5.0 out of 5 stars A lot for a little...
Published on April 23, 2010 by Craig H. Kinsley

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Waterproof!
Published 19 months ago by Alexander

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot for a little..., April 23, 2010
This review is from: Orion 10x42 Waterproof Monocular (Black) (Electronics)
I was in the market for an inexpensive monocular for animal behavior observations. Something that was portable, durable, waterproof, and uncomplicated. Having had a lot of experience with optics fron Orion, including owning a telescope of theirs that I just love (the XT12 Intelliscope Dobsonian, modded with Televue lenses, Starlight Instruments focuser, and ScopeBuggy). I saw the new 10x42 monocular and it seemed to be just what I was looking for. This little thing is just great. It comes with with a little neck cord that cleverly screws into the base where a tripod or monopod would go, and it has a carrying case. The optics are Orion-quality -- sharp and bright -- with magnification that provides resolution but not at the expense of clarity. For the price, the features of the Orion monocular far exceed what it costs. Orion, again, delivers on its promise. Thanks to them for producing such a fine product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive Monocular, April 30, 2011
This review is from: Orion 10x42 Waterproof Monocular (Black) (Electronics)
The Orion 10x42 Waterproof Monocular is a pretty good solidly built monocular for $40. It's made of a soft yet durable material to withstand scratches and hopefully accidental drops.

It comes in a case (really just a cloth cover, it won't protect the monocular very much from drops), and a lanyard that hooks onto the hole where a stand should screw in. It has a big focusing wheel near the end and a fine focusing wheel near you. It has an eyepiece that is meant for non-glasses viewers when unscrewed and for glasses when screwed up.

I mainly had two problems: I kind of wanted the focusing to be farther, but the farther the monocular can see, the harder it is to have it stay still (which is why a stand comes in handy), and the monocular is BIG. It is about six inches long and about an inch wide. I wanted something pocket-sized, but that's just a personal preference. I searched for a while for an inexpensive monocular that gives crystal clear vision.

If you are looking for what I was and don't really mind the size, then this monocular is the way to go. Just be SURE to CHECK the magnification; make sure it fits your needs. As a quick reference, 10x42 means HOW MUCH MAGNIFIED x HOW MUCH LIGHT IT CAN TAKE IN.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than expected, May 14, 2010
This review is from: Orion 10x42 Waterproof Monocular (Black) (Electronics)
This is an excellent scope! The eyepeice rotates out so you can press your eye to it without hitting the lens, even eyelashes. This eliminates the "black half moon you cant see through" effect entirely. Super bright, excellent near and far focus. Pay attention to the 10x42 so you know what the rating means and you will be thrilled if this is what you need. Orion's customer service is also 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the money, April 23, 2011
This review is from: Orion 10x42 Waterproof Monocular (Black) (Electronics)
I bought a 170 dollar Minox 8x and sent it back. You can read my review of that monocular too. I bought this and find it vastly superior in terms of clarity, light capture, and image quality. It works very well in low light, has great eye relief, and although not a crystal clear image, it is very, very, good. The only thing is it is on the big side. It is really half of a comparable 10x binocular. It is about 2 inches longer, a bit fatter, and several ounces heavier than the Minox 8x that I got it to replace, but at less than half the price, I can live with it. I also have to keep in mind that it is 10x not 8x. Over all, for most purposes, this is a brilliant product. I recommend it to anyone who wants real magnification and clarity of image. I have only had it a day so can't speak to durability. My only complaint is the way the neck strap attaches. It screws into the tripod socket, which is stupid. Absent some unforeseen failure in the mechanism, I expect to be very happy with this product for some time. I will post updates after I use it for a while, but at this price, it is well worth it. I would recommend to a friend and I would buy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars not waterproof, January 3, 2011
This review is from: Orion 10x42 Waterproof Monocular (Black) (Electronics)
After getting moisture in it Orion told me it is water resistant that is not made to be able to fall into water--the optics are very good no complaints and it focuses very close maybe 8 feet. Orion replaced it with no aggravation

