5.0 out of 5 stars The modern classic, in it's original subtle beauty
I think that anyone who's interested in modern, intuitive tarot (as opposed to traditional, historical tarot buffs who follow the Marseilles path) MUST own a copy of the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, as it's the wellspring from which all the other modern decks have come.
Published on March 25, 2004 by Katrina Black

1.0 out of 5 stars So-so reproduction, bad trademarking
Published on February 4, 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars The modern classic, in it's original subtle beauty, March 25, 2004
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Pack (Cards)
This is my preferred version of the deck, too. The soft, subtle colouring appeals to me much more than some of the almost-flourescent newer versions. The colours in particular remind me that this was, graphically at least, a product of it's time - the Art Nouveau period.
It's taken a long time for Pamela Colman Smith to get the recognition she deserves. She might not have been the most skilled draftsperson there ever was, and this deck was made in a very brief period of time - but in my opinion, her power was in her subtlety. Slight nuances of expression, muted tones and patterns in the fabrics and fills. In this version of the RWS deck, I can almost feel the lightness of her touch as she painted these images.
I agree with others that if you're a beginner, Waite's original booklet isn't a great deal of use - get yourself a good, thorough book like Rachel Pollack's '78 Degrees of Wisdom' in addition.
I own a couple of RWS versions and I think that in this case it's true that "the Original is still the best". I'm so glad this 'Original' reproduction set is available again.

1.0 out of 5 stars So-so reproduction, bad trademarking, February 4, 2003
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Pack (Cards)
Having used a French deck for the last twenty-six years, I thought I would try the Rider Waite deck. When I got them, imagine my surprise and disgust when "© US GAMES" is printed on the front of each card! Though in small print, it is quite legible and very much unwelcomed. Additionally, the reproduction herein is not accurate nor is it very well done. There is an English Rider version of this deck that is *so* much better.
Pass on this version and get the English version instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant identification, August 11, 2005
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Pack (Cards)
I have read Tarot cards professionaly since 1968 and have tried many decks of cards and The Original Waite Tarot pack is the best . Pictorally each card is very distinctly portrayed and immediately identifiable. I bought this deck for my grandaughter who is beginning to study the Tarot. She was stumped by the deck she had bought whiuch was only symbols other than the higher arcana.

I can remember, in my early days reading, writing the meanings on the cards and how time consuming that was. I was so happy when I found the Rider Waite deck.

I am 73 years old.

Barbara Hilal

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the deck you think you are getting. . . ., May 14, 2009
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Pack (Cards)
A bit of background on this deck: The RWS deck first came out in late 1909 early 1910, and while little is able to be said concretely about which edition came first because all the records (as well as the original paintings) are lost to time. What we CAN do is construct a time line of sorts for the different editions of the deck. This is laid out very well on several sites online as well as in the book The Story of the Waite Smith Tarot. So the abridged version is that there are four known variations of the artwork for the RWS deck. They are called Pam A- Pam D. The conclusions as to which deck came when, is also well thought out on the sites and book before mentioned. When the now famed Rose and Lilly deck first came up on Ebay several years ago it caused a huge stir in the Tarot world and went for several thousand dollars. Then when it was announced that this set was coming out we all thought that we were going to finally get a reproduction of the famed Pam A artwork just as it first was scene almost a century ago. What we got is STILL debated in circles and on boards till this day. The backs are indeed the original first backs made to be put on the RWS deck but the card images are from what is commonly called to as the Pam C artwork. This artwork was made from a re-drawing of the printing plates and looks WAY more muddled and murky then any other presentation of PCS's art. While interesting from a collector standpoint if you are looking to get into serious study of the deck, it's use of color and the fine details and things hidden this is not the deck for you. If you are a collector of different editions of the RWS deck pick it up because it's fascinating to see the differences in the drawings to the original. For those that are looking for a great place to start THE set you want to get is the new Smith Centennial deck that just came out. Even though it's only in a boxed set right now it is well worth the price and will give you a solid foundation in the western style of reading with illustrated minor cards. While yes there are prettier deck out there or decks with more `pagan' themes to them 90% of them owe their images inspirations to this deck. It is really the beginning ABCs of modern tarot, and as we all know the beginning is a very good place to start.

4.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Rider Waite Smith Tarot deck, November 22, 2003
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Pack (Cards)
This is my favorite of the Rider Waite Smith decks. The lines and detail are very clear and crisp. That makes a difference. Look at the Knight of Swords. In other RWS decks, the corner of the horse's mouth is going down and it looks like the horse is looking backwards. The horse looks apprehensive. In this deck, the lines for the horse's mouth and eyes are cleaner. The horse looks like he is grinning and happy to be charging ahead.
I like the colors used, but they may not appeal to everybody. The colors are beige, light green, red and yellow. No blue. The green makes the reds pop. I also like the thick lines and the bold, flat shapes. The backs are a pretty light blue and white design with roses.
I know this deck might not appeal to everyone. This is why there are so many versions of the RWS deck out there. For me, the original is the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really it's a modernist-classical deck, November 22, 1999
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Pack (Cards)
This remains my favorite deck. There are more eye-catching & design orientated decks out there but they tend to be cold and attached to something other than Tarot. For doing actual readings, Rider-Waite has the great advantage of having lots of symbolism. More symbolism means more information and more opportunities for the intellect to cruise down the road of intuition. The best and most complete readings I've done have come from this deck.

