4.0 out of 5 stars Understands and extols the value of paradox
Published on April 25, 2000 by sarahbellum

2.0 out of 5 stars Does it have to be so difficult to explain??
I listened to this book on tape. I must have listened to the first tape 4 times. Be prepared, unless you are a psychologist yourself or in the field, to pause and look up words in the dictionary. There are no explanations in the text. I even had a hard time finding some of the terms on the internet dictionary and had to resort to serching the web for any info. All in...
Published on August 15, 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Understands and extols the value of paradox, April 25, 2000
sarahbellum (MA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Original Self: Living with Paradox and Originality (Hardcover)
By an odd chance I read this book right after I finished reading "Tuesdays With Morrie." There is no comparison--where "Tuesdays" is trite and overhyped, dishing out tired truisms as though they were newly discovered insights, this book has so much depth and understated richness that I had to put it down every few paragraphs to allow the words to sink in slowly. It is the opposite of trite in every way.
My only quibble is with the section in which the author discusses depression. He advises not running to a doctor for medication, and instead allowing the pain to teach its lessons. I agree with that in cases where a person is sad or grief-stricken. But in cases of actual clinical depression, that can be dangerous advice. Clinical depression is an illness with a high mortality rate, comparable to tuberculosis, say, or malaria. Would anyone advise a person with the symptoms of tuberculosis to hold off seeking medication?
But the main message of the book is quietly intense. Allowing other people to be different from what we expect them to be, allowing ourselves to be imperfect, not striving all the time, accepting that we are sometimes unloving and needy as well as creative and accomplished--that is powerful and earthy stuff. And it is conveyed without cliche and without sentimentality.
The gentle woodcut illustrations are a perfect addition to the text--both are quiet jewels that shine brighter as time goes on, instead of fireworks that get a lot of adulatory press and then fade from sight forever.
Bravo.

5.0 out of 5 stars To boldly go where no soul has gone before . . ., March 24, 2000
By A Customer
Thomas Moore writes with more depth and wisdom than many of the current "writers on spirituality." He gives you no formula, no simple truths. Instead, he takes you to a thought that appears self-evident, and then challenges you to go further, to probe more deeply, to "leave the door ajar" so that soul may slip in. Each essay takes you on a journey that could last an hour, a day, a week, a month. I find that I revisit some of the essays again and again as I dip under the surface a bit more deeply each time. The essays are short and easy to read; the comprehension develops in an ever-deepening spiral of understanding and application.
Each essay carries multiple levels of inspiration and evocation. The quote, the woodcut, the title, and then the text - each conveys a meaning that is both unique and integral to the whole. One is drawn from the image to the poetry, the summative thought, the expanded concept, and then back to the image. At the end of an essay, I often pause and breathe, simply taking it in. I return to the quotes over and over again.
I am curious about the change in wording of the subtitle on the book cover - Living with Paradox and Originality - as compared to the title page - Living with Paradox and Authenticity. One could create an essay on the difference between the two words, and so I wonder about Thomas Moore's "original" intent.
I have already purchased the audiocassette, to play in my car while commuting, as a way to enter and exit the work day with a contemplative focus. I am certain this book will become one that I share with others, offer as gifts, and refer to repeatedly in conversation. Highly recommended, for those who like to dive in more deeply.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking book for all!, March 24, 2000
By A Customer
In a wonderfully and beautifully written manner, Thomas Moore once again challenges us to question many of the entrapping assumptions we hold onto in our lives -- freeing the unique and individual soul in each of us. The eye-catching woodcuts nicely complement the thought-provoking words. The power of this book's message is found in its layout as well as its words and pictures. My very highest recommendations for readers who are already Thomas Moore fans as well as those who are just becoming familiar with his writings. Just like all of his other books, this is one that can be read, looked at, and experienced over and over again --with new meanings and insights every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original Self, December 5, 2001
Jo-Anne Aherne (Hypoluxo Island, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
Upon leaving Australia to move to the U.S.A., I weapt when I packed away my extensive library into heavy wooden crates,in an attempt to protect their wisdom, until I could return one day. I only had room to stash a few precious books into my suitcases which were to transport me safely until I arrived at a place where I was ready to rebuild a new library in the new homeland. Thomas Moore's books 'Care of the Soul' and 'Re-Enchantment of Everyday Life' were two of the six I packed. I couldn't imagine life without the nurturing I found within the pages of Thomas Moore's words. They are a pathway back to the safety of the soul when everything seems threatening, changing yet enticing.
I have gifted several copies of his work to friends at appropriate times in their lives when they too needed a constant companion. I lived his words and painted my house in rennaissance colours, played wildly romantic Italian operas, purchased a few antiques to gaze upon their craftsmanship and history and immersed my soul with renewed values around family love and passion for everyday simplicities and sanctuaries. I've lived Thomas Moore's work for several years now and it has made my life rich and rewarding.
I believe it was more than a synchronicity occurence when his recent book "Original Self" came into my life, again, coinciding with a trip to a far off place where I was considering another internal shift. It arrived right at a time when I was entertaining the idea (unfortunately, once again) to sell my soul to do a somewhat souless task. His message was simple but profound, return to my own authenticity and "Original Self" or chance loosing my soul. Since that fortunate time, I have been pouring over his words from this recent masterpiece like a child at play with a deep curiosity of how his writings have affected my life, again, in such a deeply mysterious way. Thomas Moore's books are part of my life and now, thanks to his urgings, my soul. Be assured, whatever he writes about is speaking directly to your soul. I can't imagine how anyone living, after reading his work, not knowing that they have just been touched by a master. But I know it happens to an unfortunate few.
Only read this book should you want to be roused by the intervention of divinely tender words or stirred by deep meditations about life. I suggest you buy his book and see it as part of the magical immersion into soul that Thomas Moore wants for you. You may in fact be able to reignite your passion to overcome the sufferings of your neglected soul and start to recognize the bitter ailments of a soul-less society so desperaely in need of nurturing. Or perhaps not, you may just return home to your "Original self".

