5.0 out of 5 stars One of the all-time classics, January 30, 2001
Alan Light (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Origami for the Connoisseur (Paperback)
This is one of a handful of must-have origami books. It contains a landmark treatment of modular origami as well as many terrific animal and novelty folds (i.e. vegetables, pinecones, etc).
Kawasaki's rose and spiral snail shell are included and these models alone make the book worthwhile. Several Peter Engel models are there, with better diagrams than Engel gives in his own book!
This is NOT a beginner's book. Even the most experienced folders will have trouble with many of the models in this book, but your efforts will be rewarded.
One warning: Do not attempt to fold Montroll's stegosaurus from the diagrams in this book. The diagrams in Montroll's "Prehistoric Origami" are far superior and give better results.

5.0 out of 5 stars All-time Origami Favorite, December 23, 2000
This review is from: Origami for the Connoisseur (Paperback)
This is by far one of my favorite origami volumes, and I have bunches. It is an advanced book, but part of the fun with it has come as I steadily can do more and more of the models as the years go by. The seashells he includes have proven quite popular with co-workers, while I cherish the geometrics and discourse myself. If you are a folder, I highly recommend this book, even if you don't think you are advanced enough, I think you will be pleasantly suprised and challenged.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, August 20, 2000
This review is from: Origami for the Connoisseur (Paperback)
This book is absolutely wonderful. The first 20 to 25 models are modular type things that are very interesting. You learn how to make shapes you didn't know that existed. Afterward there are models that are by other authors.Though, above all the ones I have made I like the rose the most. When I saw it I told myself I had to make it. And on my first try I made it, although up close it was kind of messy. Afterwards I learned how to make it without putting so many creases and it is truely awesome. (now it sits with Engel's butterfly on it.) But the book does lean over more towards the advanced. What I'm saying is that I've made Peter Engel's Butterfly and The scorpion of Robert Lang, but I don't think I I'll put myself up to the 900 unit sphere-like shape in Origami for the Connoisseur. If you are a very dedicated origami shape folder, you would definately like it. But, even if you're not, then buy the book for the Kawasaki rose. (In my review on Engel's Origami:From Angelfish to Zen I mentioned that I hadn't made the butterfly. Well not too long befor I wrote this review I figured out how to.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't put it down!, May 28, 2005
Matthew Deeds (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Origami for the Connoisseur (Paperback)
I have been reading this book and folding models every night since I bought it! It serves as a great introduction into some more advanced folding techniques. The models are very interesting and the directions are easy to follow. The book is structured like a reference book and easy to use. The pictures inside are 2 tone, but high quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book. A must have for everyone., March 11, 1999
This review is from: Origami for the Connoisseur (Paperback)
This is my favourite origami book. It has a great deal of variety due to the fact that several authors were involved. Many brilliant models are clearly diagrammed including the Kawasaki rose, Sonobe unit and complex stegosaurus. Also origami maths features in the book. An excellent book for beginners and experts.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very special origami book, May 15, 2005
This review is from: Origami for the Connoisseur (Paperback)
This is one of the best origami books ever written. My all-time favourite model John Montroll's Goose which I have made hundreds of times is included, along with the wonderful and now classic Rose by Kawahata, David Brill's lidded box and transparent bottle, a series of twist folded cubes and many other beautiful and stylish paperfolds too numerous to list here.

The models are not for the complete beginner but will for the most part require some experience at intermediate level and the book is a good graduation point if you wish to move on to more advanced work.

The book has stood the test of time - the original edition was first published in Japanese in 1985 and then in English in 1987 - and is as fresh and exciting to read today as it was then. I cannot recommend this book too highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant work of art!, May 18, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Origami for the Connoisseur (Paperback)
I recently got this book for my birthday, and months from now, I'm still doing much of it. I've made nearly all of the models, and even did one of the 300 sonobe units modulars. I've tried the stegosaurus, and I'm starting to be able to clean new ones. Everything I do astounds my classmates in various classes.

Even though I've been told I'm crazy, I started the 900 unit sphere with a couple friends, and we have over 150 units put together.

This book has some models for beginners, but I'd say it's more for intermediate-advanced folders. The rose is defintely one to try, although it took me a couple tries just to get it. This is my current favorites origami book out of at least 10. A definite must-buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Origami Book, August 3, 2000
This review is from: Origami for the Connoisseur (Paperback)
This book contains the famous Kawasaki Rose, which is stunningly realistic. The rose alone is good enough reason to buy the book. But this book also features many various other types of origami, and it has a large range, easy enough for a totally new beginner, while also having complex origami which can give even the most experienced origamists a challenge. Awesome book. Go and get it NOW!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A near perfect book on origami, June 30, 2005
moondune "The Stupid" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Origami for the Connoisseur (Paperback)
The origami collected in the book is very interesing. Also the instruction is as detail as everyone-can-do. The only cons is the instruction is on the back of the paper you use for the origami, which means either you have to figure out a way to follow the instruction during the process, or you use other paper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Origami for Connoisseur, February 21, 2006
This review is from: Origami for the Connoisseur (Paperback)
I collect Origami books. Each book has something new. This one does too but I mostly buy it for some of the known folds such as Kawasaki Rose.

Origami for the Connoisseur
Origami for the Connoisseur by Toshie Takahama (Paperback - November 1, 1998)
Used & New from: $9.96