Verified Purchase
I ordered two sets with full intention of replacing the dealbreaking default thumbsticks on the DualShock 4. The last straw for me was trying to play Entwined on PS4 (which requires both analog sticks held all the way at the edge of the rim) and having to fight to keep my thumbs from slipping off the stock sticks (Resogun was a chore too). I've also witnessed holes wear right through the soft rubber on the DS4s of friends who play Call of Duty around the clock. Clearly something had to be done.

I ordered these on 6/14 from e-Mods and received them on 6/23. A visual comparison with my existing XB1 controller sticks showed these to be identical, and they installed right into my DS4 without issue. True to the word of other reviewers, blogs and determined masterminds on reddit, these really do slot right into the analog mechanisms with no modifications whatsoever. The diameter of the plastic rim on the bottom is slightly less (about 1mm) which leaves an ever-so-slight view of the edge when the analog stick is pulled all the way to one side, but hardly a dealbreaker. The XB1 sticks are about 1mm taller in total than their DS4 counterparts, and the surface about 2mm less, which in my experience offers more precision in movement (particularly in FPSes when scoping) and keeps your thumb from slipping around. I'm looking much more forward to Destiny with these installed.

A word of caution: If you're not technically inclined and patient, it's very possible to damage your DS4 internals while swapping these out. It requires the removal of five PH00-sized Phillips screws (4 external and 1 on the circuit board inside), two ribbon connectors, a battery pack connector and *VERY CAREFULLY* negotiation of the plastic housing around the L2/R2 triggers, which can ruin your day if you aren't careful.

February 25, 2015 Update: Two troubleshooting tips!

#1 You feel grinding on your analog movement -- This happened to me. I realized these sticks sit a little lower on the stem of the analog actuator, which causes the underside to lightly hit the four corners (most noticeable at diagonal positions, cardinals are fine). I solved this personally by slicing up some 1mm thick foam padding that I normally use to hang wall posters with an x-acto knife to the size of the stem and sticking it to the top before putting the stick in place. This props up the thumbstick just high enough that it doesn't rub the underside, but not so high that it scrapes the top of the controller casing. Alternatively, you can file away some of the underside of these sticks if you have the tools and it works just as well, possibly better.

#2 Your trackpad isn't working after reassembly -- You tried to pull it apart before disconnecting the top ribbon cable. The other side of that trackpad ribbon isn't soldered in, it runs to another connector underneath that plastic plate on the back of the trackpad, and yanking on it dislodged the connector. There's a plastic plate over the top of this connector that's glued in place. You can (carefully!) pry it off, reconnect the other end of the ribbon, put it back in position, and everything will work just fine afterword.

I've put well over 500 hours on this controller since doing the thumbstick swap on the original date of this review and been extremely happy with it. It serves extremely well in Destiny as expected, and feels impeccable when doing Velocity 2X runs. That's no mean feat.
on April 23, 2014
I bought these to replace my PS4 controller's thumbsticks, as I never liked the way they felt. I'm probably going to buy a 10 pack of these soon to have as backups, and to help my friends upgrade theirs. I wrote up detailed instructions on how to swap them here: [...]
on May 9, 2014
Verified Purchase
I replaced the joysticks on my DS4(PS4 controller) with these, and I couldn't be happier! Not only are they more durable and built better, but they are just a tad taller, making them more precise at movements!
on December 14, 2014
Verified Purchase
I've had my PS4 for awhile now, but recently got an Xbox One on Black Friday. Didn't take long to realize how superior the analog sticks were on the XB One and of course Amazon sells the replacement sticks! I'd known since the earlier console days that the analog sticks were actually compatible with each other between Sony and Microsoft's consoles. I'd done the same with the original Xbox and PS2 analog sticks (xbox sticks on a dual shock 2 for example).

The Dual Shock controllers have always been great ergonomically, but my main complaint about them has always been the analog stick. The DS1-DS3 had the convex surface, all rubber. On the DS4 the design was a little improved, still all rubber surface, however there was now a slightly concave section in the middle, then it has raised outer edges. The issue however, is that the whole surface is still soft rubber. If you play for an extended period of time (or even a short time and you happen to have sweaty/oily hands) it soon became a game of keeping your thumbs on the sticks as they start to slide around. Not to mention they will wear out pretty quickly. My PS4 analog sticks were already showing pretty good signs of wear and I haven't even had it a year yet.

On the XBOne controllers however, the sticks have a nice concave plastic surface (which is important because it won't wear down as easily as the soft rubber) with a nice "sharp" inner ledge I suppose you could call it, to provide nice grip for your thumb. The outer edges are a checkered rubber coating it appears. The outer edges will likely wear eventually because they're rubber, but the inner portion is the important part. Your thumbs will stay on the sticks regardless of if they're sweaty, oily, etc.

Installation was easy if you're technically inclined. Remove four screws on the DS4, use a plastic spudger to crack the top and bottom halves open (be mindful of the ribbon cable connected to the top and bottom halves!), unscrew the circuit board from the top half and remove it from the top half to expose the analog sticks, pull the old ones off, and smack the new ones on, then reassemble in reverse order.