5.0 out of 5 stars taking care of the original self, June 8, 2002
the author of the marvelous, "care of the soul" writes another soulful blockbuster here in "original self". this is a collection of beautiful meditations on self knowledge, the soul, and the natural spirituality that springs forth when the soul is properly nurtured and listened to. ever the master of the subtle insight, mr moore gently shows us where to look and how to listen. the writing is lyrical and wise and makes me want to joyfully be a better person. the book is beautifully made and his message is worth reading and contemplating over and over. he seems to see a depth in the reader that is uncanny. what treasures will he help you uncover? check this one out. its a treasure map and more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Yourself Without Apology, May 25, 2005
Artist Barbara Garro (Barbara Garro at http://www.ElectricEnvisions.com in Saratoga Springs, NY) - See all my reviews
Reading "Original Self" by Thomas Moore invited me to see myself as never before, presented me with a freedom to be as never before, and will allow me to be me without apology. At 62, Thomas More gave me a great gift, just in time!

5.0 out of 5 stars flip me over, May 2, 2001
Thomas Moore broke the mold when he wrote this one!...Moore took me everywhere inside myself, and drove me to the core of my soul. Everything that i had origionally thought about life, was turned inside out, upside down. But it was as if all these ideas were already seeds in me, yet they had been covered in a lot of petty, crappy, useless things. My soul was watered and i am now a child again. Unlearning all that i have been taught and reviewing all that was origionally in me! THis book was hard to understand at times, but after you read it over and over....it hits you like a brick! I recommend this book to anyone, and everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Breakfast with Thomas Moore's "Original Self", April 7, 2008
Each chapter is a short essay that invites reflection. "Without becoming mystics, we could become more closely acquainted with the ways of the inner life," writes Moore. Drawing on myth, poetry, sacred scripture, and philosophy, the author invites us to a deeper awareness of the odyssey of our soul and its uniqueness. I read the book while enjoying breakfast each morning for a week--it was like having a gentle conversation with a wise friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff!, August 14, 2009
Original Self by Thomas Moore is like drinking wine and enjoying a bonfire on the beach with friends, only to find a lost stack of one hundred dollar bills, free for the finding, only to meet the love of your life, only to live fully and explore all the many sides (some quite dark and frightening) of ourselves in Universe still moving through the mysteries -- Thomas Moore is a master of soul explorations. Other writers of this sort try to fix you with to do lists. Moore is more like that bonfire on the beach with friends...OK!
John Cutler Anderson, nickname of Lucky given at birth

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 5, 2014
good

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Original Self: Living with Paradox and Originality
Original Self: Living with Paradox and Originality by Thomas Moore (Hardcover - February 16, 2000)
Used & New from: $0.01