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Waterproof!, May 16, 2013
This review is from: Orion 10x42 Waterproof Monocular (Black) (Electronics)
I have had this Orion monocular since June 2012. It has been great up until yesterday, when it made contact with water for the first time. I went hiking through a near by forest with a friend, and we had to cross through areas with small waterfalls. I had never tested this product's "water-proofness" or water resistance, but I didn't think that I had to. When I went to use this piece, I found that it was fogged up. So when I got home I took the pieces that I could apart, and found moister in every layer of lens. Everything else in my pack survived except this monocular. I don't think this product is really even water resistant. So I bought this monocular to be able to use when wet, and it did not perform. If you intend to buy a monocular for the same reason, then don't buy this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't call this pocket size, January 21, 2011
This review is from: Orion 10x42 Waterproof Monocular (Black) (Electronics)
I bought this because I have very low vision and I need a mono-scope to see everything from my toes, menus at fast food restaurants to street lights. What I really like abut the mono-scope is how easy it is to find things through the viewfinder. The image is also large and very clear with no obvious distortion around the edges.

My biggest complaint is the size. It does not fit into most pockets of skirts or pants. It is quite large both in diameter and length. It does have a neck strap, but its size makes it uncomfortable to have it just hang on you neck if you are shopping or riding a bike. It takes up almost half my purse. It is taller than a plastic juice glass and wider than my wrist (and I am not skinny).

Now to end on a positive note. You can focus it at a certain distance and it will stay focused at that distance. So if you are watching a play you only have to focus it once for the whole play. This helps if you want or need to look at something quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Second Review-update, April 25, 2011
This review is from: Orion 10x42 Waterproof Monocular (Black) (Electronics)
The first monocular sent did not work properly, the zoom function was "sticky". I contacted the company and originally got little satisfaction- basically the rep said there was nothing they could do, if I didn't like it, I could return it. This prompted a negative review on here.

Shortly after that review was posted, I was contacted by another rep-apparently a supervisor, who apologized and offered to replace the unit at no charge. After some fits and starts, they did so.

I am pleased with the performance of this monocular. It provides good magnification, the zoom works well and in general it meets all of my expectations, and I would recommend the product to my friends.

I wish the first monocular had worked, but the bottom line is that the company stood behind its product and ended up with a satisfied customer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not one of Orion's better products, August 12, 2013
Eric Tatara (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Orion 10x42 Waterproof Monocular (Black) (Electronics)
I purchased this monocular since I have owned several telescopes and binoculars from Orion and have overall been pleased with those prior scopes. However, this monocular is of very poor quality and certainly not something I expected based on the price range. I'm really comparing my experiences with mid-range products. I had, for example, a pair of Orion 10x50 binoculars that cost something around $130, so I expected this monocular to compare favorably.

The first serious problem with this scope is that the optics were not uniformly in focus. When the image center was focuses, the periphery was not, and visa-verse. Optics in this price range have no room for this sort of poor performance.

The second major issue is that the focusing mechanism is far too tight and difficult to turn. There are separate "fine" and "coarse" focusing rings on this scope, however even the "fine" ring is inappropriate for any sort of fine adjustment. The
"coarse" ring is so tight that one simply cannot hold the scope steady while focusing. I had to essentially move the scope away from my face, twist the focus ring with considerable force, and then move it back into view. I contrast this with virtually every other telescope and binocular I've owned, even those costing far less, and wonder who did the quality assurance on this scope. It's frankly unacceptable to design and manufacture a $60+ telescope that performs akin to something found in a flea market.

One final criticism is that the scope does not come with any lens caps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy with product, December 10, 2010
This review is from: Orion 10x42 Waterproof Monocular (Black) (Electronics)
Purchased this for it's size. I needed something to go into an inside pocket of hunting coat, but didn't want bulky binoculars, this is perfect. Viewing quality is good and it also works mechanically well. Good Orion product.

Orion 10x42 Waterproof Monocular (Black)
$59.99