4.0 out of 5 stars A distinctive printing of the cards, with a tiny Waite book, July 2, 1998
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Pack (Cards)
The Rider-Waite-Smith is a classic deck, the most popular of all Tarots, and the de facto standard in the English-speaking world. This particular printing is rather interesting. Apparently, an attempt was made to faithfully reproduce one of the early decks made from the original plates. The most notable consequence is in the color rendition: these cards have a distinctly yellow-tan cast compared with other widely available printings. Whether this is good or bad, I suppose, is a matter of personal preference. It certainly gives the cards a rich patina, but cards with a lot of blue in them end up a dull shade of turquoise.
The set includes a tiny, but readable, copy of Waite's famous guide to the Tarot, sans illustrations. This makes the set a nice choice for someone who has a passing interest in what Waite wrote about the cards, but not enough to put a regular edition of his book on the shelf.
It is often recommended that Tarot beginners start with a Rider-Waite-Smith deck. If the color rendition of this printing appeals to you, this set can make a nice starter--although Waite's book will need to be accompanied by something a little more accessible and tutorial in flavor, such as Mary Greer's "Tarot for Your Self" or Rachel Pollack's "78 Degrees of Wisdom".

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing reproduction, poor quality printing, January 5, 2006
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Pack (Cards)
Drawing upon my experience as a graphic designer and my familiarity with various paper stocks and printing processes, I would have to rate the quality of this repro as very poor. The printing of it is, in a word, atrocious. The color on many of the cards fills in and obliterates many of the details within the illustrated figures. The very worst example of this occurs within the King of Pentacles. The card is shockingly bad in that nearly all of the detail is gone filled in by a muddy black. I was so very disappointed with this that I purchased shortly after the Universal Waite Tarot Deck. This deck uses the very same imagery as the first but colors the cards differently. Whereas the repro unsuccessfully used flat color, the Universal Waite employs shading, graduated color fills, and shading/modeling of the figures. All to great effect. None of the original detail of the cards is lost. The only issue I have with this deck is that it's too pretty. The solution, as I see it, would be to use flat color but to do so in a way that does not fill in or obliterate card details. The attention to detail in the Universal Waite is commendable and makes for a pleasing, if a bit distracting, deck. If the repro could have preserved the internal details of the cards, as did the Universal Waite, while still employing flat color fields - it would have been my preferred deck. As it stands, I shall use each, depending upon my mood, as it is not so much how the cards look that is important, but rather what it is they say. I will, of course, continue to see if the 'ideal' is manufactured by anyone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truely ground zero for all!, October 5, 2005
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Pack (Cards)
Shame on the reviewer who cannot appreciate the beauty of this deck. These images are the original archetypes that would cause such a dramatic interest in this rather obscure means of "fortune telling". It is true the images are not vibrant and colorful. The Universal Waite deck came nearly a century later and lovingly pays tribute to these original images. Many other "clones" would follow with various intrepretations/colorations. The basic images remain a constant.

This was the first set of images I was exposed to years ago and have grown to love over time. They have mystery and depth to them which must be experienced first hand. All modern standards come from this set. The backs are the best intrepretation I have ever seen. Much better then the busy lines that most see. The soft colors with their tan tone is soothing to the eye. While not an "absolute" original reprint of the deck, I feel this is the closest one can get!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a good single source for a beginner, November 22, 2000
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Pack (Cards)
This is the first Tarot deck and "manual" I've purchased. I would not recommend it as a good single source for beginners. The enclosed "instruction" book is far too small to read easily (it's about the size of a deck of cards) and the interpretations/descriptions are a bit short on many of the cards. If you choose this as your first deck, buy a comprehensive book on Tarot reading as well.
The cards are very slick, and of heavy stock, making them a little difficult to handle for a beginner like me; though in their defense they are probably more durable because of this, and will last longer.
In comparison, I just bought the Celtic Dragon Tarot deck, and find the effort put into describing each card and its meaning much more comprehensive...still I'm sure that a comprehensive book on Tarot by one of the respected authors is the best step in learning to read any of the various decks.
My advice, for what it's worth is to remember that with any spiritual enlightment journey, each one's journey may take a different path, and be wary of criticizing how others go or of putting too much faith in the criticisms of others on any product in terms of its suitablity to meeting your spiritual needs.

The Original Rider Waite Tarot Pack
The Original Rider Waite Tarot Pack by Arthur Edward Waite (Cards - May 23, 2012)
$24.00 $21.60