Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

60%
40%
Format: PaperbackChange

on April 27, 2011
Cute projects. Pretty paper. Seven of the papers are double sided (back is a solid color, but not white). The rest are white on the back. All of the backs are pale enough that you could include a note on them. The paper is a little thicker than regular origami paper, probably because the kit is for making note cards, not origami. It's still easily workable. About 1/3 of the sheets are ~7 inches (assuming the "7-inch paper folder" is a reliable measuring device). The rest are ~6".

The directions are clear. I particularly like that when precision is not imperative, the instructions will tell you (because, really, who can reliably make a fold 1/5 or 1/8 of the way across the paper, and why go nuts trying to if it's not necessary?!).

Most of the projects are relatively simple, but the final product looks difficult enough that your recipient will be impressed. I tried the projects that caught my eye on first glance (about 1/3 of them) and only had trouble on the "flapping bird envelope" because I wasn't sure what an "inside-reverse fold" was and where to put it. Google fixed the first problem, and the second was user error. Had I looked closely enough at the diagram, I think it would have been apparent what I needed to do...even without Google. Oh, and that's the only origami term in the book that isn't described somewhere.

The letter folder is plastic and had some rough edges on it that caught on the paper. Nothing an emery board couldn't fix. I'll probably just use another bone folder I already have or my thumbnail.

The box is a bit large for what comes in it. (Sorry...I'm an overpackaging fiend!) There's a cardboard "riser" inside to make it look like there's more inside than there really is. That's okay. I'll remove the riser and use the box to store the other origami paper I bought!

For what it's worth, my book was only 48 pages, not the 64 listed in the Product Details (and on the back of the box mine came in). Nothing seems to be missing, so I'm not sure what's up with that. And while the cover of the book that came with the kit was a little thicker than a paperback, it wasn't what I would consider hard cover. Maybe that refers to the box?

Overall a good value for the money, and it'll allow me to feed my folding fetish for a while longer.
0Comment25 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2011
This kit is so much fun!! If you have done any origami at all, you will find it very easy to use. The directions are excellent, and the enclosed paper is beautiful. I have made some of the notes to leave on my boss' desk instead of the usual pink message slips. Have also made greeting cards with the ideas in the book. If you're on the fence, buy it!
on April 30, 2011
I like this product and new what I was getting when I ordered it; however, I thought there would be a few more folds in the book.

The only thing I am really disappointed with is the size of the paper. I must have misread the size in product description, because I thought the papers would be larger than they are. It makes the folded product quite small. Some of the notes, like the spiral note and the trapezoid note/envelope are large enough, but most of the others, especially the envelops are very small. Thats okay, I will use what the kit came with for other things and buy some larger paper for making my notes/envelopes.

If you care what the paper looks like, the pictures shown especially those from inside the book are much more vibrant than the actual paper that comes with the kit (though the designs are the same, just in duller colors).

Otherwise, this is a great product that allows you to add fun and interest to a normal letter. These can be used for a lot of things such as place cards at a party, business card holders, and other holders that can add interest to a paper flyer/note/card, etc at any event.

I am glad to have purchased this item - I have folded at least one of each item in the book and can say that the instructions are very clear. The one exception to that is the crane envelope instruction that says to "inside reverse fold" which I had to youtube to figure out what to do after unintentionally riping my first try at folding that envelope from so many tries.

I have enjoyed this kit and know I will find many uses for the folds included.
on June 3, 2011
It's really nice when a kit comes with everything you need to create the projects in book and leave you with extra paper in the process to continue with. You get 3 different sizes of beautiful paper, a 'bone' folder, and the project book.
I wanted to be able to present cards or gifts in a more unique, memorable way. I do believe this helps with that, as well as add something to scrapbooking or card making.
For someone who has no experience in origami, this is an easy book to follow. My computer tech husband finished all the projects in one sitting. I thought a lot of the ideas presented were innovative and something I would use in the future. There were a few that I didn't like, but that number is extremely low. In general, I think most gift recipients would be fascinated to receive handmade items.
VINE VOICEon May 28, 2011
To my knowledge, this origami stationery kit by Michael La Fosse and Richard Alexander is the best ever published by TUTTLE. The papers feature original Asian inspired designs and are the perfect weight to make the folds in all the projects included. The instructions and illustrations are clear and easy to follow, so I believe most people could complete them and impress the recipients of the notes. The only model I found a little challenging is the "Flapping Bird Envelope," because the illustration for step 13 is not very clear. However, that is part of the fun! I highly recommend this book.
on October 17, 2011
The paper in this collection is of excellent quality, holds a good crease, and comes in beautiful patterns I haven't found elsewhere. Whether you use the papers for the patterns in the book or your own designs, the result is quite stunning.
on April 4, 2011
For a change in what you fold, this is an excellent choice. Most of us think of animals, birds and fish when considering Origami, especially the traditional crane. Michael and Richard combine creative concepts, a special packet of patterned paper and a good sized bone folder, into one of their latest creations. Instructions and diagrams are clear, well illustrated and lend themselves to a variety of folding levels. I use some of their ideas in my personal correspondence and in classes I teach. They are of particular interest to classes I teach in the senior community. These folk still like to pen a note on actual paper, enjoying ideas that bring new creativity to their written work.
on October 7, 2012
I enjoyed making these notes. The instructions are easy to follow. I have my favorites that will use over and over. Great patterns on the paper. A nice gift for someone who likes to be creative and write notes.
on June 13, 2011
Nice high quality paper with pretty designs and understandable directions. These notes add a personal touch to gifts and are just plain fun to fold.
on January 4, 2015
im not good at origami but this set is very helpful,i like