5.0 out of 5 stars best 11 dollars I ever spent, February 15, 2008
This review is from: Orion 04110 Star Target Planisphere (Black) (Electronics)
If you live between 30 and 50 deg latitude (basically all of US, except for the lower tips of Texas/Florida), this is an accurate star map that also includes deep space objects (other galaxies, etc.), pseudo-constellations ("the winter hexagon"), navigation aids (big dipper --> polaris, e.g.), the ecliptic, and of course milky way. Dates of meteor showers are also listed on the back. Very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, January 11, 2011
This review is from: Orion 04110 Star Target Planisphere (Black) (Electronics)
I got this to go with the FunScope I got my seven year old son for Christmas. It's easy to read, dead on and durable. Price is good too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool, March 2, 2010
Sean (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Orion 04110 Star Target Planisphere (Black) (Electronics)
Good Planisphere, but you really do need a laser light or something to read it with because the text is so small on it. It does work well and it's accurate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cool, July 10, 2013
This review is from: Orion 04110 Star Target Planisphere (Black) (Electronics)
Simple...easy to use...and gives you information at your fingertips about the stars, planets, etc. It should be helpful while observing the night sky. I do use programs like Stellarium (free) and BackYardEOS for my camera to navigate the sky but it's nice to have the Planisphere also.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good tool that takes some patience, May 29, 2014
This review is from: Orion 04110 Star Target Planisphere (Black) (Electronics)
This does take practice and patience to use. It requires reading directions and thinking.

I got this as part of the beginning kit that came with my scope, but I would have bought one separately. I remember using one of these in my college astronomy class, so it has a certain nostalgia to it. On the issue of electronic obsolescence, here is my take, I have an app on my phone and my tablet that is a star chart (Google Sky Map) that is good, too. The advantage of the app is the search feature, but the planisphere is actually easier to read and decipher with some practice. A disadvantage to the planisphere is that a lot of relatively bright stars aren't on it, but that also makes it easier to read and landmark. I plan to use the app and the planisphere as complimentary tools to plan and execute searches instead of seeing it as one or the other.

One note, you will want a red flashlight to use with this. It is obviously not self-illuminating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Orion Star Target Planisphere Purchase, December 30, 2010
MLEZ (Charleston, SC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Orion 04110 Star Target Planisphere (Black) (Electronics)
I purchased this Star Planisphere for my 7 year old grandson for Christmas. Although it was smaller in size than I had hoped (my own fault because I didn't look for dimensions), it was a great gift for him. Easy to use and has so much information that he can store. Thank you for selling this item and acting so expediciously. Great seller and I would buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars It has more things on it then I thought, April 24, 2014
This review is from: Orion 04110 Star Target Planisphere (Black) (Electronics)
It was nice to pick the month and know what I can go outside and see. I sure love this!

4.0 out of 5 stars it was given as a gift, February 3, 2014
This review is from: Orion 04110 Star Target Planisphere (Black) (Electronics)
As far as I can tell my daughter in law loves this gift. I would recommend this for someone starting out!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars No batteries required, December 24, 2014
This review is from: Orion 04110 Star Target Planisphere (Black) (Electronics)
Was recommended by a member of the Atlanta Astronomy Club. Works great when the sky is clear. It's nice to know what can be viewed before going outside. It nice because it's not electronic......no batteries required. Works all the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent planisphere but single-sided design may not be ideal for everyone, September 14, 2014
This review is from: Orion 04110 Star Target Planisphere (Black) (Electronics)
These single-sided star wheels (planisphere) are pretty good but, personally, I prefer the 2-sided design of "The Night Sky" (by David Chandler).