5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any amatuer astronomer!
Published on May 14, 2007 by Hollow Frequency

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for most uses
Published on August 25, 2008 by Larry

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any amatuer astronomer!, May 14, 2007
This review is from: Orion 08711 Shorty 1.25-Inch 2x Barlow Lens (Black) (Electronics)
I picked up this Barlow lens after reading that Barlow lenses were must haves for any telescope kit because they basically double (in theory) the amount of eyepieces you have. For anyone who doesn't know how they work, you simply slide the Barlow lens into your eyepiece slot like a normal eyepiece, and then your normal eyepiece will slide into the Barlow. So in essence, if you have 2 eyepieces, with the Barlow lens you now have 4. The magnification boost that the Shorty gave to my .10mm and .17mm eyepieces was pretty incredible to say the least. I use a Konus 4.5" reflector telescope and with the Barlow boosting my .10mm eyepiece Saturn looked absolutely stunning. You could see the divisions inside the rings, something that was not easily done with the eyepieces alone. Another very convenient thing is that the Shorty can be swapped out just as fast as any normal eyepiece. That being said, I would find the object I was looking for with the wider viewed .17mm eyepiece, then just swap out that one with the .10mm Barlow-loaded eyepiece and the object would be in the center of my FOV within a few seconds. Long story short, if you want some extra magnification power for your eyepieces, look no further. At first I was a bit skeptical that the magnification boost wouldn't be very noticeable, but I was pleasantly surprised at just how well it really worked. For the price, you can't beat it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Lens For A Good Price, January 9, 2009
Pros:
-----
Doubles your lens collection. My son has a 90mm mak-cass. He has two lenses that yield 50X and 75X. The barlow doubles them to 50X, 75X, 100X, 150X. This is about as large as a 90mm can go.

I use this barlow on my Dobsonian. I like having more magnification without reducing the exit hole on my eyepiece. Some eyepieces are not as good around the edges. A barlow gives a larger clear spot while increasing magnification. This is win/win. I often use the barlow, even if I have a lens that will yield the same magnification.

Cons:
-----
A barlow will give good magnification on items that can be magnified, such as the moon and planets. When looking at deep sky objects, I often like wider fields and lower magnification.

This particular barlow offers great bang for the buck.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for most uses, August 25, 2008
Larry (Leesburg, VA) - See all my reviews
This will be a good product for most applications, and is very convenient for lighter scopes. Works just fine in my Meade ETX-90. But shows its weakness, as all less expensive eyepieces do, in a very high quality refractor (Stellarvue SV80S). Consider the short Antares 3X Barlow, or the more expensive Orion 2X, if you have a scope with very hiqh quality optics, or might upgrade to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A whole new world, January 23, 2006
I got one of these for my StarBlast 4.5EQ and I was amazed--the Cassini division and cloud bands on Saturn were opened to my view. Highly recommended for getting that last bit of "oomph" from a small telescope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the old Shorty PLUS, but still good, September 24, 2014
First of all, judging by some of the negative reviews, I think some folks are expecting too much from the benefits of a Barlow -- it's not a cure-all, and it's not intended to achieve super-magnification, and will only serve to disappoint in poor observing conditions (i.e., light polution or unsteady skies). The use of a Barlow with a high power eyepiece, so you can see rocks on the Moon is pure folly -- when pushed too far, the use of a Barlow will only render fuzzy images. They're fine when coupled with a 25 or 30mm eyepiece, but if you try doubling the power of a 10 or 12mm, you're only asking for disappointment, unless you observe from a mountain top.

By the way, using a Barlow will preserve the Eye-Relief of the eyepiece its coupled to. So if you wear glasses, a Barlow saves you from having to use a short focal length eyepiece (with short Eye Relief) to double the power.

The Orion Shorty PLUS was my first Barlow -- in 1997. I purchased it along with a 30mm Ultrascopic eyepiece, which today is considered among the best in the world for clarity and contrast, but after '99 was downgraded with cheap glass, and manufacturing was shifted from Japan to Taiwan, resulting in overpriced junk. This Barlow is NOT the Shorty Plus, (which was made in Japan with excellent glass) but it's almost as good.

The Shorty Plus Barlow and that Ultrascopic have seen duty together hundreds of times, and have given me countless gratifying moments and images. In 2007, I replaced it with a Televue 2x, but I must say, that the Orion Shorty Plus holds its own by comparison. Yes, the Televue is noticeably better in very good skies and conditions, but those conditions don't present themselves very often.

I believe this is probably equal to the best bargain available for a 2x Barlow (even though the Shorty Plus was better). By the way, the standard length Barlow [non-Shorty] is not as good.

If you're looking for a good Barlow, you won't be disappointed with this one. But if you can find the older Shorty Plus made in Japan -- scoff it up!

Highly recommended
5 Stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Barlow lens recommended for someone starting out, January 17, 2013
This barlow lens works fairly well and I would recommend it for someone starting out on a limited budget and may not have the ability to purchase mulitple eyepieces in order to achieve different magnifications. As many books, magazines, reviews mention a barlow will double the capacity of an existing set eyepieces at the cost of a single eyepiece.

This barlow lens multiplies the magnification provided through a telescope by a particular eyepiece by two. So if you have a 20mm eyepiece the barlow will make it behave like a 10mm eyepiece. Also the user should be mindful that high magnification competes against image quality particularly around 200x in most cases primarily due to atmospheric conditions, so doubling an eyepiece that already proivdes 150x may not provide as good a quality image than doubling one that provides 90x even though the doubled 150X to 300x image will be larger. There are those rare clear nights one can try to achieve higher magnifications, but where I live Northern Virginia those are few and far between.

Ergonomically a barlow lens lengthens your eyepiece out of the back of your telescope focuser, this model being a "shorty" does a fair job of making a barlow eyepiece combination less unweildy. Image quality through this barlow lens is decent, though now having acquired numerous eyepieces (over a ten year period) I tend to favor single eyepieces which produce high magnification in favor to a barlow combination with lower power eyepiece, since I am looking through less lens elements for the same or similar resulting magnification.

3.0 out of 5 stars fine lines on the moon look blurry, July 21, 2014
Makes things larger? Yes. Also obscures some details, fine lines on the moon look blurry. This doesn't make a huge difference when trying to see Jupiter, still pretty unimpressive (think, just a really big star with moons being little dots of light around it) with a 100mm telescope. Don't expect significant difference in what you see.

Separate review for Orion customer care - they are excellent. I've had a couple email chains between customer support and myself, they give lengthy and thorough responses, very very impressed with Orion as a brand.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Ok., March 26, 2012
I bought this piece for my Orion SkyQuest 4.5 Dobsonian. Overall I would have to say I'm a little bit disappointed with the product. The view through it is inferior to that of a standalone Plossl lens, and it is difficult to focus detail out of it even at lower magnifications. That being said it isn't totally useless, as I have been able to see the polar caps on Mars on a very clear night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes planets more detailed, April 16, 2014
alfie fernandez (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic) - See all my reviews
I just got the Orion Skyquest XT8, and it surprised me how tiny planets look through the eyepiece. This Shorty helps the planets look a bit bigger, and much more detailed

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as promised, November 29, 2008
Andrew Kent (Westborough, MA) - See all my reviews
Well-crafted, nice lens, works as promised. Helped us pull in Jupiter at resolutions we hadn't captured before, as well as a nebula. Very exciting!