Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

on May 14, 2007
I picked up this Barlow lens after reading that Barlow lenses were must haves for any telescope kit because they basically double (in theory) the amount of eyepieces you have. For anyone who doesn't know how they work, you simply slide the Barlow lens into your eyepiece slot like a normal eyepiece, and then your normal eyepiece will slide into the Barlow. So in essence, if you have 2 eyepieces, with the Barlow lens you now have 4. The magnification boost that the Shorty gave to my .10mm and .17mm eyepieces was pretty incredible to say the least. I use a Konus 4.5" reflector telescope and with the Barlow boosting my .10mm eyepiece Saturn looked absolutely stunning. You could see the divisions inside the rings, something that was not easily done with the eyepieces alone. Another very convenient thing is that the Shorty can be swapped out just as fast as any normal eyepiece. That being said, I would find the object I was looking for with the wider viewed .17mm eyepiece, then just swap out that one with the .10mm Barlow-loaded eyepiece and the object would be in the center of my FOV within a few seconds. Long story short, if you want some extra magnification power for your eyepieces, look no further. At first I was a bit skeptical that the magnification boost wouldn't be very noticeable, but I was pleasantly surprised at just how well it really worked. For the price, you can't beat it.
33 comments|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 9, 2009
Pros:
-----
Doubles your lens collection. My son has a 90mm mak-cass. He has two lenses that yield 50X and 75X. The barlow doubles them to 50X, 75X, 100X, 150X. This is about as large as a 90mm can go.

I use this barlow on my Dobsonian. I like having more magnification without reducing the exit hole on my eyepiece. Some eyepieces are not as good around the edges. A barlow gives a larger clear spot while increasing magnification. This is win/win. I often use the barlow, even if I have a lens that will yield the same magnification.

Cons:
-----
A barlow will give good magnification on items that can be magnified, such as the moon and planets. When looking at deep sky objects, I often like wider fields and lower magnification.

This particular barlow offers great bang for the buck.
on September 24, 2014
First of all, judging by some of the negative reviews, I think some folks are expecting too much from the benefits of a Barlow -- it's not a cure-all, and it's not intended to achieve super-magnification, and will only serve to disappoint in poor observing conditions (i.e., light polution or unsteady skies). The use of a Barlow with a high power eyepiece, so you can see rocks on the Moon is pure folly -- when pushed too far, the use of a Barlow will only render fuzzy images. They're fine when coupled with a 25 or 30mm eyepiece, but if you try doubling the power of a 10 or 12mm, you're only asking for disappointment, unless you observe from a mountain top.

By the way, using a Barlow will preserve the Eye-Relief of the eyepiece its coupled to. So if you wear glasses, a Barlow saves you from having to use a short focal length eyepiece (with short Eye Relief) to double the power.

The Orion Shorty PLUS was my first Barlow -- in 1997. I purchased it along with a 30mm Ultrascopic eyepiece, which today is considered among the best in the world for clarity and contrast, but after '99 was downgraded with cheap glass, and manufacturing was shifted from Japan to Taiwan, resulting in overpriced junk. This Barlow is NOT the Shorty Plus, (which was made in Japan with excellent glass) but it's almost as good.

The Shorty Plus Barlow and that Ultrascopic have seen duty together hundreds of times, and have given me countless gratifying moments and images. In 2007, I replaced it with a Televue 2x, but I must say, that the Orion Shorty Plus holds its own by comparison. Yes, the Televue is noticeably better in very good skies and conditions, but those conditions don't present themselves very often.

I believe this is probably equal to the best bargain available for a 2x Barlow (even though the Shorty Plus was better). By the way, the standard length Barlow [non-Shorty] is not as good.

If you're looking for a good Barlow, you won't be disappointed with this one. But if you can find the older Shorty Plus made in Japan -- scoff it up!

Highly recommended
5 Stars
on January 23, 2006
I got one of these for my StarBlast 4.5EQ and I was amazed--the Cassini division and cloud bands on Saturn were opened to my view. Highly recommended for getting that last bit of "oomph" from a small telescope.
88 comments|19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 25, 2008
This will be a good product for most applications, and is very convenient for lighter scopes. Works just fine in my Meade ETX-90. But shows its weakness, as all less expensive eyepieces do, in a very high quality refractor (Stellarvue SV80S). Consider the short Antares 3X Barlow, or the more expensive Orion 2X, if you have a scope with very hiqh quality optics, or might upgrade to it.
on March 6, 2015
Orion products are good to adequate (and their customer service is legendary), the shorty Barlow is one such product. This might be one of the most widely used Barlow lenses and is highly recommended.
Complaints against this product are probably due to the slightly large eyepiece opening. Probably to accommodate a wider variety of eyepieces and components the over-sized opening can cause slight misalignment of eyepieces and creates a small amount of astigmatism. This is not noticeable or problematic with visual use, but can cause a problem if used with photographic or other equipment.
I tried to use this Barlow to increase magnification on a guide scope/camera and the resulting astigmatism was annoyingly noticeable. With a larger eyepiece or camera barrel alignment might be improved. I suspect the lenses used are excellent and not the cause of the astigmatism.
on December 14, 2015
Great addition to any lens you buy for your scope. Remember its 1.25-inch so make sure that's what your aperture size is. This part just doubles any magnification you have. Just put in it first, then pop in your lends and secure both. Then, bang, your 10x lens is now 20x.. This is a must have for any telescope.
on February 24, 2016
I am a complete newbie as I purchased this to go with my Orion 90 mm refractor. Please read the other reviews before using. Also, it is important to note that even using with a wider eye piece, the width of the view will be smaller than using the same eye piece without this barlow lens. I am still using it with the standard eye pieces because I haven't been able to afford the pieces that I want. It is best to do your own research so that you can have reasonable expectations with the scope you are using in conjunction with any eye pieces that you want to use. You need to understand how these work, as well as the limit of your telescope, what it is you want to see, and what you need to do in order to see it, in order to truly appreciate this or any barlow lens. Overall I am very pleased with my purchase.
on September 25, 2013
I bought this lens along with the moon filter for my telescope - starblast 6. It zooms in so much more then the lenses my telescope came with and unfortunately I can't use telescope terminology to describe all benefit of this lens since I am an amateur, but let me put it this way - if you have a telescope, this is a MUST accessory. I look at the moon through this lens and the detail is INCREDIBLE! I highly highly recommend it :)
on August 17, 2012
I used this on my Orion Starblast 4.5 eq reflector telescope, and it worked great! With the "stock" parts that came with it I still had a good view, but this definitely made it better! Although this magnification may be a little too much for the moon (in my opinion), it is awesome for the planets! With this i can see the rings of Saturn and (what i believe are) two of its moons. I can also see 4 of Jupiters' moons and at least one of the stripes on the planet itself! These were all at 150X magnification, with a 6mm eyepiece. As for the other planets, Venus and Mars are little more significant than a red and white dot and i have yet to find any others! As for construction this feels like good quality and is very clear! Great Buy!