5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the Price, June 25, 2013
This review is from: Orion 5378 Paragon HD-F2 Heavy Duty Tripod (Electronics)
I bought this tripod to be used with the following equipment:

- Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Perfect, you have to reinforce the tripod adapter that comes with bins otherwise too shaky, there are instructions in the web for doing this)

- Celestron Skymaster 20x80 (Perfect)

- Zhumell Tachyon 25x100 (These are VERY heavy but I am able to use them without too much hassle)

- Orion StarMax 90mm TableTop Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope (Very Good, You have to remove the head and attach the tabletop mount to the tripod or else buy some kind of adapter and ditch the tabletop and instead use the tripod head which should work better).

hope it helps...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tripod though heavy, February 23, 2013
This review is from: Orion 5378 Paragon HD-F2 Heavy Duty Tripod (Electronics)
I bought this tripod for digiscoping. I had tried a number of tripods before I stumbled across this one; I had given up because other tripods in my price range simply couldn't handle the weight of my spotting scope and camera. The one drawback is that the tripod is heavy, but I won't deduct stars because that's to be expected at this price point - decent carbon-fiber tripods cost hundreds of dollars. In addition, the weight helps to stabilize the tripod. I plan to take it on occasional short (1-3 mile max) walks/day hikes and I expect it to be a burden; it is definitely not for longer hikes or for backpacking.

Pluses: This tripod is very strong and sturdy indeed, and the head is more than capable of supporting scopes and heavy cameras even at extreme angles. There's a circular level. It's tall enough to be comfortable for my 6'2" brother to stand and look straight through a camera. The quick-release plate is very easy to use; this is a fantastic feature. Knobs, screws, and levers tighten securely. The feet are spiked on the end for rough terrain, and they also have rubber "boots" that can be lowered to provide stability on flat/hard surfaces and to protect vulnerable surfaces such as my hardwood floors. The legs and the knobs on the head have markings so that you can measure your adjustments.

All in all, this is a remarkable bargain. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tripod. Very Sturdy., August 5, 2014
This review is from: Orion 5378 Paragon HD-F2 Heavy Duty Tripod (Electronics)
Really nice quality. Very sturdy. Bought for Orion Giant View Binoculars. Worked perfectly with the binoculars, they are very heavy & it did a great job. Just a warning about shipping returns though, i had to return my binoculars because they were to large for my face… so i also decided to return the tripod. Shipping was about $30 to return tripod to Orion, because it wasn't amazon prime but amazon market place & the tripod weighs 11lbs with box etc. The tripod was so nice i almost kept it for some future use instead of wasting $30 bucks on return shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy. Good Quality, December 22, 2014
orgfarmer (fingerlakes,ny) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Orion 5378 Paragon HD-F2 Heavy Duty Tripod (Electronics)
This is a solid, easily adjustable, tripod with smooth motion in both horizontal and vertical directions. I use it for a spotting scope for bird watching - mostly from an indoor position in front of large windows. Occasionally take it outdoors for birdwatching. A good buy for a solid tripod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, December 18, 2014
This review is from: Orion 5378 Paragon HD-F2 Heavy Duty Tripod (Electronics)
Like the reviews I read before purchasing this, I confirm that this is a very sturdy and well built tripod. I'm using it to hold a spotting scope that's about 10-15 lbs and it works great. There are other cheaper tripods but I think you get what you pay for.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the best tripods I've ever worked with. Filmmakers? Definitely. Stargazers? Absolutely., September 9, 2014
This review is from: Orion 5378 Paragon HD-F2 Heavy Duty Tripod (Electronics)
This is one of the best tripods I have ever worked with. I have worked with tripods that range from $20 all the way to $1500, and I have got to say, it is incredible. It is amazingly durable, and very smooth and precise in its movements.

