5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!
Published on January 11, 2008 by Q. Hunt

2.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to love this for our boy
Published on April 19, 2010 by RSD48

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, January 11, 2008
Q. Hunt ":q!" (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Orijen Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food, 5 lb (Misc.)
I have a 8.5 month old Aussie mix. She's about 42 lbs now. This food is magic!! I love it! She's never been "food motivated" and so she's always been a little reluctant to eat her kibble, but she honestly LIKES this stuff. She'll do tricks for it like it is a treat. More importantly, her poop is GREAT on this kibble. Finally, it's easy to pick up! This food is a godsend.

We've previously tried Innova EVO, California Natural Lamb and Rice Puppy and Adult, and Canidae All Life Stages. Innova EVO gave her the runs, but she was a new puppy. (The pet food store said EVO was rich enough for puppies. My vet disagreed.) California Natural seemed better, but her poop was always so soft that it was messy to pick up, and she never really liked it. She liked the taste of Canidae better - so much so that she would pick it out when I mixed it with the Lamb and Rice. However, her poop didn't really improve until we shifted to Orijen.

Magic. This stuff is magic, I say. Besides being the magic food for my dog, it's also made in Canada with almost all Canadian ingredients. From what I've read, they get rice from California and Lamb from New Zealand, but otherwise -- everything comes from farms in and around Alberta. No food recalls on this brand!

One word of advice: like with all good dog foods, it's best to keep the bag tightly closed. It goes stale.

5.0 out of 5 stars This food saved the day, October 20, 2010
Cherry Moskalik (Grand Blanc, MI, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Orijen Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food, 5 lb (Misc.)
I am not the review leaving type, but I do read them - therefore I must in good concience tell of my experience. This food is a life saver for my cocker. Our vet and the vet specialist suspected an allergy and he was on Hills ZD prescriptive food, the allergy manifested itself mainly with ear issues, not unusual in a Cocker but the ears went from normal difficult cocker ears to close to end disease ear canals with an ablation recommended. We did surgery to remove tumors in his ears, we tried expensive medication, he was still in pain. Then, my vet ran out of the ZD. I looked around for another food and read about Orijen. We gave it a try, after two weeks the change was significant, his nose is no longer cracked and dry, his eyes no longer weep and his ears don't hurt him anymore! They get better each day and I can only attribute it to this food. Try it, I am thrilled I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in Class Dry Dog Food, July 19, 2010
This review is from: Orijen Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food, 5 lb (Misc.)
Pet food has an immense range of quality that you can very roughly categorize into three levels. (1) super cheap food that's basically feeding your dog garbage (1-2 stars); (2) food that's a good compromise on price and quality, containing some ingredients that aren't ideal but overall a healthy product (3-4 stars); and (3) "price is no object" foods that make no compromises (5-6 stars). Orijen doesn't just fall into category 3, it's the best of it. It's expensive, but you will not find a better dog food anywhere. Period.

Orijen is a Canada-based company that raises its own chickens, employs its own fisherman to catch fish and deliver them fresh, uses whole eggs instead of dried egg products, and loads its products with the highest quality ingredients you'll ever find in dog food. It's good for your dog's muscles, heart, coat, skin, and is the most biologically appropriate dry dog food there is. Instead of grains for the carb content that it needs to form the kibble, Orijen uses highly digestible fruits and vegetables with nutritious antioxidants and vitamins.

Check out the first 6 ingredients in this product: Fresh deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, fresh deboned pacific salmon (a natural source of DHA and EPA), herring meal. Meat, meat, meat, good carbs, meat, meat.

Compare that to the first 6 ingredients in Hill's Science Diet Adult Small Bites Dry Dog Food, which I just selected by picking the first large size that came up in a search for "hill's science diet dry dog food." Chicken, ground whole grain corn, ground whole grain sorghum, ground whole grain wheat, chicken by-product meal, soybean meal. Meat, grain, grain, grain, low-quality animal filler like beaks and feet, and more grain. It's loaded with grains that are cheap and known to be difficult to digest, often the cause of allergic reactions in dogs, and not nutritious.

If you want a good compromise product, go for something like Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul Dry Dog Food for Adult Dog, Chicken Flavor, 35 Pound Bag, a very good food that's a bit more affordable than Orijen. If you want the best of the best for your fuzzy-faced friend(s), get Orijen.

Final note: this is extremely rich food. Introduce it very slowly, even more slowly than you normally would a new food, and expect some loose stools during the process. We started with 1/6 new food and upped it by 1/6 every week, so we took a month a half to transition completely to Orijen. That helped a lot.

