4.0 out of 5 stars Great filter
The filter arrived on time, and it performed as stated.

I have a 3" telescope (Celestron C90), so I had to built a home-made adaptor so this filter could fit. I did, and the filter fit fine.

Published 21 months ago by Shmuel Goldstein

2.0 out of 5 stars orion 4.5" sun filter
Lip on filter is 5" not 4.5" does not stay on 4.5" CELESTRON REFLECTOR unless taped to end of tube.
Published 4 months ago by VAL

4.0 out of 5 stars Great filter, October 11, 2012
Shmuel Goldstein (Revava, D.N. Lev HaShomron Israel) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Orion 7747 Safety Film Solar Filter for 4.5-Inch Reflector Telescopes (Electronics)
The filter arrived on time, and it performed as stated.

This is what you'll get: You will see the sun as a silver disk. You will see sunspots. You will also see any transits (Venus is long gone, and so will we by the next time it arrives, but there is a Mercury transit in May 2016 and again in Nov 2019, and then several during the course of the rest of the century). You will NOT see any granularity of the Sun's surface. You will NOT see solar flare or prominances.

Advice: Use high magnification to see details in Sun-spots. I use 133x. (focal length 1200 mm with a 9mm eyepiece).

It's certainly worth the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great filter!, June 9, 2013
Perfect fit. Fantastic view of the sun (when you can find it). It's actually difficult to find the sun when you can't look through the viewfinder! But when you find it, you can actually see a few sun spots.

2.0 out of 5 stars orion 4.5" sun filter, March 13, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Sun is white and fun to look at, February 19, 2013
So the filter fits kind of loosely on my 4.5 starblast..that worried me a bit but it hasnt come off by itself. So far my biggest issue is how do I line the sun up in this thing without looking at the sun through my finder...I got a few good view of it the other day though and I could see quite a few sun spots. The sun comes off a white color with the filter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, October 11, 2012
I've used this about 5 times so far and it works great! The sun appears pure white and you can see around 5 sun spots (currently). Although you can see the sun spots that is really all you get to see, no rays coming off it, it appears as a perfect circle with no light leaving the perimeter of the circe (sun). This works great, love it!

3.0 out of 5 stars They should inform better their Customer, December 13, 2013
The filter works fine. But the real problem is how to find the sun. To find the sun You will need to have a solar finder scope (also sold by Orion), that is the trick.

Rate and Discover Movies