Let's start with the durability: I use the tripod for film-making, to support my small-ish Canon EOS Rebel T3i DSLR, which is not by any means a heavy camera, but judging by the weight and heavy metal of this tripod, I would say this could hold a weight of up to 25 pounds or more ( Just guessing.) I wanted to invest in a high quality tripod that would last me a long time, and, though I've only owned it for a couple weeks now, I would say that it will last me quite a while, despite heavy use. The tripod is quite heavy, but that's not a really big issue unless you'll be carrying it long distances like on a nature hike or something (I'm sure a bag would make it much easier to carry, though.) Long story short, the tripod is quite heavy, weighing in at around 7.5 lbs, but is definitely worth the extra workout because of it's incredible durability.

And it's not just a bulky, heavy-metal tripod, the head that comes on it is a very smooth and fluid two-way pan head that is perfect for any purpose. The locks for the head's movement are incredibly sturdy. The vertical lock, when moved firmly into the lock position is, well, locked into place. Go ahead, try to move it. And of course the horizontal lock is the same, very sturdy. Even the elevator crank is fluid and smooth! I have gotten shots using the elevator crank to move the camera up, and the final result was not shaky and, in fact, very smooth (Of course this comes with a tension knob to control how easy it is to turn the crank.) I'm not an astronomer or even an owner of a telescope, but I can say that, if you need precise and accurate movements, this tripod is perfect. Long story short, the tripod has a beautifully smooth two-way pan head that offers precise, smooth movements.

Overall, this tripod is definitely one of the best tripods I have ever worked with due to its durability and its smooth panning and tilting abilities. And for only $100? This tripod is a steal! Well worth the money, considering I'll probably get a good number of years using it. Filmmakers? Definitely. Stargazers? Absolutely. I would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting a durable, sturdy and smooth tripod. I would not, however, recommend it to anyone wanting something they can carry around with them a lot. While 7 lbs may not seem like a lot, walking around with this heavy of a tripod can make your arm feel a little tingly. If you do carry it with you, I'd suggest buying a bag so you can sling it over your shoulder.

5.0 out of 5 stars This tripod is perfect for the camera and watching the stars at night, August 17, 2014
Tippy (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Orion 5378 Paragon HD-F2 Heavy Duty Tripod (Electronics)
I live on a hill and I have birds galore in my back yard. I tempt them with food and flowers and new bushes and small trees, that I have planted since I moved here four years ago. I recently bought a camera and two pair of binoculars (one for birds and one for the sky at night). This tripod is perfect for the camera and watching the stars at night. I recommend this product 100%. It is heavy duty enough to handle even bigger equipment than I have. So no hassles for the equipment I own, even when I put the larger heavier lens on my camera. I love it, and for what I do I know you would too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this tripod, January 26, 2015
This review is from: Orion 5378 Paragon HD-F2 Heavy Duty Tripod (Electronics)
Love this tripod! Very smooth, very stable. I'm using it for dSLRs, even tho doesn't directly support portrait mode. The first thing after mine arrived was to order an extra shoe (for fast camera swap). Next was to sew up one leg of old denim jeans into a carrying bag... along with a denim strap for shoulder carry, and velcro added to a rear pocket to hold the extra shoe. Works great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tripod, February 15, 2014
This review is from: Orion 5378 Paragon HD-F2 Heavy Duty Tripod (Electronics)
The tripod arrived in a timely manner. I mounted a Celestron spotting scope on it and it works beautifully. The adjustments on the head work well and the legs are substantial. The quality of the tripod is very good for the price. I am pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purdy sturdy, January 14, 2014
This review is from: Orion 5378 Paragon HD-F2 Heavy Duty Tripod (Electronics)
After going having several light-weight P.O.S. tripods fall apart on me over the years, I was very pleased with the apparent quality of this tripod. It's a fairly large, solid, hefty object; I wouldn't want to backpack it any distance, but I can see laying it in the back of a car during a bird outing. I bought it mainly for an indoor spotting scope, in hopes that it would not be knocked over easily by rampaging pets... so far it has met that expectation.