4.0 out of 5 stars orijen dry dog food, May 26, 2008
This review is from: Orijen Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food, 5 lb (Misc.)
My dogs absolutely love this food. I did a food test by putting each dog food we have at home next to the Orijen, every time, our dogs chose the Orijen bag! Thanks, The Cohen family, and the three fur-kids

4.0 out of 5 stars good quality per my research but price... jeez, October 3, 2012
This review is from: Orijen Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food, 5 lb (Misc.)
I'm giving 4 stars to this product because the price is sooo high.
But I would say this food is good quality per my research.
I used to feed my dogs with "puppy chow" and later when they got older "dog chow"
I have parrots and I always researched for the best food for them because I was a first time parrot owner. While I was researching for my parrots food I started to think about my dogs... so I realized I may have dogs for years but I never took the time to check their food.
Dog Chow is a very popular brand and I always though it was at least an average quality for my dogs that also eat fresh home made food.
I researched and find out that good part of the food is made by corn!!!! I felt so guilty for my babies and I started to look which dog food would be more recommended.
I ended up finding this web site: [...]
Based on the reviews and information found on the website above I decided to buy orijen and also Instinct.
Problem is that my babies tummy is used with "dog chow" and I know they can get sick with this new food even it's the best quality you can get. So I'll just start to mix a little bit with the "dog chow" until they get used with orijen and instinct.
If you are one person that knows how to prepare balanced and nutritious fresh home made food for dog I would say to stick on that. There is no processed food that is better than a fresh food. The trick about home made food is that you need to know how to prepare to cover all your dogs needs, if you don't know to do that you may ended up giving less nutritional food than a processed food can give to your dog.
Again, something I told before in a review. Please be responsible on caring and loving your animal. Remember you have friends and family, your pet has only you. You may live beyond 70 years old, you dog will have only 10 years to enjoy his life and will totally depend of you to be happy and healthy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Allergy solver., January 3, 2011
This review is from: Orijen Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food, 5 lb (Misc.)
My dog was shedding excessively and constantly had allergy problems, even on the once a day vet allergy pills. Switched her over to this food and she does not even have to take the pills anymore. Make sure to adjust the amount you feed according to the back of the bag as this will make your dog porky if you give it too much and do not have a very high activity level. Was very easy to switch her over. Mixed it in 20/80 with her old stuff and she picked out all the Orijen and ate it and left the old stuff on the first day. She was eating it regularly with no bad side affects from then on.

2.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to love this for our boy, April 19, 2010
RSD48 (Richmond, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Orijen Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food, 5 lb (Misc.)
We were unhappy with the food our breeder used. High percentage of corn. After reading lots of labels, in theory this seemed to be just what we were looking for. We went through a careful, slow transition, but this turned out to be way too harsh on our Havanese's GI tract. He ate it just fine, but we would see a progression to larger and more greenish stool, then loss of form until he had a true liquid event. That was the end of that!

For anyone with a toy breed, if you would like another option, we eventually transitioned over to Wellness Small Breed Wellness Super5Mix Adult Health Small Breed Formula Dry Dog Food . This turned out to be both a food he loves and the transition was effortless. He is behaving very puppy-like @ 3 years old which I feel is a good thing. The Wellness food brand was never part of the 2007 animal food recall list for melamine (rice gluten) and is corn, soy and wheat free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our beagle loves it and it helped with her skin issues, June 2, 2013
This review is from: Orijen Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food, 5 lb (Misc.)
We had been feeding our beagle some fairly high-end dog food from a local manufacturer that also provided free dog food to the rescue shelter we got her from. Needless to say we showed our gratitude by staying loyal to that brand for many years and she certainly scarfed it down as beagles are wont to do with food. After a few years we noticed she was developing a pronounced problem with dry scaly skin, lots of itching, and gnawing at "hot spots" here and there. We tried adding fish oil which seemed to help somewhat but were still stymied at a solution. Our border/doggy daycare recommended we switch to Orijen as it is the carnivore diet that most appropriately matches that for dogs in that it doesn't have grains. I got to thinking about that and sure, you don't see beagles out nibbling on sheafs of wheat or ears of corn. Our old beagle would have eaten rabbits if I would let her catch one, and lets face it...dogs are essentially wolves who lost their fear of man and started eating the trash they threw out. So we started off with the Orijen Adult Dog Food dry version and she scarfed it down like the beagle she is. Within weeks the skin problems disappeared, her coat was much healthier and the hot spots went away. For fund we mix things up with the Orijen Fish Dog Food which she just goes nuts over. It has a nice compliment of vitamins for your dog's health and much of what Orijen uses is locally or regionally sourced and it's shipped fresh to our retailer and Amazon.com. This doesn't seem to be as worked up, processed, or treated as other dog foods and if I'm going that same route myself why shouldn't I do that for my best friend? Our girl has been so happy and healthy on Orijen I couldn't contemplate switching to another brand!

5.0 out of 5 stars the best!, October 14, 2009
This review is from: Orijen Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food, 5 lb (Misc.)
just the best dry food for my little Yorkie - the only one I buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great food for a Pomeranian, March 24, 2011
This review is from: Orijen Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food, 5 lb (Misc.)
I have tried out food from Iams which is pure garbage, to hills science diet, which was not bad, to wellness, which my dog didn't like at all as it was hard for him to break down.

When i read about Orijen and just by looking at the ingredients, i knew this product had to be good. My dog loves it so much, that where before he would eat half off the daily dose needed with other products; with orijen, he eats all of his daily dose and begs for more. this food is trully a great product for him and i am glad that there are companies out there who actually care about animals and what they put in their stomachs and not just money oriented. Sure it is expensive, but in order to use expensive products, money has to be paid out and all companies are not going to be running a business for free. i believe that if you can afford to feed yourself good food, then the animals that live with you should also not be deprived from good food either.

thank you Orijen - Great product and i would recommend it to anyone.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›