5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any amatuer astronomer!
Published on May 14, 2007 by Hollow Frequency

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for most uses
Published on August 25, 2008 by Larry

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any amatuer astronomer!, May 14, 2007
This review is from: Orion 08711 Shorty 1.25-Inch 2x Barlow Lens (Black) (Electronics)
I picked up this Barlow lens after reading that Barlow lenses were must haves for any telescope kit because they basically double (in theory) the amount of eyepieces you have. For anyone who doesn't know how they work, you simply slide the Barlow lens into your eyepiece slot like a normal eyepiece, and then your normal eyepiece will slide into the Barlow. So in essence, if you have 2 eyepieces, with the Barlow lens you now have 4. The magnification boost that the Shorty gave to my .10mm and .17mm eyepieces was pretty incredible to say the least. I use a Konus 4.5" reflector telescope and with the Barlow boosting my .10mm eyepiece Saturn looked absolutely stunning. You could see the divisions inside the rings, something that was not easily done with the eyepieces alone. Another very convenient thing is that the Shorty can be swapped out just as fast as any normal eyepiece. That being said, I would find the object I was looking for with the wider viewed .17mm eyepiece, then just swap out that one with the .10mm Barlow-loaded eyepiece and the object would be in the center of my FOV within a few seconds. Long story short, if you want some extra magnification power for your eyepieces, look no further. At first I was a bit skeptical that the magnification boost wouldn't be very noticeable, but I was pleasantly surprised at just how well it really worked. For the price, you can't beat it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Lens For A Good Price, January 9, 2009
Pros:
-----
Doubles your lens collection. My son has a 90mm mak-cass. He has two lenses that yield 50X and 75X. The barlow doubles them to 50X, 75X, 100X, 150X. This is about as large as a 90mm can go.

I use this barlow on my Dobsonian. I like having more magnification without reducing the exit hole on my eyepiece. Some eyepieces are not as good around the edges. A barlow gives a larger clear spot while increasing magnification. This is win/win. I often use the barlow, even if I have a lens that will yield the same magnification.

Cons:
-----
A barlow will give good magnification on items that can be magnified, such as the moon and planets. When looking at deep sky objects, I often like wider fields and lower magnification.

This particular barlow offers great bang for the buck.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for most uses, August 25, 2008
Larry (Leesburg, VA) - See all my reviews
This will be a good product for most applications, and is very convenient for lighter scopes. Works just fine in my Meade ETX-90. But shows its weakness, as all less expensive eyepieces do, in a very high quality refractor (Stellarvue SV80S). Consider the short Antares 3X Barlow, or the more expensive Orion 2X, if you have a scope with very hiqh quality optics, or might upgrade to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A whole new world, January 23, 2006
I got one of these for my StarBlast 4.5EQ and I was amazed--the Cassini division and cloud bands on Saturn were opened to my view. Highly recommended for getting that last bit of "oomph" from a small telescope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes planets more detailed, April 16, 2014
alfie fernandez (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic) - See all my reviews
I just got the Orion Skyquest XT8, and it surprised me how tiny planets look through the eyepiece. This Shorty helps the planets look a bit bigger, and much more detailed

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money and a must have., October 19, 2013
Very pleased with this purchase. If you just want to look at the moon you'll probably not need this. However, it helps with looking more closely at the moons surface (depending on the type of telescope you have). It's a must have for looking deeper into space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best accessory to my telescope, September 25, 2013
Live_Aloha (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought this lens along with the moon filter for my telescope - starblast 6. It zooms in so much more then the lenses my telescope came with and unfortunately I can't use telescope terminology to describe all benefit of this lens since I am an amateur, but let me put it this way - if you have a telescope, this is a MUST accessory. I look at the moon through this lens and the detail is INCREDIBLE! I highly highly recommend it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, October 25, 2012
A fantastic way to boost magnification. It fits perfectly with my telescope, and it's easy to switch lenses out on it. Anchors on the top of the shorty allow me to turn my eye piece around, and the images are as clear as they can be (I believe that my 6mm lens is dirty). I hope to see Jupiter's Big Red Spot with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, August 17, 2012
I used this on my Orion Starblast 4.5 eq reflector telescope, and it worked great! With the "stock" parts that came with it I still had a good view, but this definitely made it better! Although this magnification may be a little too much for the moon (in my opinion), it is awesome for the planets! With this i can see the rings of Saturn and (what i believe are) two of its moons. I can also see 4 of Jupiters' moons and at least one of the stripes on the planet itself! These were all at 150X magnification, with a 6mm eyepiece. As for the other planets, Venus and Mars are little more significant than a red and white dot and i have yet to find any others! As for construction this feels like good quality and is very clear! Great Buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Barlow eyepiece, December 15, 2010
This Barlow eyepiece is a must. I've used it with my 9mm and 25mm eyepieces. It gives an additional 2X magnification. Simply insert your eyepiece of choice into the Barlow, then insert the Barlow into the scope. It's that easy. Highly recommended.

Orion 08711 Shorty 1.25-Inch 2x Barlow Lens (Black)
$46.99 $39.70