Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Original Apple Ipad 1 Dock and Charger
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on May 16, 2010
This dock does exactly what it looks like it does.
It holds it up right for charging, synching and working on anything you want to watch "vertical".
However, there are times I wished I could turn it horizontal, but no dice.

Great product. I hope the video review helps.
33 comments| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2010
This dock does exactly what it looks like it does.
However, there are times I wished I could turn it horizontal, but no dice.

Great product. I hope the video review helps.
The Apple iPad Dock makes it much more easier for me to sync and charge my unit without it taking up a lot of room on my computer desk. Since it is sitting straight up, it can easily just go in a corner on your desk. The iPad sits snugly into the dock and no need to worry about it tipping over since the dock's base has good weight to it. I purchased my Dock directly from Apple for an incredibly cheaper price (less than thirty dollars) than the current price listed on Amazon by this third party seller. There is no shortage of these units so I don't understand how third party sellers can fluctuate the price by so much. Sorry about the venting - I normally do not write reviews like this but the asking price is uncalled for (currently forty-seven dollars plus S/H when I wrote this review).

This unit DOES NOT include the USB cable to connect the dock to your computer. You can purchase one separately or use the cord that came with your iPad. It's sad that most companies have gone this route requiring you to buy the USB cables or other wiring necessities needed. For this reason it lost a star, otherwise I would of given it a 5-star review.
on April 30, 2010
It is not possible to dock an iPad on this device if the iPad has any sort of cover. Once it is docked, it is very awkward to undock. There is no handle or any other way to hold the dock down to a surface while pulling the iPad off of it. Who designed this thing?
33 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2010
I purchased this dock and I'm very happy with it, however you may want to take a look at a different stand/dock at [...] . The Ingenuo stand will give you the option to keep the iPad charged in three different positions slightly inclined "reading mode", landscape "video mode" and portrait or "writing mode".
on May 20, 2010
I've owned this dock since I owned my iPad and I'm a bit disappointed. It is heavy and solid, so I'm not worried about the iPad falling over. The only real means for keeping the iPad on the dock is the connector, which has always been concerning to me. My biggest complaint is that it can be difficult to position the iPad when placing it in the dock. Specifically, you can't see the connector or the slot while you're trying to make the connection. Even with these limitations, the dock does provide enough functionality to be useful.
I wanted something to put on the table near my couch where I keep my macbook pro, to charge the ipad. This has a surprisingly hefty feel to it, and holds the unit well. But the connection is pretty much just as tight as any normal connector cable, so while I had hoped I could just "lift it off" when I wanted to grab the ipad, I can't. You have to hold the base with one hand and lift with the other, which makes it awkward for where I have it located. But it charges fine, is stable enough that I don't worry about some little bump knocking over the tablet.
It comes with nothing but the dock itself, so you will either need to use the charger that comes with the ipad, or purchase a second charging unit.
on May 10, 2011
I specifically bought this stand versus the one for the iPad2 because I have a cover on my iPad2 (Belkin Snap Shield for iPad2) and I wanted to be able to dock my iPad with the cover on. This worked perfectly. Even before I had the back cover on this dock worked great and since there isn't any front lip on the dock like the one for the iPad2, I can dock my iPad2 even with the smart cover on. Great Apple quality. The product is sturdy and leaves me no doubt that the iPad2 will stay right where I put it the night before.
VINE VOICEon July 15, 2010
I was surprised by the size of this product - less than 3 inches square.
Originally I was planning to use it for charging but have since realized that it has so many other uses.

As noted in other reviews, the unit is designed to be mesh exactly with the iPad unit itself. A cover gets in the way. To resolve this problem, I used a sharp scissors to cut out a 1" x 3" rectangle shaped piece from the back of the Apple cover where the dock meets the iPad. The modified cover works just as well as it did before but allows the dock to connect.

Another problem is that when installed in the dock, the iPad can tip sideways if it gets bumped. I wish the dock had been made a couple inches wider to provide a more stable base.

I actually bought 2 of these docks: one for charging/syncing and other for media access. By leaving the dock attached to my TV and sound system I can just drop the iPad in the base unit and watch my iPad videos.
on January 7, 2012
I got this dock a few months ago, and it broke the 3rd week in. It seems great at first, but there are many flaws. Lack of Landscape compatibility make it worse than competitors off the bat. Then there's the issue of lack of case support, even Apples own slim case is incompatible. And the actual charging connector won't work if even slightly bent, and is bent by the weight of the device. Not worth the cardboard box it came in, in my opinion. I am very displeased with Apple for their shoddy product.