As mentioned in other reviews, the XBone sticks are a touch taller than the DS4 sticks. They also have a slightly narrower diameter overall. The base of the sticks also have a narrower diameter and if you push the stick all the way to one side, you can kind of see into the controller. Not really a big deal in my opinion, but it may bother some people.

**Protip**: Buy some teflon tape (search "PTFE Mouse tape" here on amazon) and wrap the stem portion of the analog stick to avoid getting the "plastic dust" as the sticks wear down. This prevents your analog sticks from wearing down where the stem contacts the controller body, but since it's teflon, it has the added benefit of making movement of the sticks on the outer edges really smooth. I had some teflon tape I purchased for use on my gaming mice (only suckers buy high priced teflon mouse feet) and had the idea back in the PS3/Xbox360 days to wrap the analog sticks in the stuff. Works great and my analog sticks never wear down...at least not the stem portion.
review image review image
on June 7, 2014
Verified Purchase
With the stock thumbsticks my thumbs would always slip away and I'd have to keep readjusting my grip. These are perfect! One thing though, if you feel them rubbing agains something inside the controller, it's because you tightened the screws too much. It happened to me and I read another review here reporting the same issue. Other than that, perfect!
on August 8, 2014
Verified Purchase
As much as I love the feel of the Dual Shock 4 controller, these thumbsticks are superior and will keep your thumbs glued in one place. They fit perfectly as a replacement, although be careful when disassembling your PS4 controller unless you like hunting for tiny springs in your carpet.
on June 14, 2014
Verified Purchase
The sticks were brand new and came in a bubble-wrap lined envelope. No other paperwork or packaging, just a ziplock with the sticks inside.

I had been using the Grip-It thumbgrips which were "ok" but the one issue I had with them was that they rubbed the controller when at full tilt.
The Xbox One sticks fit perfectly as if they were designed for the DS4, which I expected but was still pleasantly surprised at. I actually loved the factory DS4 grips and if they didn't have the potential of tearing, as I know they eventually would, I would have just used them. These sticks are only so I don't have to keep replacing anything. Getting the controller apart was a little tricky at first but now that I know the key areas to pry open first I can get the controller back open within 5 minutes.

One word of advice I have, since I ran into this issue, was when you screw down the control board after installing the sticks dont screw it down really tight. Play with the sticks before putting the back housing back on while you are tightening the circuit board down. If it's too tight the sticks will rub the board at full tilt (I think it was just the left one that did it). Not a big deal but I thought I'd mention it. The main areas to pry are next to the audio jack and the L/R triggers (so inner top left and right and the bottom middle portion). Also, make sure not to pull the triggers along with the backing when pulling the back off, you should be able to get the back off while working the triggers through the hole and not pull them along with the housing. If you do pull them out the spring mechanism pops out along with them and are difficult to get back in as I've heard. I was able to get the back off and keep the triggers in place, much easier process.

With all that said, if you don't want to mess with sending your controller back to Sony for replacement sticks all the time and just don't enjoy grip covers then get these if you also don't mind a little "tinkering". Enjoy!
on April 12, 2014
Verified Purchase
Used these to swap the ones in my PS4 controller and they worked fine. Only gripe was having to wait for it to ship from china. Other than that great product.
on July 16, 2014
Verified Purchase
These are very nice replacements to the factory Dual Shock 4 thumbsticks.

However, the sticks do exhibit some play after installation as replacements for the Dual Shock 4 thumbsticks. To fix this issue, I had to add a small piece of electrical tape over the connecting plug before putting on these thumbsticks.

Now, it fits perfectly, the thumbsticks no longer wiggle slightly, and it feels like it came from the factory as it should have came.
on August 16, 2014
Verified Purchase
I bought these to replace my prematurely worn out DS4 sticks. I have an Xbox One and I always loved the extreme grip on the controller sticks. I decided to give these sticks a go since it's common knowledge now these are compatible with the DS4.

Here are differences on the xbox one sticks vs normal DS4 sticks.

1. The sticks are a little bit taller than the DS4's (a couple millimeters). That may make the feeling of using those a little strange at first, especially if you haven't used an Xbox one controller before.

2. The surface area of the sticks is less than on the DS4 sticks. You may feel at first that there's not enough area to put your fingers but the grip on these sticks more than make up for it, your fingers won't slip no matter how sweaty or greasy your hands normally are.

3. The material on these sticks is far more durable than the one on the DS4 sticks.

Now for the downsides.

1. Since these sticks are taller the centering spring force will feel weaker. Some people might like it but others may want the stronger centering force of the DS4 sticks.

2. Since the material on the Xbox one stick is designed to be grippy, it may feel a little abrasive and uncomfortable at first especially on long sessions, you will get used to this fast.

In conclusion, if you want the absolute best grip on your DS4 sticks and don't mind your sticks to feel a little bit "looser" this may probably be the best choice for you.

Note: If you plan to use these on the DS4 you should be well aware and informed on the procedure of disassembling your DS4 and the common problems you may face. Don't proceed before that, there are explanatory videos on YouTube and some explanatory posts on the PS4 Mods section of reddit and other places.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations