Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on October 21, 2010
The product states that it is 100% New Original Apple 85w Magsafe Power Adapter...but in reality it is a re-conditioned unit that doesn't even look like the one in the photo. The magnet has what appears to be rust on the inside rim, and the unit is not reliable when it comes to charging. Sometimes it charges the laptop, sometime it merely shows that it is plugged in, but most of the time it does neither. Needless to say, I am not overly happy with this product, and have ordered a new one directly from the Apple store.
66 comments| 165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2011
Product name is "Original Apple 85w Magsafe Power Adapter A1222" but the description quietly states that you'll in fact be recieving an A1222 or A1343.

I would love to buy an original A1222 Magsafe since the A1343's new design doesn't detach as easily, but from the other reviews, it sounds like you'll almost certainly be getting an A1343 and not the A1222 by buying this product.

Nice try, trying to trick people who want the A1222 into buying with a misleading product name. And even better is that you get good reviews from people who don't know the difference between the A1222 and A1343. Pretty clever.
0Comment| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 13, 2011
The power adapter works indeed, but do not be fooled. This product is not the A1222, or does not carry that serial number. The seller has stated that this power adapter is the original Apple MagSafe, but I cannot quite tell. The model number of the product I received is A1343. As I write, I am using the power adapter that I bought from this seller. It works, indeed, and works very well. I have had no problem with it. It has just bothered me because I thought I would receive the A1222 power adapter (the original late 2008-early 2009 power adapter). I am not sure which power adapter this is, but it does work. My review is three-stars solely because the seller either has not done his/her research on the power adapter he/she is selling, and has not stated clearly the model number of the power adapter being sold. This product is working. Is it fake? I cannot truly tell, but it has been working since I received it in the mail. I am simply trying to inform future buyers to be careful as to buying products from this seller, as I myself have been completely fooled thinking I would be getting the original A1222 model, but received an A1343 model (I am not even sure if this model number is an original).
44 comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 15, 2011
Bad things: I thought I was getting the whole thing. What came in the packaging was the block to computer part and no extension cord bit (sorry, I'm not certain of the technical terms). When I got my computer originally, it came all together and I've never seen it elsewhere sold in two separate parts -- block to computer and cord from block to outlet -- so I wasn't expecting only half the total cord.

Good things: It came in a timely manner. It doesn't look used or reconditioned (as another reviewer indicated his/her item appeared to be) and it works great. Thankfully, I got the section I needed (puppy mangled the block to computer bit, not the extension bit) and it is cheaper than the standard (and complete) cord.

So - be warned - this is only the block to computer part, no extension bit included.
on April 22, 2012
I got this item to replace my original, which after 6 years started falling apart. This lasted a couple months and no longer works, the same place is broken (the small connective piece with the outlet prongs). I noticed cracks around it - and I KNOW it was not my use because I rarely moved the plug and it was hidden away from anything that could hit it by accident. I am thinking it isn't an original Apple product as stated, and I am quite ticked off I just spent so much money on something that is already broken. I think it should be replaced by the company and I intend on contacting them about it.
on January 10, 2012
These adapters function just fine, but have the old T-style Magsafe ends. For my purposes, this isn't a big enough dealbreaker to hassle with sending them back, but I really prefer the newer right-angle style, and was expecting to receive that connector, as it's pictured. If the t-style connector is what you want, there are less expensive options out there.

I realize that the seller is probably using Apple stock photography, but the image is misleading all the same.
on March 2, 2012
For one, this product is not what is pictured by the seller. I was a little disappointed, especially for the price, that it was not even new. I'm giving this product a couple stars at least though because it does work so far and I received it quickly.
on February 19, 2013
Purchasing power adapters is always a bit of a crap shoot. The only sure fire guarantee of getting an original, fresh in the box OEM adapter is to purchase it from the original vendor outlet, in this case an Apple store. You've got 99.9% certainty with Amazon if it's sold directly by Amazon. Once you move outside the box, it gets murkier, you're in the land of blemished products, refurbishments, returns, copy-cats and forgeries. A lot of times they're actually made by the original supplier (Apples sub) but produced to a slightly lower spec or using slightly inferior materials.

Mine was sold by MLC and fufilled by Amazon. Going into the purchase I knew I wasn't going to be getting the same as what I'd get from the Apple store. Then again I wasn't paying almost 2x the price.

As a general rule of thumb, I opt for purchasing directly from Amazon or at the very least having it fufilled by Amazon. This makes returning the item easier, generally it's no cost if it doesn't work or isn't what was advertised.

As for what I recieved, it's virtually identical to the A1343 that came with my MacBook Pro 17" (2011). The only difference I've noted is that the 6' cord (which was supplied) was 1" shorter. It also has a blemish on the side of the housing, a bit of a crinkle or mold mark. Something that won't affect performance but wouldn't pass muster as an Apple product.

The other oddity is that while it came in just a cradboard box, the components were wrapped in a manner similar to the peel away plastic film typical of Apple. Except it was tape.

Performance wise I've seen no issue after a week of use, including charging a drained battery while simultaneously performing some load inducing graphic work.

At half the price I'm more than satisfied with my purchase. This was a second / leave behind adapter, if it drops dead in a year or so I'm not going to be outraged given the cost.
on April 22, 2012
The model number on mine was A1343. So no, it's not an A1222.
It worked great when I originally bought it, lit up and everything.
Sadly 4 months and 3 days later, it is no longer charging my laptop. I shelled out $60. Looks like I should get the $20 one, buy that 3 times and hope it lasts longer. There wasn't any rust or visible deficiencies, it just stopped working.
on January 18, 2013
I would like to start by venting about the Apple Magsafe Power adapter. I have had two Macbook Pros one with the T shape adapter and the one I have now which is the L shape. Both broke. The old t shape one, the wires frayed at the magnet T shape attachment and the L shape one I received with my new MBP not just frayed but just detached at the cord and magnetic head. The Apple site has hundreds of complaints about the adapter....for years now. And still no improvements or new adapter. There are at least cheaper refurbished and generic versions available now. Im annoyed because I paid a good amount for my laptop and it seems they just come with cheaply designed adapters?

I had my new MBP and the adapter that came with it for less than a year when the adapter head just broke. I refuse to pay full price at Apple for a new adapter for something that will more than likely break at some point in the near future. So I bought this adapter. It says original and I see no signs that it isn't. It works great and it was thirty dollars less than if I purchased at Apple. I know some people are concerned about whether this is an original Apple product or not. And Im thinking that one of the concerns is about quality. Personally I feel the original adapter is such bad quality that in the end does it really matter? This adapter does come with the extension cord which I would recommend using in most cases.

* In my experience since the thin wires within the cord are so fine and delicate any kind of "pulling" or tension can create quick wear. This is why in most situations I would just use my extension cord to always allow the cord to be "relaxed".

*ALSO I highly recommend getting electrical tape and taping the joint right below the metal part of the "L" magnet and wrapping it a few times to create some protection and stiffness. This is where I and many other have experienced the big "break" and seriously any amount of bending will tear the wires. Basically keeping this part of the cord wrapped(i taped up to 2inches down the cord) will provide some kind of protection and prevention of quick wear and tear.

IMO I think its ridiculous to have to treat any adapter like a newborn but in the end I have had to build up this super sensitivity to it so I don't have to keep spending $80 to buy a new one each time. Luckily I found this one for less and Im happy with it so far based on it functioning properly, the price, and the price with the extension cord. Hopefully now I can focus on more important things!

See 1 answered question