancy watch, which is exactly what I want. good looking, appropriate weight, double safety band, and easy to adjust the time even the second. Eventhought it is big and heavy, it fit my not so big hand perfectly. I especially like the red color for the needle for the second. Also the fluoresence is glowing brightly for a long time in the dark, at least over 10 hours.
Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch !, June 6, 2014
I'm really happy I purchased this timepiece at this price point ! I've read other reviews on ths particular model and will have to agree, the complaint is on the bracelet, not what I expected. I only paid $285 for this timepiece and would have been very upset, if I paid any of the higher prices this model is going for. I also have the Mako XL black dial; ( LOVE IT !) The bracelet that came with my Mako XL looks nice and has a better feel to it. That's what I'm comparing this to. So, for this reason, and this reason alone, I give it four stars. As for the watch itself, NICE ! I got a nice (discount), for a nice (watch). Thanks Discount Watch !

5.0 out of 5 stars Best deal at $283 for this watch, December 28, 2012
Having purchased this watch at $283 USD for its hackable and windable features (hackable function lets you set the second hand of the watch to co-ordinate it with another reliable time source such as time.gov and windable means that you can manually wind this watch by hand without the need to wear it on a daily basis), I was excited to receive it the next day thanks to the free one-day shipping Amazon offered for this watch.

First of all, at the price of $283, this watch cannot be beat. It uses the same in-house Orient automatic movement (40N5A) that is used on more expensive Orient watches (see the Orient 300M Saturation Diver). It also offers windable and hackable functions - features typically found on more expensive watches. Although the Amazon product description does not state this, further research will show you that it is an ISO 6425-certified watch which means it can stand up to demanding activities such as of scuba diving and even "desk-diving".

With other bells and whistles such as a power reserve (which indicates how many hours of operation the watch approximately has) and a date window (tells you the day of the month), this watch also has a sapphire crystal which is quite scratch-resistant, but I do not believe it has any anti-reflective coatings. The lume on the watch is very good - the dial is legible at night and I have not had any difficulties determining the time when I am outside in the dark.

The fit and finish of the watch case (not the bracelet, more on that later) is amazing. Orient did a fantastic job with the case by polishing and brushing some sides of the case walls, forcing any onlooker to glance twice at this watch. I recommend you look at the many close-up photos posted online for this watch and you will see what I mean. With a 120-unidirectional bezel, I have found it useful to keep track of elapsed time.

The biggest con of this watch is the bracelet. Since Orient made this bracelet to be 23mm wide at the lugs, you will find many stainless bracelets online that will not match this specification (many straps are 22mm and 24mm and 23mm is not a popular size at all). The clasp on the bracelet feels cheap and stamped (the edge of the clasp was not polished down and feels rather sharp). However, when I received this watch, I immediately swapped out the bracelet (which is very easy to do thanks to the drilled lugs) and attached a 24mm wide Hadley Roma rubber strap also purchased from Amazon for around $25. The watch feels great to wear and thanks to its IS0 6425 rating (shock-resistant to a certain degree), makes it a great weekend watch for the active person.

Given the features of this watch (power reserve, windable, hackable, sapphire crystal, etc.) and even for the automatic 40N5A movement alone, I would highly recommend you buy this watch at $283 USD, swap it out for a 24mm rubber strap of your liking, and wear it with a great big smile on your face because you know that you just got one of the best watch deals out there on Amazon. :D

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT WATCH I HAVE TWO!, April 5, 2013
The Look and feel: The look of this is not a copy of some sort or a homage style. It is noted and very stylish with being underwater on its mind. The solid feel is not to heavy and not to light and I would say it leans more towards the heft all solid cut stainless watches should.

Price and Value: This watch is excellent all around and is worth more than the price paid here. It is a value from a company that makes it's own cases and movements for a complete product that is a professional series watch and not a fashion style time piece so many people over pay for and are constantly changing batteries on.

Size and Colors: It is the right size for a diver not to big or two small and they have great choices in colors for the face Orange, Blue and Black for dress fun and play on the town or in the water. At 46mm you can see the face clear in and out of water. The watch wears more like a 44mm time piece would as the bezel in black and stainless take up some of the size and reduce the look of being a jumbo-tron style that is uncomfortable as the day goes on.

Just two gripes : ( ........... #1 #2

#1 The band links at the top are hollow and will squeak if you get a watch that has loose fitting ones, which will 100% annoy you as it will occur every time you move your wrist. I was fortunate to have two of these in different colors so I could switch the top hollow link ends and stop the squeaks. Orient please just fix this or go with solid end links to attach the watch to the band. The rest of the links are solid all the way down why cut corners at the top two only where it is needed most?

#2 The hands on the face are a bit small and could be larger like on the Orient Ray or keep the Semi Sword hands like the Seiko Sumo. No big deal on this one though. The date window is small but I like that as it does not over clutter the dive face look that is desired when in water and reading your submersed time.

The Short of it all: 100% worthy serious dive and spot watch with the looks to go with it. This is a keeper in anyone's collection for daily wear or just to stand out in the crowed in Orange or Blue. Black can be worn all night and day at your office or after hour drinks. In or out of water I wanted to mention the M-Force keeps excellent time too. BUY IT and you will not regret it 100% satisfaction in my book.

4.0 out of 5 stars great watch, let down by cheap bracelet., July 31, 2014
Very nice watch, big bezel, not intended for people with a small wrist. Well built watch, but the metal bracelet is left to be desired. Although i don't have any problem with it, and it sits very comfortably on my wrist, the bracelet feels kind of cheap. For a $300 watch, orient should at least use a better quality bracelet, but hey its still less than half of its full retail price. For serious watch lovers, i recommend getting an after market canvas or rubber bracelet.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a pretty awesome watch, January 30, 2013
Brandon (Austin, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
It took me a few days to really appreciate the look of the watch. The watch is quite large and heavy, but actually fits my wrist fairly well. I have about 6 5/8" wrists in circumference, and this watch isn't too big. At first, the large luminescent time markings and 3-tone dial were off-putting, but they are quick and easy to read in just a glance at the watch face. Putting function before form, the watch becomes more attractive once you start to appreciate its design. The fact that it is dive certified, shock resistant, has a sapphire window, and is an auto-mechanical watch that can be wound and synchronized to the second is pretty amazing for the price paid. The little display that indicates the wind level of the watch is pretty nice also.

I switched out the band, which brings me to my first complaint. The band width is 23mm, which is a strange size. There are 23 mm bands available, but not many. You can get a 24mm rubber (or probably leather) band and either cram it in, or cut it down very carefully 0.5 mm on each side. But, the stock pins are too thick to use. I chose a Hadley-Roma Diver Band with red stitching at 24 mm and crammed it in. I had to go to a jewelry store to get thinner pins. The stock band is terrible, and makes the watch way too heavy. The only other complaint is that the crown feels fragile and wobbly when unscrewed. But, you rarely have to wind or adjust it anyway, so that's not really a huge problem. Also, whenever you unscrew the crown to adjust the time or synchronize to the second, wait until the watch uses up some of its spring tension, and don't manually wind all the way. The reason is that screwing in the crown further winds the watch, so if you wind it up completely, you could over-wind the watch just by screwing the crown back down. In 24 hours, the watch only lost 6 seconds, which is pretty acceptable for a mechanical. I read a few reviews in other places of version only being off 3 seconds in 24 hours, which is outstanding if you get that.

Overall, an unbeatable deal at less than $300.00. I highly recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful watch, January 22, 2013
Received this watch 2 weeks ago. Nice packaging (big strong box). Watch itself is beautiful and heavy. Spent some time understanding how to resize the band ... a little bit tricky as it is of pin/collar type and not only pin as I was expecting. Check this website ([...]) before starting or you will end up breaking one collar like me (hopefully, I was able to re use one from the spare removed link).
Really accurate so far! Set the time on day 1, did not need to adjust yet after 2 weeks, probably just a couple of seconds behind, much better than my blue mako!) I used the manual winding only once the first time as I am wearing it everyday. Reserve is always between 40 and 30 hours.
Sapphire crystal is beautiful! Hope it stays that way.

Love this watch so far!